Tips for Earning for Heaven

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
What do the treasures of heaven look like though? What are we earning? Approbation? Get-out-of-jail-free cards?
I have an idea as I listened to near death experiences and they share a hint of what's awaiting us. In general, if you didn't do anything worth rewarding but still made it to heaven, you would be in paradise or the place outside of the city and you may have a small tent inside of the city as your home. They describe paradise as having beautiful lush grass, flowers, and massive trees. The temperature is a perfect 72 degrees and the sky is blue with no sun. God gives off the light.

Now, I'll talk about rewards. Your home will be as big as your deeds or more precisely you'll like your home more the more love you showed. It won't necessarily be bigger as some people like small homes. Now the next part is my belief as I'm getting this from the fact that love is how you earn for heaven. Let's say you shared food with someone when you really wanted to eat the food. In heaven maybe you'll be rewarded with delicious dishes. If you washed the dishes on earth and you really hated it, you may have servants in heaven. If you spent time with your kids and you didn't really want to do that, you'll be able to spend time with beautiful angels in heaven if that's your thing. The reward corresponds to the love you showed. How you loved is how you'll be rewarded. I have a strong feeling that this is how it is because of the fact that in hell testimonies, they said the damned were tormented according to their sins. So, why would God not reward us according to our deeds which I think is also mentioned in the Bible.
 
I always find it interesting when I hear some people talking about how God has a mansion for them in heaven. I understand that this is from the Bible, but sometimes I wonder if God has a different idea of what a "mansion" is than we do.

I am adopted, and the story goes that I was found in a cardboard box in front of a theater, then was taken to the police, who brought me to the orphanage. They say that someone was likely watching to make sure I was found. It was guessed that I was about 3 days old. However, I don't know how much of that is actually true (besides guessing my age.) In recent years, I've read too many similar stories from other adoptees that had me thinking, "Was everyone just leaving unwanted babies around in cardboard boxes at that time?"

Further research dug up that this was a common fairytale that social workers were told to tell prospective parents at this time to pretty up harsh realties, such as babies being left in dumpsters, etc.

I grew up with my Dad (my wonderful, God-given REAL parents, who adopted me) saying, "I don't care if I'm cleaning toilets in heaven, as long as I make it there." My parents always taught us to live below our means, so that's what I've always thought about heaven, too.

Not that anything I did in this life should be rewarded.

But I have often told God that if the "room" or "mansion" He has waiting for me is that same cardboard box I was found in (if the story is real,) I'll be perfectly fine with that. (Maybe it will have an extension, as I'm a bit bigger than I was at 3 days old.)

To be honest, I actually do hope He has it waiting for me, because if the story is true, I really would like to see that box.

I never want to forget where I came from.

Yes, we all come from God, but I always want to remember my less-than-ideal beginnings, and where God took me after that.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Godsgirl1983
No worries, Suze.

I'm sure @Lynx will be along to tell you himself, but in the context of your post, when Lynx says "cute," what he means is, "Very clever, extremely intelligent answer, good job!" And, he often also thinking, "I wish I would have thought of that myself!"

It is one of his highest compliments, and for your post, very well deserved. :)
Phew ! I can never b quite sure with Lynx , wether he's being serious or if he has his claws out 🙀 .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Godsgirl1983
I have an idea as I listened to near death experiences and they share a hint of what's awaiting us. In general, if you didn't do anything worth rewarding but still made it to heaven, you would be in paradise or the place outside of the city and you may have a small tent inside of the city as your home. They describe paradise as having beautiful lush grass, flowers, and massive trees. The temperature is a perfect 72 degrees and the sky is blue with no sun. God gives off the light.

Now, I'll talk about rewards. Your home will be as big as your deeds or more precisely you'll like your home more the more love you showed. It won't necessarily be bigger as some people like small homes. Now the next part is my belief as I'm getting this from the fact that love is how you earn for heaven. Let's say you shared food with someone when you really wanted to eat the food. In heaven maybe you'll be rewarded with delicious dishes. If you washed the dishes on earth and you really hated it, you may have servants in heaven. If you spent time with your kids and you didn't really want to do that, you'll be able to spend time with beautiful angels in heaven if that's your thing. The reward corresponds to the love you showed. How you loved is how you'll be rewarded. I have a strong feeling that this is how it is because of the fact that in hell testimonies, they said the damned were tormented according to their sins. So, why would God not reward us according to our deeds which I think is also mentioned in the Bible.
So....what do u make of 1st Corinthians Ch 15 V 12-28 ?
 
