Tithing. What are Christians suppose to do?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tithing

• Total voters

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
The term "tithe", simply means "a tenth". There is nothing in the term that indicates it is compulsory or a commandment.

The Law of Moses included tithing as a commandment, but tithing was practiced before the Law was given.
The context of the post was "Tithing. What are Christians supposed to do?" As tithing was an Old Testament commandment, it is reasonably implied that the context is "Are Christians under an obligation to tithe", irrespective of the fact that giving a tenth part was also sometimes done outside the Old Testament law. Similarly, had the title been "Circumcision. What are Christians supposed to do?" the argument would reasonably focus on the difference between the Old and New covenants, not the fact that circumcision was and is practiced by other people groups than Jews, and for reasons other than religious.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You was meant in plural for all, not you specifically. I'm answering in the context of giving which seems like the intent of the OP's question, you're answering in the biblical technical definition of tithe.

I guess it would just be easier for OP to state the intent: of giving 1%,5%,10% or a question about the practice of old testament tithing under the law, and if we're still supposed to follow old testament laws, which seems Juvenile as majority of Christians unless ultra brand new know, we're under grace not law.
I appreciate your clarification; it did seem like you were addressing me directly.

Although I have not encountered many recently, I formerly knew many Christians who believed that we are required to tithe--as in surrender 10% of our gross income to our local church, and give substantial offerings over and above. One local church I visited (only once!) taught the same thing. This is why I resist use of the term "tithing" in place of "giving"; as much as Christians should know that we are not under the Law, many don't understand how that works with finances. It doesn't help that the big-name Christian finance advisors teach tithing 10% as a standard practice.

Nov 8, 2019
London, England
I don't see how a few comments in passing constitute "very important". I also don't see how said comments, from the middle of Jesus' rebuke of the Pharisees, can be taken as directive for Christians. Context is always important! :)
2 Timothy 4:3 King James Version (KJV)

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

You statements demonstrate why, apparently, you don't understand anything you are reading in Scripture. You are seeing what you want to see. You don't want to Tithe, that's why, apparently, you see Tithing as irrelevant.

What we have learnt concerning Scripture:

1) Every Word, Law, Command and Doctrine from Genesis to Revelation is absolutely crucial.
2) Every Word that Yeshua/Jesus utters is with Great Veracity and Purpose.
3) Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ in all things he speaks and does teaches to be a Follower of Christ. He is teaching the Scribes and Pharisees to be a Follower of Christ.

Nov 8, 2019
London, England
There is no qualification. Either you belong to Jesus or you don’t. What you do with your money is between you and God.

Revelation 5:1-2 King James Version (KJV)

5 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

If there is no qualification, how can you tell Real Disciples from the Fake Disciples? Without a qualification anyone can claim to be a Disciple and it will be accepted, can they not? Do, for example, Doctors have to reach a certain standard to be accepted as Real Doctors?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
If there is no qualification, how can you tell Real Disciples from the Fake Disciples? Without a qualification anyone can claim to be a Disciple and it will be accepted, can they not? Do, for example, Doctors have to reach a certain standard to be accepted as Real Doctors?
Huh?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
You statements demonstrate why, apparently, you don't understand anything you are reading in Scripture. You are seeing what you want to see. You don't want to Tithe, that's why, apparently, you see Tithing as irrelevant.
You demonstrate clearly that you are not paying close enough attention to what I'm saying.

Please go and learn what an ad hominem fallacy is, and stop employing it. Pointing fingers at me isn't helping anyone understand these issues.

What we have learnt concerning Scripture:

1) Every Word, Law, Command and Doctrine from Genesis to Revelation is absolutely crucial.
Crucial, as in you follow it? Do you stone adulterers? Do you go to the Temple three times a year? Do you gird yourself up like a man and go to slaughter Canaanites? No. When you understand the Bible properly, you will see understand that Christians are not required to follow every directive given to Israel. Should we read the OT? Yes. Are we under the Law? No. It's that simple.

2) Every Word that Yeshua/Jesus utters is with Great Veracity and Purpose.
3) Yeshua Messiah/Jesus Christ in all things he speaks and does teaches to be a Follower of Christ. He is teaching the Scribes and Pharisees to be a Follower of Christ.
No, He was rebuking them consistently for following their own man-made religion instead of His word in the Law.

Your use of words like "great veracity and purpose" is just blowing smoke. You don't have a coherent argument.

Nov 8, 2019
London, England
You demonstrate clearly that you are not paying close enough attention to what I'm saying.

Please go and learn what an ad hominem fallacy is, and stop employing it. Pointing fingers at me isn't helping anyone understand these issues.

Crucial, as in you follow it? Do you stone adulterers? Do you go to the Temple three times a year? Do you gird yourself up like a man and go to slaughter Canaanites? No. When you understand the Bible properly, you will see understand that Christians are not required to follow every directive given to Israel. Should we read the OT? Yes. Are we under the Law? No. It's that simple.

