Things to Consider Before Attempting to Correct the King James Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
Ive heard this often. Its a horrible argument.

Think about what you're saying for a while

The Bible mentions many prophets in the churches. YET we have NONE of their writings? Cant "open our bibles" and read those. Why dont we got a ton of prophetic literature from Corinthians? Galatians?
So God only speaking through the Scriptures is actually, ironically, UNSCRIPTURAL. The canon is closed, sure, I dont know WHERE you got the idea that God telling you to move to Mongolia PERSONALLY, should be in the Scriptures? Thats just ridicilous and unbiblical.

Furthermore: The Bible does NOT tell you everything. Most of the NT is written to 1st century churches. None of the epistles can tell you:

Where to live, who to marry, if you should even marry, should I do this, should I do that, should I go in ministry, should i mop the floors at church, what does the Father want me to do with MY LIFE, how should I serve Him today?. <- ALL questions that you cant see from the Bible. You know why? Because these are DiFFERENT to every person living. Some people shouldnt marry, some people should. Some people should get into ministry, some not. etc. Answer varies person to person in these kinda questions. And if God is done talking, then how can you EVER know you are in the will of God in your life?

I hope you atleast believe God can influence you in some way when you walk in prayer, as the scriptures state.

All this to state: Dont let anyone flimflam you into believing you cant draw nigh to God, that you cant hear the voice of the Shepherd, FROM the Scriptures, and DIRECTLY to you when discussing things like I mentioned above, who to marry, etc, things not mentioned in the Bible.

And YES all messages must be tried and compared to the Bible.

Aivan oikein, Hevosmies!

Oct 25, 2018
Well, not according to Romans 8:16, Sackcloth. We shouldn't add to Scripture; the canon is closed [ähem!]. And Paul doesn't instruct Timothy, "All Scripture is breathed by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness and for the Holy Spirit to bring to our attention as he witnesses with our spirits that we are the children of God." A Calvinist theologian whose style I like elaborates on this.
What I meant is we are to test the spirits to see if it is from God(1 John 4:1). How we know if it is the Holy Spirit is because we know the scriptures.

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
What I meant is we are to test the spirits to see if it is from God(1 John 4:1). How we know if it is the Holy Spirit is because we know the scriptures.
I think you're jumping ahead of what I'm saying a bit, Sackcloth. The Holy Spirit speaks to us directly. This is what the Scripture tells us. This is the point you challenged - but it's in God's word itself.

Oct 25, 2018
I think you're jumping ahead of what I'm saying a bit, Sackcloth. The Holy Spirit speaks to us directly. This is what the Scripture tells us. This is the point you challenged - but it's in God's word itself.
And He speaks to us via the word of God my friend. Jesus said He would lead us into all truth. But the only way we know the truth is via the scriptures.

Oct 25, 2018
How can I recognize the guidance of the Holy Spirit?

Answer: Before Jesus ascended to heaven, He told His disciples that He would send one who would teach and guide all those who believe in Him (Acts 1:5; John 14:26; 16:7). Jesus’ promise was fulfilled less than two weeks later when the Holy Spirit came in power on the believers at Pentecost (Acts 2). Now, when a person believes in Christ, the Holy Spirit immediately becomes a permanent part of his life (Romans 8:14; 1 Corinthians 12:13).

The Holy Spirit has many functions. Not only does He distribute spiritual gifts according to His will (1 Corinthians 12:7–11), but He also comforts us (John 14:16, KJV), teaches us (John 14:26), and remains in us as a seal of promise upon our hearts until the day of Jesus’ return (Ephesians 1:13; 4:30). The Holy Spirit also takes on the role of Guide and Counselor, leading us in the way we should go and revealing God’s truth (Luke 12:12; 1 Corinthians 2:6–10).

But how do we recognize the Spirit’s guidance? How do we discern between our own thoughts and His leading? After all, the Holy Spirit does not speak with audible words. Rather, He guides us through our own consciences (Romans 9:1) and other quiet, subtle ways.

One of the most important ways to recognize the Holy Spirit’s guidance is to be familiar with God’s Word. The Bible is the ultimate source of wisdom about how we should live (2 Timothy 3:16), and believers are to search the Scriptures, meditate on them, and commit them to memory (Ephesians 6:17). The Word is the “sword of the Spirit” (Ephesians 6:17), and the Spirit will use it to speak to us (John 16:12–14) to reveal God’s will for our lives; He will also bring specific Scriptures to mind at times when we need them most (John 14:26).

