What are the Bible verses that directly support Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunrise Service, Easter or Resurrection Sunday?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 24, 2018
Those traditions were started by Roman Catholic Popes. When has the majority been right? Why have all Bible prophesies about Jesus Christ have been literally fulfilled, but His Three Days Three Nights one?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
1 Speculations 2:8-13, Traditions 4:19-26, Additions to Peter 3:11-17, and Encyclicals 3 and 4.

Seriously, the gospel narratives record these events, but the only thing in Scripture that even suggests memorializing them is "As often as you do this, remember Me"... and that was for the supper, which we celebrate as "Communion".

At the same time, there is nothing inherently wrong with such celebrations as long as Jesus is the focus. It's a stretch to say that the popes started them; more likely they were already-existing practices that the popes formalized.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Most of these special days were decided by men, not God. Even most of the names aren't in scripture unless it was a translation of Hebrew like using the word Easter to translate the word Passover.

In scripture, and by following what Christ did, the holidays that scripture tells us to do "for all generations" have been outlawed by tradition. The church calls them rituals whose guidance has been replaced by the Holy Spirit.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Luke 24:1-7
[ The first day of the week: the empty tomb ] But at the first signs of dawn on the first day of the week, they went to the tomb, taking with them the aromatic spices they had prepared. They discovered that the stone had been rolled away from the tomb, but on going inside, the body of the Lord Jesus was not to be found. While they were still puzzling over this, two men suddenly stood at their elbow, dressed in dazzling light. The women were terribly frightened, and turned their eyes away and looked at the ground. But the two men spoke to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here: he has risen! Remember what he said to you, while he was still in Galilee—that the Son of Man must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men, and must be crucified, and must rise again on the third day.”

John 20:1-2
[ The first day of the week: the risen Lord ] But on the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala arrived at the tomb, very early in the morning, while it was still dark, and noticed that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. At this she ran, found Simon Peter and the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb and we don’t know where they have put him.”

John 20:19
In the evening of that first day of the week, the disciples had met together with the doors locked for fear of the Jews. Jesus came and stood right in the middle of them and said, “Peace be with you!”

Acts 20:7-10
[ Paul’s enthusiasm leads to an accident ] On the first day of the week, when we were assembled for the breaking of bread, Paul, since he intended to leave on the following day, began to speak to them and prolonged his address until almost midnight. There were a great many lamps burning in the upper room where we met, and a young man called Eutychus who was sitting on the window-sill fell asleep as Paul’s address became longer and longer. Finally, completely overcome by sleep, he fell to the ground from the third storey and was picked up as dead. But Paul went down, bent over him and holding him gently in his arms, said, “Don’t be alarmed; he is still alive.”

1 Corinthians 16:2-4
On the first day of the week let everyone put so much by him, according to his financial ability, so that there will be no need for collections when I come. Then, on my arrival, I will send whomever you approve to take your gift, with my recommendation, to Jerusalem. If it seems right for me to go as well, we will make up a party together .

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
1 Speculations 2:8-13, Traditions 4:19-26, Additions to Peter 3:11-17, and Encyclicals 3 and 4.

Seriously, the gospel narratives record these events, but the only thing in Scripture that even suggests memorializing them is "As often as you do this, remember Me"... and that was for the supper, which we celebrate as "Communion".

At the same time, there is nothing inherently wrong with such celebrations as long as Jesus is the focus. It's a stretch to say that the popes started them; more likely they were already-existing practices that the popes formalized.
I find it very interesting that so many world religions celebrate holidays that basically have the same meaning but, may be called a different name and can be celebrated on a completely different date... Who is right.?

The only thought on this topic is that we humans believe we can figure out and even try and force God’s timing....Take USA and Dec. 25.....Most of us anticipate that childlike aura to arrive on that exact day but, the season can be a very stressful time.

There is a time for everything and only The Father knows the timing.

Oct 24, 2018
Luke 24:1-7
[ The first day of the week: the empty tomb ] But at the first signs of dawn on the first day of the week, they went to the tomb, taking with them the aromatic spices they had prepared. They discovered that the stone had been rolled away from the tomb, but on going inside, the body of the Lord Jesus was not to be found. While they were still puzzling over this, two men suddenly stood at their elbow, dressed in dazzling light. The women were terribly frightened, and turned their eyes away and looked at the ground. But the two men spoke to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here: he has risen! Remember what he said to you, while he was still in Galilee—that the Son of Man must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men, and must be crucified, and must rise again on the third day.”

John 20:1-2
[ The first day of the week: the risen Lord ] But on the first day of the week, Mary of Magdala arrived at the tomb, very early in the morning, while it was still dark, and noticed that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. At this she ran, found Simon Peter and the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb and we don’t know where they have put him.”

John 20:19
In the evening of that first day of the week, the disciples had met together with the doors locked for fear of the Jews. Jesus came and stood right in the middle of them and said, “Peace be with you!”

Acts 20:7-10
[ Paul’s enthusiasm leads to an accident ] On the first day of the week, when we were assembled for the breaking of bread, Paul, since he intended to leave on the following day, began to speak to them and prolonged his address until almost midnight. There were a great many lamps burning in the upper room where we met, and a young man called Eutychus who was sitting on the window-sill fell asleep as Paul’s address became longer and longer. Finally, completely overcome by sleep, he fell to the ground from the third storey and was picked up as dead. But Paul went down, bent over him and holding him gently in his arms, said, “Don’t be alarmed; he is still alive.”

1 Corinthians 16:2-4
On the first day of the week let everyone put so much by him, according to his financial ability, so that there will be no need for collections when I come. Then, on my arrival, I will send whomever you approve to take your gift, with my recommendation, to Jerusalem. If it seems right for me to go as well, we will make up a party together .

***Sunday started at Saturday Sundown back then.

Oct 24, 2018
Free good information:

about the Sabbath-- https://www.box.com/s/76fdd30db8b26be34185

Passion Week-- https://app.box.com/s/f3bcb04b37dc6d06282e

Note: The "1--" and "2--" items are what I considered the best.

0-- Proof of Three Days and Three Nights in ETRALF -- https://app.box.com/s/bz18qafd4mpne6b2g536p1ofzwbirld1

1-- the real meaning of Passion Week https://app.box.com/s/1j2z1rp4bdoku9elb2pxhx0nvj5pq4vb

0-- The Passion Week to the Ascension of Jesus Christ (62 pgs.)-- https://app.box.com/s/vfmyy61z95lhh0etwyzwdk2bckahwtm5

1-- Proof that Jesus is the Messiah https://app.box.com/s/0pv2owduz7dkq0yh5ida

Oct 24, 2018
I find it very interesting that so many world religions celebrate holidays that basically have the same meaning but, may be called a different name and can be celebrated on a completely different date... Who is right.?

The only thought on this topic is that we humans believe we can figure out and even try and force God’s timing....Take USA and Dec. 25.....Most of us anticipate that childlike aura to arrive on that exact day but, the season can be a very stressful time.

There is a time for everything and only The Father knows the timing.

***The Bible has the Truths that matter.***

Oct 24, 2018
All of the prophecies about Jesus were fulfilled literally until the one about His death? Prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ-- https://app.box.com/s/0pv2owduz7dkq0yh5ida

(23) Again Tells of Death and Resurrection

Matthew 17:22-23

22 When they were going about here and there in Galilee, Jesus said to them,

“The Son of Man is going to be turned over into the hands of men.

23 And they will kill Him,

and He will be raised [to life] again on the third day.”

And they were deeply and exceedingly grieved and distressed.

Mark 9:30-32

30 From there they went out and began to go through Galilee,

and He did not want anyone to know about it.

