Welcome to the Official CC Valentine's B.Y.O.V. Thread! (B.e Y.our O.wn V.alentine!!)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What Things Would YOU Enjoy Doing On BYOV (Be Your Own Valentine) Day?

• Total voters

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi Everyone!

This thread is dedicated to the lovely @Poinsetta, who specifically suggested this topic. To be honest, I hadn't even thought about Valentine's Day coming up (that's how hopeful I am about the future :ROFL:) but am glad she suggested this because as I started to pray for ideas, I could definitely see the potential to have some fun! :geek: (Or was that trouble... :unsure: Sorry, I get the two confused.) :p

And so, on with the show!

Right now it's that infamous time of year when scores of barely noticeable, extremely SUBTLE displays like these pop up in every local store. Maybe it's just me, but each one seems to shout, "YOU ARE SINGLE AND NEED A BIG COMMERCIAL HOLIDAY AS A REMINDER!!" at every turn.

Wow, I'm glad they really work hard at making these messages BLEND right into the background because I REALLY had to make an effort to see read these signs!

To some, displays like this might seem fun and whimsical, garish and annoying, or just another wheel in the cycle of endless consumerism.

But to many singles, annual tornadoes endless of red, pink, and white merchandise aren't saying, "I Love You," no matter how many times it's repeated.

Rather, what many singles see (at least, this is how I often feel,) are glaring reminders that, "You are inadequate. You are below someone's standards. You are unwanted. And most of all, you are alone." I know this definitely isn't how we are supposed" to feel ("You are a Christian!" "You are blessed!" "You are loved!") but we all have times of falling victim to the churning waves of sadness and loneliness.

Now... Let's just see if we can turn this sinking ship around (not that it would do any good -- we'd just sink in the OTHER direction,) but hey, maybe we can have a a few laughs while we're all adrift.

Hmm. Is there such thing as a Valentine's Grinch? If not, let's make one up, because I say it's time we take Valentine's Day into our own hands and make it an official B.Y.O.V. (Be Your Own Valentine) Day instead!!! For those of us who don't have a special someone (or those who do but can't spend the day with them,) let's make our own day of celebration.

What kinds of things would YOU enjoy doing, even if it IS just by yourself, on Valentine's Day?

I'll now ask you to head on over to the poll to look over a few HUMBLE suggestions.

The poll only allows for, I think 10 answers, but I'm going to try to utilize them all, then ask for people to add their own suggestions in their posts. You can choose as many as you like, and just for fun, I'm going to make the answers visible so we can see who picked what (you never know, some people just might find our Valentine Soul Mate that way!) :LOL::love::cool:

Married friends are welcome to answer too -- if you had the day just to yourself, what would yo

And for all who answer, please don't just answer the poll! :) If you have time, tell us why you chose what you did, and what you would add or subtract to the list!

Here's to M.V.D.F.A.!!! (Make Valetine's Day Fun Again!!)

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
Personally, I enjoy Valentine's Day! I have never in my life celebrated Valentine's Day with a person I've been in a relationship with. However, that hasn't stopped me at all from enjoying the holiday.

I remember in high school seeing girls actually carrying signs in the hallway stating their disgruntlement of Valentine's Day. These were girls with boyfriends, so I guess they didn't receive any flowers or what-have-you. In my adult years, women still don't seem that keen on the holiday. Except me. I find it enjoyable! I've often taken myself to the movies. I used to be a big horror movie fan. What better movie genre for Valentine's Day? I am not sure how many horror movies I've taken myself out to see, including My Bloody Valentine (which didn't come out on Valentine's Day). Sometimes I go with a gal pal. One year I went out to lunch with my best gal pal at my fave Mongolian restaurant. Later in the evening I went with another gal pal to see the remake of Friday the 13th (let me tell ya', the My Bloody Valentine remake was much better). Some years, I've decided to order pizza and watch a movie of my choosing at home by myself. This year my best gal pal and I are celebrating soon at the nearby steakhouse. If single, take yourself or your pal out and enjoy life.

I am in no way discouraging couples and romance on Valentine's Day. I'm a big romantic at heart! But, I also don't think we should be unhappy. Single? Be happy! Not single? Be happy! Or at least try.

I don't want to be one of those people who is carrying a sign of disgruntlement down the hallway...and certainly not for the rest of my life. When/if I end up in the nursing home, I'm still going to celebrate the day!

That being said, I would advise maybe going out the day before or day after, the theaters and restaurants are absolute madness on Valentine's Day! And don't buy yourself flowers leading up to Valentine's Day if you're on a budget, the prices are way more (I used to work in retail).

Love the topic and humor!

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021
I really should grill something ... for me! 😊

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Oh dear, I'm more boring than I thought. I didn't select anything on that poll. I'd rather stay home and play Fallout 4, like I always do.

