Trinity or Unity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AndrewMorgan

Jul 10, 2022
This may seem a strangely basic issue to many, as they have this matter entrenched in their mind, but my background makes me unsure of things. I'll briefly elaborate, although at the moment, I'm not thinking as clearly as I otherwise would.
I was not born into a Christian (or any other religious) home and in my teens was a vehement atheist. I was later more questioning and when I was 26, I met people from a religious group called "The Way" (I don't know how many readers have heard of them). They were unitarians (with a small "u" - not the main Unitarian church). At that time, I knew almost nothing about the Bible and precious little about science.
They invited me to attend their meetings, which after a bit I did. I bought some of their literature.
After reading something of theirs, I was stricken with terror. It was about the unforgivable sin. They rendered the matter as follows - paraphrasing:- "He who is born of God has eternal life and the love of God. He who is born of the Devil has eternal death and the hate of the Devil. You cannot repent of seed - it is permanent".
I thought about what I may have done in the past and my former vehemently ungodly attitude.
During the next few months, I frantically interacted with many (nominally) Christian people and denominations, trying to glean knowledge. On the whole to a lesser extent, this attempt at learning and uncertainty has been with me ever since - I'm now 63.
I've "seen" things from both Trinitarian and Unitarian perspectives. I'd say, in the NT, there is, at least on prima facie considerstion, some material that supports either view.
I'd be interested in reading others' (preferably Bible-based) reasoning on this matter.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Just a fair warning, Christian Chat holds that any doctrine other that Trinitarianism is heresy and those promoting heresy risk being removed. I will allow a little leeway for the purposes of this thread.

P

persistent

Just a fair warning, Christian Chat holds that any doctrine other that Trinitarianism is heresy and those promoting heresy risk being removed. I will allow a little leeway for the purposes of this thread.

Just a fair warning, Christian Chat holds that any doctrine other that Trinitarianism is heresy and those promoting heresy risk being removed. I will allow a little leeway for the purposes of this th

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Going to the Bible itself is the thing. What does it say in context?

Revelation has Jesus calling Himself the alpha and omega.. which is full diety.. a term for the Father..equality with the Father. Then Jesus speaks to the churches which is also the Spirit speaking.

At the beginning of John you've got Jesus as the Word being with God and all things being made thru Him. In Genesis you've got the Spirit of God there at the same time.

I see this as one being.. God in three expressions... at the same time.. equal.. all fully God.

P

persistent

Still getting adjusted to this site and to understanding the Bible and its implications. Have had many unusual occurrences in my life. Now I realize that these occurrences were supernatural and around early 2021 have accepted Jesus Christ. But, what is Trinitarianism? I'll guess it means belief in Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You have said it, Bible based. Anyone needing the title of a denomination is already strying from theWord, that is the Bible and with the Hoy Spirit guiding, that is Jesus.

Pray always in Jesus ' name and believe the Bible. Anyone bringing in titles of denominations in place of the Word is deceived for now.

You have already turned from darkness to the true Light. Do not be deceved any more.. If it is not in the Word, you are free t hold it in abeyance until you are given understanding,and that could be in this age or come the Kingdom. God Is good always, never an exception. You are in my prayers. All needed blessings in Jesus Yeshua.

Jun 20, 2022
Matthew 28:19 has always confused me. in the Name[Singular]... why not in the Name(s) which is a clear reference to more than one?

then Acts 2:38 is also Name [Singular].

every translation uses the Singular format for Name.

so if it's written in singular Format, what is the NAME of the Father-Son-Holy Spirit?

God?

4th Century Greek Text:
19 Go, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

16th Century TR Text:
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Modern Day Text:
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, immersing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Ruach ha-Kodesh.

really odd using a Singular Name format to represent Multiple Members.

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022
Going to the Bible itself is the thing. What does it say in context?

Revelation has Jesus calling Himself the alpha and omega.. which is full diety.. a term for the Father..equality with the Father. Then Jesus speaks to the churches which is also the Spirit speaking.

