Thoughts on Prayer Lengths

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
I attended a weekly Bible study with about seven other people. The evenings concluded with everyone taking turns saying a 1-2 minute prayer out loud. One individual however prayed on average between 8-10 minutes, and sometimes even longer, often repeating the prayers that were just lifted.

Her prayers became a distraction to me. I always ended up losing focus, blocking her out and even getting annoyed. Eventually I left the group because of this. Thoughts?

S

Susanna

I attended a weekly Bible study with about seven other people. The evenings concluded with everyone taking turns saying a 1-2 minute prayer out loud. One individual however prayed on average between 8-10 minutes, and sometimes even longer, often repeating the prayers that were just lifted.

Her prayers became a distraction to me. I always ended up losing focus, blocking her out and even getting annoyed. Eventually I left the group because of this. Thoughts?
Well, there’s Matthew 23:14, and then there’s Matthew 5:5. I don’t know what suits the better, or to whom (of you) they applies, but could be a start.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well I wonder about her prayer honestly. Some people say long and repetitive prayers for appearances others are lead by the spirit to do so but if it distracted you then it may not have been of the spirit. Personally I never liked saying my prayers out loud I like to keep my conversation with God in a still quiet setting alone together but I don't blame you for leaving I would get distracted too

jb

Feb 27, 2010

Someone should have a kind gentle loving word with her, requesting that she keeps her prayers to the 1-2 minute...

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Well I wonder about her prayer honestly. Some people say long and repetitive prayers for appearances others are lead by the spirit to do so but if it distracted you then it may not have been of the spirit. Personally I never liked saying my prayers out loud I like to keep my conversation with God in a still quiet setting alone together but I don't blame you for leaving I would get distracted too
I appreciate your understanding. ❤️

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Someone should have a kind gentle loving word with her, requesting that she keeps her prayers to the 1-2 minute...
One time she prayed so long that the next person prayed by saying, “what she said”.

I used to wonder if God was pleased at the magnitude of her prayer or if He possibly felt otherwise.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Once while in full-time service to the Word, I came back to my Alma Mater and first true assembly for me in the faith. One of my sisters asked if she might pray for me, I said, of course. She prayed in front of me out loud asking God to get me a paying job.

I had and have never asked anyone for financial aid of any kind at any leel. I have neer owed,, nor am owed to, yet this sister had to ask God to get me to find da job, out loud in front of me, not paying attention to the reality that I was very happy, not hungry, giveing to others but most importanly, I was sharing the word in large segment of the US and influenced the spreading of the gospel more to the Caribean countries....so. When you all want to praqy for anyone, especially for me, pleasde do it in private, and our Father will hear you in private.

God bless that sister, and God bless all who are privileged to reside in His Family, amen.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
One time she prayed so long that the next person prayed by saying, “what she said”.

I used to wonder if God was pleased at the magnitude of her prayer or if He possibly felt otherwise.
I think that long verbose prayers are quite often used to "preach" to the listeners, and personally speaking, I find such prayers boring and selfish, and they (usually) bring nothing to the "meeting" and indeed quite often "quench" the Holy Spirit!

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
There are many different types of prayer. We can talk to God all day long and we should. We will get a lot of feedback on the things we see in the world. I consider that to be instant in prayer (see Rom. 12:12).

I reserve time for a formal prayer before retiring for the day. I like to follow a pre-set pattern in that formal prayer so I don't leave anything out. More for my sake than the Lord's. I always include family and the needy here.

As a preacher and in the mission field I have often led in group prayer. When we let the Holy Spirit lead us we will keep these short and to the point; so as not to be burdensome. :)(y)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
It is true that there are many kinds of prayer and each believer has a preference but the main thing I think is that is it from the heart not elaborate or righteous sounding for the sake of using eloquent usage of words. A lot of new believers actually don't know how to pray and make this mistake thinking that is the thing to do but if it is not from the heart then the holy spirit is not in it and thus in vain like stale empty words.

Growing up my family would say prayer before eating because it was tradition and they would always want me to say it because I was good with words and could make a prayer soun fancy. Not only did I hate saying prayer out loud but it was fake I just spoke how I thought it ought to sound and everyone loved it.

To be honest I confess that I don't like saying my prayers outloud especially in group prayer because I get embarrassed and can't speak what is truly in my heart but my prayers with him when we are alone are some of the most beautiful and powerful experiences I have ever had with him.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I guess at that point you shouldn’t let it bother you to the point of leaving. I mean is the group still good? Still biblical teaching staying on the line theologically? I can understand it getting on your nerves, but at that point I think you gotta pray for peace during that time. Knowing that’s just how they are.