What does "Do not go beyond what is written" (1 Cor 4:6) mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

ASV
Now these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes; that in us ye might learn not to go beyond the things which are written; that no one of you be puffed up for the one against the other.
AMP
Now I have applied these things [that is, the analogies about factions] to myself and Apollos for your benefit, believers, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written [in Scripture], so that none of you will become arrogant and boast in favor of one [minister or teacher] against the other.
CSB
Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying: “Nothing beyond what is written.” The purpose is that none of you will be arrogant, favoring one person over another.
DLNT
Now brothers, I applied these things to myself and Apollos for your sakes, in order that in us you might learn the saying “Do not go beyond the things which have been written”— in order that you might not be puffed-up, one on behalf of the one against the other.
ERV
Brothers and sisters, I have used Apollos and myself as examples for you. I did this so that you could learn from us the meaning of the words, “Follow what the Scriptures say.” Then you will not brag about one person and criticize another.
ESV
I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.
GNT
For your sake, my friends, I have applied all this to Apollos and me, using the two of us as an example, so that you may learn what the saying means, “Observe the proper rules.” None of you should be proud of one person and despise another.
PHILLIPS
I have used myself and Apollos above as an illustration, so that you might learn from what I have said about us not to assess man above his value in God’s sight, and may thus avoid the friction that comes from exalting one teacher against another. For who makes you different from somebody else, and what have you got that was not given to you? And if anything has been given to you, why boast of it as if it were something you had achieved yourself?
NET
I have applied these things to myself and Apollos because of you, brothers and sisters, so that through us you may learn “not to go beyond what is written,” so that none of you will be puffed up in favor of the one against the other.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
How do we apply this saying to daily life?
Also, how do we apply it to the gift of prophecy?

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

ASV
Now these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes; that in us ye might learn not to go beyond the things which are written; that no one of you be puffed up for the one against the other.
AMP
Now I have applied these things [that is, the analogies about factions] to myself and Apollos for your benefit, believers, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written [in Scripture], so that none of you will become arrogant and boast in favor of one [minister or teacher] against the other.
CSB
Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying: “Nothing beyond what is written.” The purpose is that none of you will be arrogant, favoring one person over another.
DLNT
Now brothers, I applied these things to myself and Apollos for your sakes, in order that in us you might learn the saying “Do not go beyond the things which have been written”— in order that you might not be puffed-up, one on behalf of the one against the other.
ERV
Brothers and sisters, I have used Apollos and myself as examples for you. I did this so that you could learn from us the meaning of the words, “Follow what the Scriptures say.” Then you will not brag about one person and criticize another.
ESV
I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.
GNT
For your sake, my friends, I have applied all this to Apollos and me, using the two of us as an example, so that you may learn what the saying means, “Observe the proper rules.” None of you should be proud of one person and despise another.
PHILLIPS
I have used myself and Apollos above as an illustration, so that you might learn from what I have said about us not to assess man above his value in God’s sight, and may thus avoid the friction that comes from exalting one teacher against another. For who makes you different from somebody else, and what have you got that was not given to you? And if anything has been given to you, why boast of it as if it were something you had achieved yourself?
NET
I have applied these things to myself and Apollos because of you, brothers and sisters, so that through us you may learn “not to go beyond what is written,” so that none of you will be puffed up in favor of the one against the other.
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

God said what’s written is why it matters his word (christ) is able to teach you and I discernment if we believe but we can’t reject it and make up our own doctrine we have to hear what God said and believe what he said because of this part

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4:12-14‬ ‭

Mans judgement is like this

“How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah. Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭82:2-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and so He did this

Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭82:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

…For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭9:2, 6-8‬ ‭

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:1-5, 9-10,

soberxp

May 3, 2018
是没有人看到神真正的样子。
因为神拯救所有的人。

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

God said what’s written is why it matters his word (christ) is able to teach you and I discernment if we believe but we can’t reject it and make up our own doctrine we have to hear what God said and believe what he said because of this part

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4:12-14‬ ‭

Mans judgement is like this

“How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah. Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭82:2-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and so He did this

Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭82:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

…For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this. The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭9:2, 6-8‬ ‭

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:1-5, 9-10,
None of that answers the question.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
是没有人看到神真正的样子。
因为神拯救所有的人。
I guess the questions were misunderstood. The questions in the second post relate to the saying don't go beyond what is written.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
None of that answers the question.
your asking why we shouldn’t go beyond scripture that’s “ what’s written “ lol

so this is why we don’t stray from scripture and what it says

“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭3:15-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

are you sure that doesn’t answer your question and you just don’t agree ?

scripture is what God said is your answer and the rest is the imagination of man

it’s why people believe the Bible and discuss it trying to understand

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Here’s a really applicable reason we stick to what God has said that’s written and established as his word and what man should have learned by now

“And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭4:3-11‬ ‭

Satan has no power over those who believe what’s written and let that construct thier faith , because it’s the truth that’s the reason it’s written by his direction . when we part from Gods true word the devil starts to confuse and trip us up many people have ideas about what God is like how he feels about you and I and the rest of us , how he trea yes sinners and what he actually has said forever to all people that’s found in the gospel

if we stick with Jesus the doctrine he preached for us we’re going to never fall for the serpents tricks even Jesus stuck to what was written and Satan left and heaven came to attend him based on not straying like Satan tried to get him to do from what God said that’s written

it’s actually important to stick to the real thkngs it’s east to stray to fallacy and that’s not from God that’s why we should stick to the scripture and understand what he’s saying To us now that can save our souls

