Troublesome things you would ban

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ok you can only go on a power trip in this thread. You must state your reasons for banning the thing you want to ban.

My thing would be to ban shopping trolleys. I wouldnt ban shops, but just the trolleys. Why, well I think people ought to bring their own trolleys if they are wanting to buy soooo much stuff they cant even carry it. and then those trolleys wont end up dumped in the creek.

If shoppers have a baby they can bring their prams in the shop and stow their goods in the pram or stroller, thats fine. Just no trolleys. Hate them.

They probably responsible for the huge obesity epidemic anyway. Plus people would get fit carrying their own purchases, and they would probably buy less. If you can lift a whole sack of rice, more power to you.

T

TheIndianGirl

Umbrellas without the automatic open/close features, especially for the larger umbrellas.

T

TheIndianGirl

? explain?
I thought all umbrellas could open and close...? They dont?
There is a button on the handle which automatically opens and/or closes the umbrella. Otherwise, the umbrella has to be manually opened and closed (push and pull).

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Aldi found a way to fix that problem with shopping carts... er, shopping "trolleys" by putting a quarter slot on each one. When you put a quarter in, it releases the cart so you can use it. When you put the trolley back on its chain, you get your quarter back.

Aldi never has to pay employees to round up their shopping carts and they never have any trouble with their carts winding up in the creek. All that trouble averted for a quarter.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
But this thread is for banning things, so I should really ban something...

Hmm...

I know! I'll ban everybody who automatically solves problems by cutting problematic things out, instead of actually looking for creative ways to solve the problems. That's like curing cancer by shooting every cancer patient. If we cut out everything that came with a problem we wouldn't have anything left to enjoy.

I would also ban electricity, because it can be dangerous. And I'd ban cars because they might hit somebody. And I'd DEFINITELY ban houses, because they are much too expensive for normal people to be owning one.

BrokenSparrow

Sep 12, 2016
Aldi found a way to fix that problem with shopping carts... er, shopping "trolleys" by putting a quarter slot on each one. When you put a quarter in, it releases the cart so you can use it. When you put the trolley back on its chain, you get your quarter back.

Aldi never has to pay employees to round up their shopping carts and they never have any trouble with their carts winding up in the creek. All that trouble averted for a quarter.
I don't know how well that would work in most cases. Not many people are concerned with a quarter nowadays. But if you rounded up several carts you could make a pretty good chunk of change, I suppose.

So maybe it is still an employee who rounds up the carts. Just a way for the employees to make extra cash. If they round up 100 carts that would be 25 bucks so that would be more of an incentive.

BrokenSparrow

Sep 12, 2016
I'm going with cancel culture. There is no need for all that drama.

As long as people are following the law and not infringing on the rights of others, then there is no need for cancel culture.

I want to ban cancel culture. Hope that don't mean I'll be cancelled !?!:p

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
But this thread is for banning things, so I should really ban something...

Hmm...

I know! I'll ban everybody who automatically solves problems by cutting problematic things out, instead of actually looking for creative ways to solve the problems. That's like curing cancer by shooting every cancer patient. If we cut out everything that came with a problem we wouldn't have anything left to enjoy.

I would also ban electricity, because it can be dangerous. And I'd ban cars because they might hit somebody. And I'd DEFINITELY ban houses, because they are much too expensive for normal people to be owning one.
Can you ban bans? I would solve the female-born women losing to male-born women in competitive sports by adding a most natural womb contest to the Olympic?

BrokenSparrow

Sep 12, 2016
Ok you can only go on a power trip in this thread. You must state your reasons for banning the thing you want to ban.

My thing would be to ban shopping trolleys. I wouldnt ban shops, but just the trolleys. Why, well I think people ought to bring their own trolleys if they are wanting to buy soooo much stuff they cant even carry it. and then those trolleys wont end up dumped in the creek.

If shoppers have a baby they can bring their prams in the shop and stow their goods in the pram or stroller, thats fine. Just no trolleys. Hate them.

They probably responsible for the huge obesity epidemic anyway. Plus people would get fit carrying their own purchases, and they would probably buy less. If you can lift a whole sack of rice, more power to you.
This would be terribly inconvenient. Living in the country, most people try to grocery shop for at least a week or two because it can be a fairly decent drive to the local grocery store.

If you had to bring your own cart then that would make it doubly hard. It'd be terrible trying to stuff a cart into the trunk of a car. lol

So I guess, there would be even more people driving trucks in the southern states. :p

Also have you ever tried to carry a bag of potatoes, gallon of milk, container of juice and well most anything else with it. I don't know about you, but it is just not possible for me. I only have two hands and I'm not that physically strong as a woman, either. It would be pretty difficult to make one dinner with the amount of things that I could carry, more less stock up for the week.

