The what? Skins?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Post Script to my last post (#31).

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that God knew very well that there would be multiple versions of the Bible the minute He created all the languages of the world at the Tower of Babel.

No one Bible interpretation could be perfectly applied or translated every language.
He never promised this, only that His pure words would be preserved.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I am just wondering, how do you personally teach the Bible to people who don't speak your language?

What is your personal approach?

I agree that God did not promise a Bible in every language, but I am wondering what your alternative would be.

(I mean this earnestly, as I said, I have some family members for whom language is a barrier, so I am open to advice.)

How can you take the gospel into the world if you have no way of communicating with the people you are trying to witness to?
The only time I have spoken to an assembly of non English speakers is in El Salvador, several times. I had a translator. They use the Rheina Valera. I love the people of El Salvador. They are so open to hear the gospel.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Which Bible passage says that?
You know very well. I don’t want to argue the point on this thread. Start a thread entitled “We don’t have God’s word today” and I’ll chime in.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
If the KJV was the only true translation, what happens to everyone else in the world who does not speak English?
That same argument could be used if we had the originals. What does the rest of the world do who do not speak Hebrew and Greek?

Good thing the Lord foresaw that the English language would be the closest thing to a world wide language, so He used the English language to preserve His words.

Mar 28, 2016
It would appear the color as the focal point . Blue is not used in Revelation . What ever animal they were unclean animals to represent unbelief. Blue covered the gold to show the temporal. It would be like the Son of man, Jesus that lived in a corruptible body but inwardly gold to represents the unseen faith. The gold as to the hidden glory redeems the blue.

We have the power of gold that works in our earthen bodies of death but it is not of us.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
That same argument could be used if we had the originals. What does the rest of the world do who do not speak Hebrew and Greek?

Good thing the Lord foresaw that the English language would be the closest thing to a world wide language, so He used the English language to preserve His words.
I disagree with the assumption that the KJV is the one and only true translation, but I do thank you for taking the time to voice your opinions regarding these questions.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
This is the contribution which you are to raise from them: gold, silver and bronze, blue, purple and scarlet material, fine linen, goat hair, rams’ skins dyed red, porpoise skins, acacia wood,
Exodus 25:3‭-‬5 NASB

Porpoise skins?

por'-pus (the Revised Version margin has "porpoise-skin" for `or tachash, the Revised Version (British and American) "sealskin," the King James Version "badgers' skins" (Exodus 25:5; 26:14; 35:7,23; 36:19; 39:34; Numbers 4:6,8,10,11,12,14,25; Ezekiel 16:10)):
(for shoes in Ezekiel 16:10).

The word here seems to be tachash, which is some kind of a mystery animal. I read an article that said it was quite possibly a one horned beast large enough that the covering was from only one animal. So there are many speculations as to what this could be from the King James badger too the Babylonian Torah's unicorn.
There is this. Perhaps it was goat skins that was being referred to. I agree that Porpoise skins does seem unusual for the region.

Contributions for the Sanctuary
25 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the people of Israel, that they take for me a contribution. From every man whose heart moves him you shall receive the contribution for me. 3 And this is the contribution that you shall receive from them: gold, silver, and bronze, 4 blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, goats' hair, 5 tanned rams' skins, goatskins,[a] acacia wood, 6 oil for the lamps, spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense, 7 onyx stones, and stones for setting, for the ephod and for the breastpiece. 8 And let them make me a sanctuary, that I may dwell in their midst. 9 Exactly as I show you concerning the pattern of the tabernacle, and of all its furniture, so you shall make it.

Footnote
Uncertain; possibly dolphin skins, or dugong skins; compare 26:14

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
If the KJV was the only true translation, what happens to everyone else in the world who does not speak English?
Those who wholeheartedly support the KJV are fully aware that there are may other languages besides English. The underlying issue is the corrupt Hebrew and Greek *critical texts* which have corrupted modern bible versions.

Therefore the Trinitarian Bible Society (as one example) publishes bibles in many other languages WHICH ARE THE EQUIVALENT of the KJV, since the underlying texts are the traditional Hebrew Masoretic and Greek Received text (know as the Textus Receptus).

"The Trinitarian Bible Society was founded in 1831 with the principal aim of promoting the Glory of God and the Increase of His Kingdom through the circulation of Protestant or uncorrupted versions of the Word of God."

https://www.tbsbibles.org

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Those who wholeheartedly support the KJV are fully aware that there are may other languages besides English. The underlying issue is the corrupt Hebrew and Greek *critical texts* which have corrupted modern bible versions.

Therefore the Trinitarian Bible Society (as one example) publishes bibles in many other languages WHICH ARE THE EQUIVALENT of the KJV, since the underlying texts are the traditional Hebrew Masoretic and Greek Received text (know as the Textus Receptus).

