What if you die before water baptism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
These are fantastic ideas and observations, brother! It's quite apparent you have devoted your life to Christ and allowing Him and the Holy Spirit to write God's Word in your heart, and you have that "heart of flesh" that Ezekiel talks about in his dynamite writing that weaves in nicely with Daniel and Revelation. I'll probably come back and pick out some more of your thoughts in this excellent piece later.

"What if you die before water baptism?" That's the question that kicked off some excellent (and unusual in certain cases) discussion in this forum. Are souls lost forever or worse yet being tormented in hell fire for eternity because they didn't accept Christ in this life and become baptized? I don't think so--the folks who are in trouble (i.e. the second death in the lake of fire) are those who willfully reject Christ and all He stands for. The "lost" are those who like Satan want nothing to do with God and His Kingdom. Like Satan said in Milton's Paradise Lost, "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven"--yikes, messed up thinking and living for sure.

From what I've learned from scripture, most people who die before water baptism will be given another opportunity at the general resurrection to accept Christ and receive the gift of eternal life. There are some exceptions like the thief on the cross (although Cameron threw out an interesting idea that this person could have been water baptized by John the Baptist--love the creative thinking!). How about all the heroes of faith from Hebrews 11 who are a part of God's eternal family yet were never baptized in water because that is a New Testament commandment?

Water baptism is an important part of our Christian journey. We accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior and then become baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--that's the simple answer. Why would anyone want to skip the important step of baptism unless, for example, they accept Christ at the end of their lives without having the opportunity for baptism. These rare instances have no concerns from a salvation perspective in my opinion.

Baptism in water symbolizes our willingness to put the "old man" (our sinful human nature) to death in the watery grave and rise out of the watery grave as a new creation in Jesus Christ. Baptism is a commandment from our Lord and an important part of our Christian faith. For me personally as I reflect back on my baptism in my early 20s, that's when the Holy Spirit began working in my heart and mind to serve Jesus Christ in this life.
“Baptism in water symbolizes our willingness to put the "old man" (our sinful human nature) to death in the watery grave and rise out of the watery grave as a new creation in Jesus Christ. Baptism is a commandment from our Lord and an important part of our Christian faith. For me personally as I reflect back on my baptism in my early 20s, that's when the Holy Spirit began working in my heart and mind to serve Jesus Christ in this life.”

yes we come to a place of repentance first like your saying we’re actually willing to change to repent and want to do right we aren’t okay as sinners it leaves us empty it leaves us bound it cuts our conscience so the message that we can change that we can repent and be cleansed of all of that that we can be free

becomes a beautiful thing to the sinner who doesn’t pretend he’s righteous and doesn’t need Gods ways or mercy or gift of remission of sins

one thing I’ve noticed in life is if a person can’t look at thier own actions and ways in light of Gods ways in the gospel it makes repentance impossible and also makes it sound like an evil word “ repent “ I mean . If we won’t acknolwedge we’re sinners the gospel mis never going to be something we embrace it’s about “ repentance and remission of sins “ self righteous folk hesr that and it sounds different to then because “ I’m not a sinner “

if we aren’t willing to part with our sins we’re aware of it sort of leaves us in thie boat

“And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:19-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

repentance is a frame of mind and heart if we can’t reach that place we need to keep digging in the word

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
is Paul sure here spiritual baptism happen at water baptism or is he asking the question 🤔
I see no spiritual baptism mentioned. Based on the context, Paul doesn't question that they are believers. When he finds out they didn't even know of the HS, he doesn't question anything but into what they were baptized. I suggest this shows that there is a connection between water baptism (in the name of Jesus) and receiving the HS.
We see that day one.
“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
They hadn’t heard the message of Jesus of receiving the Holy Ghost they only were baptized by John before jesus arrived and they didn’t hear johns preaching about Jesus
You are correct, John didn't preach Jesus. Paul is not questioning that they are believes. They were taught and baptized by Apollos. At the end of the previous chapter, we see:
24 Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John.

Then Paul comes into town and meets these believes.
19:1 And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus.

