To tip or not tip

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Should a waitress receive a tip on a carryout order? This waitress lost her job for calling out a church on Facebook for failing to tip on a large carryout order.

Outback waitress stiffed on $735 takeout order fired for complaint facebook

Outback fired her for taking the her dissatisfaction with a customer to a public venue. I don't have a problem with this.

The church that stiffed her was wrong. Their excuse was that they didn't know that one should tip on a carryout order.

What say you?

Servers have a minimum wage that is half (or less in some states) the actual minimum wage. Their income is what they earn in tips. If the service is poor, I tip 15%. If it is good, I tip 20 to 25%.

My friend owns a nice restaurant. He avoids this type of situation by adding a 15% gratuity to all party tabs and take out orders over $100.

N

NoNameMcgee

i say you SHOULD tip for a take out order to a waitress or waiter who still makes sure you have napkins and ect

gets your order in bags
and brings it to you

maybe a bit less % than if he/she tends to you throughout your meal

but still a tip

that being said

any waiter/waitress who gets an attitude towards the customer over that needs a different job

he/she represents the establishment he/she works for

Aug 2, 2009
If you should tip for a carryout order, then why shouldn't you tip whenever you order food to go at McDonald's?....

They also have to make the food and bag it, and sometimes they have to carry it out to your car (this has happened to me several times because they needed time to get the food ready and I was in the drive-thru)

N

NoNameMcgee

If you should tip for a carryout order, then why shouldn't you tip whenever you order food to go at McDonald's?....

They also have to make the food and bag it, and sometimes they have to carry it out to your car (this has happened to me several times because they needed time to get the food ready and I was in the drive-thru)

in most states mcdonalds (lol or the few ive lived in... maybe not most) would pay more than a waitress

when i used to work in a kitchen...

the wait staff made 70+% of their money off tips

payed lower than min wage

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
In germany tips are rare but i believe its right to tip any waitress. Especially with the low salary they get

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
The only time I don't tip is if the service is just exceptionally bad

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Extreme care must be used when tipping. If you go too far you can upset and cause injury. This is especially true of those in their eighties or younger folks on ice and snow covered surfaces.

It was not a good testimony for the church not to tip the establishment for the take out order. It was poor practice for the employee to complain on social media. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Perhaps the person who picked up the food assumed the tip was already included in the bill? In any case I was not there so I cannot say with authority what transpired.

Church haters will seize any opportunity to cast aspersions on the church.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

R

renewed_hope

I never tip on a carry out order and I also don't leave a tip when I get asked if I want to leave one. With all that said when I do tip, I tip extremely well :)

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Extreme care must be used when tipping. If you go too far you can upset and cause injury. This is especially true of those in their eighties or younger folks on ice and snow covered surfaces.

It was not a good testimony for the church not to tip the establishment for the take out order. It was poor practice for the employee to complain on social media. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Perhaps the person who picked up the food assumed the tip was already included in the bill? In any case I was not there so I cannot say with authority what transpired.

Church haters will seize any opportunity to cast aspersions on the church.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I went to lunch at a local restaurant with my Sunday School Class. Our class secretary picked up and paid the tab, she left no tip. When we discovered the error, I went back, apologized and gave the waitress a large tip. I was shocked when she told me that it was rare that a church group left more than five or ten dollars as a tip.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I don't see the need to tip on a carry-out

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I don't either, but if they have the jar, I feel guilted into it. The people who work in the carry out places here, get regular wages.

Jul 15, 2017
I find America strange with the tipping culture and never know how much to leave and who I'm supposed to tip and who I'm not supposed to ;) One of the times I went to Florida the hotel maids left little hand written thank you notes for their tips which I thought was nice.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

My fries were cold yesterday, per usual.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Fast food joints pay full wages. I don't see a need, but I do tip occasionally, especially around holidays.

Restaurants like Outback use servers to prepare carry out orders. If you choose to get your carryout at one of these, leave the server a tip. You'll get better service the next time you order.

Do you tip the delivery boy or carhops?

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Tipping is a source of continuing perplexity for us Aussies.

We really don't understand how a first world rich economy has
so much underpaid & low paid beggarly rates.

I guess to us looking at the U.S. and the need for tipping in your
hospitality and service sectors for workers to survive and make
a living makes much of your workforce look like beggars, depending
on handouts.

Australia through our British class struggle heritage has a very robust
trade union movement and a superb industrial arbitration court system.
Even low paid workers like grape pickers, labourers, drivers, waiting staff,
domestic workers and so on are protected by law.
The whole of Australia both federally and in the states and territories
are covered by industrial awards that guarantee minimum wages
and conditions.

The basic wage today (adults) would guarantee $20 per hour plus
9% superannuation (paid by the employer)
plus WorkCover,for accidents and injuries, also paid by the employer.

If we tip our service workers and waiting staff it is usually for excellent
service above the usual. A good attitude and a pleasant demeanour with
good customer service.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Tip with respect to service stands for To Improve Service. The tip should be offered prior to service not post service. Tips at the race track or stock tips are another matter altogether.

Nothing wrong with merit pay. Unions will never understand this concept.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Tip with respect to service stands for To Improve Service. The tip should be offered prior to service not post service. Tips at the race track or stock tips are another matter altogether.

Nothing wrong with merit pay. Unions will never understand this concept.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Merit pay, like any other pay can be, and often is, abused. I've witnessed many instances where the "boss's best buddy" gets the merit pay while the one who deserves it never sees a penny.

There is nothing wrong with a union that represents its members and the members represent the company.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i've tipped the dishwasher before, because my plates were exceptionally clean.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
If she had to go out to the car with their order then they should've tipped her for her efforts. I would think if you went into the restaurant and picked the food up yourself then no tip would be required. Just my thoughts. But yes, servers depend on their tips. She probably would've let this one slide if it wasn't for the fact that the order was so large, so she felt she missed out on a large tip.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I have never tipped for takeout food. There is usually very little that the person that hands you the food has done to get that food to you. To be honest, I never even thought about tipping for takeout.

For wait staff/bartenders, etc, I start my tipping at 20%, going somewhat higher for better than normal service. Bartenders usually get quite a bit more... If I purchase a $7 drink, a $1.50 tip seems paltry. I would probably round that up to a $10 total.

edit.... that being said, a $750 take out meal is way above average, and I would have most likely included some kind of tip.... probably not 20%.... maybe $50 or so.

Last edited: