Warnings about Contemporary Praise Music by David Cloud

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jullianna

God bless you for being a gentleman, Gabe, but you are clearly wasting your time. You, of all people, recognize a bully when you see one. There are few things that get me riled up. Bullying is one of them.

I wish that private matter could have remained private. How tragic. But as long as he leaves people alone, that's all that matters I guess, so some good can come of it. Let's just let it go. Hugs :)

Aug 2, 2009
God bless you for being a gentleman, Gabe, but you are clearly wasting your time. You, of all people, recognize a bully when you see one. There are few things that get me riled up. Bullying is one of them.

I wish that private matter could have remained private. How tragic. But as long as he leaves people alone, that's all that matters I guess, so some good can come of it. Let's just let it go. Hugs :)
Ok, but I really do think he's either delusional or a drama queen. I don't really sense a bullying vibe from him, but if you do then thats good enough for me.

Last edited:
G

GuyforChrist85

Why, yes, yes it is the singles forum!! Why, yes, you're right! HE was single. ;)

As long as it's here we might as well PRAISE THE LORD!!!! :D

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7qi2KlUffs[/video]
I absolutely LOVE this song, it puts me in a great mood! Thanks Jullianna!

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Lol if this guy is a bully im a little disappointed, i thought he would have been better at it...

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I listened to a few minutes of it. It's nothing more than legalistic propaganda. That nonsense is not worth my time.

F

feedm3

LOL WUT????????????

You sir, are either...

1)
completely delusional - in which case I feel sorry for you

or

2)
some sort of drama queen from hell - in which case I also feel sorry for you

If you really think the mods are going to see things your way you are sadly mistaken.

She happens to be friends with most of the mods here, and deservedly so.
You, on the other hand... well lets just say that you will certainly become a focus of their attention. ;)

Dude your are either:

1. completely incapable of comprehension, (in which case I feel sorry for you

Or

2. Just a busy body - which I don't feel sorry for.

I could cares less about whining to the mods, that was my point. I am not the one whining to them, she is. And also trying to make it as if "a married man is harassing her". So what are you talking about?

so what do I do, allow her to go lie to them, without showing them the truth? I am glad "they have it all" that should tell you something.

It's bad enough women use this thing in the work place to get men fired, but a christian, on a christian site???? Does she really think I was "provocative" in the singles form?

"drama queen"? Because I don't let people lie about me? Do you? Are you bored?

Lol, all this is because I dont use instruments in my worship, and look at all you pharisees, who are mad, and yet cannot show one passage in the NT for why you use them and are mad because I will not accept your traditions. - Matt 15:9

I know you will all say, "we dont care what you do", if true, then why are we here disccusing it?

Make a valid argument, show support, be consistent, or dont get mad when People don't believe what your man made traditions are okay, lol.

F

feedm3

I wish that private matter could have remained private. How tragic. But as long as he leaves people alone, that's all that matters I guess, so some good can come of it. Let's just let it go. Hugs
You cant stop contradicting yourself. You replayed to me privately to tell me not private message you. Now your saying you wish it could have remained private? I tried that, and you turned into a married man harrasing you, remember?

As long "as he leaves people alone". Who commented about who first? Who said something untrue about the other?

Just because you have the music choir patting your head because they hate others who dont believe what they do, don't feel your fooling everyone, some will happily be fooled just so they can team up one who CAN show authority from Scripture for what he does. So carry on.

When personal attacks is all you people have, then we know their is no argument left in any of you who do so. This does NOT apply to all I have spoken with, some do respect others here.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
we use because the whole bible is useful to christians not just the NT. So we dont follow mosaic law anymore, thats fine, it doesnt negate over half of the bible.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
Do not "Feed" the Trolls....

I'm only getting involved because someone said "You people" since the lot of you are my people I take minor offense to this.

