Updated source code for reactions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I know this has been suggested (I read through a few threads b/c I didn't want to duplicate)

but is it really all that hard to change the source code a bit and add more reactions?

There have been a few times were "thankful" comes to mind and I settle on useful (as it is indeed). I would shy away from a Praise reaction, because it feels like it cheapens things a bit...but that has definitely been my sentiment a few times :)

The <3 icon says a lot of things and I know most people use it for Love instead of "friendly" so that one is nice and "on point"

I'm just wondering if the only way you can really say what you mean is to quote them and tell them or post on their wall an emoji with @post #234 in thread "...." ? It seemingly creates a lot more clutter and there are times I settle with the generic "like" for that reason.

Anyway, curious.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I agree.

We need more reaction buttons.

Can we please have one that says, "You're an enormous dolt and I'm surprised you can find your own head in the morning."

Just asking.
:)

Surely Jesus wants us all to better communicate our feelings?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I know this has been suggested (I read through a few threads b/c I didn't want to duplicate)

but is it really all that hard to change the source code a bit and add more reactions?

There have been a few times were "thankful" comes to mind and I settle on useful (as it is indeed). I would shy away from a Praise reaction, because it feels like it cheapens things a bit...but that has definitely been my sentiment a few times :)

The <3 icon says a lot of things and I know most people use it for Love instead of "friendly" so that one is nice and "on point"

I'm just wondering if the only way you can really say what you mean is to quote them and tell them or post on their wall an emoji with @post #234 in thread "...." ? It seemingly creates a lot more clutter and there are times I settle with the generic "like" for that reason.

Anyway, curious.
It's my understanding that the software this site is built on is not very customization friendly. So it may actually not be too easy.
Secondly it amazes me how entitled people are and how they feel their voice (or emoji) is so vitally important.
Here's a tip. If you can't find the perfect emoji, the world won't end. If you don't Express your approval, or disapproval, through the use of predetermined cartoon faces, that user will still go on without you.
Why people feel so entitled to cartoon faces as if it's so vital is beyond me.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
a bit harsh @Subhumanoidal ...it's a way to encourage people without cluttering up the forums with a "yeah I agree" without adding anything else. Kind of like a pat on the back or a "thank you" or even a heartfelt "I love you".

These things add up in person and on the internet when we are having a bad day or that our presence has no effect at all so why bother... Taking the time to write to a person about a particular topic out of concern and care it's always helpful to know that they read it, they are still around...encouragement goes a long way.

Tis a far cry from Facebook or some such. It's not about the reactions, they are just another way to express something without having tons of quotes, when they don't have anything else to add. I don't get my jollies from it, it's just helpful (and biblical) to get feedback from others and that is a unique way to do it.

I for one appreciate it in any case.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
a bit harsh @Subhumanoidal ...it's a way to encourage people without cluttering up the forums with a "yeah I agree" without adding anything else. Kind of like a pat on the back or a "thank you" or even a heartfelt "I love you".

These things add up in person and on the internet when we are having a bad day or that our presence has no effect at all so why bother... Taking the time to write to a person about a particular topic out of concern and care it's always helpful to know that they read it, they are still around...encouragement goes a long way.

Tis a far cry from Facebook or some such. It's not about the reactions, they are just another way to express something without having tons of quotes, when they don't have anything else to add. I don't get my jollies from it, it's just helpful (and biblical) to get feedback from others and that is a unique way to do it.

I for one appreciate it in any case.
I, for one, don't see 'i know this has been requested, and not done, but i'm going to push to get my way regardless' as exactly friendly, either. Neither does the term "but is it really all that hard to change the source code a bit and add more reactions?" sound friendly as it comes across very condescending.
And if anyone thinks a 'heartfelt i love you' comes through an emoji, they're wrong. Emoji's are generic cartoons made to replace words when you can't be bothered to say anything. If it's not worth using your words, then it's not very meaningful, let alone heartfelt.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I, for one, don't see 'i know this has been requested, and not done, but i'm going to push to get my way regardless' as exactly friendly, either. Neither does the term "but is it really all that hard to change the source code a bit and add more reactions?" sound friendly as it comes across very condescending.
And if anyone thinks a 'heartfelt i love you' comes through an emoji, they're wrong. Emoji's are generic cartoons made to replace words when you can't be bothered to say anything. If it's not worth using your words, then it's not very meaningful, let alone heartfelt.
Well just a heads up man, there is always more than one way to read a post.