At the beginning of John you've got Jesus as the Word being with God and all things being made thru Him. In Genesis you've got the Spirit of God there at the same time.

I see this as one being.. God in three expressions... at the same time.. equal.. all fully God.
Sounds like Modalism not Trinitarianism.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Sounds like Modalism not Trinitarianism.
Not so much.. God is all three at the same time.. not changing from one to the other. It is trinitarianism. .I just don't like calling them 'persons' because it makes me think of seperate beings, when they are one God.

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022
Matthew 28:19 has always confused me. in the Name[Singular]... why not in the Name(s) which is a clear reference to more than one?

so if it's written in singular Format, what is the NAME of the Father-Son-Holy Spirit?

God?

4th Century Greek Text:
19 Go, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

16th Century TR Text:
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Modern Day Text:
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, immersing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Ruach ha-Kodesh.

It is singular because there is only one God in essence. Three persons in tri-unity. Co-equal , co-eternal.

Nov 26, 2021
India
Yes, God is One in Three Persons. And the Lord Jesus taught us this when He said: "baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Mat 28:19, NKJV)

St. Augustine aptly comments: "O Lord God, we firmly believe that You are a Trinity. For Truth [i.e. Jesus] would never have said, "Be Baptized in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit", unless you were a Trinity. He said Name and not names, showing the Three Persons are One God. Nor would He have commanded us to be baptized in the Name of one who was not Lord God". This passage shows clearly the Three Persons are One God, One Lord, Co-Equal and Co-Eternal.

And 1 Jn 5:7 (NKJV) is another good passage that teaches the Holy Trinity, that the Three are One: "7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these Three are One."

Three what? Three Persons. The Son is a Person, as is the Father, as is the Holy Spirit. So 3 Persons.

One what? One God. The Father is God. The Son and Spirit are One with Him, thus One God. 1 God.

Hence, it follows, from these two passages alone, that it is rightly said, the Three Persons are One God.

God Bless.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Some transliterated Hebrew may aid in understanding.
El may be translated as God. Eli, with that suffix, i, becomes the first person possessive, My God, as Jesus Yeshua cried from the Csross.

Elohim is plural, also translated as God Back in those times people would refer to God as El which literally translates as mighty one. Elohim is Mighty ones.

When Moses asked God's name, he was given Yahweh. As far as I have been able to discern through my limited linguistic prowess Yahweh is most closely akin to the gerund forrm "noun that is" of the infinitive , to be, however to be in the active form. That is saying self-existing.

The gist of thisis God will be What He will be. Bearing this in mind we then understand that The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are God, and they are One. I believe this on faith, not on total understanding however this does explain also Isaiah 9?6.
Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Couns Note: this quote did not fully past in, so you may include the names God Almighty, Eternal Father, Ruler of Peace along witeh Wonderful and Counselor. Glitch?

So name may be singular or plural however for the sake of order, I believe it best to keep it to singular, since all things are possible with our Maker, Yahweh.

Jun 20, 2022
The Name of all three is the Father , the Son and the Holy Spirit. One God, three Persons.
that makes no common sense at all and Matthew was very educational and purposefully used NAME.

it clearly is saying the Father-Son-Holy Spirit have a singular Name that ALL can go by.

Aussie52

Aug 31, 2022
that makes no common sense at all and Matthew was very educational and purposefully used NAME.

it clearly is saying the Father-Son-Holy Spirit have a singular Name that ALL can go by.
You are trying to get an intellectual hold on the Trinity, impossible. At the end of the day you have to grasp it by faith.

Jun 20, 2022
You are trying to get an intellectual hold on the Trinity, impossible. At the end of the day you have to grasp it by faith.
i am trying to see why Jesus would use Name, not Name((s)).

and then in Acts Peter changes it.

maybe Peter is thinking like i am thinking. but i would like to know this NAME that represents all Three!

P

persistent

God?

4th Century Greek Text:

16th Century TR Text:

Modern Day Text:

What translation do you take the Modern Day Text from?