There has been plenty of scriptural references of people singing with and without instruments. Like Miriam with a Tambourine in her hand (Ex 15:20).... Like David's Harp. (clearly this has done nothing to make the the trolls go away)

Ephesians 5:19 declares, "speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord." The phrase "making melody" comes from the Greek word "psallontes" which means "to rub or touch," "to twitch or twang." It was commonly used in Greek to refer to playing a stringed musical instrument.

Since this is clearly not enough to stop a Troll, the Bible neither forbids or commands the use of musical instruments in church. Therefore, the church has freedom to use them if it feels led of God to do so. So... instead of making some black-and-white blanket statement to have or to not have, it is for our discretion to discern whether or not such a thing is edifying or detracting from Praise and or Worship.

It is not for me to say what YOU can and cannot do based upon the absence of evidence shown to support one conclusion or the other.

F

feedm3

Do not "Feed" the Trolls....

I'm only getting involved because someone said "You people" since the lot of you are my people I take minor offense to this.

If referring to me, I also said this does not apply to all, but if it's ignored that fine.

There has been plenty of scriptural references of people singing with and without instruments. Like Miriam with a Tambourine in her hand (Ex 15:20).... Like David's Harp. (clearly this has done nothing to make the the trolls go away)

First off, if one beleives he is under the NT, and bleieves we cannot get authority from what the NT does NOT say, but from what it does, that does not make them a troll. Only a troll would think so.

Ephesians 5:19 declares, "speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord." The phrase "making melody" comes from the Greek word "psallontes" which means "to rub or touch," "to twitch or twang." It was commonly used in Greek to refer to playing a stringed musical instrument.

Yes, it may be used to "pluck and instrument" or a "hair" or a "carpenters line", so it depends on the context as to what is being "plucked".

In Eph the context says "the heart" so literllly means plucking the strings of our hearts, a spiritual worship - Jn 3.

It is the same for every time the NT mentions singing, Never does it have reference to playing. It is always vocal.
The OT did use strings, of course the OT was a shadow of the NT, the physical things, symbolized the spiritual - Col 2:14-f, Heb 10:1-f.

The fact that it is said, plucking the heart, is actually more reason for me to do so, and not anything else.

Since this is clearly not enough to stop a Troll, the Bible neither forbids or commands the use of musical instruments in church

Again, only a troll uses this argument. The Bible does not forbid many things. It does not forbid anyone from smoking crack, it does not forbid me from replacing the Lord's supper with Oreos and milk, so does this mean I can? If not why not?

I just had this disccussion a page or so back, it seems to be the only argument you all have. If you go back and read, maybe it will save you time bringing up revelation as well, I refuted that one, and it was ignored by a guy who accuses me of ignoring. Then says it's okay to sacrifice animals still. Do you think so too?

. Therefore, the church has freedom to use them if it feels led of God to do so. So... instead of making some black-and-white blanket statement to have or to not have, it is for our discretion to discern whether or not such a thing is edifying or detracting from Praise and or Worship.
First, just because you cannot find it forbade, you feel it is okay? What about the milk and cookies then?

Second, is it wrong for me NOT to use instruments? Do I have to?

I ask that because everyone here seems to get mad if I don't accept the use of instruments. Do I have to? Do we all have to accept each others views? Can I not disagree?

Aug 2, 2009

Dude your are either:

1. completely incapable of comprehension, (in which case I feel sorry for you

Or

2. Just a busy body - which I don't feel sorry for.

I could cares less about whining to the mods, that was my point. I am not the one whining to them, she is. And also trying to make it as if "a married man is harassing her". So what are you talking about?

so what do I do, allow her to go lie to them, without showing them the truth? I am glad "they have it all" that should tell you something.

It's bad enough women use this thing in the work place to get men fired, but a christian, on a christian site???? Does she really think I was "provocative" in the singles form?

"drama queen"? Because I don't let people lie about me? Do you? Are you bored?

