The worst problem there is in modern life.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2021
Of all the things I've seen other people having problems with, at least inasmuch as I've ever had a similar problem, so I'd understand it, the biggest societal issue I run across, that really causes the most serious problems, is the fact that in order to get a serious message across in many if not most face-to-face interpersonal dialogues, it's required, given mainstream common culture and the range of probable causes for the need for there to be a dialogue in the first place, for both of the participants to be fully able to sit down and talk, in all seriousness, and things that aren't serious at all.

If you can't understand that, then you've never been around the kind of people who chronically cause problems with their lack of ability to be sober and normal.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I understood it, but it sure did take a lot of reading just to find out what you think the worst problem is.

There is elegance in succinctness.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I understood it, but it sure did take a lot of reading just to find out what you think the worst problem is.

There is elegance in succinctness.
Yes, as in concise. I can't understand what the OP is about.

Oct 29, 2021
There are people putting incorrect labels of level of importance on everything. What really triggered the thread was a number of books I remember reading (a long time ago, but I'm sure people still make them). I don't remember who wrote it, but a book came out in my local library a decade or so ago called "The Gospel According to Tony Soprano". Not sober. I've seen other, similar books, including the Gospel According to Peanuts and worst and most disturbingly to me "The Dharma of Star Wars". I'm listing the Star Wars commentary as the worst because Dahma is Buddhist and I really have a low opinion of that religion.

That was what I meant. The biggest religious problem of modern time is that too many vacuous public speakers use very shallow, rude popular cultural artifacts as jumping off points to try to teach religion and profound faith. It just doesn't work, is inappropriate and gets in the way of genuine scholarship.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The Zen of Pooh was good though.

But I will admit The Tao of Piglet sucked. I think they just put that out to make a little more money.

Oct 29, 2021
The Zen of Pooh was good though.

But I will admit The Tao of Piglet sucked. I think they just put that out to make a little more money.
No, it wasn't. You aren't English and you don't know why that is. Of course, if you knew any history you would remember that Zen comes from Japan, which was your enemy in a long-ago war which you have forgotten. But you don't. All your sort thinks about is grubbing money and you trade with just any tinpot nation that comes down the pike. In fact, you are just any tinpot nation that comes down the pike.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
No, it wasn't. You aren't English and you don't know why that is. Of course, if you knew any history you would remember that Zen comes from Japan, which was your enemy in a long-ago war which you have forgotten. But you don't. All your sort thinks about is grubbing money and you trade with just any tinpot nation that comes down the pike. In fact, you are just any tinpot nation that comes down the pike.
I can assure you, Lynx is a person who is about as least interested in money as it gets, aside from keeping his family safe and sheltered. And what resources he does get, he uses to help other people.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what happened in your life that has made you automatically look down upon and assume everyone else around you to be intellectual paupers?

You would completely scoff at my family, as my grandparents were uneducated farmers, and my dad worked as a bagger in a local grocery store instead of going to college (rather, he wound up working his way up and becoming a head partner of the company chain instead.)

My parents saved every dime they earned, were able to retire early, and fulfill their dream of going into financial ministry (helping people get out of debt and find financial freedom.) They also made it available to as many people as they could, driving out to see those who couldn't afford the gas money, and supplying all the materials to anyone interested in their classes at their own expense, because they were dismayed at the thought of people not being able to get help due the fees others were charging.

My grandparents saved everything they made as well in order to travel the world, during which their lessons were things like African safaris in tents, and the running of the bulls in Spain. As a kid, I loved the stories of their travels and it was always an inspiration to me to meet people from others places and cultures.

I understand that God teaches us to seek wisdom, but He has also said that in addition, He places wisdom in uncommon things and in unlikely people.

What is it that's happened to you to that you have made what you perceive as your own intellectual standard your God, and the ruler by which you feel entitled to measure everyone else? What do you think of some of Jesus' own disciples being simple fisherman, who were despised by the intellectual and spiritual experts of that time?

I couldn't help but notice that the entire first paragraph of your original post is just one long run-on sentence, and I would have thought that someone professing such intellectual superiority would have caught and revised it.

I am neither a writer and I am certainly not someone of high intellect (by your given standards,) but even I could recognize that your introduction was written in a style that makes it extremely hard to read.

However, you simply write it off as being that your audience is too stupid and far behind to be able to understand you.