Knowledge of God’s Word can help us to discern whether or not our desires come from the Holy Spirit. We must test our inclinations against Scripture—the Holy Spirit will never prod us to do anything contrary to God’s Word. If it conflicts with the Bible, then it is not from the Holy Spirit and should be ignored.

It is also necessary for us to be in continual prayer with the Father (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Not only does this keep our hearts and minds open to the Holy Spirit’s leading, but it also allows the Spirit to speak on our behalf: “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will” (Romans 8:26–27).

Another way to tell if we are following the Spirit’s leading is to look for signs of His fruit in our lives (Galatians 5:22). If we walk in the Spirit, we will continue to see these qualities grow and mature in us, and they will become evident to others as well.

It is important to note that we have the choice whether or not to accept the Holy Spirit’s guidance. When we know the will of God but do not follow it, we are resisting the Spirit’s work in our lives (Acts 7:51; 1 Thessalonians 5:19), and a desire to follow our own way grieves Him (Ephesians 4:30). The Spirit will never lead us into sin. Habitual sin will cause us to miss what the Holy Spirit wants to say to us through the Word. Being in tune with God’s will, turning from and confessing sin, and making a habit of prayer and the study of God’s Word will allow us to recognize—and follow—the Spirit’s leading.

https://www.gotquestions.org/guidance-Holy-Spirit.html

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
And He speaks to us via the word of God my friend. Jesus said He would lead us into all truth. But the only way we know the truth is via the scriptures.
Of course He does, Sackcloth. I agree. But your view that God's Spirit speaks to us 100% of the time through Scripture goes against the Scripture itself. Another Calvinist theologian (who I also like) wrote a doctoral thesis on this very matter.

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
How can I recognize the guidance of the Holy Spirit?

Answer: Before Jesus ascended to heaven, He told His disciples that He would send one who would teach and guide all those who believe in Him (Acts 1:5; John 14:26; 16:7). Jesus’ promise was fulfilled less than two weeks later when the Holy Spirit came in power on the believers at Pentecost (Acts 2). Now, when a person believes in Christ, the Holy Spirit immediately becomes a permanent part of his life (Romans 8:14; 1 Corinthians 12:13).

The Holy Spirit has many functions. Not only does He distribute spiritual gifts according to His will (1 Corinthians 12:7–11), but He also comforts us (John 14:16, KJV), teaches us (John 14:26), and remains in us as a seal of promise upon our hearts until the day of Jesus’ return (Ephesians 1:13; 4:30). The Holy Spirit also takes on the role of Guide and Counselor, leading us in the way we should go and revealing God’s truth (Luke 12:12; 1 Corinthians 2:6–10).

But how do we recognize the Spirit’s guidance? How do we discern between our own thoughts and His leading? After all, the Holy Spirit does not speak with audible words. Rather, He guides us through our own consciences (Romans 9:1) and other quiet, subtle ways.

One of the most important ways to recognize the Holy Spirit’s guidance is to be familiar with God’s Word. The Bible is the ultimate source of wisdom about how we should live (2 Timothy 3:16), and believers are to search the Scriptures, meditate on them, and commit them to memory (Ephesians 6:17). The Word is the “sword of the Spirit” (Ephesians 6:17), and the Spirit will use it to speak to us (John 16:12–14) to reveal God’s will for our lives; He will also bring specific Scriptures to mind at times when we need them most (John 14:26).

Knowledge of God’s Word can help us to discern whether or not our desires come from the Holy Spirit. We must test our inclinations against Scripture—the Holy Spirit will never prod us to do anything contrary to God’s Word. If it conflicts with the Bible, then it is not from the Holy Spirit and should be ignored.

It is also necessary for us to be in continual prayer with the Father (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Not only does this keep our hearts and minds open to the Holy Spirit’s leading, but it also allows the Spirit to speak on our behalf: “In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will” (Romans 8:26–27).

Another way to tell if we are following the Spirit’s leading is to look for signs of His fruit in our lives (Galatians 5:22). If we walk in the Spirit, we will continue to see these qualities grow and mature in us, and they will become evident to others as well.