I was asking if it was the challenge of the source code and then perhaps I would have asked for moer info... perhaps a policy decision. Or perhaps a agreement they had with the supplier of the original source code.

Could they respond? sure. Likely? no. Took me 5 mins to post.

If you really think posting a suggestion is pushing to get my way as if me making one post out of curiosity is that big of a deal I would say you need to rethink things.

I have honestly no clue how you read that through such a negative lens comes across as bashing.

I rethought what I wrote. Can you agree to do the same?

I find it ironic that you even use them tbh dude if you think it's so childish. I've read some useful posts from you in the past that have blessed me. That's my way of saying so, I don't get how you don't see the benefits but alright.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Hopefully we can just let this drop.

Not a major issue with the site, I just saw the suggestion forums and it struck me a few times so I decided to make a thread because I didn't see the harm.

It may not be affecting you what I write but you are affecting me. This was the first thing I saw when I woke up after getting coffee and some sunbathing, So just hit me wrong.

Mostly because I've appreciated your input in the past like I said.

#bygones? @Subhumanoidal

I can't edit previous posts or I would the last lol. That was something I had an issue with when I first joined the site but now I see as a good thing, to be more careful with what I post :p

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
All my posts above were just in good fun.
I don't care how the admins run the forums.

It's fine to make suggestions.

However... I do have this theory....

I do sort of feel like emojis, in any form, are kind of like the precursors of an illiterate society.

I've had teens send me long strings of virtually indecypherable emojis instead of just using sentences.
I'm sitting there thinking, "I have to decipher this nonsense? Are you incapable of constructing English sentences?"

Although I'm joking, I think it's actually an issue.
When people use ONLY abbreviations and "text slang" instead of sentences, and only emojis instead of words... then they are, as a whole, going to LOSE THEIR SKILLS WITH ACTUAL LANGUAGE.

That's a real thing.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I even used an emoji above... so the emoji lovers won't become violent when forced to read actual written words.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
All my posts above were just in good fun.
I don't care how the admins run the forums.

It's fine to make suggestions.

However... I do have this theory....

I do sort of feel like emojis, in any form, are kind of like the precursors of an illiterate society.

I've had teens send me long strings of virtually indecypherable emojis instead of just using sentences.
I'm sitting there thinking, "I have to decipher this nonsense? Are you incapable of constructing English sentences?"

Although I'm joking, I think it's actually an issue.
When people use ONLY abbreviations and "text slang" instead of sentences, and only emojis instead of words... then they are, as a whole, going to LOSE THEIR SKILLS WITH ACTUAL LANGUAGE.

That's a real thing.
I'm not into texts either, especially ones that contain abbreviations. I don't think that I have sent out more than 10 texts in my life. I prefer actual letters and conversation.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I had an issue with sending out texts when they became popular.

I was just like can we call and talk to each other instead? It's a lot more efficient, than sending a question, waiting for a response, asking a follow up...etc etc.

Some people are literally calling "shy". Don't understand it, it's their preference and they couldn't account for my preference.

This is when I was 16. Eventually I was just like...well I guess if that's the way that's the way. I don't understand it...I don't prefer it. It's impractical but it does serve a small purpose when you have a tiny amount of info to relay one way.

"I'll be there in 15 mins"

Or some such.

I'm not opposed to shorthand. ETA is pretty succinct, but amazingly half the people these days don't even know what that means.

LOL is a cancerous string of words that is inside me...hopefully it's benign.

JK, lol, and "ha" are about all I use. Unless Ok or mk counts.

G

Godsgirl83

I can not stand much short hand.
LOL has sort of crept it's way into my vocabulary...... doesn't mean I like it though.
TBH IMO (to be honest in my opinion) it took me a VERY LONG TIME to figure out what you people were saying in the forums and many times I'm still looking at threads going :unsure:
personally, I don't mind emoji's much. I think they can add/help enhance thoughts, and sometimes, some people want to express themselves but don't know how (like I feel your hurt...... would love to give you a hug.......... etc)
they can also help express a tone......... (or not)