Boy! All this talk about mansions!
I haven't heard this one in years but suddenly it's all that's running through my mind:
I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And someday yonder
we will never more wander
But walk on streets that
are purist gold.









(And back in the day, in that old church, we usually sang these in the same set)


 
Boy! All this talk about mansions!
I haven't heard this one in years but suddenly it's all that's running through my mind:
I've got a mansion just over the hilltop
In that bright land where we'll never grow old
And someday yonder
we will never more wander
But walk on streets that
are purist gold.









(And back in the day, in that old church, we usually sang these in the same set)

I like Delta Dawn sung by Helen Ready ❤️ .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Godsgirl1983
I always find it interesting when I hear some people talking about how God has a mansion for them in heaven. I understand that this is from the Bible, but sometimes I wonder if God has a different idea of what a "mansion" is than we do.

I am adopted, and the story goes that I was found in a cardboard box in front of a theater, then was taken to the police, who brought me to the orphanage. They say that someone was likely watching to make sure I was found. It was guessed that I was about 3 days old. However, I don't know how much of that is actually true (besides guessing my age.) In recent years, I've read too many similar stories from other adoptees that had me thinking, "Was everyone just leaving unwanted babies around in cardboard boxes at that time?"

Further research dug up that this was a common fairytale that social workers were told to tell prospective parents at this time to pretty up harsh realties, such as babies being left in dumpsters, etc.

I grew up with my Dad (my wonderful, God-given REAL parents, who adopted me) saying, "I don't care if I'm cleaning toilets in heaven, as long as I make it there." My parents always taught us to live below our means, so that's what I've always thought about heaven, too.

Not that anything I did in this life should be rewarded.

But I have often told God that if the "room" or "mansion" He has waiting for me is that same cardboard box I was found in (if the story is real,) I'll be perfectly fine with that. (Maybe it will have an extension, as I'm a bit bigger than I was at 3 days old.)

To be honest, I actually do hope He has it waiting for me, because if the story is true, I really would like to see that box.

I never want to forget where I came from.

Yes, we all come from God, but I always want to remember my less-than-ideal beginnings, and where God took me after that.
My great grandma , my mum's dad's mum , was found in a cardboard box on the step of the local police station . I had my ethnic DNA done and I'm 19 per cent french and no one in my family knows where this has come from so , maybe it's from her ? I shall never know for sure . Have u considered getting yours done ? It might throw up a few , maybe even pleasant , surprises 🤷 u never know , they can go quite in depth if u r willing to pay a bit extra, I only had the basic one done . Forgive me if I'm prying , don't mean to ❤️ .
 
Matthew ch 19 V 16-22 .

Revelation Ch 3 V 21 .

😲 I'm not trying to b cute I promise ! Please forgive me if I came across as a smart a-s- , that was not my intention , I thought u were asking a genuine question and wanted an honest answer ❤️ .
Hey Suze, it's probably best not to promise anything for the Lord said in the Bible, "Do not swear. For you can neither make a hair on your head turn gray or black. Let your yes mean yes and no mean no. Anything more is from the evil one." When you make promises, you're swearing a small oath. Also, to not make promises is another way to earn.
 
My great grandma , my mum's dad's mum , was found in a cardboard box on the step of the local police station . I had my ethnic DNA done and I'm 19 per cent french and no one in my family knows where this has come from so , maybe it's from her ? I shall never know for sure . Have u considered getting yours done ? It might throw up a few , maybe even pleasant , surprises 🤷 u never know , they can go quite in depth if u r willing to pay a bit extra, I only had the basic one done . Forgive me if I'm prying , don't mean to ❤️ .

Your story is always fascinating, Suze!

My whole life, people assumed I was part Caucasian. Even other Asians said I must be part white, citing my "bigger" eyes (than a lot of other Asians, apparently,) and "paler" skin.

I had a DNA test and... NOPE!!

At least according to that test... I'm something like 96% one particular ethnicity and the rest is a mix of all Asian (though I often wonder how accurate these tests really are.)

But my parents (who adopted me) are white, so I always say I'm a generic white kid that God poured into an Asian shell. :)

People ask all the time about if I want to find my "real" parents, but to me, my REAL parents are the ones who adopted me. There is no info in my file that could lead to me finding anything about my past and while I wanted to know when I was younger, I'm at an age now where it's up to God. Back when I was adopted, there was no thought about finding biological parents (unwanted babies were often shameful in my birth country and it was preferred to stay anonymous at all costs.)

To be honest, I'm not sure now if I would want to know. What if my biological father was a predatory older man who took advantage of, or all out abused a young girl and that's how I came to be? I would automatically hate my own birth father (and have to ask God to help me with that,) and be a source of a reminder of an uncurable pain (in this lifetime) to my birth mother.

