What do you think about works?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

So now!!! you are claiming to not only enter my mind but the minds of all the people in the world!! Only God can do that, you truly need to understand that you are not God. I can back that up with scripture.
I do not need to enter your mind

Your sins are there for ALL to see

Your the only one refusing to admit them.

E

eternally-gratefull

You missing the point there. The young man didn't break the law he kept the law from his youth up.
Um no he did not. He could not even keep the first command. He loved his money more.

No one is perfect my friend.

The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. The young man had one more step in life to be perfect, he didn't actually do anything wrong. Jesus let the young man know that he is close to being perfect. The young man didn't sin, he learned he have a little more work to do in his life.
No he did not have one more step. If he was perfect. Christ would not need to die for him. He saved himself.

You worry me my friend.

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
Such a truth. We can never reach perfection, but we can aim for it, knowing that any time we miss the mark that Christ is there to pick us up and gift us with His perfection. Such a comfort. Such a joy.

I so wish Eternally Grateful could know this and not feel she must lash out so, but rest in Christ. We all need to pray that the peace and joy of Christ reaches her heart.

Yes Indeed I understand, that reminds me of 2 Peter 1: 5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
what IS or MAKE's a CHRISTIAN ?
I thought a Christian is a person who has chosen to:

put GOD first, above all others, wife/husband, kids, self, work....etc

not make idols of objects, people, institutes, or doctrines.

Never speak GOD's name in a negative or for a personal worldly gain.

have promised to keep GOD's Sabbath, but to walk the same way for the rest of the week

honour not only parents, but ALL they meet, until the people they meet, prove themselves to be dis-honourable.

never take a life, nor to obstruct, confine or ignore one.

remain faithful to a spouse or partner if in a relationship, and avoiding romantic ideas or advances outside it.

never take things that do not belong to them, mentally, physically, or emotionally (our Christianity takes care of spiritually).

be truthful & honest in how we live our lives, and how we treat others.

not begrudge any one for the lifestyle they live, or desire the rewards they obtained.

Is this all wrong ? have I missed something along the way ?: Are we (Christians) not meant to be filled with not just LOVE, but AGAPE LOVE, ...for everything, until proven otherwise.... Are we not to live in Love, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Patience, Peace & Self Control.... Are we not required to make sacrifices of the things, people, lifestyles and places that can become detriment to our faith.
and Isn't faith, trusting that GOD knows whats best for us, that we have his protection and he directs our path, ...then actually allowing HIS Holy Spirit to do that for us and help apply what JESUS and the Scriptures teach us: ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
May GOD bless us all with HIS understanding, knowledge and wisdom, May he direct us by HIS will and not our own. in the name of Christ our Saviour: AMEN
All of these things flow out of being filled with the Holy Spirit, which happens when one becomes a Christian. However, they don't make a person a Christian.

A Christian is a person who believes, on faith, by God's grace, in the Person and finished work of Jesus Christ: His divinity, incarnation, atoning death, burial, and resurrection.

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
Um no he did not. He could not even keep the first command. He loved his money more.

No one is perfect my friend.

No he did not have one more step. If he was perfect. Christ would not need to die for him. He saved himself.

You worry me my friend.

You just said it right there, "No one is perfect my friend," but the young man had one more step to go to be perfect. That was to sell his goods. Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

No need to worry my friend

Ogom

Aug 22, 2020
ogom.co
It is not his own goodness but works of the Spirit which is love which some people neglect that and fall short of having love and love is greater than faith.

1Jn 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

And Paul and James agree with him.

Let us not love in word but in deed, works, and love is greater than faith.

Love is greater than faith and love has to be done in works.

Which many people that believe as you do neglect the poor and needy, and go by their wants.

Which is not love and no love no faith no saved.

Love is greater than faith so faith means nothing without love and love must be done in works.

"Which many people that believe as you do neglect the poor and needy, ...."

if we neglect the (spiritual) poor and needy by telling them things like all they need is faith and "just believe" and you are saved or various teachings that are (vocally) against things like works -- so much: instead of giving them the more and more Words of Life that they might need to grow up in Christ... we can cause others to fail to ever really get on the good path (the Way) enough to ever get very far to Christ and the Kingdom. they could be lost from much any real life and we not even know about it. because of our "faith" in ideas -- instead of Life.

Sep 17, 2021
All of these things flow out of being filled with the Holy Spirit, which happens when one becomes a Christian. However, they don't make a person a Christian.

