What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Matthew 5:17 Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them

????

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Matthew 5:17 Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them

????
This teaching cannot be understood by most. No matter how many times nor from how many versions of the "Word it is quoted. Most believe this means the laws containing mercy, justice and faith are abolished with our Lord's completing the law.
He is the Only High Priest.
He has blessed all foods received with thanksgiving.
He has replaced Levitical priests with us, a new priesthood.
And so much more. These are laws He has completed.
Oh, and those laws of punishment, no mercy at all, He has replaced by His mercy from the Cross in His agony.
Laws that make up love are all continuous. We are to Love as He loves.
If only people would try to see others through His eyes from the Cross. "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." Thus people will understand more about loving all, even those cruel to us.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

????
Hello Blik!

This one is pretty self explanatory, however, people still attempt to perpetuate it, i.e. to keep it going so that we are obligated to keep it.

Jesus is basically saying, I haven't come to cast the law aside as though it was of no value. But He says that He came to fulfill it, i.e. to meet all its requirements which is something that human beings could not do. As it is Paul said, when we try to keep the Law, it brings wrath, because we fail at keeping it and that because of our sinful nature. It is also written "The sting of sin is death and sin gets its power from the law.

So by Jesus meeting the requirements of the law, He fulfilled it on behalf of every believer, satisfying it completely. When we have faith, God the Father sees believers through Christ, as those who have fulfilled the law. In the same way, the word of God says, "unless there is a shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness for sins." Jesus also met this requirement, shedding His righteous untainted blood on our behalf, paying the penalty for our sins. It is the same regarding God's wrath. Jesus took upon himself God's wrath which every believer deserves, satisfying it completely. Therefore, God's wrath no longer rests upon those who believe in His Son. When we believed, we were credited with His righteousness and reconciled to God.

When we have faith in Christ, the believer is credited with everything that He accomplished. God sees us through the spectacles of Christ.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
My understanding is that Christ came not to abolish the old law but fulfill or complete it. When that was finished, it could be legally/morally abolished ie: put away. If it was abolished without being fulfilled that would be like a breach of contract in modern terms and that would be wrong but if fully completed then abolishing or putting it away is legal, moral and proper.

Example:

What does it mean to fulfill prophecy? It means it's completed, done. It's not something to look forward to happening because it already happened and it's great! But, it's done and completed and removed from the list of prophecies that are still to come. Fulfilled prophecy becomes history! Fulfilled law becomes history as well. Christ replaced the old law and covenant with a new law and covenant.

A covenant is like a contract and you can't have two at the same time. One must be finished and put away before a new one can be put in place. That's what was happening at the cross regarding the old covenant and law and the new covenant and law. How Christ fulfilled and completed the first law was to live a life that never broke any of the law. Without that being accomplished we couldn't have received the new covenant and still would have been in bondage to the old.

Gal 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Gal 4:27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
Gal 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Hello Blik!
Jesus is basically saying, I haven't come to cast the law aside as though it was of no value. But He says that He came to fulfill it, i.e. to meet all its requirements which is something that human beings could not do. As it is Paul said, when we try to keep the Law, it brings wrath, because we fail at keeping it and that because of our sinful nature. It is also written "The sting of sin is death and sin gets its power from the law..
This is a wonderful explanation, except the idea that we are not to keep the law, it brings wrath. Paul told us to keep the law. Romans 3:31 31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

From ancient times to the present day a nation that turns to
God also becomes more law abiding. Before Christ, the pagan nations even killed babies and would cut a hand off for stealing an apple. Our US west was a wild place until the church entered it.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
This is a wonderful explanation, except the idea that we are not to keep the law, it brings wrath. Paul told us to keep the law. Romans 3:31 31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

God also becomes more law abiding. Before Christ, the pagan nations even killed babies and would cut a hand off for stealing an apple. Our US west was a wild place until the church entered it.
I don't teach anything unless I've done the studies. I never speak from the cuff of my sleeve. No, Paul did not teach us to keep the Law. Read the letter to the Galatians and Romans. Paul taught that no one will be justified by keeping the law. I have a whole study on this subject. Below are some of the scriptures which support this. I hope that you will read these and may God give you understanding that believers are not under the law, but are saved by grace through faith. We keep the Law through faith in Christ, because He fulfilled it completely. But we are not under the law. A believer would have to keep the whole law. And if it is broken in just one place, you are guilty of breaking the entire law.

========================================================================

Acts 13:38-39
Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses.

Romans 3:19-24
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:27-28
Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

Romans 4:13-15
It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Ergo (The best way to not break the law is to have no law to break.)

Romans 7:1-6
For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 9:30-32
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith, but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the “stumbling stone.”

Romans 10:4
Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

1 Corinthians 15:56
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Galatians 2:15-16
We who are Jews by birth and not ‘Gentile sinners’ know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

Galatians 2:19-21
For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for

Galatians 3:1-4
You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

Galatians 3:10
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written” “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.”