Lol, all this is because I dont use instruments in my worship, and look at all you pharisees, who are mad, and yet cannot show one passage in the NT for why you use them and are mad because I will not accept your traditions. - Matt 15:9

I know you will all say, "we dont care what you do", if true, then why are we here disccusing it?

Make a valid argument, show support, be consistent, or dont get mad when People don't believe what your man made traditions are okay, lol.

Ok then. Drama queen it is!

Yes, you can all call me Captain Obvious after this. ;)

Oh and I almost forgot -Congratulations! You've been reported. :) Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Awesome job Zero...im sorry i meant Captain Obvious

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
And you took the whole sacrificing animals thing way too far. I said one could if they wanted. I mean there is literally nothing stopping me from going to a farm find a goat and sacrificing it. Will it do any good at all, nope it will just the pointless butchering of an animal. But that doesn't mean it cant be done. And your question can you still sacrifice animals, which the only logical answer is yes we can. We don't but we can. Simple logic clearly flies over your head. Let me guess you're going to tell me logic wasn't in the NT so you don't believe in using it?

F

feedm3

Rom 15:9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name

I Cor 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also

Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord

Heb 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee

James 5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms

This is all the authority I need for NOT using instruments. The only command and mention is always without them. There is the exception of harps in Revelation, yet the entire context it's in, is all figurative.

Sure none of the these say "do not use instruments", yet does it have to?

When God told Noah, "build the an ark out of gopher wood" did he have to speacifcaaly tell Noah all the woods he could not use?

No, the commad excluded all other woods, just as the command to sing, excludes everthing else.

You dont have to believe it, you dont have to accept what I teach, yet I have my reasons.

17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him

"do all in the name of" means do all "by the authority of".

So we are to do in "WORD" what we teach and speak - by the authority of Christ

And "IN DEED" what we DO, and "practice", sense I cannot find authority for instruments in worship (besides the voice) I will not do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

feedm3

Ok then. Drama queen it is!

Yes, you can all call me Captain Obvious after this. ;)

Oh and I almost forgot -Congratulations! You've been reported. :) Have a nice day.
Okay then, kiss up. I am sorry your mad because you cant prove anything. You can report me all you want, I haven't done anything wrong, defiantly nothing you all have not done or said to me while your all ganging up in your little hate group.

Report what you want, If your going to be a tattle tale, make sure you have something to tell.

"you've been reported" lol lolool, in other words "i told on you cuz you wont believe what i do" *stomps foot*

F

feedm3

And you took the whole sacrificing animals thing way too far. I said one could if they wanted. I mean there is literally nothing stopping me from going to a farm find a goat and sacrificing it. Will it do any good at all, nope it will just the pointless butchering of an animal.
Yes man, it is pointless. Yet that is not what I am talking about. Why did they sacrifice animals in the OT? It was for their sins until the blood of Christ was shed.

If one today sacrifices and animal, for his sins, by doing so he is denying the blood of Christ, the perfect sacrifice, and sinning by doing so. This is pretty much the point of the entire book of Hebrews.

But that doesn't mean it cant be done. And your question can you still sacrifice animals, which the only logical answer is yes we can.
We can also shoot people in the head. It's not a question of are we able, but is is okay? You know that, you trying to back peddle your way out of the coner your in.

So if we are discussing the Bible. I ask you if it's okay (not if we are able) to sacrifice animals, and you say sure. Then logically your saying it's fine for us to bring a goat to worship, and sacrifice him, because you see it as pointless. Yet this would be sinful. You ought to know that.

So the question is not what we are able to do, it's a matter of what is okay to do under the NT. NO sacrificing animals is NOT okay. But at least your trying to be consistent, but if that forced me to say what your saying, I would revise my view.

We don't but we can. Simple logic clearly flies over your head. Let me guess you're going to tell me logic wasn't in the NT so you don't believe in using it?
What logic, your avoiding it, trying to change the question to an "are we able", when it was a question of "is it okay", so try that on someone else, it's not working

1still_waters

This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.