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Baptism in water symbolizes our willingness to put the "old man" (our sinful human nature) to death in the watery grave and rise out of the watery grave as a new creation in Jesus Christ. Baptism is a commandment from our Lord and an important part of our Christian faith. For me personally as I reflect back on my baptism in my early 20s, that's when the Holy Spirit began working in my heart and mind to serve Jesus Christ in this life.”

yes we come to a place of repentance first like your saying we’re actually willing to change to repent and want to do right we aren’t okay as sinners it leaves us empty it leaves us bound it cuts our conscience so the message that we can change that we can repent and be cleansed of all of that that we can be free

becomes a beautiful thing to the sinner who doesn’t pretend he’s righteous and doesn’t need Gods ways or mercy or gift of remission of sins

one thing I’ve noticed in life is if a person can’t look at thier own actions and ways in light of Gods ways in the gospel it makes repentance impossible and also makes it sound like an evil word “ repent “ I mean . If we won’t acknolwedge we’re sinners the gospel mis never going to be something we embrace it’s about “ repentance and remission of sins “ self righteous folk hesr that and it sounds different to then because “ I’m not a sinner “

if we aren’t willing to part with our sins we’re aware of it sort of leaves us in thie boat

“And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:19-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

repentance is a frame of mind and heart if we can’t reach that place we need to keep digging in the word
Amen--repentance is an important part of the process as well!

Mark 1:15

King James Version

15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Acts 3:19

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 2:37-39

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Peter hits the nail on the head here for sure! "Pricked in their heart" --convicted and the solution is repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus!

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
I see no spiritual baptism mentioned. Based on the context, Paul doesn't question that they are believers. When he finds out they didn't even know of the HS, he doesn't question anything but into what they were baptized. I suggest this shows that there is a connection between water baptism (in the name of Jesus) and receiving the HS.
We see that day one.
“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

That verse is from Acts 2:38. You have to read further into Acts. In chapter 10 Peter says...

Acts 10:43 "All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

So as you can see, belief is tied to forgiveness of sins, not to water baptism. And believers received the Holy Spirit BEFORE being water baptized. Water baptism doesn't cause receiving the Holy Spirit. You receive Him from hearing and believing the gospel.

🐬

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
You are correct, John didn't preach Jesus. Paul is not questioning that they are believes. They were taught and baptized by Apollos. At the end of the previous chapter, we see:
24 Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures. 25 He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John.

Then Paul comes into town and meets these believes.
19:1 And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland country and came to Ephesus.
“You are correct, John didn't preach Jesus. “

thats incorrect and not what I said
I said throwe in Ephesus hadn’t heard what John was preaching, that’s why Paul told them about what John was preaching

John preached faith in Jesus Christ many didn’t listen to him though that’s actually what Paul reminds them of th at they hadn’t heard

This is just one of the many things he preached about Jesus

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭3:11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

a they hadn’t heard about that part John preached it they didn’t hear it so Paul reminds them of the word that came with johns baptism

“he said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. ( John preached it )

And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭19:2-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they didn’t stick around to hear what John was saying everyone in the region was flicking to John because of the prophecies about him they didn’t listen to e words John was speaking so they couldn’t have ever had faith in Christ or received the spirit until they heard that message otherwise there is no faith to bring it to pass from Gods word

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?

and how shall they hear without a preacher? But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:14, 16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

those in Ephesus hadn’t heard the message of Jesus and his Holy Spirit that’s why we have to believe the gospel that God sent into the world for all people the gospel. Without his word there are no promises in it fornus to believe like receiving the Holy Ghost

The source is his promise that we’ll receive his spirit if we believe without hearing it there’s nothing to create the faith to bring it to pass

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Amen--repentance is an important part of the process as well!

Mark 1:15

King James Version

15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Acts 3:19

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 2:37-39

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Peter hits the nail on the head here for sure! "Pricked in their heart" --convicted and the solution is repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus!
Amen brother , I believe you and I have an agreement and this is why we always find a good blessing when we communicate

I think we agree that if we’re willing to hear that message in the gospel whether it be repentance ? Or any other matter it will create in the one who believes it the will and understanding we need based on the truth that we really do believe Jesus is the son of God who came to save us and so then we need to listen to him above all other voices and the word he sent to us for salvation

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, ( preach the gospel to everyone )

that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. ( John chapter 14 and 15 )

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:”
‭‭2 John‬ ‭1:9-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The last sentance there is why I don’t like to talk about “ if someone believes the gospel but then for whatever reason besides willfulness , doesn’t get baptized they are lost “

its not part of the gospels doctrine I believe Jesus wasnt finished with even those who died in the flood of Noah’s time who also were submerged in water
Into death and he still went to preach to them too after the cross

“For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh,

but quickened by the Spirit: by which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.”
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭3:18-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

i believe if we just talk about what is already there everyone would want to get baptized and come to know what it means and that it’s really important and part of the doctrine themselves through the word

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
[water baptism is most loved by God.and Jesus.

As water baptism is carried out by people like John the baptist,

And forgiveness of sins is asked to be confessed before God. And before the spirit that live in his disciples.

Forgiveness of sins is washed in the water.

