What do you collect and why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JeniBean
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

JeniBean

Guest
I often notice many people collect certain things. What do you collect? When did you start your collection? And why?

As always I will start.

I collect Christmas ornaments from all the places I visit. That way each year as I put up my Christmas tree I am reminded of the trips or adventure. It can often be hard to find an ornament. So then I will grab something that makes me think of the place and create one. I started my collection when I graduated from high school. I was given a Class of 91 ornament. I thought...hmm what a unique gift and the rest is ornament history.

How about you?
 
Ohh this is fun.

I collect:

Random coins from other countries or old coins if I can find them.

Old books.. cookbooks from pre 1940-1800s and I collect old diaries/journals or writings. I have a 1940 diary from a local handyman here in my area and a French seamstresses seamstress book from the 40s. It is fascinating. I would like more and older ones.

This past year I have started to collect teacups and teapots and vintage anything to make tea parties (I threw a vintage tea party this past year and everyone loved it).

I collect antiques too.

I think I sense a pattern here. Old stuff.
 
cookbooks from pre 1940

My Mom has a cookbook/survival guide from Africa, pre-war. Among the recipes, there is a list of things to take on a safari... such as a hatchet, a cookpot, dry beans, salt, one housewife...

I had to ask, of course. No, it wasn't a domestically-inclined married woman, it was a sewing kit, pronounced 'hussuf'. But it makes for a good chuckle. How things have changed!

I've collected many things over the years, but had to sell it all during some lean times. Then I started collecting miniature cars, of which my avatar pic is one. It allows me to indulge my appreciation of automobile design. Given the closet full of storage boxes, 'over-indulge' might be more accurate.... :)
 
I collected rocks for many years but it got to be too many so I gave most of them away.

stones.jpg
 
I collect bugs just for the fun thought of bugging people.

Just kidding :p

But in truth I have collected sentimental items for a few years now because one day I would love to pass it on to my future children. For example I have some antique dolls from both of my grandmother's, a tea set, pictures and most recently I found a letter my mom wrote to me about twelve years ago and a note my grandma wrote me for my sweet sixteen and I treasure and collect those types of items because I can never get those times back.
 
Experiences! But I tend to over sentimentalize them.
 
I collect Peanuts Halloween, Thanksgiving , and Christmas decorations. Just put the great pumpkin stuff out last week. My Christmas collection is unique in that since 1986, whenever they print a card with no wording on the front I've framed it and made them into pictures. It all started the year I bought my first house, there was a card with Linus in his shepherd's costume quoting the Luke 2:8-14 passage. As soon as I saw it I hade to frame and display it as an homage to our Lord's birth. Then one with Charlie Brown and the tree came out with no lettering on the front and I figured what the heck Linus could use some company. And it's just snowballed since then. Enough to fill one wall of the garage and a shed. When God calls me home it'll go to a children's hospital I've done work with. Nothing like bringing smiles to sick kids with the original Snoop(y) Dog :)
 
I collect everything i can get during a holiday on recreation places. Brochures, card names, stickers, guide map, tickets from amusement parks and sometimes even tissue or branch from a tree. It is just to remind me of the amazing memories from that holiday and also a lovely memory with my family :)
 
I collect Peanuts Halloween, Thanksgiving , and Christmas decorations. Just put the great pumpkin stuff out last week. My Christmas collection is unique in that since 1986, whenever they print a card with no wording on the front I've framed it and made them into pictures. It all started the year I bought my first house, there was a card with Linus in his shepherd's costume quoting the Luke 2:8-14 passage. As soon as I saw it I hade to frame and display it as an homage to our Lord's birth. Then one with Charlie Brown and the tree came out with no lettering on the front and I figured what the heck Linus could use some company. And it's just snowballed since then. Enough to fill one wall of the garage and a shed. When God calls me home it'll go to a children's hospital I've done work with. Nothing like bringing smiles to sick kids with the original Snoop(y) Dog :)

I love Snoopy soooo much!!! It is sooo cute!!! :p
 
I like to collect silicone mold, plastic mold ~ for my soaps :p My eyes will turn into love mode and drooling when I saw those thing at store with any shapes and size!!^^
 
I collect rocks from everywhere I hike and places ive traveled. Me and family will go on a hike just to find pretty rocks found a marble once. But If I or my mom found a pretty one my daughter will grab it and say thanks and walk off! The purple quartz is always being hidden. We probably have collected over 50lbs of rocks and from about 7 different states and at least 3 different mountain ranges.

I also collect roots to decorate with 0502151807a.jpg
 
Does anyone have any weird collections like lint or fungus? Just askin? :D

No... Do you???? *one raised eyebrows.. Lol^^

I collect rocks from everywhere I hike and places ive traveled. Me and family will go on a hike just to find pretty rocks found a marble once. But If I or my mom found a pretty one my daughter will grab it and say thanks and walk off! The purple quartz is always being hidden. We probably have collected over 50lbs of rocks and from about 7 different states and at least 3 different mountain ranges.

I also collect roots to decorate with View attachment 137330

Root?? Decorated??? like on that pic?? Wow!! sooo beautiful!!! Awsome!!^^
 
I wish I did cool stuff like collecting! But no, I never tried collecting. Hmm if I ever do, it'll probably be all kinds of bonsai. :)
 
I've been collecting Football and Basketball cards since I was a kid; I have a lot lol. I might have a few from the 70s that were my dads', but most of them are from the 80s to now. As for why, my dad got me into them. We used to have a small local card shop where I grew up and we were friends with the owners, so I remember going to hang out there like once a week. Good memories. :)
 
Last edited: