the Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
Not at all. You completely missed my point.
You posted - Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

What does that have to do with the Tru Sabbath observance -v- Sunday, or the Ten Command
"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his Commandments, is a liar and the truth is not in him" (1 John 2:4)
" And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." (Matt 15:9)

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
You posted - Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,

What does that have to do with the Tru Sabbath observance -v- Sunday, or the Ten Command
"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his Commandments, is a liar and the truth is not in him" (1 John 2:4)
" And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." (Matt 15:9)

***** IM NOT CATHOLIC, they rewrote the Ten Commandments, They got rid of the 2nd commandment "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image." then the split the 10th into two changing it to the 9th and 10th.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
your link says pope. (The Pope) Which is partially correct.
Once again, it started with the protestant reformation when the Gentile believers wanted to separate themselves from the Jews because they were being persecuted by the Romans, so the changed there day of worship from the Sabbath to Sunday. (Notice that they where observing the true Sabbath and they changed it, not God.)
Next was the King / Emperor Constine who worshiped the Sun. (Is where we get the term Sunday) Constine made the first law for mandatory Sunday worship, and actually forbid most Sabbath keeping.
Then came the Roman Catholic church who has formed Sunday worship into what it is today. They even say that the Sabbath hasn't been changed by scripture and that there is no bases for Sunday observance except by the authority of the Church.

Go look up the Sabbath at BibleTools.org
Here is another article that you may find helpful.

Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Mark of the Beast (nonsda.org)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

That's a signature which is at the bottom of all of my posts. Why are you so obsessed with Sabbath observance? Be sure to read the "Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Mark of the Beast" article that I sent you.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
***** IM NOT CATHOLIC, they rewrote the Ten Commandments, They got rid of the 2nd commandment "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image." then the split the 10th into two changing it to the 9th and 10th.
Although prior to my conversion, I grew up in the Roman Catholic church, I don't subscribe to their doctrine or to SDA doctrine.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
[Gen 2:1-2 KJV] 1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. The Sabbath was the seventh day of creation week, that was the day God rested in a completed creation. It was then left as a memorial for man (that’s why the commandment says “remember”) there weren’t any Israelites. The Sabbath is a gift from a loving creator, not a burden. It spans all time and will be observed after sin has been destroyed and the earth cleansed.
Now although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of the sabbath being kept before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses. The word "Sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23 - Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning. The entire chapter is directed to the Israelite community.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The Ten Commandments have been with God from Creation and will be with us on the New Earth "... and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship me, saith the Lord." (Isaiah 66:23) .
In regard to Isaiah 66:22-23, this simply teaches that from month to month and from week to week, God’s people will worship Him. In the new heaven and the new earth, we read there will have no need of the sun or moon, there will be no night there, but one perpetual day and the glory of God will illuminate it. (Revelation 21:23-25).

How then could there be a cycle of seven days that would allow for literally keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law? The Isaiah passage simply means that God’s people will perpetually worship Him in contrast to keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law.

Furthermore, if one insists on weekly sabbath observances based on Isaiah 66:23, then one also needs to observe new moons as well. Yet from what I hear, Sabbatarians don’t observe new moons, which is inconsistent. New moons require night, hence Sabbatarians have night in heaven, yet there is no day and night cycles in heaven. You cannot have "new moon to new moon" or "sabbath days" without day and night, so your argument is moot.

Will there be Levitical priests in the new heaven? If Isaiah 66:23 teaches that we will keep the weekly sabbath day under the law in the new heaven, then it also teaches in Isaiah 66:21 that the Levitical priests will be in the new heaven, because it's also mentioned. What happened to the Levitical priesthood under the new covenant terms? Priesthood changed so did the law. Hebrews 7:12 - For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. The old and new covenants do not mix.

rstrats

Aug 28, 2011
[QUOTE="dlj57, ...you are misinterpreting (Col 2:16-17) He is talking to the Jews and believers telling them not to let unbelievers judge them for keeping the Commandments, his Laws. [/QUOTE]

Or maybe Paul was not referring to their keeping of the commandments, but rather to how they were keeping them. Also, verse 17 could be saying that they should only let the Church, i.e., the Body of Christ judge them with regard to that.