And the bible says such disciples can forgive sins on behalf of the lord, the spirit that lives in such people can wash there sins clean in water baptism

Then when you raise up you are raised with a spirit that has been bless by the spirit.

The bible clearly says I will welcome those who welcome those who bless his name.

Those who reject his name he will not listen to.

If you reject water baptism as something that is merely symbolic you would be un-wise

SilverFox7

Dec 24, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
i believe if we just talk about what is already there everyone would want to get baptized and come to know what it means and that it’s really important and part of the doctrine themselves through the word
I believe it was a six month process for me going from attending church on a regular basis to becoming baptized and turning my life over to Christ. I needed that time to immerse myself in scripture and get a solid foundation in place before I made the commitment. But that's just my case because I am analytical and scientific by nature, so I needed to gather all the evidence and build a strong case. Faith in our Lord and the Holy Spirit brought me the rest of the way.

The great Christian poet Alfred Tennyson went through a similar in-depth conversion process where he wrestled with doubt after losing a close friend at a young age and tried to reconcile scientific discoveries like dinosaurs and the theory of evolution with core Christian teachings. His wife on the other hand just had that intuitive faith and handed herself over to the Lord without any hesitation. All of us are different, and the Lord works with us and guides us along the way.

What if I would have died while I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and started attending church but didn't get a chance to become baptized. Would I have been lost because God said "poor Dave, too bad he got hit by the bus before he got baptized. No salvation for him!" No, besides I had my infant baptism in the Catholic church I could have fallen back on if needed :D.

Baptism is one core piece of the puzzle, and it needs to fit together with all of the other aspects of becoming a Christian. While I was baptized in the Catholic church as a baby, my parents stopped attending church because of a bad priest in our city. I knew nothing about Jesus until my first introduction to Him as a teenager in a Southern Baptist church. Sure, God was working with me as a child, but I didn't realize that until after conversion.

I will say in my case that my Christian life went to a whole new level after baptism. I was on fire with the Holy Spirit and riding a rocky mountain high that didn't have any negative side effects. Of course, the trials started hitting, and I was brought back down to earth by the devil. That's my life in Jesus--highs and lows but just an awesome experience overall. It's all about our relationship with God--that's what's most important to me.

Good stuff brother and TGIF!

Have a great weekend my friend!

SF

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I believe it was a six month process for me going from attending church on a regular basis to becoming baptized and turning my life over to Christ. I needed that time to immerse myself in scripture and get a solid foundation in place before I made the commitment. But that's just my case because I am analytical and scientific by nature, so I needed to gather all the evidence and build a strong case. Faith in our Lord and the Holy Spirit brought me the rest of the way.

The great Christian poet Alfred Tennyson went through a similar in-depth conversion process where he wrestled with doubt after losing a close friend at a young age and tried to reconcile scientific discoveries like dinosaurs and the theory of evolution with core Christian teachings. His wife on the other hand just had that intuitive faith and handed herself over to the Lord without any hesitation. All of us are different, and the Lord works with us and guides us along the way.

What if I would have died while I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and started attending church but didn't get a chance to become baptized. Would I have been lost because God said "poor Dave, too bad he got hit by the bus before he got baptized. No salvation for him!" No, besides I had my infant baptism in the Catholic church I could have fallen back on if needed :D.

Baptism is one core piece of the puzzle, and it needs to fit together with all of the other aspects of becoming a Christian. While I was baptized in the Catholic church as a baby, my parents stopped attending church because of a bad priest in our city. I knew nothing about Jesus until my first introduction to Him as a teenager in a Southern Baptist church. Sure, God was working with me as a child, but I didn't realize that until after conversion.

I will say in my case that my Christian life went to a whole new level after baptism. I was on fire with the Holy Spirit and riding a rocky mountain high that didn't have any negative side effects. Of course, the trials started hitting, and I was brought back down to earth by the devil. That's my life in Jesus--highs and lows but just an awesome experience overall. It's all about our relationship with God--that's what's most important to me.

Good stuff brother and TGIF!

Have a great weekend my friend!

SF
As always dear brother spiritual food in there that I appreciate. I love how we each have our own unique experience in coming to the Lord and really turning our lives over to the lord and his kingdom

i don’t know when for me ha ha I think it took quite awhile from the time I was baptized before I was able to really act and move upright or ever truly came to repentance and committed to the lord

daddy read the bible ever night and mama was always singing scripture lullabies before bed and I was told it was true and I bekieved .