No, He was rebuking them consistently for following their own man-made religion instead of His word in the Law.

Your use of words like "great veracity and purpose" is just blowing smoke. You don't have a coherent argument.

2 Timothy 3:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
2 Timothy 3:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
What's your point?

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
Revelation 5:1-2 King James Version (KJV)

5 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.

2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof?

17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them
Matthew 7:17-20

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
I might be kicking a hornets nest, but I would like to know what some people’s opinions on the matter are. Are we called to give a tenth as the Israelites were, or do we give according what’s in our heart? Please let me know. I look forward to a spirited(And friendly) discussion.
Hi Aerials1978,

Here's how I see it

2 Corinthians 9: 6. Remember this: he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly. He who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7. Let each man give according as he has determined in his heart; not grudgingly, or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.

So, give what you feel good about. If you don't feel good about giving it, don't give it!

Jan 9, 2020
I appreciate your clarification; it did seem like you were addressing me directly.

Although I have not encountered many recently, I formerly knew many Christians who believed that we are required to tithe--as in surrender 10% of our gross income to our local church, and give substantial offerings over and above. One local church I visited (only once!) taught the same thing. This is why I resist use of the term "tithing" in place of "giving"; as much as Christians should know that we are not under the Law, many don't understand how that works with finances. It doesn't help that the big-name Christian finance advisors teach tithing 10% as a standard practice.
No worries sorry for any confusion

Yeah I know, that’s why I mentioned majority of churches / people use the word kind of interchangeably as giving, and not specifically Old Testament law tithing.

Sound biblical ones explain that we’re not under the Old Testament laws but still use the word in the sense of general giving.

Yeah if they are teaching compulsory 10% that is unbiblical, but 10% and above based on cheerful giving and being generous yes, and only give cheerfully, if you can’t they don’t want you’re money begrudgingly.

And it’s how I’ve heard majority explain it, but of course there are a few churches that I guess are in business to extort people.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
And it’s how I’ve heard majority explain it, but of course there are a few churches that I guess are in business to extort people.
The ones I've experienced personally aren't corrupt, just deeply misled and/or confused about the Christian's relationship to the Law. I recall talking with an assistant pastor about this. He immediately asked, "Then how would the church bills get paid?" He had completely conflated "giving" with "tithing". Otherwise, he was an outstanding Christian man for whom I had, and still have, much respect. The head pastor of the same church once told me, after quoting Malachi 3 at me, that "Malachi is basically part of the New Testament". I don't respect him anymore, though that isn't the only reason.

Jan 12, 2019

Some churches have a rule that, if you want to be a member, you have to commit yourself to giving 10%.

Other churches will have a guideline, that if you want to serve as a leader, say small group leader, or join the worship team, your giving record must show that you consistently give. This is modeled under the parable of the unjust steward, where if you cannot trust with being faithful with God's money, you should not be given trust for anything else.

Are these practices necessary wrong? I don't think so. They are trying to teach their people that the least use of your faith is with money. It will be silly to say, "I trust God for my health, for souls etc etc", if they are not going to even trust God in terms of money.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
For those interested you can find a study on tithing Here

Nov 8, 2019
London, England
17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them
Matthew 7:17-20
Amen!!!

The Hebrew Root of "Amen" - 119 Ministries

Nov 8, 2019
London, England

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
What was purpose of worshippers bring their tithe or first fruits to the storehouse?
To supply food for the Levites and priests whose job was to minister, judge, and teach.
more than to see to the needs of the priests; also to care for the poor and needy.
the law contains '
social welfare' programs ((o leftist horrors!)) ;)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
This is a strange argument from silence. Jacob ended up being richer than both Abraham and Issac. Just because Genesis did not record him regularly tithing, its plain silly to say Jacob did not do it.

Imagine if the Bible included Jacob, or Issac or Abraham tithing, it will sound like this

Genesis 18:33 When the Lord had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home, and Abraham tithe to the Lord

Genesis 26:12 Isaac planted crops in that land and the same year reaped a hundredfold, because the Lord blessed him, and Issac tithe to the Lord.

Can you see how silly it is for the Bible to record down every time these people tithe, in order to convince us Christians 2000 years later that tithing was before the Law?
ok, suppose they did tithe. who do you suppose Abraham & Isaac & Jacob gave a regular tenth to?
there wasn't a tabernacle. there weren't Levites. there were poor - there are always poor - is this who they tithed to?
do you reckon they traveled to Salem and gave to Melchizedek every year? i suppose that's possible. before the law was given, what other priest is ever mentioned?
or do you figure they simply gave a tenth of everything in thanksgiving offerings by fire? if that's so, which model should we follow - should we burn a tenth of our income on an altar by fire? or give it to the poor? or give it to a priest? but we're called a nation of priests - every one. who is the Levite in the new covenant?