What if Christians met in each others homes instead of a big expensive building?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

selfdissolving

There would be no offering plate passed around to pay for the mortgage on a big building.
instead, the offering plate would be passed around to feed the hungry, heal the sick, clothe the naked, etc

There would be no need to preach a certain way to pack the seats to get more money
instead, the truth would be preached as it is and the resulting congregation would be much smaller but much more sincere in the faith.

There would be no salaries of Church staff to pay.
instead, the pastors and teachers would all have jobs, and their pay for ministry would be the same as every Christians pay for ministry: riches in heaven.

Since the meeting space is smaller and the message isn't watered down to fill the seats, the ideal group size would be about 12 people (or whatever space allows for). Upon growing bigger then this, the congregation would then split off into two groups and another Christian would open up there home as a meeting space.

Since the congregation is smaller we get to know each other better and begin to resemble more of a "community of believers". We would probably meet twice a week in the smaller groups, and then once a month all of us would meet in a large open space like a field or a park or a gymnasium somewhere.

Since the groups are smaller, we would be able to discern each others spiritual gifts and talents and put them to use in the ministry of the gospel.

We could pray, read the bible, sing songs, take communion!

yeah buddy! sounds great doesn't it????

R

Ralph-

I'm in.

I do prefer, though, that a church meet in a low rent public space instead of someone's home.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
My church has lots of beautiful houses of worship where believers can meet. no need to meet at a rented place or someone's home.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
There would be no offering plate passed around to pay for the mortgage on a big building.
instead, the offering plate would be passed around to feed the hungry, heal the sick, clothe the naked, etc

There would be no need to preach a certain way to pack the seats to get more money
instead, the truth would be preached as it is and the resulting congregation would be much smaller but much more sincere in the faith.

instead, the pastors and teachers would all have jobs, and their pay for ministry would be the same as every Christians pay for ministry: riches in heaven.

Since the meeting space is smaller and the message isn't watered down to fill the seats, the ideal group size would be about 12 people (or whatever space allows for). Upon growing bigger then this, the congregation would then split off into two groups and another Christian would open up there home as a meeting space.

Since the congregation is smaller we get to know each other better and begin to resemble more of a "community of believers". We would probably meet twice a week in the smaller groups, and then once a month all of us would meet in a large open space like a field or a park or a gymnasium somewhere.

Since the groups are smaller, we would be able to discern each others spiritual gifts and talents and put them to use in the ministry of the gospel.

I have had worship service in homes. But you'd have to have a mansion to hold the members of my current congregation- which would cost more than our building.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
A fri

A friend of mine started a Church in his home and he was forced to stop. The neighbors complained that they wanted to sleep in on a Sunday morning after going out partying the night before. They didn't want to hear Hymns being sung, they also complained about the number of cars parked in the street.

I just put in my application in to join a Reformed Baptist Church, the pastor doesn't work so he relies on us to feed his large family and pay all of his bills and have enough money left over for cars, holidays and all the other things. A true Christian will give at least 10% of his income to the Church, that's what the Bible tells us to do. If you don't do it, then you're not a true Christian.

The pastor deserves the same living standards as every other hard working person, it's not an easy job being responsible for the spiritual health of over 100 souls. You need to be accountable to God and the congregation, you have to spend your time studying Gods Word so you can keep the congregation spiritually well nourished.

So home Churches and outdoor Churches, are just not practical. It's a different story if you have no other options as our brethren have in hostile countries, where it's a criminal offense to be a Christian and you need to hide form the authorities.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013

For a church to meet in someone home that is not the goal of a church, and it should never be.... Many churches start out that was, but by G-d's grace they grow.... And any one who only wants "our 4/12 and no more" there is a problem... The "Church" is supposed to go into all of the world.... Now maybe if people donated for that church to be online, pay for those workers... Wait they would have to take donations, just like this web-site....

What you are talking is GREAT... It's called home groups and they form out og "BIG" churches....

I pray any church that has 4-12 people will grow that it needs such a big building that they have to take up a special offering for it....

To say a church can only grow if it watersdown the Gospel insults Messiah, who grows His Church!!!!

U

Ugly

As with all things there are positives and negatives. I went to some home churches that were fine and enjoyable. I went to one a number of times until they became too weird and pushy to continue going back. I shared my experiences there around and a few of them showed up at my house telling me to stop speaking badly of their church (clearly a thinly veiled threat). They prohibited one user from having anymore contact with me.
A year later they convinced a 16 year old girl to run away from home because he Christian parents did not approve of this group.
Home churches can easily lead to a plethora of self interpreting gospels.

Big churches are havens for complacency and ignorance and greed.

Neither is right, neither is wrong. Long as sinful men are involved there will always be problems.

S

selfdissolving

I pray any church that has 4-12 people will grow that it needs such a big building that they have to take up a special offering for it....
in a home Church situation, when the congregation gets to big to meet in one home, they branch off into two groups. Kind of like how cells multiply, you know? Then the two groups branch off into four, four into 8 etc.

I think that this way of doing Church will begin gaining popularity as time goes on. It's the antidote for the big Churches being run like a business.

As far as doctrinal clarity and avoiding becoming weird and cultish: the same methods would be employed as any Church - oversight. There would also be no pastor standing at the front who can't change his stance on doctrinal issues even if he's wrong. Accepting correction is a sign of humility and humility is the mark of a good pastor.

I can picture a movement like this growing so big that it eventually replaces the big Churches altogether.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
in a home Church situation, when the congregation gets to big to meet in one home, they branch off into two groups. Kind of like how cells multiply, you know? Then the two groups branch off into four, four into 8 etc.