Why?

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Oh we know why we aren't English. We fought the king and won because we decided to be free instead of slaves to the crown (and Parliament since that was after the whole Magna carta, and english civil war, and all that other stuff that helped limit the powers of the monarchy). And when the English tried to contest our independence we had another war and (won might be a little extreme they did burn Washington) maintained our independence.

So yeah I think we've got a long history of not listening to whiny overprivileged english types when they lecture us about how we should be or behave.

BTW the worst problem there is in modern life is people pushing woke identity politics and trying to divide people into groups and then make a judgement on them based on their group identity and the sins or suffering of their ancestors. Which is about the most regressive idea that is only going to keep people stuck in the wrongs of the past instead of building a better tomorrow.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yay, I'm a nation! I always thought I was just one person.

I mean yeah, I'm just a tinpot nation... But I'll take it! :D

G

Godsgirl83

You would completely scoff at my family, as my grandparents were uneducated farmers, and my dad worked as a bagger in a local grocery store instead of going to college (rather, he wound up working his way up and becoming a head partner of the company chain instead.)

My parents saved every dime they earned, were able to retire early, and fulfill their dream of going into financial ministry (helping people get out of debt and find financial freedom.) They also made it available to as many people as they could, driving out to see those who couldn't afford the gas money, and supplying all the materials to anyone interested in their classes at their own expense, because they were dismayed at the thought of people not being able to get help due the fees others were charging.

My grandparents saved everything they made as well in order to travel the world, during which their lessons were things like African safaris in tents, and the running of the bulls in Spain. As a kid, I loved the stories of their travels and it was always an inspiration to me to meet people from others places and cultures.

Seoul,
You always fascinate me with your personal stories.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Of all the things I've seen other people having problems with, at least inasmuch as I've ever had a similar problem, so I'd understand it, the biggest societal issue I run across, that really causes the most serious problems, is the fact that in order to get a serious message across in many if not most face-to-face interpersonal dialogues, it's required, given mainstream common culture and the range of probable causes for the need for there to be a dialogue in the first place, for both of the participants to be fully able to sit down and talk, in all seriousness, and things that aren't serious at all.

If you can't understand that, then you've never been around the kind of people who chronically cause problems with their lack of ability to be sober and normal.
Your verbosity is impressive (though it is apparently deliberately so, as you use seventeen words to do the work of three, thus artificially inflating your statements.) However it becomes tedious and wearisome to read what you write, as there are not many thoughts in your inflated statements.

To wit: You seem to have a diarrhea of words with a constipation of ideas.

Oct 29, 2021
You "I'm not into money, I'm Max Weber and God helps me because I help myself."
Me: I speak Irish Republican Southern Gaelic, and I BET YOU DON'T. I never had #### to save, and I'm SICK TO DEATH of living in a West Coast East Indian Village with a bunch of cunnylingiusts who are so arrogant, stupid, shallow, rude and vulgar that they honestly believe that I don't know what they're doing, saying or running on about when I'm an actual full-time expert in James Joyce and have College credit in his life, times, work, history, language and politics.

I write run on sentences. Push it, Johhny Lingo. I'll teach you run on stratagem in swordplay.

Oct 29, 2021
Your verbosity is impressive (though it is apparently deliberately so, as you use seventeen words to do the work of three, thus artificially inflating your statements.) However it becomes tedious and wearisome to read what you write, as there are not many thoughts in your inflated statements.

To wit: You seem to have a diarrhea of words with a constipation of ideas.
Prove your tagline.

Oct 29, 2021
Oh we know why we aren't English. We fought the king and won because we decided to be free instead of slaves to the crown (and Parliament since that was after the whole Magna carta, and english civil war, and all that other stuff that helped limit the powers of the monarchy). And when the English tried to contest our independence we had another war and (won might be a little extreme they did burn Washington) maintained our independence.

So yeah I think we've got a long history of not listening to whiny overprivileged english types when they lecture us about how we should be or behave.