Although if there was a really good restaurant nearby, I would like to go there. Maybe a sushi buffet or a Cheesecake Factory restaurant. Does it count if I would go to one of those, but none are in easy reach?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Rather, what many singles see (at least, this is how I often feel,) are glaring reminders that, "You are inadequate. You are below someone's standards. You are unwanted. And most of all, you are alone." I know this definitely isn't how we are supposed" to feel ("You are a Christian!" "You are blessed!" "You are loved!") but we all have times of falling victim to the churning waves of sadness and loneliness.
I dunno... I just don't see it. I see a lot of capitalizing on couples, pressuring them into buying junk for each other, but I can't see it as anything directed at single people. I see valentine's day, or at least the commercial aspect of it, as a tax on romance. I, as a single person, am blissfully exempt from this tax.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
This thread title reminds me of a song... Of course it does. What does NOT remind me of a song?

I can buy myself flowers
Write my name in the sand
Talk to myself for hours
Say things you don't understand
I can take myself dancing
I can hold my own hand
I can love me better than you can

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
my mom and i went to the 99 cents store and bought some candy and candy bags for the girls (we also found out it’s more of a girl’s holiday since there was nothing for boys)

anyway i found myself a Valentine’s tumblr cup 🌸🌸❤️

Talljake

Jul 17, 2022
Well seeing valentine's day is on a Wednesday, I'll be in church. So I'd say I'm going to spend it at the lord's house 😊

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I'm not really phased by it when single. Maybe a little when I was younger, but not really now.
I find it more difficult to deal with when dating. If dating someone I want to take it (and their birthday and even Xmas) behind the day to day things I may say or do.
Unfortunately I'm not good at figuring such things out. And I'm not a fan of looking up ideas as I'd rather it come from me, even if it's not original.
The same applies to gifts. My gf is great at buying gifts for me. She'll secretly pick up on me mentioning things I like, just during regular conversations, then pick it out in just my style/taste. Wish I was able to do the same for her.
So, yeah, it's harder for me when dating than single.

Far as what I would do for myself if single, nothing. I barely even register the holiday. Though, truth be told, I tend to do that with most holidays and birthdays, even important ones. 😇

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Well I've got pig hearts to cook up so that's valentine's dinner, and Wednesdays have been when we've had prayer team meetings so I'll either be there or home watching TV or playing games.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Well I've got pig hearts to cook up so that's valentine's dinner, and Wednesdays have been when we've had prayer team meetings so I'll either be there or home watching TV or playing games.
When someone tells Cinder to "Have a heart," she ain't messin' around. o_O:cool::whistle:

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
I don't really celebrate it except get some chocolate or maybe do take-out/order in.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
I dont think I am doing anything special so it would just be come home, go for a walk, eat and watch TV and go on the computer, then sleep.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
Same thing I always do. Come home, cook dinner, join some of my other single friends in a voice chat while they play whatever the newest game they like is and chat a while.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Same thing I always do. Come home, cook dinner, join some of my other single friends in a voice chat while they play whatever the newest game they like is and chat a while.
Nerd reflex: what chat client do y'all use? Ventrilo? Skype?

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Hi Everyone!

This thread is dedicated to the lovely @Poinsetta, who specifically suggested this topic. To be honest, I hadn't even thought about Valentine's Day coming up (that's how hopeful I am about the future :ROFL:) but am glad she suggested this because as I started to pray for ideas, I could definitely see the potential to have some fun! :geek: (Or was that trouble... :unsure: Sorry, I get the two confused.) :p

And so, on with the show!

Right now it's that infamous time of year when scores of barely noticeable, extremely SUBTLE displays like these pop up in every local store. Maybe it's just me, but each one seems to shout, "YOU ARE SINGLE AND NEED A BIG COMMERCIAL HOLIDAY AS A REMINDER!!" at every turn.

Wow, I'm glad they really work hard at making these messages BLEND right into the background because I REALLY had to make an effort to see read these signs!

To some, displays like this might seem fun and whimsical, garish and annoying, or just another wheel in the cycle of endless consumerism.

But to many singles, annual tornadoes endless of red, pink, and white merchandise aren't saying, "I Love You," no matter how many times it's repeated.

Now... Let's just see if we can turn this sinking ship around (not that it would do any good -- we'd just sink in the OTHER direction,) but hey, maybe we can have a a few laughs while we're all adrift.

Hmm. Is there such thing as a Valentine's Grinch? If not, let's make one up, because I say it's time we take Valentine's Day into our own hands and make it an official B.Y.O.V. (Be Your Own Valentine) Day instead!!! For those of us who don't have a special someone (or those who do but can't spend the day with them,) let's make our own day of celebration.

What kinds of things would YOU enjoy doing, even if it IS just by yourself, on Valentine's Day?

I'll now ask you to head on over to the poll to look over a few HUMBLE suggestions.

The poll only allows for, I think 10 answers, but I'm going to try to utilize them all, then ask for people to add their own suggestions in their posts. You can choose as many as you like, and just for fun, I'm going to make the answers visible so we can see who picked what (you never know, some people just might find our Valentine Soul Mate that way!) :LOL::love::cool:

Married friends are welcome to answer too -- if you had the day just to yourself, what would yo

And for all who answer, please don't just answer the poll! :) If you have time, tell us why you chose what you did, and what you would add or subtract to the list!

Here's to M.V.D.F.A.!!! (Make Valetine's Day Fun Again!!)
V-Day means nothing to me. I have no one to share it with, and so it's another day to work, watch TV and do laundry.