URGENT QUESTION FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS: What do YOU Identify AS? (And WHY?)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

I IDENTIFY AS (multiple choice with visible answers; don't forget to tell us why!):

• Total voters

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

It's finally come to this: the whole world is scrambling to identify as this, that, or the other, and the madness and mayhem has FINALLY reached its way here to the CC Singles Forum!

Yup, it's THAT time to boldly declare what YOU personally identify as!!!

And the choices will include... Well, go ahead and have a look at the poll, pick the ones you most closely identify, and then tell us why you chose them.

This thread idea started off as a joke. Lynx has always called himself "Your Friendly Neighborhood Nerd," and he really means it. His specialty is helping people find tech that really suits what they need and are looking for, and helping them find the most efficient way to run it, and I've watched him act as voluntary tech support for multiple people over the years.

He and I have always had this friendly bantering back and forth in which I INSIST that I am a nerd, but he tells me that I am more of a geek (to which I still vehemently protest.)

It's not because labels matter that much to me, but it's because how kids at school labeled me. I now see owning this label I was given as a way of flipping my own experience with bullying on its head, and hopefully for a good cause. Other kids may have called me a nerd in a not-so-nice way, but as an adult, I embrace that label with pride and am happy to encourage and uplift others who have gone through the same thing. I stick with identifying as a Nerd because that's what others called me, and these days I wear that badge proudly, clear and front.

Unfortunately, unlike Lynx, I'm not a "useful" nerd. I'm completely technologically inept, so the most I can do is be that random annoying person who shows up and starts talking randomly about any and every random annoying subject I've been reading or thinking about. Yes, you're welcome. :geek: I never saw myself as a Geek because it wasn't a term that was used at my school.

But enough about ME -- I would like to know about YOU. And this is not in any way, shape, or form, trying to belittle the pain anyone has gone through by being given these labels. Rather, it's a way, if it's possible, and if the people who'd like to participate are ready, to face those labels head on and see what good we can bring about from them, such as helping others with our stories.

Here's what I'm hoping people will do:

* Please choose what labels you identify with in the poll -- the poll-making feature only offers a certain amount of answers so feel free to add any that aren't included in the list. Tell us what you identify as in the post. You can choose as many answers as you like, but just for fun, I've decided to make this poll public (so you can see who identifies as what.)

* After making your choices (or just being nosy and seeing what other people chose, lol,) come back to the thread and tell us your own definition of the label(s) you've chosen. For instance, what makes a nerd a nerd, and what makes a geek a geek?

* Did you agree with the label you were given? Why or why not? If you were one of the popular people, was it all they say it's cracked up to be? What did you like or not like about how people saw you?

* What do you see yourself as now, being a child of God?

* I realize this thread won't be all fun and games for a lot of people. If you feel comfortable, tell us about your struggles and experiences -- you're definitely not alone -- and we can lift each other up and pray for each other.

Believe me, back in school, I didn't really fit in, and being a nerd was definitely NOT a positive thing -- even in a "Christian" atmosphere -- but as I've grown older, I've learned to take those negative things and most definitely try to turn them into something positive.

How about you?

What's YOUR story?

J

JAPOV

I think this thread would be more fun if we were allowed to label "volunteers" ;)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I think this thread would be more fun if we were allowed to label "volunteers" ;)
Do you mean asking for people to volunteer, then everyone else giving them a label?

That's actually the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in this thread, seeing as the very premise is based on taking labels others have given us in our past, for the good or bad, and learning to either shake them off or own them for ourselves.

That's actually the point. I don't let others define me so much anymore -- I'm more about finding what God defines me as for myself.

Your idea would be interesting though! How would you prevent it from turning ugly?

Why not use our ideas to write a thread and see how it goes?

If you want to include a poll and aren't sure how, I can talk you through it.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
My personal suggestion for anyone who would like to see something particular in a thread or want it to go a certain way would be to just try writing out your ideas in the form of a thread for yourself!

You might find that you like the discussions you're able to start, and if nothing else, you'll start to see the forums in a new light.

Truthfully, I was petrified to start writing my own threads, but I finally tried -- back in 2009 -- and all I've ever done since then was try.

Give it a whirl! It's always a treat to see new people writing threads here.

You might find that it becomes a new hobby, and you'll meet a ton of people. :)

J

JAPOV

Why not let the door swing both ways? (no pun intended)
You see, there's who I know that I am, and of course I'm comfortable with that lol... But, I have no idea what my "online" presence may be. That could turn out to be some very useful information ;)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Why not let the door swing both ways? (no pun intended)
You see, there's who I know that I am, and of course I'm comfortable with that lol... But, I have no idea what my "online" presence may be. That could turn out to be some very useful information ;)
See, you have a perfect topic for your very own thread.

Ask people about what their online perception is of you, or others, vs. how you (and/or others) perceive themselves!

This is just my own experience, but what I've found is that when too many ideas get crammed into one thread, it kind of just bloats itself up in too many directions and goes dead in the water.

Ideas are usually played out much better and more thoroughly discussed when they are broken into sub-topics that get turned into separate threads.

Problem is, too few people ever write the threads that start them.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
Im a fluffy ,freckled, nerdy, dorky, silly somethinganother :)

O

Oblio

I am what I am, a child of the great I Am
By the blood of the Lamb, the Lamb who was slain
I'm precious in His sight, the apple of His eye
I am fearfully and wonderfully made -tc

"5You hem me in behind and before; You have laid Your hand upon me. 6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. 7Where can I go to escape Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence?…" - Psalm 139:5-7

Apr 12, 2022
"Other"

I think I'm very average, so not great at much but okay at a lot.

I've learned not to look at my reflection for very long, not that I've seen anything that would tempt me as in the myth of Narcissus. :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I would love to identify as retired... But my wallet is terribly narrow-minded.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I was watching the story of Nikocado Avocado, the former 150 lb. vegan who is now well over 300 lbs. due to a quest for internet fame and fortune via 10,000 calorie mukbangs.

The merch collection he sells includes a t-shirt that declares, "I Identify As Skinny."

jennymae

Feb 28, 2020
I’d have to say that I identify as the annoying little sister, still.😎

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
As a teen I labeled myself a metal head. As an adult I still do.

I was never really labeled anything by others in any sort of consistent way.
As a teen, where I think people are most likely to be labeled, I confused people too much for them to try to label me.
I was a Christian and a metal head, and especially in the 90s, those two things were typically seen as polar opposites. So people didn't really know what to think of me or how to label me. So they just didn't bother with me haha.
That goes for both church and school.

O

Oblio

I identify as the last-post winner! Yeah!
1649886979608.png