The Purpose of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 28, 2016
Bingo
Every word true.

Now,consider this;
If tongues is a foreign language only given to preach the gospel to some nation that I am not fluent in,
WHY IN THE WORLD IS AN INTERPRETER NEEDED????

Cessationists are just so clever...not
Its the language of God. Not foreign to those who hear his understanding. No spiritual gifts has ceased .They "not seen" function from within the believer. Not of the believer..

Adding to the perfect with lying wonders is not a spiritual gift but rather a curse.

look to the foundation of the doctrine (Isaiah 28) stammering lips (mocking lips) . Joel spoke of the day Acts 2 when God would prophecy to all nations giving them his understanding . And not a platform for making senseless sounds a falling backward . where in the world di they get that Idea of slain in the spirit.

Not something to boast about. Its a curse and used that way throughout the bible. Why make prophecy (God's tongue) without effect so that one might seek after a wonderment amazement gospel ? . What's the advantage?

Like David said destroy the foundation of the Tongue of God . What could those do who do not fall backward making senseless sounds do. they have no filling of the Spirt in that way. He filed us when we first believed .

What kind of sign to the world does making a noise falling backward represent? Mankind is hearing noises that cause unknow wonderments? Where would that lead?

Mar 28, 2016
Wow...so many full gospel posts.

PRAISE GOD!!!!
The gospel of unknown wonderments ?

What is the purpose of falling back slain in the Spirit of Judgment? Where are some verses that would support that kind of idea. Cat got the tongue of those who do seek after the cat's meow, hsss purr.

Mar 28, 2016
He will act like he is open and wanting to ask a question or interact.

Then he will answer you out of a cessationist workbook.

Never actually engaging you.

Put him on ignore.
It is bliss not seeing that robotic mess
You would have to engage in hearing the tongues of God prophecy before you could please him.

Why make a noise fall backward slain in the Spirit. How is that the gospel? Hitting the ignore button will not solve it?

S

Scribe

Well, I never read in acts 2, 8, 10 ore 19, that Spiritism behavings takeing place. In acts 8, the samaritians received the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues.
And again, this teaching we dont find in any letters to the believers.
The athiopean Eunuch in acts 8 went home without laying hands up to receive the Holy Spirit and praying in tongues.
If the Holy Spirit would come into the life of the believer and the Sign for it would be the gift of speaking in tongues, it would not be needed to teach. It would be happend.
The same, if somebody is filled from the Holy Spirit. Speaking in tongues is not the measure for that.
In acts 2, 10 and 19 the Holy Spirit came and revealed the speaking in tongues without asking for.
Yes the pentecostal/charismatic movement is the fastest growing Christian group.
In the bible you find the princip, that the mass is not the measure of to be right.
And you dont know how many will join this groups because of expierience extrasupernatural power and health and wealth. ( like Simeon, the witchcraft in acts 8)
Finaly God knows the heart.
Simon the sorcerer offered money so that he could lay hands on people and give this gift. There was obviously some visible manifestation that took place when the samaritans received the baptism of the Holy Spirit for him to desire this power. Since the speaking in tongues had already been mentioned in previous examples it stands to reason that that is what Simon witnessed that so awed him and caused him to offer money to have this power to lay hands on people. I cannot say for sure that they did but you certainly cannot say for sure that they did not. It is possible they did and it is also possible that Luke assumed that the readers would understand that this was always what happened. We really do not know what happened with the Eunuch at a later time because we cannot make an argument from what is not recorded. For example it is not recorded that Paul spoke in tongues when Anaias laid hands on him to receive the Holy Ghost but later he told the Corinthians he spoke in tongues more than them all and that he prayed in an unknown tongue and sang in an unknown tongue but did not know the meaning and his understanding was unfruitful but his spirit prayed and that was good enough for him and that he would do it anyway even though his understanding was unfruitful (paraphrase) When did he get this gift? Luke does not tell us but by the time you read acts you are able to comprehend that Luke has made it clear that it comes when the Baptism of the Holy Ghost is given and Luke does not have to keep mentioning it after he has already given enough examples to make his case. Research Lucan Pneumentology which is currently a very exciting theological subject that is being discussed in aeminaries around the world. Great bible believing theologians from non pentecostal and pentecostal viewpoints are coming together in agreement on many areas of Luke's Theological Intent concerning the subject of the Holy Spirit in both Luke and Acts. He had theological message that many have missed for centuries but is now being discovered and the writings and publications that are coming out are wonderful in scope. Roger Stronstad is just one of these theologians that is being quoted by non pentecostals as being worth reading on the subject. He has gained a lot of respect among reformists and evangelicals who are opposed to the modern charismatic movement because they are not known for exegeting their positions from the scriptures but rely on experiential evidence. They are saying that Roger Stronstad's recent publications are worth taking a second look at and many non pentecostal scholars have come out publically saying that Stronstads works have been what they were asking for from pentecostals concerning a heremeneutic they could examine as to why they believe as they do.