"The Trinitarian Bible Society was founded in 1831 with the principal aim of promoting the Glory of God and the Increase of His Kingdom through the circulation of Protestant or uncorrupted versions of the Word of God."

https://www.tbsbibles.org
Thank you for providing this background information.

Although I have my own beliefs that might be different from others, I always appreciate the opportunity to learn what others believe, and how or why they came to that conclusion.

I also want to thank both you and @John146 for calmly and rationally answering the questions that were brought up, rather than just criticizing or attacking me for having a different point of view.

God bless.

L

Locoponydirtman

Well, I disagree that the KJV is uncorrupted. James was corrupt, and his intentions were corrupt, and his method of forcing the Bishop's Bible out was corrupt. So I can hardly see how anything he did was uncorrupted.
So while I believe that the majority of the translator of his version have a good conscience, and did their honest best, the overseers were not and their intentions shine through in the translation errors. One example that stands out is rather than translate they transliterated the word baptize. If they had translated this word then there would be no discussion as to the method of baptism nor the purpose.
However in keeping with the topic of this thread, they translated the word in question as badger from German when they had the Latin Vulgate and could have used the translation from Hebrew to Latin as it was understood and gotten violet as in skins died violet in color. I believe the actual word is hyacinth. Even though this is adiaphora they could have chosen to be at least reasonably accurate rather than outlandish.

If there were a God ordained English translation it most certainly would not be the King James. And I can point out many many reasons from the character of James to the nature an character Christ. But it will not matter to the KJV cultists so why bother?
Oh! to keep them from poisoning the minds of new Christians with their nonsense.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Well, I disagree that the KJV is uncorrupted. James was corrupt, and his intentions were corrupt, and his method of forcing the Bishop's Bible out was corrupt. So I can hardly see how anything he did was uncorrupted.
So while I believe that the majority of the translator of his version have a good conscience, and did their honest best, the overseers were not and their intentions shine through in the translation errors. One example that stands out is rather than translate they transliterated the word baptize. If they had translated this word then there would be no discussion as to the method of baptism nor the purpose.
However in keeping with the topic of this thread, they translated the word in question as badger from German when they had the Latin Vulgate and could have used the translation from Hebrew to Latin as it was understood and gotten violet as in skins died violet in color. I believe the actual word is hyacinth. Even though this is adiaphora they could have chosen to be at least reasonably accurate rather than outlandish.

If there were a God ordained English translation it most certainly would not be the King James. And I can point out many many reasons from the character of James to the nature an character Christ. But it will not matter to the KJV cultists so why bother?
Oh! to keep them from poisoning the minds of new Christians with their nonsense.
Wow! God used a corrupt version of His word to lead the world’s largest revival this world has ever seen. The greatest preachers in history used the KJV.

Never look at the ones God uses for His word. All of the “original” writers were corrupt, murderers, adulterers, etc...

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
These questions are really interesting.

Like the other one where they use the word Unicorn. I think I figured that one was probably some sort of rhino.

Maybe same sort of animal here...

L

Locoponydirtman

Wow! God used a corrupt version of His word to lead the world’s largest revival this world has ever seen. The greatest preachers in history used the KJV.

Never look at the ones God uses for His word. All of the “original” writers were corrupt, murderers, adulterers, etc...
So in saying all you accuse Isaiah, Daniel, Samuel, Joshua, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Peter, James, and John, among others.
And do you hold the sins of the repented against them?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
So in saying all you accuse Isaiah, Daniel, Samuel, Joshua, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, Peter, James, and John, among others.
And do you hold the sins of the repented against them?
Yes, they were all fallen men. That’s my point. It’s not the penman who matters, but God.

This hatred towards the KJV leads me to believe it’s validity. No book has ever been so beloved, and yet so hated.

I think people dislike others who actually believe they have God’s word. Why should that offend anyone?

L

Locoponydirtman

Yes, they were all fallen men. That’s my point. It’s not the penman who matters, but God.

This hatred towards the KJV leads me to believe it’s validity. No book has ever been so beloved, and yet so hated.

I think people dislike others who actually believe they have God’s word. Why should that offend anyone?
As for your assertion for leading the largest revival in history, the Reformation began way before the KJV
Was foisted upon Christianity.
Most of those who don't much care for the KJV, is because how the mistranslations have mislead so many.
It's no mystery that those who love the truth would dislike something that obscures it.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Most of those who don't much care for the KJV, is because how the mistranslations have mislead so many.
Misleading? In what way? The KJV fruit outweighs all other versions combined times over.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

The KJV was also the Bible at the root of the pseudo-Christian cults. Your argument is moot.

You have not responded to my question about God's preservation of His words. Please do so; it's worth discussing.