“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

the gospel he sent out can save us if we accept the word of truth it’s written now in the gospel what will bring us out of Satans trap it is a matter of if we believe if we do we’re gonna hear and follow

“And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:24-26‬ ‭

It’s written like God always did he speaks and then it’s written until he revoked what he said

soberxp

May 3, 2018
I guess the questions were misunderstood. The questions in the second post relate to the saying don't go beyond what is written.
sorry
In reality, many Biblical things are distorted, such as loving your enemies, but many times some people's interpretation of the Bible has gone beyond the words of the Bible

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
sorry
In reality, many Biblical things are distorted, such as loving your enemies, but many times some people's interpretation of the Bible has gone beyond the words of the Bible
amen

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:39‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The translations you have used have something other than what is in the KJV:
And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

That is totally different and fits right into the context. So why did you studiously avoid the KJV?

Mar 4, 2020

ASV
AMP
CSB
DLNT
ERV
ESV
GNT
PHILLIPS
NET
Look up what is written about mankind in the Bible.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Hello TheLearner,

In order to understand what Paul was saying, we have to look at the context which begins in 1 Corinthians 3:1-5.

"Dear brothers and sisters, when I was with you I couldn’t talk to you as I would to spiritual people. I had to talk as though you belonged to this world or as though you were infants in Christ. 2I had to feed you with milk, not with solid food, because you weren’t ready for anything stronger. And you still aren’t ready, 3for you are still controlled by your sinful nature. You are jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world? 4When one of you says, “I am a follower of Paul,” and another says, “I follow Apollos,” aren’t you acting just like people of the world?

5After all, who is Apollos? Who is Paul? We are only God’s servants through whom you believed the Good News.

=================================================================================================

Then Paul continues on in v. 21

21So don’t boast about following a particular human leader. For everything belongs to you— 22whether Paul or Apollos or Peter,f or the world, or life and death, or the present and the future. Everything belongs to you, 23and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God.

Then in 1 Corinthians 4:6

"Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other." - NKJV

Both the New Living Translation (NLT) and the Amplified Bible shed some better light on the meaning of "not going beyond what is written" in reference to the context:

NLT
"If you pay attention to what I have quoted from the Scriptures, you won’t be proud of one of your leaders at the expense of another.

Amplified Bible
"
Now I have applied these things [that is, the analogies about factions] to myself and Apollos for your benefit, believers, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written [in Scripture], so that none of you will become arrogant and boast in favor of one [minister or teacher] against the other."

The answer is:

What I (Paul) have quoted from the Scriptures = don't go beyond what is written in them by favoring one teacher over another and thereby causing division.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
This is a good question.

Personally, I think he's talking about what was written in the Tanakh or Old Testament if you will. In chapters 1, 2 & 3 leading up to chapter 4 he quotes the Tanakh in each chapter saying "it is written." Then in chapter 4:1-4 he says:

"This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me."

He makes the point that he and Apollos are simply stewards of the mysteries of God; that is, His written word. Then he points out that it's God Who will judge him, by His word. That's how I interpret v.4 anyway.

Then in v.6 we have:

"I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another."

In other words, if he and Apollos are merely stewards of the mysteries that means they themselves aren't permitted to go beyond what is written, and neither should they.

Jul 1, 2021
sorry
Hello, how is this distorted? What does it really mean in your view?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Precious friend, thanks for the Great Scriptural question about:

"And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to
myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us

NOT TO THINK ABOVE THAT WHICH IS WRITTEN,

that no one of you be puffed up for one against another."
(1_Corinthians_4 : 6 KJB!)

Please Consider:

"I will worship toward THY holy temple, and praise THY Name for
THY Lovingkindness and for THY Truth: for THOU Hast Magnified
Thy WORD Above
All THY {Perfect!} Name!" (Psalms_138 : 2 KJB!)

IF we believe God Did This, Then NO man should
"think above That Which Is Written!" i.e:

IF they try to sinfully make Anything {church, tradition, magesterium,
visions, dreams, NDEs, etc.} EQUAL to Or HIGHER Than God's WORD, Then,
they have fallen prey to the enemy, who has already tried this very thing,
thinking/saying: "I Will Be like The MOST HIGH" (Isaiah 14 : 12-14), Correct?

Why would any humble "child of God" want to be like our enemy, and
"think above God's Pure, Holy, Perfect, and Preserved WRITTEN Word"?
How do we apply this saying to daily life?
Also, how do we apply it to the gift of prophecy?
(1) Applying this to daily life should be by "studying" ALL Scripture,
prayerfully And Carefully, following These Bible "study" Rules!

(2) There would be no application, Since God Says The "gift of prophecy"
Has Ceased! Please review: 3 gifts Superceded By THREE Gifts

Please be Richly Encouraged, enlightened, exhorted, and edified!
God's Simple Will!

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Hello, how is this distorted? What does it really mean in your view?
This means that the United States is always hostile to China and others, but Jesus taught us to love your enemies

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
This means that the United States is always hostile to China and others, but Jesus taught us to love your enemies
It appears to me, anyone who jumps into a world or national political position to the point he is contrary to the Gospel is simply ignorant of all the Master did and taught us.

A believer cannot serve two masters: he simply cannot.