It is important to note that we have the choice whether or not to accept the Holy Spirit’s guidance. When we know the will of God but do not follow it, we are resisting the Spirit’s work in our lives (Acts 7:51; 1 Thessalonians 5:19), and a desire to follow our own way grieves Him (Ephesians 4:30). The Spirit will never lead us into sin. Habitual sin will cause us to miss what the Holy Spirit wants to say to us through the Word. Being in tune with God’s will, turning from and confessing sin, and making a habit of prayer and the study of God’s Word will allow us to recognize—and follow—the Spirit’s leading.

https://www.gotquestions.org/guidance-Holy-Spirit.html
Right (can't help thinking we may have left the thread long ago). So we've moved to God's guidance now. Well, Agabus is mentioned in God's word as having given a message by the Holy Spirit to Paul, a message that wasn't in the Scriptures. The second Calvinist guy I mentioned expands on this at some length. Um, Sackcloth, you are a Calvinist, right?

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
We are everywhere, are you only living in Australia now or were you born there?
Minä vai?
Oh, I was born here and am an Australian. My wife is from your part of the world. We visit from time to time.

Dec 12, 2013
Minä vai?
Oh, I was born here and am an Australian. My wife is from your part of the world. We visit from time to time.
I am on my 21st trip down under........spent over 2 years here out of last three......

Mar 28, 2016
Of course He does, Sackcloth. I agree. But your view that God's Spirit speaks to us 100% of the time through Scripture goes against the Scripture itself. Another Calvinist theologian (who I also like) wrote a doctoral thesis on this very matter.

If He is no longer brining any new revelations and we have all the laws as to how we can know and obey Him . What's missing?

We compare scripture to scripture or all things written in the law and the prophets to the law and the prophets .

Sola scriptura is the one reforming authority as it is written in any generation.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
I am on my 21st trip down under........spent over 2 years here out of last three......
Where abouts do you go? I spent a few months there for work. I was in the Adelaide area and enjoyed the trips to the hills to the east visiting all of the wineries. I got some of the best wine and shipped a couple of cases home. Couldn't buy them outside of Australia. They kept their best wines for themselves. Took one trip to the outback to see the sand and visit an underground city. Could only do this on the weekends since I worked during the week. Installed equipment and taught classes on it. Went back a couple of times for repair and more instructions since they had a turn over of personnel. Loved the place. Learned what they meant about getting pissed.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Where oh where did John146 go.
Oh where oh where can he be.

Is he hiding from me. Couldn't he define those words without a dictionary??
Poor John146.
Such a sad case!!

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
John146 where did you disappear to?? Ran away did you?? Couldn't answer the questions so he ran away.

Dec 12, 2013
Well that's nice! Where do you generally spend your time?
Well....generally in Penrith and Sydney area....also Richmond....have a house in Castlereagh just out North of Penrith.....and in the U.S. have 50 acres in Mark Twain national forest!

kohelet

Feb 22, 2012
Well....generally in Penrith and Sydney area....also Richmond....have a house in Castlereagh just out North of Penrith.....and in the U.S. have 50 acres in Mark Twain national forest!
Very nice!

Oct 25, 2018
Right (can't help thinking we may have left the thread long ago). So we've moved to God's guidance now. Well, Agabus is mentioned in God's word as having given a message by the Holy Spirit to Paul, a message that wasn't in the Scriptures. The second Calvinist guy I mentioned expands on this at some length. Um, Sackcloth, you are a Calvinist, right?
Yes I am a Calvinist, though that has nothing to do with what we are discussing my friend. I am a Sola Scriptura guy, and I believe the scriptures are all we need to govern our lives by and that is the vehicle by which God's Spirit travels. He does not have to speak another word to us as He has said all He needed to when the canon of scripture was closed.

Here is what I mean. You say that the Spirit speaks outside of the word of God, the scriptures. Then that makes either Him, or the scriptures, an addendum. From Genesis 1:1--------->Revelation 22:21, we have all we need my friend.

You said He testifies with our spirit that we are the sons of God(Romans 8:16). However, we are also to test the spirits to see if they are of(from) God(1 John 4:1). Here is why I am repeating verses that both of us have already used earlier. How can we know it is God's Spirit testifying with our spirit? Look at people in remote areas who have never had a bible in their hand, never heard the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ. They know that God exists, yet they attribute what they know of Him to some idol. As Apostle Paul wrote "and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures"(Romans 1:23). They suppress the truth in their unrighteousness(Romans 1:18), because they take what they see and attribute its existence to some sort of statue. They do not know the Spirit of God. Why do I say this? They do not know the word of God. So, they do not know that the spirits that have caused them to commit idolatry are not from God and they can not test them. We can know it is God's Spirit that testifies with our spirit because we have the word of God to live by.

The Spirit goes no further than the word of God. He brings the word of God to our memory many times. Sometimes I may be struggling over something when all of a sudden a verse will 'pop' into my mind. That is how God's Spirit speaks to us today.