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
In regard to Isaiah 66:22-23, this simply teaches that from month to month and from week to week, God’s people will worship Him. In the new heaven and the new earth, we read there will have no need of the sun or moon, there will be no night there, but one perpetual day and the glory of God will illuminate it. (Revelation 21:23-25).

How then could there be a cycle of seven days that would allow for literally keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law? The Isaiah passage simply means that God’s people will perpetually worship Him in contrast to keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law.

Furthermore, if one insists on weekly sabbath observances based on Isaiah 66:23, then one also needs to observe new moons as well. Yet from what I hear, Sabbatarians don’t observe new moons, which is inconsistent. New moons require night, hence Sabbatarians have night in heaven, yet there is no day and night cycles in heaven. You cannot have "new moon to new moon" or "sabbath days" without day and night, so your argument is moot.

Will there be Levitical priests in the new heaven? If Isaiah 66:23 teaches that we will keep the weekly sabbath day under the law in the new heaven, then it also teaches in Isaiah 66:21 that the Levitical priests will be in the new heaven, because it's also mentioned. What happened to the Levitical priesthood under the new covenant terms? Priesthood changed so did the law. Hebrews 7:12 - For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. The old and new covenants do not mix.
That is so wrong in so many ways. The Sabbath he is referring to is the one He blessed, sanctified and hallowed, the one he told us to remember and keep holy.
Your statement on Sabbatarians is obdured, you presume way too much. and again, he is telling us that the sabbath will be observed.
your last statement, I have no idea what you're saying, that has to be the most far-reaching thing I have ever heard. The Ten Commandments are not part of the old mosaic Law and the new covenant did not abolish Gods Law just the Law of Moses.
Once again, it started with the protestant reformation when the Gentile believers wanted to separate themselves from the Jews because they were being persecuted by the Romans, so the changed there day of worship from the Sabbath to Sunday. (Notice that they where observing the true Sabbath and they changed it, not God.)
Next was the King / Emperor Constine who worshiped the Sun. (Is where we get the term Sunday) Constine made the first law for mandatory Sunday worship, and actually forbid most Sabbath keeping.
Then came the Roman Catholic church who has formed Sunday worship into what it is today. They even say that the Sabbath hasn't been changed by scripture and that there is no bases for Sunday observance except by the authority of the Church.

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
[QUOTE="dlj57, ...you are misinterpreting (Col 2:16-17) He is talking to the Jews and believers telling them not to let unbelievers judge them for keeping the Commandments, his Laws.
Or maybe Paul was not referring to their keeping of the commandments, but rather to how they were keeping them. Also, verse 17 could be saying that they should only let the Church, i.e., the Body of Christ judge them with regard to that.[/QUOTE]

he clearly states not to let anyone judge them in their observance.
Don't add to the scriptures or read more into it that what is stated.
Maybe this, Maybe that, Maybe, Maybe, Maybe. Far-reaching.

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
[QUOTE="dlj57, ...you are misinterpreting (Col 2:16-17) He is talking to the Jews and believers telling them not to let unbelievers judge them for keeping the Commandments, his Laws.
Or maybe Paul was not referring to their keeping of the commandments, but rather to how they were keeping them. Also, verse 17 could be saying that they should only let the Church, i.e., the Body of Christ judge them with regard to that.[/QUOTE]

In any case he said not to let anyone judge them.

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
Now although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of the sabbath being kept before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses. The word "Sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23 - Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: ‘Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning. The entire chapter is directed to the Israelite community.
The 7th day is the only day He set apart from the res and blessed, sanctified and hallowed. How can anyone take that away from scripture?
You stated, nowhere in scripture is there any hint that sabbath keeping was practiced from Adom to Moses
"Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and MY laws." (Genesis 26:5) God established the 4th Commandment on the 7th day of creation. "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy..." (Exodus 20:2-17 & Deut 5:6-21) and there are more.

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
The 7th day is the only day He set apart from the res and blessed, sanctified and hallowed. How can anyone take that away from scripture?
You stated, nowhere in scripture is there any hint that sabbath keeping was practiced from Adom to Moses
"Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and MY laws." (Genesis 26:5) God established the 4th Commandment on the 7th day of creation. "Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy..." (Exodus 20:2-17 & Deut 5:6-21) and there are more.
Can't be much clearer than that.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
That is so wrong in so many ways. The Sabbath he is referring to is the one He blessed, sanctified and hallowed, the one he told us to remember and keep holy.
Who is US? Exodus 20:2 - I am the Lord your God, who brought YOU out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. The Israelites.