But I’m more like a mule than most lol so it took awhile before I came to the real repentance part got involved in a lot I regret now eventually I do t know when I came around still at 71 I’m less than perfect still but

ive always thought way back when I was involved in some of that stuff had something happened and I died or been killed then I dont believe I would have been lost still because I believed even then deeply that Jesus is who he said and did what he said he did fornus sinners

over time i grew up in the lord but I believe I was always safe because of the true belief I believe it’s like that for all who hear the gospel and believe. That eventually rhier belief will bring them to what they need to change or do as long as we hear the word

i like the parable of four soils it really shows how people react as they begin to hear gods word and encourages us to be the good soil and endure

have a wonderful week brother as well may the lord shine in your lives !!

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
This is a thread for people who believe water baptism is required for salvation, if you aren't that type of person, then obviously you don't need to answer this question, as I know you will just say the man is saved, as water isnt required.
BINGO!!!! "Water Baptism has nothing to do with "Salvation" WHICH IS by faith IN THE sin offering OF Jesus on the cross to CLEANSE YOU from your SIN (Eph 2:8,9). It's not a "Sacrament" (there's no such thing), it's an ORDINANCE. When you get SAVED, then you should be BAPTIZED. I was baptized 4 days after I was Born Again, and nothing changed - except my clothes which were wet.

If you're saved but NOT water Baptized (for whatever reason) - no big deal.

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
Is “ the Holy Ghost “ the name ? “The father “ is that a name ? “ the son “ is that a name ?

“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The Holy Ghost isn’t a name it’s a title for the spirit of God the spirit of Christ

Or Is Jesus the name ?

“But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The name of the father son and holy ghost is the name of Jesus the Christ the name of the lord

“And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭10:48‬ ‭KJV‬‬

To be baptized in the name of the fether son and Holy Ghost is to be baptized in the name of Jesus

So of course I believe in baptism in the name of God I don’t believe in three Gods , just one and he has a name it isn’t “the Father the son and the Holy Ghost “ it’s the name of those three who are one

“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:8-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Everyone was baptized in the name of Jesus which is the name of the father son and Holy Ghost in one person.

As far as “ water “ baptism that’s the only baptism the church has ever been commanded to do in Jesus name

“Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭8:35-37‬ ‭KJV‬‬
"In the name of" really means "by the authority of".

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
BINGO!!! Baptism has nothing to do with being "Born Again".
Bingo! Baptism has everything to do with being born again. Without immersion in water there is no salvation nor becoming part of the body of Christ. Belief and baptism go hand-in-hand as the Lord himself so clearly said.

Mark 16:15-16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned

Belief + baptism = salvation

turbosixx

Sep 16, 2023
“You are correct, John didn't preach Jesus. “

thats incorrect and not what I said
I said throwe in Ephesus hadn’t heard what John was preaching, that’s why Paul told them about what John was preaching

John preached faith in Jesus Christ many didn’t listen to him though that’s actually what Paul reminds them of th at they hadn’t heard

This is just one of the many things he preached about Jesus

“I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭3:11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

a they hadn’t heard about that part John preached it they didn’t hear it so Paul reminds them of the word that came with johns baptism

“he said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?

And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. ( John preached it )

And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭19:2-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

they didn’t stick around to hear what John was saying everyone in the region was flicking to John because of the prophecies about him they didn’t listen to e words John was speaking so they couldn’t have ever had faith in Christ or received the spirit until they heard that message otherwise there is no faith to bring it to pass from Gods word

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?

and how shall they hear without a preacher? But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:14, 16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

those in Ephesus hadn’t heard the message of Jesus and his Holy Spirit that’s why we have to believe the gospel that God sent into the world for all people the gospel. Without his word there are no promises in it fornus to believe like receiving the Holy Ghost

The source is his promise that we’ll receive his spirit if we believe without hearing it there’s nothing to create the faith to bring it to pass
Those in Ephesus did hear of Jesus by Apollos. He taught Jesus accurately but he only knew John's baptism. Acts 18:24-28

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Man this is confusement.

Do we rinse the dishes before we wash them or after? Or do we just give them a wet wipe or a good shake and think ahh close enough.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Chuckle!!! HEY!! I'm covered anyway!! Since my father was Italian, and a generational Roman Catholic, naturally I was baptized as an INFANT (got the pictures to prove it!!!! I was a beautiful baby!!), and later (1963) when I REALLY was Born Again, and became a Christian (on a Wednesday night), then the following Sunday I was dunked in the tank at Greenwood Baptist church. and nothing changed (except my clothes, since they were wet).

I wasn't any MORE SAVED on Sunday, than I was the previous Wednesday. I did, however, feel that I'd been obedient to my understanding of the Biblical ordinance to be Baptized, so I was.

Obviously we baptized NONE of our Kids, but did "Dedicate them to God" (a standard Protestant ceremonial practice).