A Christian is a person who believes, on faith, by God's grace, in the Person and finished work of Jesus Christ: His divinity, incarnation, atoning death, burial, and resurrection.
if I say I believe in GOD, if I say I have faith, if I say I'm in GOD's grace, I know the person Jesus, his finished work's, I know his divinity, death and resurrection, How do these acknowledgements, prove I am a Christian ?, how do these acknowledgements show that GOD is the head of my house and that Jesus is IN me ?,, how can I prove to people/ or they see Christ leading me, surely we can't go walking around JUST thinking we are saved, or that the grace of GOD covers me always, so I no longer need to be mindful of what I do or say.
There MUST be a certain way we are to act, and a certain way we are to respond, and a certain way we are to Live, or else everyone is a Christian, who says they are, without having to live a life that shows it

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
if I say I believe in GOD, if I say I have faith, if I say I'm in GOD's grace, I know the person Jesus, his finished work's, I know his divinity, death and resurrection, How do these acknowledgements, prove I am a Christian ?, how do these acknowledgements show that GOD is the head of my house and that Jesus is IN me ?,, how can I prove to people/ or they see Christ leading me, surely we can't go walking around JUST thinking we are saved, or that the grace of GOD covers me always, so I no longer need to be mindful of what I do or say.
There MUST be a certain way we are to act, and a certain way we are to respond, and a certain way we are to Live, or else everyone is a Christian, who says they are, without having to live a life that shows it
The "certain way to act" is like Jesus. Paul tells us about this in Galatians 5:22-23, the fruit of the Holy Spirit. The whole point of acting "like" a Christian is to interact with others such that they see Jesus in and through you. None of us does that perfectly, but as we mature in Christ, it is increasingly evident. Striving to make it happen usually fails. Being mindful of our actions, repenting when wrong, and seeking God's input to change us for the better is the more effective path.

By the way, we are not called to prove anything to anyone. Salvation is by faith, not by proof.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
See how you deflect?

How can you be trusted if you refuse to acknowledge your own sins?
You are to put your trust in the Lord not in any man. We are even to look at what Paul says to be sure it agrees with scripture, and no man since has been equal to Paul, and most certainly not an old 96 year old woman that I am. I suggest things to think about, and never, never something you are to put your trust in to replace trusting the Lord.

S

SophieT

But love is greater than faith and faith works by love and love has to be done in works.

And the point is many people who claim Christ neglect love but believe they are saved by faith.

So how are they saved if they neglect love.

And we know many people who say we are saved by faith are going by their wants and neglecting the poor and needy and not helping people like they should which is not love.

So how are they saved if they do not show love and it is not a partial love we are supposed to show but like that all the time.
:oops:

S

SophieT

I do not need to enter your mind
you would never find the exit if you did

worse than a corn maze I suspect

that might be considered 'mean' by some, but honestly when people basically beg for a silly retort I am happy to oblige :whistle:

Sep 17, 2021
The "certain way to act" is like Jesus. Paul tells us about this in Galatians 5:22-23, the fruit of the Holy Spirit. The whole point of acting "like" a Christian is to interact with others such that they see Jesus in and through you. None of us does that perfectly, but as we mature in Christ, it is increasingly evident. Striving to make it happen usually fails. Being mindful of our actions, repenting when wrong, and seeking God's input to change us for the better is the more effective path.

By the way, we are not called to prove anything to anyone. Salvation is by faith, not by proof.
isn't what I listed before, (what makes/is a Christian) "acting like Christ", surely we all (on CHRISTIAN Chat) know none of us are perfect, that we continually grow in Christ, that we fall but must get back up, repent & try not to fall again, that we SHOULD go to church, read the Bible, and pray continuously,... ...my point...How are we to "act like Christ" to achieve all those BROAD terms and acknowledgements of a Christian.
I think the list I provided adds some clarity, and I'm sure it can be added to. (meaning, human behaviour)
The list also happens to be the 10 Commandments- Laws-Works,to which some on here totally oppose.
With out any disrespect, my brother in Christ, the list reads as a life that we live, "living as Christ" for he lives in us, through us, for us, so I'm led to believe, so we mustn't (act), we must BE, CHRIST-like.
Once we have we asked the Lord into our life, do we continually ask him back in ? or do we repent for our fall from grace, and keep moving forward knowing he's still there, knowing he hasn't abandoned us.
And are we not meant to shine our light to those who do not know our Lord,.. congregate with our brother's and sister's, YES, ..then share the word and light with our neighbours (strangers) whom we must love
I'm sorry my brother, I must correct you, for I have proven to MY doubters & those expecting me to fall, that I'm walking with Christ, (who were mostly family and friends), as I'm sure many of our brother's and sister's in Christ, can relate to. ....."I LOVE THE LORD": GODblessusall