31 For He was teaching His Disciples and telling them,

“The Son of Man is to be delivered into the hands of men,

and they will kill Him; and when He has been killed,

He will rise three days later.”

32 But they did not understand this statement,

and they were afraid to ask Him.

Matthew 20:17-19

17 And as Jesus was going up to Jerusalem,

He took the twelve Disciples aside along the way and said to them,

18 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem,

and The Son Of Man will be handed over to the Chief Priests and Scribes;

and they will sentence Him to death

19 And deliver Him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and whipped and crucified,

and He will be raised [to life] on the third day.”

Mark 10:32-34

32 They were on the road going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking on ahead of them;

and they were amazed, and those who followed were fearful.

And again He took the twelve aside and began to tell them what was going to happen to Him,

33 saying, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem,

and The Son Of Man will be delivered to the Chief Priests and the Scribes;

and they will condemn Him to death and will hand Him over to the Gentiles.

34 They will mock Him and spit on Him, and scourge Him and kill Him,

and three days later He will rise again.”

S

selfdissolving

Those are liturgical holy days. They are traditions. All Churches have traditions. All people have traditions, including you.

Do you pray before a meal? Kneel when you pray? Stand up at Church when you sing? Those are all traditions.

None of those things are specifically outlined in Scripture, yet we do them and there's nothing wrong with that.

The same goes for liturgical holy days like Christmas and Easter.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont know I think it was to fit in with the Roman (gregorian) calendar at the time. Also as the pagan holiday of easter was celebrated at the same time.

Its passover that Jesus observed, not easter or any specific days of the week. Thursdays, fridays, saturdays were not what the jewish people followed rhey had their own days of the week. And they dont always correspond with the gregorian calendar as its a lunar calendar not solar.

Its just become a RC church tradition like christmas has..and saints days etc. in the RCC church, those hoildays got made into state holidays were everyone was obligated to observe and had to attend church. Its not a bad thing...we get the day off. But its not actually the same calendar God followed for the feasts and sabbaths he wanted the Israelites to observes. If we truly followed the jewish calendar, we would have every seventh year off from work and every fiftieth a jubilee. We would also celebrate all the other feasts. Sukkot, shauvot, feast of tabernacles, purim, day of atonement, hannukah...

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Dear Self-dissolving,

Jesus would kneel and even lay down face to the ground to pray……..people who know do this also in order to be as much like He as is possible.

We are taught to give thinks in all things. We thank the Father for the good an the bad, and we bless our table before eating in order for the food to be good, heaqlthy and safe to et not to mention being grateful to God for it.

Just about all a person does who loves Jesus, Yeshua, is to honor Him...……...so if these things are all tradition, I seem to be quite traditional…. By the way, I cannot belong to any other denominated faith other than the faith o Abraham as taught by our Lord and Savior, yeshua...

Also when I use the Hebrew ame of Jesus, I use it as knowing how it translates into the languae I am using….. All blessings in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Oct 24, 2018
That is not counted as the full day. Wednesday Sundown to Thursday Sunrise is the first night, then Thursday until Sundown is the first day, Thursday Sundown to Friday Sunrise is the second night, then Friday until Sundown is the second day, Friday Sundown to Saturday Sunrise is the third night, then Saturday until Sundown is the third day.

Oct 24, 2018
Maundy Thursday Traditions

The Catholic Church lives out Christ's commandment to love one another in a number of ways through her traditions on Maundy Thursday. The best known is the washing of the feet of laymen by their priest during the Mass of the Lord's Supper, which recalls Christ's own washing of the feet of His disciples (John 13:1-11).

Maundy Thursday was also traditionally the day on which those who needed to be reconciled to the Church in order to receive Holy Communion on Easter Sunday could be absolved from their sins. And as early as the fifth century CE, it became the custom for the bishop to consecrate the holy oil or chrism for all of the churches of his diocese. This chrism is used in baptisms and confirmations throughout the year, but especially at the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday, when those who are converting to Catholicism are welcomed into the Church.