What Happened to Joseph's Family After Joseph Died?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Searcher92

Apr 8, 2014
Curious what happened to Joseph's family after Joseph died? Did the family continue to prosper in Egypt, or did they become slaves with the other Israelites?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It's in the Book. However his brothers and family first lived in the land of Goshen at the delta reagion of the Nile. It is in the Book. As their numbers grew over the years the Egyptians began to fear them ergo enslaving them as best they were able. It culminated in the leadership of Moses and the rest is history.

Searcher92

Apr 8, 2014
It's in the Book. However his brothers and family first lived in the land of Goshen at the delta reagion of the Nile. It is in the Book. As their numbers grew over the years the Egyptians began to fear them ergo enslaving them as best they were able. It culminated in the leadership of Moses and the rest is history.
Thank you! Now I remember reading that part, but they actually sold themselves into slavery during the famine. I didn't remember them mentioning the brothers, however.

Were the Egyptians at this point still into the Egyptian gods?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As you may read in the Book, the Pharoah or King of Egypt did call in his magicians and sorcerers, so it stands to reason they had their ogds.... I always thought of them as being Gentiles, and Gentiles all had turned from our Maker to idols and other forms of worship conceive4d in their own minds.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The answer to your question is in the first chapter of Exodus. :)

Searcher92

Apr 8, 2014
As you may read in the Book, the Pharoah or King of Egypt did call in his magicians and sorcerers, so it stands to reason they had their ogds.... I always thought of them as being Gentiles, and Gentiles all had turned from our Maker to idols and other forms of worship conceive4d in their own minds.
Why were gentiles more likely to do this?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is in the Book. Before there were any strange gods among you was I AM

Mankind had known Yahweh from the beginning however men slowly drifted away from Him to worship things conceived by themselves, carvings and concepts that could not protect and teach them anything..

Abram and, I suppose, his family were among the last to believe Yahweh or Elohim. Because Abram believed and obeyed Elohanu, Abraham was converred with the blessins and being the forefather of all who would come to belie God, again… I say again meaning having returned to Him after generations of unbelief.

Searcher92

Apr 8, 2014
It is in the Book. Before there were any strange gods among you was I AM

Mankind had known Yahweh from the beginning however men slowly drifted away from Him to worship things conceived by themselves, carvings and concepts that could not protect and teach them anything..

Abram and, I suppose, his family were among the last to believe Yahweh or Elohim. Because Abram believed and obeyed Elohanu, Abraham was converred with the blessins and being the forefather of all who would come to belie God, again… I say again meaning having returned to Him after generations of unbelief.
Thanks, man. Any idea, why does God have so many different names? Elohim, Abba, El Shaddai, Yahweh, and I know there's another one but I forgot it. What is the purpose of the different names?

Feb 1, 2020
Thanks, man. Any idea, why does God have so many different names? Elohim, Abba, El Shaddai, Yahweh, and I know there's another one but I forgot it. What is the purpose of the different names?
They are all just titles (ie: Father, God Almighty, the Lord God, etc.) God has a name that no man knows.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Our Father has many titles. Actually none of the which are His name. According to the Prophet Zephaniah, come the Kingdom we will all be given a single language, pure in which all will call upon Him by One Name.

Elohim is the plural form of El. It means mighty one, and it was used for calling upone whater any given people would call god. It was maintained in usage by Israel.

Yahweh is translated several ways. I Am. A Am that I Am. I will be What I will Be. Self-Existing..........and probably more..
From my own research of Hebrew and Yod Hay Vav Hay or Yahwah, I have determined, not conclude but determine, that Yahwe is the gerund (noun) for of the Hebrew infinitive, Hayah...to be.

In English there is no such verb per se for when He put it in the Gerund form, that is noun form, it has the active verb sense. This is to say, thatt He, Yah, Wills to Be.

No creature may use that term in truth, only our Maker.

Adon, Lord, Adonai, my Lord, Adoneinu, odur Lord are other names for our Maker.

Again these are titles containing attributs of our Beloved Maker.

When we understand what Yahweh means we understand best why it was told Mary that she should call the Child Yeshua for He was to save His people. There is some variations of what this name means. Most believe it means the Salvation of Yah.

However It is jusst as well Yeshi, my redeemer, Yau or Yahwey.. This is in concordance with the declarations of Yahweh in the Old tEstatment where He declared for one, I am your Redeemer.

Interest for our Redeemer who have receive Jesus, Yeshua, know He is our Redeemer.

Yahwen also declares, I am you Husband. We all know this is in agreement with Who our Savior, Redeemer is.

For now, finally, Yahweh also declares, I am your King..

Take all of this information and read Isaiah 9:6 where we are taught that the Child born to the Virgen would be called such titles as Everlasting Father, Ruler of Peace, God Almighty, Counselor, Comforter....and more. God is One. Do not thing because this reveals much light on all that you or I have understood completely the Being that is our Maker, but because one has faith it is very much a great blessing to know.

If you do not believe me, that is fine, and actually good. However in reading the Word yo will find what I have shared is true, so believe Elohanu and be mighily blesse always in Yeshua, amen.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Curious what happened to Joseph's family after Joseph died? Did the family continue to prosper in Egypt, or did they become slaves with the other Israelites?
I would believe they was quite fruitful and multiplied in their state of prosperity due to the honor Joseph had until one day it neither benefited the ruler to honor the descendants of Joseph because to him, he had never associated with Joseph or had any personal connection.

The Israelites became a threat due to their numbers in the eyes of Pharaoh. From that point any freedoms they had began to strip away until total bondage and slavery. They had been enslaved so long that lifestyle was all they knew. To be released from that was like what we call institutionalized. God had to tell Moses long lists of do's and don'ts just to try and correct all those years of abuse and hardship. Most of them was complaining saying it would of been better to be back in slavery than to actually have to depend on God to help them in their new found freedom. Ultimately their minds was too far gone and in constant relapse to destructive pagan behaviors that they had grown accustomed to in Egypt.

They had been institutionalized and just couldn't grasp this new outside world that God and Moses was trying to guide them. It led to wandering years in the wilderness until the institutionalized Israelites had died out and the young who was raised up in this new lifestyle in constant reliance on God was now ready to move into the promise land.

The decedent's of Joseph are these same people. And all the way connected to Jesus Christ.

Apr 15, 2017
Exo 1:8 Now there arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.
Exo 1:9 And he said unto his people, Behold, the people of the children of Israel are more and mightier than we:
Exo 1:10 Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.
Exo 1:11 Therefore they did set over them taskmasters to afflict them with their burdens. And they built for Pharaoh treasure cities, Pithom and Raamses.

Since there arose a new king in Egypt, which knew not Joseph, then Joseph and his family would of not found favor anymore in Egypt, and probably were lumped together with the other Jews.

Joseph and his family had favor with Pharoah, and the king did not view the Jews as a threat, but when a new king arrived Joseph fell out of favor with Pharoah, and he viewed the Jews as a threat so Joseph and his family would be with all the Jews, so they probably became slaves, or at least did not have the same status they once had.

Gen 43:32 And they set on for him by himself, and for them by themselves, and for the Egyptians, which did eat with him, by themselves: because the Egyptians might not eat bread with the Hebrews; for that is an abomination unto the Egyptians.

Exo 2:11 And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens: and he spied an Egyptian smiting an Hebrew, one of his brethren.
Exo 2:12 And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand.
Exo 2:13 And when he went out the second day, behold, two men of the Hebrews strove together: and he said to him that did the wrong, Wherefore smitest thou thy fellow?
Exo 2:14 And he said, Who made thee a prince and a judge over us? intendest thou to kill me, as thou killedst the Egyptian? And Moses feared, and said, Surely this thing is known.
Exo 2:15 Now when Pharaoh heard this thing, he sought to slay Moses. But Moses fled from the face of Pharaoh, and dwelt in the land of Midian: and he sat down by a well.

Also considering Moses how people believe he was the prince of Egypt, and a great man in Egypt I do not believe it was true, but he was a lowly Hebrew in the eyes of the Egyptians, and the Pharoah, but he found favor because he was the son of Pharoah's daughter although not her real son.

It was an abomination for the Egyptians to eat with the Hebrews, and they viewed all Jews as lowlier than them, and Moses being the adopted child of Pharoah's daughter did not change Moses status among them.

Although they would of had to know Joseph was a Hebrew Pharaoh gave Joseph high status, and made him second in command, and equal to an Egyptian, and Egyptian status, but that was a different Pharaoh than Moses.

When Moses was grown he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens, which Moses knew he was a Hebrew went he was grown, and Moses knew he was a Hebrew his whole life for the Pharoah's daughter would not have Moses believing he was an Egyptian when he was a Jew, but she did not have a child so she wanted to take Moses in.

The Pharoah would in no way claim Moses as the prince of Egypt, and his grandson, and not a man of any importance among the ranking of Pharoah's household or kingdom.

When Moses went to check on his brethren he seen an Egyptian hitting a Hebrew, and slew the Egyptian, which means that Moses favored the Jews above the Egyptians, and if he was a great man in Egypt he would probably use that status for power over the Jews, especially when he grew up Egyptian, but he was a lowly Hebrew and would never measure up the Egyptians and never be their equal so he identified with the Jews for the Egyptians only considered him as such.

Also when he went back to his brethren and saw one Hebrew fighting with another Hebrew Moses said to the one that did wrong why do you hit your brother.

Which the man replied who made you a prince and a judge over us, so the Hebrews knew that Moses was not a great man in the kingdom of Egypt, but a lowly Hebrew as themselves, for if Moses had been a great man in the kingdom, and considered a prince, and a son to Pharaoh, and of equal status to the Egyptians, and above them in the ranking of the government, the Jew would of never talked to him the way that he did saying who made you a prince and a judge over us.

For Moses would of been a prince and a judge over the Jews if he was a great man in the kingdom and the Hebrew would of not talked to Moses that way for to talk to him that way would be like talking to the Pharaoh that way, and the Hebrew man would of not cared if he slew an Egyptian if they considered Moses an Egyptian, and not a lowly Hebrew, and so the Hebrews knew Moses was not considered a great man in the kingdom, but a lowly Hebrew like them.

But Moses did not have to be a slave for he found favor for being the adopted son of Pharaoh's daughter, but that was the extent of it.

But they make movies of Moses being a great man in Egypt, and the prince of Egypt, but it is not true.