What are you reading?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Thank you, young lady. I have no doubt we will both prosper in this.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel

A third of the way finished with that. Then I'm going to try Daniel Dennet's Breaking the Spell

I may take a break from the dueling banjos of theism vs. atheism after that. May pick up Steven Pinker.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I may start blogging about my expedition on this site.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018

A third of the way finished with that. Then I'm going to try Daniel Dennet's Breaking the Spell

I may take a break from the dueling banjos of theism vs. atheism after that. May pick up Steven Pinker.
I did read Lee's book on Christ, and another on Faith.

D

Depleted

we already know the answer to this question, but, why??? why???
will not 'people who claim to know our Holy Saviour, READ their Bibles???
carry them where ever they go???

I will share a 'special secrret', when you take your Bible with you, at all times,
it will give you something that most will be amazed with when you speak with them
from your heart...
Actually, I assume the question is "besides your Bibles."

D

Depleted

I'm reading a very thorough and honest treatment about something very important.

It's called The Secrets of East-cliff-by-the-Sea and is a deep dive into the world of Throckmorten S. Monkey, one of 49 sock monkeys in a large family in Maine. It may be a middle-grade novel, however it's for anyone of any age. (Gal. Got to check it out for your student's sake.)

(Best stuffed animal story I've ever read, and I'm still determined to read everyone ever written. :eek:)

Monnkai

Mar 18, 2014
Sorry for the three month delay on the response. I'm picking up my bible tonight for the first time in a while. My anxiety came back in a big way so I'm hitting it tonight. As for other books I'm to busy driving myself crazy to read

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Sorry for the three month delay on the response. I'm picking up my bible tonight for the first time in a while. My anxiety came back in a big way so I'm hitting it tonight. As for other books I'm to busy driving myself crazy to read
I pray you will receive peace for your anxiety.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
For those who are interested, my blog series is a-go.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
That's horrible. I'll throw up a prayer for you, brother.

A

AuntieAnt

Archived writings of both Lloyd Ellefson and Jim Minker

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

Please don’t apologize. If you remember Kilden, she had posted a thread about what people were reading and it just became a long standing thread like a stream of consciousness. Thanks for posting the thread. :)

I wanted to say, that if the news is upsetting you- simply don’t watch it! I read a book about C. S. Lewis, and he had written a letter to Arthur C. Clarke (the author of 2001: A Space Odyssey). Apparently, Clarke was criticized by a critic for writing escapism. Lewis said to Clarke “The only people who criticize escapism are jailers.” Tolkien wrote a whole essay about how healthy it is to escape into worlds a person invents (he did this often during WWI).

It is an idea, anyway. If current events are contributing to your anxiety, you could avoid watching or reading current events.

Thanks again for this thread.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Please don’t apologize. If you remember Kilden, she had posted a thread about what people were reading and it just became a long standing thread like a stream of consciousness. Thanks for posting the thread. :)

I wanted to say, that if the news is upsetting you- simply don’t watch it! I read a book about C. S. Lewis, and he had written a letter to Arthur C. Clarke (the author of 2001: A Space Odyssey). Apparently, Clarke was criticized by a critic for writing escapism. Lewis said to Clarke “The only people who criticize escapism are jailers.” Tolkien wrote a whole essay about how healthy it is to escape into worlds a person invents (he did this often during WWI).

It is an idea, anyway. If current events are contributing to your anxiety, you could avoid watching or reading current events.

I remember her quite well. My wife and her still exchange Christmas cards.

Monnkai

Mar 18, 2014

I remember Kilden. Honestly I completely forgot about this thread until Lynn posted in it

Feb 28, 2016
Hub and myself have read extensively throughout many decades, from a-to-b and many in between,
but I am just in the last book 'once again' of the four gospels, and have already learned several
things that have brought me to new enlightenments, it will never cease for the both of us to
make our priority Christ's Holy Word...this is just where we are at this time of our lives,
but we say, (read as God leads) for understanding and wisdom can be gleaned from
others writings, - just always make sure Whose principle writings/Words, are the
only way to truly get to where He wants us to be...

T

Tinuviel

A third of the way finished with that. .
I just saw this as a film. I wasn't aware of the story until then. I was very interested in reading it after I watched the movie. Let us know how you find it!

T

Tinuviel

I did read Lee's book on Christ, and another on Faith.
What did you think of The Case for Christ? I am interested in reading it, if it is good. Don't exactly have time right now to read something not-so-good :p.