S

Scribe

The gospel of unknown wonderments ?

What is the purpose of falling back slain in the Spirit of Judgment? Where are some verses that would support that kind of idea. Cat got the tongue of those who do seek after the cat's meow, hsss purr.
There are no scriptures on falling back and laying on the floor.

Have you ever considered that the reason people are not answering you was that there are not any here that are into the falling back, slain in the Spirit, hype?

What makes you think that people who believe in the biblical gift of speaking in tongues are also going to believe in the falling back hype? You seem to think that everyone who believes in speaking in tongues believes in falling back and laying on the floor in church and that is not true at all. You thought your weird "wonderment" espousals were sure argument winners but NO ONE KNOWS what your are saying. That is why you get CRICKETS.

Yes there are people in the charismatic churches that do that. But it is not part of any teaching or doctrine concerning the gift of tongues and if you think that is what pentecostals teach you are misinformed.

In the past two years I have not seen anyone in my church fall back. There are probably some that would do it if the conditions were right for them but we do not have ushers standing behind people in expectation to catch them so that is probably why they do not do it.
When people do this in churches were there is someone there to catch them, I think they are just doing it because they are conditioned to. Maybe they think they will have a vision or something, I have no idea why they do it. I have never done it. There is no scripture for falling back and laying down when someone prays for you. I have heard people testify that they felt what they describe as the power of God come on them and they get weak in the knees and find themselves on the floor and having some trance like experience with the Lord where he speaks to them about something personal. I don't know what to say about that. I will not call them liars. I will leave it between them and God.
The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. Which means God does not force people in the new testament gifts. Those who prophesy can stop when someone else has a prophesy and let them have a turn. Or someone with the gift of tongues can not give it if there is no interpreter. God does not FORCE them to speak. So I do not see it as a scriptural concept for someone to say GOD FORCED me to fall on the floor. Nevertheless I am not going to call them demonized. They might just be being emotional in their pursuit of an experience with God. I would rather have a church full of hungry for God people like that than a dried up judgmental pharisee who looks down their nose at every emotional seeker of God.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
You would have to engage in hearing the tongues of God prophecy before you could please him.

Why make a noise fall backward slain in the Spirit. How is that the gospel? Hitting the ignore button will not solve it?
And I've been drunk in the Spirit too at church ..

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
Simon the sorcerer offered money so that he could lay hands on people and give this gift. There was obviously some visible manifestation that took place when the samaritans received the baptism of the Holy Spirit for him to desire this power. Since the speaking in tongues had already been mentioned in previous examples it stands to reason that that is what Simon witnessed that so awed him and caused him to offer money to have this power to lay hands on people. I cannot say for sure that they did but you certainly cannot say for sure that they did not. It is possible they did and it is also possible that Luke assumed that the readers would understand that this was always what happened. We really do not know what happened with the Eunuch at a later time because we cannot make an argument from what is not recorded. For example it is not recorded that Paul spoke in tongues when Anaias laid hands on him to receive the Holy Ghost but later he told the Corinthians he spoke in tongues more than them all and that he prayed in an unknown tongue and sang in an unknown tongue but did not know the meaning and his understanding was unfruitful but his spirit prayed and that was good enough for him and that he would do it anyway even though his understanding was unfruitful (paraphrase) When did he get this gift? Luke does not tell us but by the time you read acts you are able to comprehend that Luke has made it clear that it comes when the Baptism of the Holy Ghost is given and Luke does not have to keep mentioning it after he has already given enough examples to make his case. Research Lucan Pneumentology which is currently a very exciting theological subject that is being discussed in aeminaries around the world. Great bible believing theologians from non pentecostal and pentecostal viewpoints are coming together in agreement on many areas of Luke's Theological Intent concerning the subject of the Holy Spirit in both Luke and Acts. He had theological message that many have missed for centuries but is now being discovered and the writings and publications that are coming out are wonderful in scope. Roger Stronstad is just one of these theologians that is being quoted by non pentecostals as being worth reading on the subject. He has gained a lot of respect among reformists and evangelicals who are opposed to the modern charismatic movement because they are not known for exegeting their positions from the scriptures but rely on experiential evidence. They are saying that Roger Stronstad's recent publications are worth taking a second look at and many non pentecostal scholars have come out publically saying that Stronstads works have been what they were asking for from pentecostals concerning a heremeneutic they could examine as to why they believe as they do.
Dest Scribe, your explanations about Simon, and the Eunuch convince me not.
If speaking in tongues would be meant,the scripture would say it.
That Paul had the gift of speaking in tongues is revealed. As apostle he had many gifts more then an "normal believer" so as he got more revealation about God then anybody else, except John, so far it is recordet.
Today, it seems that all denominations are far more open to the pentecostal/charismatic teachings, then f.e.30 years ago. Even the Leaders of my church accept an charismatic good talking preacher who is RCC and defends the RRC doctrines.
Even a Roger Stronstad is a human beeing and not inspired.

