Welcome to the Official CC Valentine's B.Y.O.V. Thread! (B.e Y.our O.wn V.alentine!!)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What Things Would YOU Enjoy Doing On BYOV (Be Your Own Valentine) Day?

• Total voters

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Expensive candy day
Which contrasts with February 15, which is cheap candy day.

Never mind the fact that the stuff that goes on sale February 15 was cheap candy before the 15th....

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Which contrasts with February 15, which is cheap candy day.

Never mind the fact that the stuff that goes on sale February 15 was cheap candy before the 15th....
Yeah. I don't bother anymore.

I used to find some great candy on sale February 15th. But now they don't even bother making anything good. They know guys will buy any old junk because they have to, or they'll get in trouble. So the manufacturers just make junk these days.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
At the moment we have half of the stores filled with valentine stuff and the other easter eggs and hot cross buns.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
At the moment we have half of the stores filled with valentine stuff and the other easter eggs and hot cross buns.
Hot cross buns I only know from the old children's rhyme... that children I know don't know anything about.

What are real hot cross buns like?

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
Hot cross buns I only know from the old children's rhyme... that children I know don't know anything about.

What are real hot cross buns like?
Dont you call them hot cross buns there??

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
Hubby is on call for work, so we aren’t doing anything. Even if he wasn’t on call, we would just stay home because our toddler goes to bed between 6:30-7 pm lol.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
One year, I got my friends their fave candy and gave each one a pin that said, “I am loved.”

I didn’t get anything from them. Bums! lol

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
I remember in high school seeing girls actually carrying signs in the hallway stating their disgruntlement of Valentine's Day. These were girls with boyfriends, so I guess they didn't receive any flowers or what-have-you.
You'll have to forgive me, I'm a bit of an armchair social scientist. I know you might not remember, but you have me curious. Do you remember what the signs said? Did they carry signs the day after V-day if they didn't get anything from their BFs? Was a joke? Or were they serious? This was like a peer pressure to get BFs to buy them gifts?

In my high school some students created this Valentines Day event where this group would go into the classrooms and give someone a V-day card or flower for you. I think some were secret and you could find out who it was. This was during a period of class. I was a little surprised the school administration supported it. Students could opt out of it if they didn't want to receive anything. I think I remember a girl who opted out, cause it would be too embarrassing.

I generally supported it because I knew it could be difficult to contact a student you were interested in (2,000 students). Obviously, you'd want to catch a student in the hall in the short time between classes, but there were some large distances, among other impediments. Of course, that would be something most students would want to keep private, but compared to nothing, might be worth it.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I just remembered a long time ago, I bought a dozen roses from my church's youth group fundraiser and passed them out individually to single people at work.

It seemed a good combination -- supporting a good cause and recognizing people who might otherwise feel forgotten.

Of course, what would a plan be if something didn't go a little astray... :LOL:

I specifically handed the roses out to those I knew were single and not dating (fortunately I had just enough,) so when one girl was playfully denied because we all knew she had a boyfriend, she started proclaiming, rather loudly, "WOW SEOUL. I DIDN'T KNOW VALENTINE'S DAY WAS ABOUT DISCRIMINATION!"

And she kept on me about that for the rest of the day, lol. "GEE SEOUL, I SURE WISH SOMEONE HAD GIVEN ME A ROSE!!" I told her she'd better tell her boyfriend to step it up! :ROFL:

And the fact that she kept saying it was discrimination, with her and I were both being members of minority races -- well, it just made it even funnier (to me, at least!) :cool:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hmm...

I see from the poll that so far, it's only @CarriePie and myself who plan to light up the day -- by setting things on fire. :D

Don't worry, CarriePie -- I make a pretty good minion/henchman, and it's great to find another partner in (legal-ish) crime. :p

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
Hmm...

I see from the poll that so far, it's only @CarriePie and myself who plan to light up the day -- by setting things on fire. :D

Don't worry, CarriePie -- I make a pretty good minion/henchman, and it's great to find another partner in (legal-ish) crime. :p
I think this is super smashing! And I probably should be having cutesy thoughts about it, but what came to mind was Beavis & Butthead when they used to excitedly say, "Fire, fire, fire!" I'll try not to act like them though :D

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
You'll have to forgive me, I'm a bit of an armchair social scientist. I know you might not remember, but you have me curious. Do you remember what the signs said? Did they carry signs the day after V-day if they didn't get anything from their BFs? Was a joke? Or were they serious? This was like a peer pressure to get BFs to buy them gifts?

In my high school some students created this Valentines Day event where this group would go into the classrooms and give someone a V-day card or flower for you. I think some were secret and you could find out who it was. This was during a period of class. I was a little surprised the school administration supported it. Students could opt out of it if they didn't want to receive anything. I think I remember a girl who opted out, cause it would be too embarrassing.

I generally supported it because I knew it could be difficult to contact a student you were interested in (2,000 students). Obviously, you'd want to catch a student in the hall in the short time between classes, but there were some large distances, among other impediments. Of course, that would be something most students would want to keep private, but compared to nothing, might be worth it.
No problem! I'll tell you what I know...or what I remember. One girl in particular that I remember her sign said something along the lines of Valentine's Day Sux. I think other stuff was written on the sign, but I can't remember what it was. Usually, the popular girls always got flowers delivered to class, either from their current bf or from their parents. I was not a popular girl, btw. I was in the brainy group, so I might not have all the details since I wasn't close to the situation. I do remember overhearing 2 of her friends say, "Nick didn't get her any flowers." Nick was her bf, of course. This led me to believe that whenever I'd see those type of signs it was most likely due to not having received flowers or some other such gift.

When I was in grade school, we had to give everyone a Valentine. We didn't have to do this in middle/high school. My best friend and I would exchange little Valentine gifts though. She is the one who started that tradition between us in grade school and it might be her that inspired my enjoyment of the holiday in my adult years (she passed on years ago).

Did your school do those survey things, where you answer a bunch of questions and they put it into the computer and then they have a print out of who your matches are? In order to see your matches, you had to buy the print out. I never bought the print out, so I never knew who my matches were lol

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I think this is super smashing! And I probably should be having cutesy thoughts about it, but what came to mind was Beavis & Butthead when they used to excitedly say, "Fire, fire, fire!" I'll try not to act like them though :D

A+ for Beavis and Butthead post. Loved those two as a teen. 😁

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

We're going to have a Whang Doodle of a time!! 😬🤫🥸

Bonus points if someone calls the fire department and we meet the entire fire 🔥 fighting team. 😁

Actually... No, I am way too law-abiding and way too insecure -- but it's pretty funny to think about. 😝

We could get a pizza and smother with belated birthday 🎈🎂 candles for both of us. 😁🥳

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
A+ for Beavis and Butthead post. Loved those two as a teen. 😁
Me too! The Cornholio episodes were particularly hilarious! And the episode of feminists, their shirts said Women's Rights Now, but Beavis & Butthead read it as Women Right Now :LOL: