Water Baptism-What Does God's Word Say?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have heard this claim before about the connection between ritual (ceremonial) washing and baptism.
That scripture does nothing for me in terms of connecting the two.
Other than both being a ceremony that involves water, I see no connection.
And it seems that someone that took that position would be more in favor of sprinkling than immersion.
I was baptized as an infant by sprinkling but that doesn't count. Being baptized by fire and the Holy Spirit holds the deeper true meaning to me. In my opinion water baptism, while being a public acknowledgement of accepting the Lord, is symbolic, while being baptized by fire and the Holy Spirit is real and alive and a manifestation of salvation.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
You just did what you judged me of doing, you interpreted using your own thinking

You need to think

In the book of Colossians, paul was talking about a spiritual circumcision done by the hand of God not the hand of men, God accomplished this spiritual circumcision by buring us in baptism and raising us to new life.

So paul would be contradicting himself saying this baptism which accomplishes the spiritual circumcision done by the hands of God not men, is really done by the hand of men in a physical baptism

It is not my thinking which i come up with what baptism is spoken of, it is also using the text itself and the rules of language (in the case of romans 6) where you have baptism being interpreted as baptise in water, so literally interpreting the passage in your belief, i would see,

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were (baptized in water) into Jesus Christ were (baptized in water )into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by (baptism in water) into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

You see how again, your interpretation does not fit, because you can not add water in the passage, thus one must conclude we are actually being baptized literally into the christ and his death not water. (Which fits the defenition of the greek word transliterated not translated into the english text)

You can use strongs all you want, just because it can mean something does not mean it does, in niether of these passages is the physical act of being baptized into water by the hands of men in context.
I used the context of the chapter.
The Word will always confirm itself by 2 or 3 witnesses. (Matthew 18:16)
God created the Spiritual rebirth process. We are responsible to obey His command to be water baptized and receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Our obedience to His commands proves our indwelling faith.

E

eternally-gratefull

I used the context of the chapter.
The Word will always confirm itself by 2 or 3 witnesses. (Matthew 18:16)
God created the Spiritual rebirth process. We are responsible to obey His command to be water baptized and receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Our obedience to His commands proves our indwelling faith.
Whatever, i proved my point,

Believe what you want. I can not believe the way you believe

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I have identified at least five kinds of tongues.
Unfortunately (for you) there is only spiritual gift of tongues (supernatural speaking of foreign languages unknown to the speaker), and what Scriptures says is that it glorifies or magnifies God, while addressing God.

...Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues [languages] the wonderful works of God. (Acts 2:11)

...For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God... (Acts 10:46)

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God... howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. (1 Cor 14:2)

...Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not... (1 Cor 14:22)

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Unfortunately (for you) there is only spiritual gift of tongues (supernatural speaking of foreign languages unknown to the speaker), and what Scriptures says is that it glorifies or magnifies God, while addressing God.

...Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues [languages] the wonderful works of God. (Acts 2:11)

...For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God... (Acts 10:46)

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God... howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. (1 Cor 14:2)

...Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not... (1 Cor 14:22)
So, you speak in tongues?

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
So, you speak in tongues?
Speaking in tongues is not the only gift. Their is also interpretation, discernment, wisdom, the word of (untaught) knowledge, healing etc. Not all receives a gift and not everybody receives the same gift either. The greatest is love.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
The Prophet John the Baptist and His message:

Prior to John’s conception, which was miraculous in itself, an angel told his father Zacharias that his son would be:

Great in the sight of the Lord.
He would turn the Jews to the Lord their God.
He would make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;” Luke 1:67-69

John’s name was of utmost importance it spoke of a wonderful truth:

An angel told his father his son’s name would be John.

Due to his unbelief in the angel’s message he was struck dumb and was unable to speak until the day his son was circumcised.

When they came to circumcise baby John they called his name Zacharias, meaning the Lord has remembered, but his mother intervened and said not so, his name is John. Those present thought it odd because they had no family members with the name John. Normally babies were named after a family member. They questioned Zacharias and he wrote “His name is John,” on a tablet. Immediately Zacharias’ tongue was loosed.

The name John means God graciously gives. Ask yourself what God-given message was professed by John the Baptist; faith in the coming messiah, Jesus Christ and water baptism.

Consider, also, the following words spoken to Zacharias about his son:

“And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;

To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.´ Luke 1:76-79

John begins preaching about the coming messiah who will take away the sins of the world and water baptism for remission of those sins:

The Word of God came unto John the Baptist while he was in the wilderness. Notice John’s message was preached to those in the wilderness. The wilderness symbolizes the natural world wherein is spiritual darkness. Luke 3:2

John began preaching the need for water baptism for the remission of sin. (1st time remission of sin connected to water baptism) Luke 3:3 One sees the continuation of the message that sins are remitted in water baptism in Acts 2:38.

After Jesus secured salvation through His death, burial, and resurrection, all of mankind must step out in faith and get water baptized into the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins.
why does matthew 28:19-20 say Father,Son,Holy Spirit instead of Jesus name? or my name?

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
why does matthew 28:19-20 say Father,Son,Holy Spirit instead of Jesus name? or my name?
You're right. That's what Jesus said. And it's in the Greek, so they can't blame the translators.

Mar 28, 2016
No. It is specifically and carefully stated as the three persons of the Trinity.
It can be stated but it is still the same one author of one God who is represented as three by some . Today two works best for myself

At the name of Jesus men will bow and in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit ( the father and Son's mutual Spirit) it is saying the same thing. God is one. The idea of a Trinity is a oral tradition of men .

Mar 28, 2016

Do you believe the doctrine of tongues (God mocking those who mock Him) is founded in Isaiah 28?

Do you think drinking poison and it does not harm is a sign someone has believed and therefore received the Holy Spirit? Or is poison for the more mature?

What does the metaphor drink poison represent if not false prophecy will not harm them ?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
It can be stated but it is still the same one author of one God who is represented as three by some . Today two works best for myself

At the name of Jesus men will bow and in the name of the Father Son and Holy Spirit ( the father and Son's mutual Spirit) it is saying the same thing. God is one. The idea of a Trinity is a oral tradition of men .
Watch yerself garee, you are not playing well with the Catholics. :eek: giggle.gif

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Read Isaiah 9:6, it will bless your understanding.
That's an interesting comment.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Jesus is the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost:
Surely Jesus meant for His singular name to be used. The words Father, Son and Holy Ghost are titles. The apostles would never have completed water baptisms other than the way Jesus instructed them:

I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.” John 5:43 (Father)

“O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.” John 17:25-26

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26 (Holy Ghost)

Water baptism is a deed. Notice what the following scripture states:
“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” Colossians 3:17 (Son)

As the bible clearly emphasizes there is power in the name of Jesus! Why is there objection to water baptizing in the name of Jesus when His name is used after saying prayers, using it to heal the sick, cast out demons, etc.?

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
You're right. That's what Jesus said. And it's in the Greek, so they can't blame the translators.
Jesus said "to baptize in the name of..." What is the name?

Father, Son and Holy Ghost are titles not a name.