BTW the worst problem there is in modern life is people pushing woke identity politics and trying to divide people into groups and then make a judgement on them based on their group identity and the sins or suffering of their ancestors. Which is about the most regressive idea that is only going to keep people stuck in the wrongs of the past instead of building a better tomorrow.
You're a hijacker with no sense of history, you're corrupting the blood of the race, you're a coward.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Seoul,
You always fascinate me with your personal stories.
It's so funny because in real life, I'm about as boring as one can get. :D

Lots of love to you, GG! :love:

My Mom was watching some cardinals out the window one day and asked me about them, so I told her I was going to look up a few articles online. She jokingly gasped, "OH NO! NOT... LEARNING!!!" Lol!!! She always says, "How did I wind up with such intellectual children!?" (Well, SOME of her kids are intellectuals, but I'm not one of them!) :ROFL:

It's a running gag among my family. My parents and grandparents are not readers or writers, but what they are is workers, and all they ever did was work -- eventually right up towards the top of the chain, all because they were willing to do the things everyone else thought they were too good for.

And one of the biggest influences in my life is how they keep a sense of humor about it.

When my Dad got his first email address, it was something like "[email protected]," and when I asked him why on earth he chose that name, he said, "Because. I'm just the guy who sticks the prices on cans of corn," even though he one of the owners of the chain by that time.

I LOVED that, and even though I'm nowhere near as successful as my family, I hope I'll always remember their example.

Oct 29, 2021
I can assure you, Lynx is a person who is about as least interested in money as it gets, aside from keeping his family safe and sheltered. And what resources he does get, he uses to help other people.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what happened in your life that has made you automatically look down upon and assume everyone else around you to be intellectual paupers?

I understand that God teaches us to seek wisdom, but He has also said that in addition, He places wisdom in uncommon things and in unlikely people.

What is it that's happened to you to that you have made what you perceive as your own intellectual standard your God, and the ruler by which you feel entitled to measure everyone else? What do you think of some of Jesus' own disciples being simple fisherman, who were despised by the intellectual and spiritual experts of that time?

I couldn't help but notice that the entire first paragraph of your original post is just one long run-on sentence, and I would have thought that someone professing such intellectual superiority would have caught and revised it.

I am neither a writer and I am certainly not someone of high intellect (by your given standards,) but even I could recognize that your introduction was written in a style that makes it extremely hard to read.

However, you simply write it off as being that your audience is too stupid and far behind to be able to understand you.

Why?
And you didn't respond to may statement about your lack of understanding of the Asian and Subcontinental conflicts during World War Two.

You "ARRRRRFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm RIIIIIIICHHHHHHHHH! I work so hard, I'm from the United States and I can afford to give it away and waste it on any African or Vietnamese or Indian that runs down the pike! I don't have to be civil to my more intellectually and historically oriented countrymen and women who actually THINK or STUDY or anything like that. I can just floof and fart off into outer/inner space and waste my time on the internet admiring Orientalism."

Me: You're a Theosophist and you don't even know it. You can't fight, you're a weak coward, all you know how to do is insult people online and scream "block that person, I'm shaking so hard at having been told the truth that I spilled boiling hot coffee on my balls and scalded the hair off!".

The word is not mightier than the sword, you wannabe techie. I'm a REAL one, by the way.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
You're a hijacker with no sense of history, you're corrupting the blood of the race, you're a coward.
For being someone who believes she is intellectually superior to everyone else, you seem to have no love, compassion, or empathy for other human beings.

1 Corinthians 13:1 -- "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a ringing gong or a clanging cymbal. If If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have absolute faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
You "I'm not into money, I'm Max Weber and God helps me because I help myself."
Me: I speak Irish Republican Southern Gaelic, and I BET YOU DON'T. I never had #### to save, and I'm SICK TO DEATH of living in a West Coast East Indian Village with a bunch of cunnylingiusts who are so arrogant, stupid, shallow, rude and vulgar that they honestly believe that I don't know what they're doing, saying or running on about when I'm an actual full-time expert in James Joyce and have College credit in his life, times, work, history, language and politics.

I write run on sentences. Push it, Johhny Lingo. I'll teach you run on stratagem in swordplay.
Ah, east India. THAT explains your rather negative opinion of anybody in the USA.

Bless your heart.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Me: You're a Theosophist and you don't even know it. You can't fight, you're a weak coward, all you know how to do is insult people online and scream "block that person, I'm shaking so hard at having been told the truth that I spilled boiling hot coffee on my balls and scalded the hair off!".

The word is not mightier than the sword, you wannabe techie. I'm a REAL one, by the way.
Is it a compliment or an insult that you think I have testicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.