Galatians 3:15-19
Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say “and to his seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ. What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise. What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come.

Galatians 3:23-25
Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Galatians 5:1-4
Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Ephesians 2:14-15
For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations.

Colossians 2:13-17
He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

Hebrews 7:18-19
The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Hebrews 8:13
By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear

II Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant -- not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why are you still struggling with this issue? After Jesus fulfilled the Law, He did abolish everything other than the Ten Commandments (which are now within the Law of Christ). And that was the will of God.

What He stated above was BEFORE He finished His work of redemption. When He cried out on the cross "IT IS FINISHED", the veil within the temple at Jerusalem was supernaturally torn by God from top to bottom. What did this mean? It meant that everything connected with temple worship was finished. Abolished.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I don't teach anything unless I've done the studies. I never speak from the cuff of my sleeve. No, Paul did not teach us to keep the Law. Read the letter to the Galatians and Romans. Paul taught that no one will be justified by keeping the law. I have a whole study on this subject. Below are some of the scriptures which support this. I hope that you will read these and may God give you understanding that believers are not under the law, but are saved by grace through faith. We keep the Law through faith in Christ, because He fulfilled it completely. But we are not under the law. A believer would have to keep the whole law. And if it is broken in just one place, you are guilty of breaking the entire law.

========================================================================

Acts 13:38-39
Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses.

Romans 3:19-24
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Romans 3:27-28
Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

Romans 4:13-15
It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Ergo (The best way to not break the law is to have no law to break.)

Romans 7:1-6
For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Romans 9:30-32
What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith, but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the “stumbling stone.”

Romans 10:4
Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

1 Corinthians 15:56
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Galatians 2:15-16
We who are Jews by birth and not ‘Gentile sinners’ know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.

Galatians 2:19-21
For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for

Galatians 3:1-4
You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?

Galatians 3:10
All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written” “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.”

Galatians 3:15-19
Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say “and to his seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ. What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise. What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come.

Galatians 3:23-25
Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

Galatians 5:1-4
Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Ephesians 2:14-15
For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations.

Colossians 2:13-17
He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

Hebrews 7:18-19
The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Hebrews 8:13
By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear

II Corinthians 3:6
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant -- not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
I am sorry, you ma study, but it simply is not true that when we accept the forgiveness that Christ gives us that we can want to live a life of disobedience to the law. You are evidently ignoring much scripture.

Evidently you have decided that because God gave commands that Paul points out are not useful any more, you have said the Lord dumped the whole law. Paul was said about that idea "God forbid". Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Mar 17, 2021
When we talk about the Law, we are talking about God's moral Law, not the Jewish ceremonial observances that were tacked on to the basic Law as summarized in the Ten Commandments.

But the New Covenant purpose of the law is different from the Old Covenant, Justification by keeping the Law and observing the sacrifices was the basis of justification. but not under the New Covenant. The purpose of the Law is now to convict unbelievers of sin, righteousness and judgment to come. It is to show that because unbelievers have failed to keep the Law, their sin is exposed. Paul said he didn't know about sin until he was exposed to the Law. Therefore the Law exposes sin, because no one can keep it. The Old Covenant failed because of the sinfulness of man who could not keep the Law.

This is why Paul said that the Law is our tutor to point us to Christ. It shows that we cannot be righteous in ourselves, and because of that we are doomed to judgment and a Christless eternity. But the Gospel points us to Christ and His finished work on the Cross, so that as we embrace Him by faith, we receive His righteousness that covers our unrighteousness.

But God's moral Law still has a purpose. Not for justification, but for sanctification. It is now described as the fruit of the Spirit as the Holy Spirit transforms us from those who did the works of the flesh, to walk in the Spirit, no longer fulfilling the lusts of the flesh. We cannot become sanctified through our own efforts, but the indwelling Holy Spirit does it in us. This is why we are called Christ's workmanship. He is working in us through the transforming and converting action of the Holy Spirit as He changes us from glory to glory from the heart outwards.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

To say all of the law is no more is giving leeway to sin at will for breaking the law is sin.

Mar 17, 2021
To say all of the law is no more is giving leeway to sin at will for breaking the law is sin.
Yes, and this is how the Holy Spirit brings conviction of sin, righteousness and judgment to unbelievers. But once a person is transformed by the indwelling Holy Spirit, he no longer has the desire to sin. In fact, he hates it and puts his faith totally on Christ and the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit to grow sanctification with in so he moves away from the lusts of the flesh to the fruit of the Spirit.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The Father began His work of perfecting me when His Spirit came into me leading me to Jesus0Yeshua.

It is God' work , not mine, not yours which will be done in me making me perfect on His day. I can do nothing for this perfection, owever if I use salvation as an excuse to ignore His desire for us, I ma not allowing Him to do that work.

Perhaps you never sin now, but, though I hate sin, I do slip, especially in thought.

I cannot say to Yahweh, \I do not sin, for that would be mocking His on-going work in me to make me perfect.