People say, "Well, you don't know that," and I respond with, "How many babies do you know of are given away in secret by loving, wealthy families who would actually want them back?" My point to them is that babies are almost always not given away when produced in healthy, loving relationships. Dysfunction, and often extreme measures of it, is the root of child abandonment.

Every adopted or abandoned child wants to believe they are Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter, but that's just not the reality.

Things these days are are also getting rather complicated -- I read the story of a Chinese man who found his biological parents, who wanted nothing to do with him, and now he is trying to sue them for even having him.

I'm not sure if or how the case has been resolved, but I feel sorry for everyone involved.
 
Matthew ch 19 V 16-22 .

Revelation Ch 3 V 21 .

😲 I'm not trying to b cute I promise ! Please forgive me if I came across as a smart a-s- , that was not my intention , I thought u were asking a genuine question and wanted an honest answer ❤️ .
I composed a response that included a Matt 19 reference, but I didn't send it, here that is. Instead, I pasted it into another thread that addresses working toward one's salvation.

And when I came back, I see it hadn't been deleted.

This is what I wrote:

Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell all of his possessions and give to the poor and he would have treasure in heaven, and "then come, follow Me."

Hebrews 11, with the Chapter Heading: Faith and Assurance, is demonstrative of those who have treasure in heaven.
In reference to Enoch, scripture says, "...he was commended as one who pleased God (Heb 11: 5b)."
And the following verse explains, "And without faith it is impossible to please God...(Heb 11: 6a)."

By faith, Joshua walked around the walls of Jericho
By faith, Rahab welcomed the spies
And the chapter concludes, "These were all commended for their faith, yet they did not receive what was promised. God had planned something better for us, so that together with us they would be made perfect (Heb 11:39-40)."


And after seeing your reference to Rev 3:21, it dawned on me that "together with us they would be made perfect" may very well speaking toward exactly how being 'made perfect' actually translates into reality. That is, all of us, sitting with Him on His throne! What better treasure or reward is there than that?!

His throne! I mean, what could possibly be lacking from that position?! 🤗
 
It was Jesus who said that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak 😜 .
Thank you.
It's true, our flesh is weak and we sometimes sin. He warned the disciples, but not any of them were lost except the son of perdition, Judas Iscariot. He never trusted Jesus as his Savior.
 
I have always considered that passage about storing up treasures in heaven to be more "general".... not a shopping list of things to do.
Basically it's saying, live the best life you can, following Jesus... be the best person you can... be concerned/consumed with "heavenly things".
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suze
Your story is always fascinating, Suze!

My whole life, people assumed I was part Caucasian. Even other Asians said I must be part white, citing my "bigger" eyes (than a lot of other Asians, apparently,) and "paler" skin.

I had a DNA test and... NOPE!!

At least according to that test... I'm something like 96% one particular ethnicity and the rest is a mix of all Asian (though I often wonder how accurate these tests really are.)

But my parents (who adopted me) are white, so I always say I'm a generic white kid that God poured into an Asian shell. :)

People ask all the time about if I want to find my "real" parents, but to me, my REAL parents are the ones who adopted me. There is no info in my file that could lead to me finding anything about my past and while I wanted to know when I was younger, I'm at an age now where it's up to God. Back when I was adopted, there was no thought about finding biological parents (unwanted babies were often shameful in my birth country and it was preferred to stay anonymous at all costs.)

To be honest, I'm not sure now if I would want to know. What if my biological father was a predatory older man who took advantage of, or all out abused a young girl and that's how I came to be? I would automatically hate my own birth father (and have to ask God to help me with that,) and be a source of a reminder of an uncurable pain (in this lifetime) to my birth mother.

People say, "Well, you don't know that," and I respond with, "How many babies do you know of are given away in secret by loving, wealthy families who would actually want them back?" My point to them is that babies are almost always not given away when produced in healthy, loving relationships. Dysfunction, and often extreme measures of it, is the root of child abandonment.

Every adopted or abandoned child wants to believe they are Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter, but that's just not the reality.

Things these days are are also getting rather complicated -- I read the story of a Chinese man who found his biological parents, who wanted nothing to do with him, and now he is trying to sue them for even having him.

I'm not sure if or how the case has been resolved, but I feel sorry for everyone involved.
In London , over the last few years , 3 abandoned babies have been found , all these babies have the same DNA that indicates they r siblings and come from the same mum and dad . This has had a lot of publicity but the biological parents haven't been found . The babies have been adopted and, they will all know each other from an early age ❤️ thanks to God they were found and r all doing ok . U should b able to find this on line somewhere I'm sure .
 
