The Purpose of Speaking in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
This may have little or much to do with the topic of this thread, but I just want to say that I think God is getting ready to do some amazing things...And I'm looking forward to seeing him move even though i realize it may be to the sorrow of many.

I'm not happy about that last part, but I realized that it is going to happen along the way towards fulfilling God's promise that the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

*small note* I wrote that yesterday and hesitated to post it because of the sad nature of its results for many...but then in church today pastor preached about how God is not going to pass by the evil any longer, and finished by saying it's actually something to rejoice about because we will see God doing some jaw-dropping things.

For those who know what it's like when God confirms his word, please rejoice with me. For those who don't... I recommend repentance and seeking God until you know what it's like to see him move on your behalf. Actually, I recommend repentance and seeking God until you know what it's like to see him move on your behalf for ALL. Either way, God is going to prove that he alone is the living God. Thank you Jesus.

Love in Jesus to the room,
Kelby

CS1

May 23, 2012
This may have little or much to do with the topic of this thread, but I just want to say that I think God is getting ready to do some amazing things...And I'm looking forward to seeing him move even though i realize it may be to the sorrow of many.

I'm not happy about that last part, but I realized that it is going to happen along the way towards fulfilling God's promise that the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

*small note* I wrote that yesterday and hesitated to post it because of the sad nature of its results for many...but then in church today pastor preached about how God is not going to pass by the evil any longer, and finished by saying it's actually something to rejoice about because we will see God doing some jaw-dropping things.

For those who know what it's like when God confirms his word, please rejoice with me. For those who don't... I recommend repentance and seeking God until you know what it's like to see him move on your behalf. Actually, I recommend repentance and seeking God until you know what it's like to see him move on your behalf for ALL. Either way, God is going to prove that he alone is the living God. Thank you Jesus.

Kelby
just came out of seeking the Lord for about 6 days now and a few days ago I posted a thread about Dan 3. there are three things I sought the Lord for during prayer and fasting. 1. repentance/ revival the church needs both 2. Unity in the Body of Christ 3. God to remove unjust leadership in the State of CA and our nation.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014

Kelby
Hope you are right, but I suppose before this will be, there will come a terrible time for all mankind.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
And to put it simply, thank God that he's the only one who can give speaking in tongues to anyone, and that he does...often when the person isn't even expecting it and even when it hasn't been taught...just when they are seeking God. That's one flaw in your thinking that this all came out of the Azusa Street revival.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Kelby, I haven't read much of what is written in these posts here, but you and I disagree regarding your statement, "And to put it simply, thank God that he's the only one who can give speaking in tongues to anyone." :confused: Initially, I write this because I was reared around people who did this, and I have seen it faked time and time again, and errant people called it "tongues," believed it was "tongues," defined it as "tongues," practiced it as "tongues," and taught it as "tongues." And while I do not want to admit any more than that I have seen and heard "tongues" that originated from the satan, I have been there for this. And furthermore, there are godless religions on this earth which do "tongues." You can find these on the Internet.

Having been around such for 58 of my years, my main response to such persons is pity with prayer for G_D's mercy for them.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Some say that "speaking in tongues" did exist at one time (because it's written in the bible) but is not for today. ( ... ) But OK, let's give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Let's NOT argue whether or not speaking in tongues is for today. We can limit the discussion to the benefits of speaking in tongues DURING the times that the bible DOES allow speaking in tongues, since this is a Bible Discussion Forum and speaking in tongues was given by God to at least some according to the word of God, in the bible.

In other words, since the bible says that speaking in tongues was a gift of the Holy Ghost in the bible)...WHY was it given? WHAT does the bible say it accomplishes (while it is in operation)?

And to be clear about this...whether or not tongues ceased (or will cease) HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ITS PURPOSE DURING THE TIME OF ITS EXISTENCE. So please pay attention to when people are trying to get off topic. We're only looking at what "speaking in tongues" does accomplish, while it is functioning, as described in the BIBLE. What are the benefits? And let's be patient and thorough about it. :)

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
Toungues were a sign that accompanied the message for unbelieving Jews .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Scripture does not support that
Everytime we see its a sign for a jew .
Mark 16

17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Scripture does not support that
1 Corinthians 14:22

“Wherefore tongues are for a sign , not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.”

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Jews have always had 'signs 'accompanied with the message . Tongues is just that . Even when we see in Acts , the gentiles recieve the Holy Spirit ,its the Jews who are given the ' sign ' from the gentiles speaking in tongues, they know from this ' sign ' that God has moved to giving the Holy Spirit to gentiles. Its a sign to Peter and the rest of this transition we see in the Acts of the apostles. The only reason we have this overlooked in the scriptures is because of what goes on 'out there 'in Christendom, where we start to see a departure from scriptural evidence to ' experiential ' ' evidence. Then the bible is interpreted in light of this
It literally says its a sign . Jews require a sign .

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Some say that "speaking in tongues" did exist at one time (because it's written in the bible) but is not for today. ( ... ) But OK, let's give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Let's NOT argue whether or not speaking in tongues is for today. We can limit the discussion to the benefits of speaking in tongues DURING the times that the bible DOES allow speaking in tongues, since this is a Bible Discussion Forum and speaking in tongues was given by God to at least some according to the word of God, in the bible.

In other words, since the bible says that speaking in tongues was a gift of the Holy Ghost in the bible)...WHY was it given? WHAT does the bible say it accomplishes (while it is in operation)?

And to be clear about this...whether or not tongues ceased (or will cease) HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ITS PURPOSE DURING THE TIME OF ITS EXISTENCE. So please pay attention to when people are trying to get off topic. We're only looking at what "speaking in tongues" does accomplish, while it is functioning, as described in the BIBLE. What are the benefits? And let's be patient and thorough about it. :)

Love in Jesus,
Kelby
A thread was done on this subject very recently, you can find it Here

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
just came out of seeking the Lord for about 6 days now and a few days ago I posted a thread about Dan 3. there are three things I sought the Lord for during prayer and fasting. 1. repentance/ revival the church needs both 2. Unity in the Body of Christ 3. God to remove unjust leadership in the State of CA and our nation.
Remove unjust leadership in California?

Who's gonna be left? :giggle:

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I have a problem with those who say the gifts aren't for today because they ended or we no longer need them.

1. They can't prove it with scripture, because it's not there. Nowhere.
2. They will twist 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 like a pretzel to get it to say so.
3. They will use 3-4th century writers to prove it ended, when they usually are condemning such people for being part of the Roman Catholic church for not knowing what they're talking about.

It's always a double standard.