B

Blackpowderduelist

For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith. For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression.
Romans 4:13‭-‬15 ESV.

It really is simple, God allowed wicked men to remove the temple and scatter the people, bother Jew and Christian from Jerusalem so that it is impossible to keep the law.
The temple laws, and the feast days, which we celebrations of the sacrifices were all prophecy, that is fulfilled in Jesus. For example starts Sunday, May 16 and goes through 18. This is how it is done. "You shall count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath. Then you shall present a grain offering of new grain to the Lord . You shall bring from your dwelling places two loaves of bread to be waved, made of two tenths of an ephah. They shall be of fine flour, and they shall be baked with leaven, as firstfruits to the Lord . And you shall present with the bread seven lambs a year old without blemish, and one bull from the herd and two rams. They shall be a burnt offering to the Lord , with their grain offering and their drink offerings, a food offering with a pleasing aroma to the Lord . And you shall offer one male goat for a sin offering, and two male lambs a year old as a sacrifice of peace offerings. And the priest shall wave them with the bread of the firstfruits as a wave offering before the Lord , with the two lambs. They shall be holy to the Lord for the priest."
Leviticus 23
The feast celebration is eating those sacrifices and offerings. But Jesus our high priest made the final sacrifice and the final offering, he is our feast of weeks and we keep it when ever we take the Lord's supper, by eating his sacrifice as the bread, and drinking the drink offering which is his blood in the new covenant. And it is the same with all the sacrifices and feast days, they are kept for us by him, when we take the institution of the new covenant, of his body as bread, and his blood as wine, in his supper. My church does it every Sunday.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When we talk about the Law, we are talking about God's moral Law...
The Ten Commandments are not just moral. They are also spiritual as stated in Scripture. It is important to present both aspects.

However, when the veil in the temple was torn in two, that was the end of (1) temple worship and all sacrifices, (2) the Levitical priesthood, (3) all feasts, festivals, and holy days, (4) all ceremonial observances, (5) tithing, and (6) many other rules and regulations which applied to Israel. Christ fulfilled everything pertaining to these things as well as the feasts of Passover and First Fruits. Pentecost was fulfilled after 50 days. And now there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
????
The Jews believed that when the Messiah came, he would destroy their earthly enemies, but our Lord Jesus lived as any other man, as though he himself was subject to the law, It's important to realize that Jesus subjected himself to the law only as an example to us,

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thoucondemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. Rom.2:1

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The law remains to judge those not covered by the shed righteous blood of Christ. At the end of this age when all stand before God in judgment, it is not our sins which will be judged, but our work in the Body of Christ, for our sins have been paid for at the cross.

B

Blackpowderduelist

The Jews believed that when the Messiah came, he would destroy their earthly enemies, but our Lord Jesus lived as any other man, as though he himself was subject to the law, It's important to realize that Jesus subjected himself to the law only as an example to us,

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thoucondemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. Rom.2:1
Jesus did not subject himself to the law as an example to us. He fulfilled the law so that all righteousness would be fulfilled for us. His teachings example to us was that he loved those who followed him and his enemies that sought to kill him, that he put himself aside for others, and that he gave his life for us.

B

Blackpowderduelist

The problem is that we conflate the moral commands of God with the temple laws which were living prophecy engaged by all the people every year at the appointed times.
So what changed with the new covenant? A few things,
We no longer punish sin violations of moral statutes with stoning to death but rather seek the repentance of transgressors, is one.
The other is that the temple laws being prophecy that was to acted out so that the prophecy would be continually in the minds of the people. Jesus is the fulfillment of the prophecies and so we no longer prophesy his coming but partake in his fulfillment of the prophecy at his table for his supper.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I am sorry, you ma study, but it simply is not true that when we accept the forgiveness that Christ gives us that we can want to live a life of disobedience to the law. You are evidently ignoring much scripture.
What in his post makes you think that?

There is a vast gulf between knowing that we are free from the Law and wanting to sin. You seem to think they are the same thing, and you are very wrong.

Those who have the Holy Spirit within, through saving faith in Jesus Christ, don't "want to live a life of disobedience". Rather, we are conformed to Christ in our will, thoughts, words, and actions.

Mar 4, 2020
I would check out Matthew 5-7 where Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law and the Prophets then proceded to lay down immaterial spiritual guidelines not explicitly stated in the Law and Prophets.

The Law and Prophets are the names of Old Testament texts:

Law: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy

Prophets: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Joel, Jonah, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Malachi

Jesus fulfills the Law by doing everything the Law requires. Jesus fulfills the Prophets by doing what the prophecies said He would do.

You don't fulfill the Law or the Prophets. I think this is am important distinction to make. Nor do you attempt to earn your salvation through Law keeping. There are warnings against that.

I think these verses really kind put it in perspective:

We are not our own righteousness because God is our righteousness.

Submit to the righteousness of God, through belief in Christ, who is the end of the Law.

Romans 10:1-4
1Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
2For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
3For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.