I think that this way of doing Church will begin gaining popularity as time goes on. It's the antidote for the big Churches being run like a business.

As far as doctrinal clarity and avoiding becoming weird and cultish: the same methods would be employed as any Church - oversight. There would also be no pastor standing at the front who can't change his stance on doctrinal issues even if he's wrong. Accepting correction is a sign of humility and humility is the mark of a good pastor.

I can picture a movement like this growing so big that it eventually replaces the big Churches altogether.

Yes there was in the 70's "the Jesus Movement" and that birthed the Vineyard Church... Now GREAT CHURCHES!!!

Should people that want to being obedient to the Bible and pay tithe want to help these homes with extra cost of meeting in their house? Are you going to clean the bathroom, pay for the t.p. water, coffee, any food, extra electricity....

Last edited:
E

eternally-gratefull

My church does this, Sort of. We meet in small groups called home churches. Each home church is a local body of between 10 and 30 people who handle ministry, Edification, Discipleship and cell groups. We meet at my house 2 weeks a month for home church on thursday evening, , and my brother in laws house the opposite fridays.

We also have what we call central teachings, One at main campus, were we also have buildings for schools, training and many other stuff, and then we use other buildings (up to three) elswhere in my city. We have meetings at these buildings on sunday mornings, and saterday nights, we have close to 6000 people including college groups so we could not see them all at once.

we do collect offerings, to pay the staff and elders. But most of the money goes to missions, home and abroad. And we have money saved each year for emergencies, so we can help in those dire situations our churches home and over seas. and any humanitarian services which may come up.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Home churches are perfectly acceptable in areas where stand alone churches are not available. Home churches should grow and expand into stand alone churches.

There is nothing preventing large stand alone churches from promoting that the families in the church fellowship together by inviting another family into their home for a meal once in a while. Great fellowship among the saints.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
A fri

A friend of mine started a Church in his home and he was forced to stop. The neighbors complained that they wanted to sleep in on a Sunday morning after going out partying the night before. They didn't want to hear Hymns being sung, they also complained about the number of cars parked in the street.

I just put in my application in to join a Reformed Baptist Church, the pastor doesn't work so he relies on us to feed his large family and pay all of his bills and have enough money left over for cars, holidays and all the other things. A true Christian will give at least 10% of his income to the Church, that's what the Bible tells us to do. If you don't do it, then you're not a true Christian.

The pastor deserves the same living standards as every other hard working person, it's not an easy job being responsible for the spiritual health of over 100 souls. You need to be accountable to God and the congregation, you have to spend your time studying Gods Word so you can keep the congregation spiritually well nourished.

So home Churches and outdoor Churches, are just not practical. It's a different story if you have no other options as our brethren have in hostile countries, where it's a criminal offense to be a Christian and you need to hide form the authorities.
I don't blame the neighbor's one bit about complaining about the noise and the cars parked in the street. Sounds like quite a nuisance. Also, they should not be busybodies by speculating whether or not the reason for the complaint was that they were tired from a night of partying. It is not their business what the neighbor's do or don't do. I agree with you about the tithing to support the church, but I would not say that those that don't tithe are not true Christians. To be a Christian means to be Christ-like and honestly, I have not met many true Christians.

Danny1988

Jun 24, 2018
I don't blame the neighbor's one bit about complaining about the noise and the cars parked in the street. Sounds like quite a nuisance. Also, they should not be busybodies by speculating whether or not the reason for the complaint was that they were tired from a night of partying. It is not their business what the neighbor's do or don't do. I agree with you about the tithing to support the church, but I would not say that those that don't tithe are not true Christians. To be a Christian means to be Christ-like and honestly, I have not met many true Christians.
The Bible has a lot to say about tithing, it is a vital part of the Christian life. A Church cannot survive without it, so I would disagree with you that true Christians don't need to tithe. Christ taught us to give generously to God, if we are not generous towards God then He won't bless our finances so it's like an insurance policy for our financial health.
I agree there aren't many true Christians around, there are too many claiming to be Christians but they are enslaved by the love of money and that's another good reason to tithe.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The Bible has a lot to say about tithing, it is a vital part of the Christian life. A Church cannot survive without it, so I would disagree with you that true Christians don't need to tithe. Christ taught us to give generously to God, if we are not generous towards God then He won't bless our finances so it's like an insurance policy for our financial health.
I agree there aren't many true Christians around, there are too many claiming to be Christians but they are enslaved by the love of money and that's another good reason to tithe.
For the record I will state that both my wife and myself tithe. She wholeheartedly believes in tithing and I support her in this even though at times the tithing money could come in handy for our own needs. I guess that is where the trusting in God comes in.

Feb 28, 2016
hub and I have had many blessed experiences in 'home-church', as you are actually able
to get to know another's heart and break bread with them on a very Spiritual, intimate level...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
hub and I have had many blessed experiences in 'home-church', as you are actually able
to get to know another's heart and break bread with them on a very Spiritual, intimate level...
I had a great experience visiting a store front church when I was new to the faith. Another brother invited me and there was about twenty of so other believers in the church.

Unfortunately the church broke up because some wanted to control the church and it could not survive the split. Some folks just cannot sell out to Jesus and want to go back to sleep in the last row of the church.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

S

Seedz

I'm in.

I do prefer, though, that a church meet in a low rent public space instead of someone's home.
I'm curious as to why this is preferred in your opinion?