Just something to think about before banning shopping carts:unsure:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yeah, it's a lot easier for us single people to get by without a shopping cart. Try having a spouse and kids and go shopping for only what you can carry in your hands... Especially if one of those hands is holding a baby.

BrokenSparrow

Sep 12, 2016
Yeah, it's a lot easier for us single people to get by without a shopping cart. Try having a spouse and kids and go shopping for only what you can carry in your hands... Especially if one of those hands is holding a baby.
That would make for a lot of trips to the grocery store.

It would also probably make a mess, if I tried it.

Literally!

I would try to carry as many things as humanly possible and end up dropping most of them.:oops::giggle:

Mem

Sep 23, 2014

Literally!

I would try to carry as many things as humanly possible and end up dropping most of them.:oops::giggle:
If shopping carts were banned from the earth, someone would eventually reinvent them. And if we didn't have shopping carts, what would hobos use to keep all their stuff in? Gosh, if I ever end up homeless, I sure hope I can find a shopping cart. :unsure:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Literally!

I was in a situation like that once and did indeed drop most of them. I usually would use the little carriers with handles for a few things.

Once when I was single I was in a store and had a bunch of stuff in a cart. To avoid a line I went to a checkout with 10 items or less. Afterwards the cashier said that I should not have done that as it wasn't fair to the other shoppers. I told her that I thought the lane was for 20 items or less. She said, "Nice try, but you had over 50 items".

Even though she was kinda sassy I noticed that she was not wearing a ring on her ring finger of her left hand. That was probably not her only redeeming quality but still, I thought about it and said "Nah".

Scored a few buy one get one's that trip.

BrokenSparrow

Sep 12, 2016
If shopping carts were banned from the earth, someone would eventually reinvent them. And if we didn't have shopping carts, what would hobos use to keep all their stuff in? Gosh, if I ever end up homeless, I sure hope I can find a shopping cart. :unsure:
Yep, you're right. Seems shopping carts were a good invention and can serve many purposes, as well.

I would like to have a personal shopping cart to keep at home in my carport. So when I return from grocery shopping, then I could load all my groceries up and roll them to the door without having to make so many trips. Er...wait...maybe that is taking it too far and being a bit lazy on my part:p

BrokenSparrow

Sep 12, 2016
I was in a situation like that once and did indeed drop most of them. I usually would use the little carriers with handles for a few things.

Once when I was single I was in a store and had a bunch of stuff in a cart. To avoid a line I went to a checkout with 10 items or less. Afterwards the cashier said that I should not have done that as it wasn't fair to the other shoppers. I told her that I thought the lane was for 20 items or less. She said, "Nice try, but you had over 50 items".

Even though she was kinda sassy I noticed that she was not wearing a ring on her ring finger of her left hand. That was probably not her only redeeming quality but still, I thought about it and said "Nah".

Scored a few buy one get one's that trip.
Yep, the carriers are nice for a few things. But they can get pretty heavy too.

It is difficult even for singles to get everything needed for the week without a cart, as well.

So I think the cart was a brilliant invention. But like @Lanolin said some people aren't nice and there are a few that end up in the river.

Cool on the bogo items though. You gotta love that:)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yep, you're right. Seems shopping carts were a good invention and can serve many purposes, as well.

I would like to have a personal shopping cart to keep at home in my carport. So when I return from grocery shopping, then I could load all my groceries up and roll them to the door without having to make so many trips. Er...wait...maybe that is taking it too far and being a bit lazy on my part:p
Funny you should mention that. My wife has her own personal shopping cart. It is in our carport too. She doesn't use it for shopping but uses it sometimes as sort of like a walker. She also uses it like you do, drives home from store, gets the cart and loads it up and rolls it to the door.

We brought it from Florida when we moved to Tennessee late last year.

Years ago, it was left in the parking lot close to her carport in her townhome in Clearwater. She called the store that it was from but they never came to get it. Now it is in our carport in our new home.

Really quite a coincidence that you thought about doing what she has been doing for years. Incredible.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yep, the carriers are nice for a few things. But they can get pretty heavy too.

It is difficult even for singles to get everything needed for the week without a cart, as well.

So I think the cart was a brilliant invention. But like @Lanolin said some people aren't nice and there are a few that end up in the river.

Cool on the bogo items though. You gotta love that:)
Love bogo's. We used to shop at Publix in Florida but the closest one to us in Tennessee is like 60 miles away. Mostly we shop at the local Walmart but they don't have bogos. Shop at a Kroger's too but that is 30 miles away. Don't care too much for our local Shop & Save.