The Son of Man came eating and drinking

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Some people should stop wining. Some people should stop whining.

There may be some overlap. ;)

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
(Matt 11:19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him, a glutton and a drunk, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' But wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.")

This puts the teetotalers in a somewhat bad kind of light.

Luke 22:16/Luke 24:42,,,,Luke 22:18/John 19:28-30...

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Oh, foolish Galatians, comes to mind when I hear the issue of wine debated.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Genesis 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
(NOTE: I'm guessing Melchizedek ate the bread & drank the wine)

Luke 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
(NOTE: Jesus is speaking here: "The Son of man is come eating and drinking". This statement strongly suggest he drank some wine.)

If wine is to be viewed as evil, as presented is a couple post within this thread. Why would God turn water into wine, for human consumption?

Jesus is recorded to have partook in at least 3 Passovers (many more I'm sure) . During the week long feast, 4 cups of wine (not the same day at the same time) are consumed.

Num 6:2 I can find no place in scripture where Jesus took the Nazarite (not Nazarene ) vow. MOO!

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
(Matt 11:19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him, a glutton and a drunk, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' But wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.")

This puts the teetotalers in a somewhat bad kind of light.

My answer to this is pain. If you are part of a family where alcohol turned a parent into a violent,
angry, abusive individual who knew few limits and terrorised those they knew, alcohol become like poison.

To an alcoholic any alcohol is a temptation, sometimes too strong to resist, which can kill them.

These problems used to be endemic in society, when life was short, brutal and very painful. By the age
of 20 you would have see 4 brothers/sisters die, and maybe your mum and dad. Starvation and disaster
were common. To escape this, soaking yourself after an 12 hour day, worked, but you got violent and behaved
terribly.

Today we live in the west in a kind of heaven, and alcohol takes on a different role.
I personally drink a little, maybe one bottle of wine/cider a month. I do know unfortunately people who
alcohol has killed them. So I respect its role and would give it up totally if this would help anyone.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
My answer to this is pain. If you are part of a family where alcohol turned a parent into a violent,
angry, abusive individual who knew few limits and terrorised those they knew, alcohol become like poison.

To an alcoholic any alcohol is a temptation, sometimes too strong to resist, which can kill them.

These problems used to be endemic in society, when life was short, brutal and very painful. By the age
of 20 you would have see 4 brothers/sisters die, and maybe your mum and dad. Starvation and disaster
were common. To escape this, soaking yourself after an 12 hour day, worked, but you got violent and behaved
terribly.

Today we live in the west in a kind of heaven, and alcohol takes on a different role.
I personally drink a little, maybe one bottle of wine/cider a month. I do know unfortunately people who
alcohol has killed them. So I respect its role and would give it up totally if this would help anyone.
Alcohol is a psychoactive active drug which triggers a craving in about 10% of the population. In fact, intoxicated literally means ingested poison. The more it is abused the lower the resistance to it becomes. Some people can have some beer after work every day and never cross the line. To others it's like meth in the way it changes personalities, morality and judgement. It was justifiably outlawed but prohibition in the US from 1919-1933, was a disaster. Americas obsession for it gave organized crime a strong base to build upon. Main stream society wanted the stuff so bad it looked the other way.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Prohibition changed direction when it switched from mainly alcohol to other drugs. Those of us with mental, emotional and other psychological problems that feel a need to use chemicals to alter the ways we feel and feel need treatment, not jails. The antisocials that take advantage of us belong in jail. They're like pimps in an Islamic country. If we spent the money on treatment that we waste on prohibition including imprisonment, we would do more good.

The bastards that profit off of our problems wouldn't have anything to sell or make much money, they'll find something else.

I know the so called conservatives would rather "Lock them up." But do you know how much that costs?>

Commuting Sentences for Nonviolent Offenders Saves Money

It’s no secret that incarcerating an individual costs the country a lot of money. According to the Vero Institute of Justice, that figure is roughly $31 thousand per state prisoner. From the data of all 40 states surveyed by the Vero Institute, it costs $40 billion per year to house prisoners in those 40 states. CBS News estimates that when including the other states as well as the costs of federal prison, the entire industry costs us $63.4 billion per year.

Meanwhile, prisoners seldom contribute to the economy. They are a dead weight to society. People in recovery go back to work and the economy can prosper.

Alcohol was MY gateway drug, not pot! The focus on punishment over treatment seems unnecessarily judgmental and Pharasidical. Aren't Christians supposed to focus more on forgiveness and help, than punishment???

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
The figures quoted were only for Federal. they did not include City, County or State expenses.

H

Hevosmies358

I hate this

I hate alcohol.

I wont say anything about it, because its obviously biblical. Still hate it though. Revolting. Wish it was prohibited in Christianity completely. But I cant have it my way.

H

Hevosmies358

I agree with this post bro! I come from the mean streets and i've seen it all.

America is crazy when it comes to locking people up lol. Try being locked up for a decade and tell me if you come out the same, YOU WONT! Leaves permanent damage.

We all know why America is so happy to lock folks up, its BIG business, I heard that the prisons are actually private corporations theere, just profiting off of people. Most of the guys arent even a threat to society in any kind of way.

Also let me tell you: These people who are just weak junkies, guess what, when they show up to prison, its not gonna be good to them. They will get punked out. Odds are their ramen noodels will be took. If yall know what I mean.-

L

Locoponydirtman

America is crazy when it comes to locking people up lol. Try being locked up for a decade and tell me if you come out the same, YOU WONT! Leaves permanent damage.

We all know why America is so happy to lock folks up, its BIG business, I heard that the prisons are actually private corporations theere, just profiting off of people. Most of the guys arent even a threat to society in any kind of way.

Also let me tell you: These people who are just weak junkies, guess what, when they show up to prison, its not gonna be good to them. They will get punked out. Odds are their ramen noodels will be took. If yall know what I mean.-
I am totally against long term lock up. I don't see it as redemptive for any one not even victims. I would prefer a system of restitution, rehabilitation, and restoration where possible. Where it is not then exile and if necessary then the death penalty.
Prison is just torture, and torment. It accomplishes nothing. Send a young man in to be immersed in dysfunction and criminality and release him as a tormented twisted soul back to society and we wonder why recidivism is so high.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.

True dat!