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
isn't what I listed before, (what makes/is a Christian) "acting like Christ", surely we all (on CHRISTIAN Chat) know none of us are perfect, that we continually grow in Christ, that we fall but must get back up, repent & try not to fall again, that we SHOULD go to church, read the Bible, and pray continuously,... ...my point...How are we to "act like Christ" to achieve all those BROAD terms and acknowledgements of a Christian.
I think the list I provided adds some clarity, and I'm sure it can be added to. (meaning, human behaviour)
The list also happens to be the 10 Commandments- Laws-Works,to which some on here totally oppose.
With out any disrespect, my brother in Christ, the list reads as a life that we live, "living as Christ" for he lives in us, through us, for us, so I'm led to believe, so we mustn't (act), we must BE, CHRIST-like.
Once we have we asked the Lord into our life, do we continually ask him back in ? or do we repent for our fall from grace, and keep moving forward knowing he's still there, knowing he hasn't abandoned us.
And are we not meant to shine our light to those who do not know our Lord,.. congregate with our brother's and sister's, YES, ..then share the word and light with our neighbours (strangers) whom we must love
I'm sorry my brother, I must correct you, for I have proven to MY doubters & those expecting me to fall, that I'm walking with Christ, (who were mostly family and friends), as I'm sure many of our brother's and sister's in Christ, can relate to. ....."I LOVE THE LORD": GODblessusall
It always happen in the debate between Islam and Christian in indonesia
I always hear Islam accused Christian teaching as encourage criminal doing
Islam think Jesus teach salvation by faith not by work, mean go ahead to kill or rob the bank as long as you believe Jesus you go to heaven.
And some Christian believe that too.

Is not what Jesus teach. Salvation by believe, mean believe His teaching and Jesus's teaching is to love not to kill

Killing prove one don't believe Jesus teaching mean not save because salvation by believe or faith

Noah have faith that faith cause him to do thousand hours of work to build an arch
So faith mean work if you have time to life

Sep 17, 2021
It always happen in the debate between Islam and Christian in indonesia
I always hear Islam accused Christian teaching as encourage criminal doing
Islam think Jesus teach salvation by faith not by work, mean go ahead to kill or rob the bank as long as you believe Jesus you go to heaven.
And some Christian believe that too.

Is not what Jesus teach. Salvation by believe, mean believe His teaching and Jesus's teaching is to love not to kill

Killing prove one don't believe Jesus teaching mean not save because salvation by believe or faith

Noah have faith that faith cause him to do thousand hours of work to build an arch
So faith mean work if you have time to life
yes you are correct

E

eternally-gratefull

You just said it right there, "No one is perfect my friend," but the young man had one more step to go to be perfect. That was to sell his goods. Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

No need to worry my friend
Its ok. You will get it one day

No one is perfect. Your right.

THATS WHY WE NEEE CHRIST. ITS WHY HE DIED. SO YOU CAN HAVE HIS PERFECTION APPLIED TO YOU

unless you believe this. You are lost

E

eternally-gratefull

You are to put your trust in the Lord not in any man. We are even to look at what Paul says to be sure it agrees with scripture, and no man since has been equal to Paul, and most certainly not an old 96 year old woman that I am. I suggest things to think about, and never, never something you are to put your trust in to replace trusting the Lord.
You said people say God changed his truth

Can you please either tell us who told you this. Or admit your sin.

Your 96 years old. The fact you can not admit when you made a mistake is horrific. Especially when you claim your a daughter of God

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What you described previously does describe how a Christian may reasonably be expected to act. However, those things don't "make" someone a Christian. Faith in Christ makes someone a Christian... period. The rest is the result of becoming a Christian, not the cause of it.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Nope the law is a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ
1 it exposes our sin against god and his perfection
2. It exposes why God can not have a relationship with us for all have sinned
3 it exposes the leans of redemption and atonement the sacrifice for f the lamb
They s should lead us as the tax collector to break down in humility noble to even look up as the schoolmaster completes its job and the law is Fulfilled in us.

After this the law has no purpose it fulfilled its job in our life. Now we look to the law of love. And allow gods love and power to grow us as we seek to love him and others.

Galatians 3:22-25
:)

Ogom

Aug 22, 2020
ogom.co
@Jackson123

we can learn alot from other people. in our own mind's eye we might get lost in thoughts and ideas that are only pieces of the puzzle (1 Cor 13:12). but it is not the WHOLE truth.

and it can very much mislead others, which is not good. Faith in Who , Believe in Who?

The Best Law Keeper in The World, The Most Spiritual Man and Moral Man Who Only Does God's Will (Islam). In Other Words A Perfect Muslim (In God's Sight) And In Sight Of All Who Would Meet Him Face To Face Who Are Spiritual Muslim (Actual Muslims Who Do God's Will).

If a very extremely true servant of His appeared today, who would recognize such a one in truth? not any hung up on ideas ... so much, but without seeking truth in their own lives and thoughts -- over errors. "for now we see... darkly" but the more with light (of various kinds) we can (begin to) see, the more we might recognize such a one ... one day.

Sep 17, 2021
What you described previously does describe how a Christian may reasonably be expected to act. However, those things don't "make" someone a Christian. Faith in Christ makes someone a Christian... period. The rest is the result of becoming a Christian, not the cause of it.
but anyone can SAY they have faith in Christ,... HOW...do your family and friends, your neighbour on the street, tell a Christian from an Atheist, there must be some way to tell us apart, cause people can't see Christ in you until you demonstrate that he is .... how is that done? it's quite obvious that we are called to live differently from from the Atheist of this world, it's what separates us, otherwise we are all just Atheist who SAY we believe in Jesus and are saved.