bojack

Dec 16, 2019
Dest Scribe, your explanations about Simon, and the Eunuch convince me not.
If speaking in tongues would be meant,the scripture would say it.
That Paul had the gift of speaking in tongues is revealed. As apostle he had many gifts more then an "normal believer" so as he got more revealation about God then anybody else, except John, so far it is recordet.
Today, it seems that all denominations are far more open to the pentecostal/charismatic teachings, then f.e.30 years ago. Even the Leaders of my church accept an charismatic good talking preacher who is RCC and defends the RRC doctrines.
Even a Roger Stronstad is a human beeing and not inspired.
Ha, who cares if you're convinced or not ? Do you expect those who've experienced the gifts should cower down because you folks don't .. Maybe you don't have anything much to shout about is my guess .. Do you at least lift your hands when you worship and sing ..
That's a good act of faith and place to start .. Do you get out and preach the gospel and minister on your own and secret at times, get persecuted for Jesus sake, that is what gets you blessings that you can not contain when you make it back to sanctuary .. Or are you ashamed someone might brow beat you at your church if you worship with a little heart ..

Kolistus

Feb 3, 2020
Bingo
Every word true.

Now,consider this;
If tongues is a foreign language only given to preach the gospel to some nation that I am not fluent in,

Another good point, I will actually bring this one up too in the future. Thank you

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Bingo
Every word true.

Now,consider this;

Sorry you have it backwards. Speaking in a tongues requires an interpreter to interpret the tongue being spoken. The speaker knows what he is saying but the audience cannot understand what is said without an interpreter.

Tongues are unknow to the hearer not to the speaker. Pentecostals will accept anything as tongues except real tongues.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Sorry you have it backwards. Speaking in a tongues requires an interpreter to interpret the tongue being spoken. The speaker knows what he is saying but the audience cannot understand what is said without an interpreter.

Tongues are unknow to the hearer not to the speaker. Pentecostals will accept anything as tongues except real tongues.
Your version is not consistent with the descriptions in 1 Corinthians, Acts 2, or Acts 10.

Mar 28, 2016
You misrepresent the views of others because you trust prophecy? Wow.

LoL

No support from the scriptures?

I know what falling back slain in the spirit (the spirit of judgment) doctrine. Its used in many place to indicate some one loves the oral tradition of men rather the the tongue of God's prophecy. No man can serve two Masters as one law.

The sign either supports prophecy or the oral tradition of men's (1 Corinthians 14: 21-22 ) and extension of Isiah 28 the foundation

Have you looked the foundation of tongue in the Old testament .

Just why do the wonderment seekers make senseless sound and fall backward.? Do you know or wonder?

Who doing is doing the filing of the wonderment during the pandemic? It takes three to make it work. Zoom and the couch?

S

Scribe

...wonderments, marveling. The sign seekers
It comes across as if you have coined your own religious sort of "racial slurs" towards the charismatics that you hate so much.

Mar 28, 2016
My church is not known for the falling backwards phenomenon. If I pray for someone I am liable to tell them not to fall backwards because I want them to hear me and get in agreement with the prayer I am praying. I do not see the connection of falling backwards and the scriptures about speaking and praying in tongues.
I can't understand your diatribe but I can tell that it is a negative spin on the gift of tongues. I can see you are venting your hatred of those who practice the gift. I also detect a desire to rewrite church history and put a negative spin on the experience of the early church in regard to this gift. It seems as though you are suggesting that God made a fool of them and laughed at them. If you did not mean to give us that impression why am I getting it from several of your posts.
To be honest it seems that your hate has caused you to not be willing do deal honestly with the subject and exegete the scriptures with sound hermeneutics desiring to explore the scriptures and make a sound case for your interpretation.
Your words are buttered with venom and vitriol and provoking to say the least. This is no way to exegete the scriptures that will bring life and edify others.
Hi thanks for the reply .

That is exactly what tongues. . . the prophecy of God spoken in all the languages of the world does. the faithless seeking after their fill of wonderment self edifying

With stammering lips (mocking ) God mock those who mock prophecy in exchange for a oral tradition of men Its easy to see once a person look's to the foundation . And yet for all the warning they continue to mock the tongues of God and the spirit of judgement falling backwards off their high horses . Judas fell off his high horse backwards a sign of judgement as were others.

Many complain. But do they look to the foundation or except it as a oral tradition.?

Genesis 49:16-17 King James Version (KJV) Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel. Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

I can understanding your dribble. Its what men do before they fall backward. I man not venting hatred .Love rejoices with the truth of the gospel .Our new tongue.

Have you even looked at the foundation of the tongues doctrine .Its found in Isaiah 28 and reapplied in 1 Corinthians 14:21-22

Scripture, the tongue God's prophecy must profit for something .Its those who practice the filling up of wonderment that have changed the history of sign seeker. Study the foundation law the we can be on the same page.

S

Scribe

Bingo
Every word true.

Now,consider this;

I have never understood why those who suggest that tongues were given to evangelize other nations. They did not preach the gospel in tongues on the day of Pentecost. They were speaking about the wonderful works of God and it seems that they were praying, praising, and prophesying but when Peter addressed the crowd and preached the GOSPEL he was not speaking in tongues.

There is no mention in the scriptures of anyone receiving the gift of Tongues and going to a foreign speaking people and presenting the gospel to them in their own language as a result. So why do people say that? Just making it up I guess.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
LoL

No support from the scriptures?

I know what falling back slain in the spirit (the spirit of judgment) doctrine. Its used in many place to indicate some one loves the oral tradition of men rather the the tongue of God's prophecy. No man can serve two Masters as one law.

The sign either supports prophecy or the oral tradition of men's (1 Corinthians 14: 21-22 ) and extension of Isiah 28 the foundation

Have you looked the foundation of tongue in the Old testament .

Just why do the wonderment seekers make senseless sound and fall backward.? Do you know or wonder?

Who doing is doing the filing of the wonderment during the pandemic? It takes three to make it work. Zoom and the couch?
I'm tired of this kind of stupidity from you. You continually misrepresent the views, practices, and experiences of others, but instead of humbling yourself and learning, you persist in your mockery.

I see no point in continuing this conversation.

S

Scribe

Hi thanks for the reply .

That is exactly what tongues. . . the prophecy of God spoken in all the languages of the world does. the faithless seeking after their fill of wonderment self edifying

With stammering lips (mocking ) God mock those who mock prophecy in exchange for a oral tradition of men Its easy to see once a person look's to the foundation . And yet for all the warning they continue to mock the tongues of God and the spirit of judgement falling backwards off their high horses . Judas fell off his high horse backwards a sign of judgement as were others.

Many complain. But do they look to the foundation or except it as a oral tradition.?

Genesis 49:16-17 King James Version (KJV) Dan shall judge his people, as one of the tribes of Israel. Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

I can understanding your dribble. Its what men do before they fall backward. I man not venting hatred .Love rejoices with the truth of the gospel .Our new tongue.

Have you even looked at the foundation of the tongues doctrine .Its found in Isaiah 28 and reapplied in 1 Corinthians 14:21-22

Scripture, the tongue God's prophecy must profit for something .Its those who practice the filling up of wonderment that have changed the history of sign seeker. Study the foundation law the we can be on the same page.
No one knows what this means. Have you been drinking?

Mar 28, 2016
It comes across as if you have coined your own religious sort of "racial slurs" towards the charismatics that you hate so much.
"racial slurs? I don't think so . What nationality am I?

We are to know no man after the flesh .(2 Corinthians 5;26) Some did know Christ after the flesh .The one time demonstration of Him and the Father is over .We know him no more forever. after the flesh

Jesus said in respect to the greatest miracle "born again" to "marvel not" .Marveling like wondering is not believing.
if a person insist on self edifying . Do they need more that just showing at church?

Its a evil generation of faithless men that do seek after them. No sign to wonder after is given.

Who is performing the filling up today during the Pandemic. Is it on hold?