Moses gives the reason the sabbath was given to the nation of Israel: “Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought YOU out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore, the Lord your God has commanded YOU to observe the Sabbath day.” (Deuteronomy 5:15)

Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: “The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.” (Exodus 31:16-17)

Your statement on Sabbatarians is obdured, you presume way too much. and again, he is telling us that the sabbath will be observed. your last statement, I have no idea what you're saying, that has to be the most far-reaching thing I have ever heard. The Ten Commandments are not part of the old mosaic Law and the new covenant did not abolish Gods Law just the Law of Moses.
The law of Moses does include the Ten Commandments since the Ten Commandments are major set of laws within the Law of Moses.

Nehemiah 9:14 - So, You made known to them Your holy sabbath, and laid down for them commandments, statutes and law,
Through Your servant Moses.

1 Kings 2:3 - Keep the charge of the Lord your God, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His ordinances, and His testimonies, according to what is written in the Law of Moses, that you may succeed in all that you do and wherever you turn.

Matthew 12:5 - Or have you not read in the Law, that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and are innocent?

Matthew 22:36 - “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” 37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

In James 2:15-16, the example of a "work" that James gives is: "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?" To give a brother or sister these things needed for the body would certainly be a "good work" yet to neglect such a brother or sister and not give them the things needed for the body is to break the second great commandment "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39) as found written in the law of Moses. (Leviticus 19:18)

James 2:11 - For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

I have news for you. 2 Corinthians 3:6 - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

I am not buying into your SDA propaganda.

Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Mark of the Beast (nonsda.org)
Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Dangers of Seventh-day Adventism (nonsda.org)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
So what charge and which commandments, statutes and laws were God talking about in Genesis 26:5? It doesn't say the 10 commandments which were given through Moses.

If every man from Adam to Moses kept the Sabbath, why is the Hebrew word for the weekly Sabbath found in the Ten Commandments not found in the book of Genesis? Why is no one before Moses ever commanded to keep the Sabbath? Why are there no examples of anyone keeping the Sabbath before Moses? Why were the Patriarchs never instructed about the Sabbath but were instructed regarding: Offerings: Genesis 4:3-4, Altars Genesis 8:20, Priests: Genesis 14:18, Tithes: Genesis 14:20, Circumcision: Genesis 17:10, Marriage: Genesis 2:24 and Genesis 34:9. Why would God leave out the Sabbath command in Genesis if it was for everyone to keep before Moses?

The sabbath was not given to all the nations. It was given to the nation of Israel. Look at Deuteronomy 5:1-15, which gives the commandments to Israel. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive. Did you see that?

Nehemiah 9:13 - "Then You came down on Mount Sinai and spoke with them from heaven; You gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments. 14 So You made known to them Your holy sabbath, and laid down for them commandments, statutes and law, Through Your servant Moses."

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Deuteronomy 5:2 - The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive.

Nehemiah 9:13 - "Then You came down on Mount Sinai and spoke with them from heaven; You gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments. 14 So You made known to them Your holy sabbath, and laid down for them commandments, statutes and law, Through Your servant Moses."

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
That's a signature which is at the bottom of all of my posts. Why are you so obsessed with Sabbath observance? Be sure to read the "Bible Truth Versus Adventist Truth - Mark of the Beast" article that I sent you.
I'm not and Adventist, I'm just a Christian that believes in scripture, and believes that man has been greatly deceived.
"...and think to change times and laws..." (Daniel 7:25) Like changing the Sabbath.
Did you go to BibleTools.org and look up the Sabbath. It is a Christian site.

dlj57

Jan 11, 2024
How do you figure that?
The old Mosaic law required a lot of observances and rituals and practices that no longer had to be observed once Crist died on the Cross because He was our sacrificial lamb. The 10 Commandments are mentioned and observed all throughout the NT. If they are part of the old Mosaic law, why are they referred to and we are told to obey in the NT? If they were done away with God would not have told us to obey the Law throughout the NT. Jesus himself said he did not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it.

Look up the Sabbath at BibleTools.org

blessings, Danny