What does the word Westminster mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2022
The first bible I read was a RSV...I got a study bible based on it they call it the Westminster study bible.... There is a church in my town also called Westminster... I'm curious as to what Westminster means....?? Any help?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westminster

:)

Also: The Westminster Assembly of Divines was a council of divines (theologians) and members
of the English Parliament appointed from 1643 to 1653 to restructure the Church of England.
Several Scots also attended, and the Assembly's work was adopted by the Church of Scotland.

Ted01

May 14, 2022
That it's directly across the way from Eastminster...

L

Locoponydirtman

The name is simply a description. The minister-y west of London. Thats all it means.
Westinster includes the "abby" which is a monastery , and the the "Royal Peculiar" which is the church.
This is where the Westminster confession was drawn up.
There was an Eastminster, near the tower of London.
A church that adopts that name usually associates themselves with the said same confessions

Hope that helps.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Westminster Catechism (Shorter)
---
Question (the first & well-known)
- What is the chief end of man?
Answer
- Man's chief end is to glorify God, and enjoy Him forever.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
The first bible I read was a RSV...I got a study bible based on it they call it the Westminster study bible.... There is a church in my town also called Westminster... I'm curious as to what Westminster means....?? Any help?
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome To Chat.
Hopefully someone here can help.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II).

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I'm curious as to what Westminster means....??
"The name (Old English: Westmynstre) originated from the informal description of the abbey church and royal peculiar of St Peter's (Westminster Abbey), west of the City of London (until the English Reformation there was also an Eastminster, near the Tower of London, in the East End of London)."

Mar 4, 2022
If I read the Westminster study bible does that make an angilican?? I know I'm a non denomination protestant can I use the Westminster bible??

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
If I read the Westminster study bible does that make an angilican?? I know I'm a non denomination protestant can I use the Westminster bible??
Reading the Westminster study Bible does not make you an Anglican, no.

Many benefit from reading multiple versions, even when they have a preferred translation .:)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i've read the Popol Vuh but it doesn't make me Mayan. :p

any Bible is the Bible with some variation in translation. It's the commentaries in the margins that have bias and denominational slant - always argue with them, even if you may lose the argument: don't read the commentaries as though they are part of the Bible.

I have a scoffield reference Bible mostly because of the nice maps and useful cross-referencing. I barely bother to read the commentary, ever.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
If it's the only Bible you have go for it; just be aware it's probably slanted toward Anglican theology. If you can get another Bible that's more neutral that's what I'd do. Also, a lot depends on what version the Westminster Bible is. If it's the KJV you'll find it will read much differently than the RSV.

Mar 4, 2022
It seems as if the Westminster study bible is ecumenical and that its NOT anglican.....?

Mar 4, 2022
I guess my question is why do they call it Westminster study bible??? I also have an Oxford study bible wondering the same thing. Im pretty sure the Westminstern study bible is ecumenical although I can't find anything stating it...

Mar 4, 2022
Why is the oxford and Westminster bibles published in new w
That was going to be my best guess too.
I'm wondering why the Westminster and Oxford study bibles were made in New York??? these are names from the united kingdom\London...