  • Love
Reactions: seoulsearch
In London , over the last few years , 3 abandoned babies have been found , all these babies have the same DNA that indicates they r siblings and come from the same mum and dad . This has had a lot of publicity but the biological parents haven't been found . The babies have been adopted and, they will all know each other from an early age ❤️ thanks to God they were found and r all doing ok . U should b able to find this on line somewhere I'm sure .

Thanks for telling me about this, Suze! ♥️

I'm sorry for going so off-track in this thread, but you really stirred up my heart. :)

As an adopted child, I have mixed feelings about everything they can do to find birth parents nowadays. One of the very reasons people have given up babies for adoption was because back in the day, it was somewhat assured that they could remain anonymous -- nowadays, there is no reassurance of that. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

This has brought up all kinds of issues about what rights birth parents have to remain anonymous and what rights adoptees have when trying to find them.

Many parents have reasons to remain anonymous. In cases like sexual assault, incest, domestic violence, staying anonymous could be a matter of life and death. Many people don't realize that not all adoptee/biological family reunions are a good thing.

I personally think that pushing for too many rights on either side will tempt more people to choose abortion or somehow ending the life of the child, because for some people, if they can't stay anonymous, they will feel that having the child is too much of a risk.

DNA testing/analytics (as all technology) has opened a whole new can of worms. I've read about some children whose DNA reveals that their birth was the result between family relations, such as a grandfather/granddaughter, etc.

If someone finds out this was their origin as an adult, is it better left unknown, or does the grandfather face some kind of repercussion now, even though the child produced is now a full adult?

If a woman has birthed a child through rape and just wants to give the child a better life and try to move on from her trauma, should she then be forced to meet and act as some sort of mother figure to that child when he or she grows up and insists on finding them?

And even back when I was growing up, I knew other families who "passed off" adopted children as their own -- never telling them they were adopted. I've heard of one case in which, when the child grew up, had a DNA test, and found out his parents were not his biological parents. But they had always tried to pass him off as their child.

Last I heard, he wants nothing to do with them, as even though they had "good" intentions, he feels he can't trust people who have lied to him his entire life.
 
Any acts we do with the thought of earning heavenly rewards will likely get burnt up. The things we do in Jesus without a thought to getting any gain from it will be the things that we're rewarded for. Of course, Jesus will really deserve the credit.
Hey brother first of all I would like to thank you for sharing this tip, but I want to share my belief. Yes, what you say is ideal to not expect a reward for the deeds you've done. This kind of love is more perfect and deserves a more perfect reward, but even if you did expect a reward, I believe you would still get something though the reward may not be as perfect as not expecting anything. I believe this because of the things I've read and listened to. I would recommend people aspire to the kind of love you're pointing towards though, but this should be done through effort, time and knowledge. You're not going to automatically show perfect love just right out of the bat. This needs to be worked at.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hornetguy
Hey brother first of all I would like to thank you for sharing this tip, but I want to share my belief. Yes, what you say is ideal to not expect a reward for the deeds you've done. This kind of love is more perfect and deserves a more perfect reward, but even if you did expect a reward, I believe you would still get something though the reward may not be as perfect as not expecting anything. I believe this because of the things I've read and listened to. I would recommend people aspire to the kind of love you're pointing towards though, but this should be done through effort, time and knowledge. You're not going to automatically show perfect love just right out of the bat. This needs to be worked

Hey brother first of all I would like to thank you for sharing this tip, but I want to share my belief. Yes, what you say is ideal to not expect a reward for the deeds you've done. This kind of love is more perfect and deserves a more perfect reward, but even if you did expect a reward, I believe you would still get something though the reward may not be as perfect as not expecting anything. I believe this because of the things I've read and listened to. I would recommend people aspire to the kind of love you're pointing towards though, but this should be done through effort, time and knowledge. You're not going to automatically show perfect love just right out of the bat. This needs to be worked at.
One way to learn how to do things without expecting a reward is , to do things for people that cannot possibly reward u in any way , and to do those things willingly , cheerfully and without begrudging the time and effort u put into doing , whatever it is that u do for them . God is a rewarder , yes , He is a rewarder of those that seek Him . That's what we need to b doing , seeking Him , not hoping for brownie points . Getting to know Him and His Son , feeling Their Presence , feeling Their Love , knowing that They r with u , these things in and of themselves r enough to cause most Christians great joy and , the peace that passeth all understanding . That's reward enough for most of us I believe .