What does it mean to be double-minded?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2016
James 1:8 - A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

The desire and plan of the enemy is to cause unbelief, doubt, questioning, reasoning, wavering and confusion to rule your life. Demons, principalities, powers, the rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness in high places will come to attack you because the devil knows that without faith it is impossible to please God. Without faith, you are unable to receive from God, and you will constantly strive to fulfill these voids selfishly and through immediate gratification.

We live in a world of instability. What far too many Christians do is mix a little of God with a lot of the world. If you lack stable faith, and misplace your faith, you become double-minded—two opinions, two wars working inside you. This sin of self-ability or self-righteousness resulted from the fall and characterizes the war that constantly rages between God and man. With our faith properly placed and maintained, the Holy Spirit, who works entirely within the parameters of the finished work of Christ, will then mightily help the believer. The Cross of Christ is the key (Romans 8:1-11).

This is why in James 4:8 we learn that those who are double-minded need their hearts purified: "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. (Once again and ever so, this is done only by Faith which ever makes the Cross its Object.) Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." (Without a proper knowledge of the Cross regarding the Sanctification of the Saint, it is impossible for the Believer to live a Victorious, Christian life.)

Acts 2:36 says, God has made Jesus Lord and Christ. The slave to Christ becomes the Lords freeman - 1 Corinthians 7:21-24. In other words the more you become a slave to Jesus the freer you become as a person. The less you are a slave to Jesus the more bound you become as a person.

Brothers John Eckhardt, Tony Evans, and JSM

Deror

Mar 30, 2018
Great post, Thanks for sharing. :)

Got me thinking about the carnal mind and the spiritual mind too... I wonder if, in the process of having our minds renewed, can we swing from being carnal to spiritual and back again in our minds, as well as being in that tug of war in our flesh vs The Spirit at work in us ????

The more I read The Word, Pray... and Trust (exercise Faith) the more sure and confident I am of Gods work within... He is surely Faithful alright :):) I’m blessed by your post, Thanks a lot, given me some food for thought as well as motivation to keep perservering in Him, andwhat He can do :unsure:

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
I believe that it means:
To be unsure of what the truth is. Always doubting and questioning if what you think is real and the truth.

I cannot count the amount of times that I use to ponder back and forth between science and faith (religion)

I am not sure that choosing between the 2 is something that someone can just choose to do when they want to. I think that faith requires a lot more work, patience and commitment in order to see the fruits.
I just turned 40 and I know without a shadow of doubt that nothing worthwhile comes easy. We live in a world where instant results are possible and waiting for anything becomes a lot more difficult.

Like brother Joel says, Digging those heels in is very important when it comes to believing. Yes, it may be tough and difficult but giving up is the easy way out. Anyone can throw in the towel. How many can keep going when it gets tough?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As is written it would be like a fountain giving both sweet and brackish water. This shouls not be.

Feb 28, 2016
after 'conversion', there's' always 'old tugs' to be 'over-come', especially in the beginning
when The Holy Spirit takes us to school and convicts us of our 'enemy-like-behavior -
we begin to realize just what a blessed gift 'repentance' truly is, for it will give us
victory over and over as we continue to grow into the 'new-man' He desires -
we must take-on a contrite and humble attitude in our new-found Love for our Saviour -
we begin walking the walk and talking the talk in our new life with Christ as our Leader...

not always easy, but so very doable,
praise His Holy Name...

Apr 15, 2017
A double minded man is one who has faith sometimes, but sometimes not, believes the Bible, but has doubts, believes in doing good, but also wants to enjoy the wants of the world, for they believe somewhat, but they doubt it at times, and could fluctuate between believing, and having doubts.

Kind of like being bipolar.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
A double minded man is one who has faith sometimes, but sometimes not, believes the Bible, but has doubts, believes in doing good, but also wants to enjoy the wants of the world, for they believe somewhat, but they doubt it at times, and could fluctuate between believing, and having doubts.

Bipolar disorder has nothing to do with being double-minded. Bipolar disorder is a medical issue; a chemical imbalance in the brain resulting in significant swings of mood and energy. Those who actually suffer with the disorder can't simply "faith" or "understand" their way out of it. Though it can have spiritual consequences, it's not primarily a spiritual issue.

Please do your homework before making such associations.

Sep 3, 2016

Amen...James 1:8 - A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. This sin is the cause of mental illness! UNSTABLE IN ALL HIS WAYS!

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Amen...James 1:8 - A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. This sin is the cause of mental illness! UNSTABLE IN ALL HIS WAYS!
I take this comment whence it comes.