What if you die before water baptism?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Komentaja

Jul 29, 2022
I became aware that the apostles only administered water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ. As such, I made the decision to obey what is recorded in the word.

I was oblivious to the fact that water baptism administered using the phrase Father, Son and Holy Ghost is a tradition begun by the forerunners of the Roman Catholic church. The change took place around 325 A.D. This is easily confirmed through a search of the Internet, and a vast number of church history encyclopedia's reference the change as well.
Okay I regret responding to you at all. Beware of this guy.

You heard it here first, he claims here in bold that the WORDS OF JESUS are a "tradition begun by the forerunners of the roman catholic church"

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Pick up your Bible from the shelf and check it for yourself, check whose words these are, its the words of Jesus AFTER His resurrection. New Covenant doctrine. Baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is in the Bible, NOT a tradition of man!

Dec 18, 2023
that is because you did not read it :)
I did not read what ?

I did not read what you wrote correctly, or I have not read John correctly ?.

And what legalism is taking place.

By those who are defending water baptism I am seeing tolerance and patience, towards those who are disrespecting water baptism.

So I don't see the people defending it being legalistic, at all.

Komentaja

Jul 29, 2022
I am not suggesting there is no Power in the Name of Jesus or in the Blood of HIM. Water Baptism done in the name of Jesus is not the invoicing of the name of Jesus but the authority by whom you are baptizing. The act of Baptism is well defined in Romans chapter 6 to 8
This is what im saying as well!

"Stop in the name of the law!" means by the AUTHORITY of the law. Same thing with the book of Acts, its a historical book so Luke writes they were baptized in the name of Jesus, in the authority of Jesus, they did what Jesus told them to do

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
Perhaps. Depending on the transcript. But because imitating God is contrary to walking in the Spirit, I'm inclined to believe it means follow.
And it doesn't necessarily follow that older is better. It could just mean corrupted sooner.
Not sure I follow your reasoning when we consider we only imitate because we choose to be more like God. It's not like God can force us because we can always rebel. So imitating God is a free will choice to be more like God. This is why the oldest manuscript specifically informs us to be imitators because if you're already a follower you should be reflecting the life that Christ displayed.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Not sure I follow your reasoning when we consider we only imitate because we choose to be more like God. It's not like God can force us because we can always rebel. So imitating God is a free will choice to be more like God. This is why the oldest manuscript specifically informs us to be imitators because if you're already a follower you should be reflecting the life that Christ displayed.
Mimicking what God does doesn't make us more like God. God willing and doing in us is what makes us more like God. In other words, we can clean up the outside, but we cannot effect change in our hearts. Only God do this. And it is only as He does that we are made more in the image of Christ.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I did not read what ?

I did not read what you wrote correctly, or I have not read John correctly ?.

And what legalism is taking place.

By those who are defending water baptism, I am seeing tolerance and patience towards those who are disrespecting water baptism.

So, I don't see the people defending it being legalistic at all.

Listen, if you are well versed in the context of those who say if you are not baptized in Jesus' name, you are not saved, I do not have the time to update you.

Two.

Those who speak the name of Jesus when baptizing a person are Acknowledging The authority by which they are baptizing.

If you understand, before one says, " I baptize you in the name of The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit or in Jesus's Name,

The following is said Before :

"Upon your confession, I baptize you in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit for the "Upon your confession, I baptize you in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit for the remission of your sins." of your sins." Of your Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whom you profess to be your Lord and Savior.

The Faith produced the action to follow Christ in Obedience by water baptism. FYI, Remission to forgive. That had to happen before they were baptized.

CS1

May 23, 2012

"Stop in the name of the law!" means by the AUTHORITY of the law. Same thing with the book of Acts, its a historical book so Luke writes they were baptized in the name of Jesus, in the authority of Jesus, they did what Jesus told them to do
it doesn't say that it is assumed that.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
Mimicking what God does doesn't make us more like God. God willing and doing in us is what makes us more like God. In other words, we can clean up the outside, but we cannot effect change in our hearts. Only God do this. And it is only as He does that we are made more in the image of Christ.
You have your mind made up and I won't waste time. People only mimic and imitate if they're true followers of God. It's too easy to see when it's fake because you can feel the Spirit or spirit attached to them.

CS1

May 23, 2012

Jesus said go and bpaized in the name of the Father , Son, and Holy Spirt but before you do wait until you have received power from on high

Dec 18, 2023
Listen, if you are well versed in the context of those who say if you are not baptized in Jesus' name, you are not saved, I do not have the time to update you.

Two.

Those who speak the name of Jesus when baptizing a person are Acknowledging The authority by which they are baptizing.

If you understand, before one says, " I baptize you in the name of The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit or in Jesus's Name,

The following is said Before :

"Upon your confession, I baptize you in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit for the "Upon your confession, I baptize you in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit for the remission of your sins." of your sins." Of your Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, whom you profess to be your Lord and Savior.

The Faith produced the action to follow Christ in Obedience by water baptism. FYI, Remission to forgive. That had to happen before they were baptized.
listen, this sounds more like your own opinion then anything else,

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
You have your mind made up and I won't waste time. People only mimic and imitate if they're true followers of God. It's too easy to see when it's fake because you can feel the Spirit or spirit attached to them.
My mind is made up by what scripture teaches. You believe you become more like God by imitating Him. That's simply not true.
I do believe part of following someone means doing as they do. The only point I was making was that it will not produce in an individual the traits of the one they are imitating.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
All scriptures are correct.

Matthew 28:19 KJV
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Acts 2:38 KJV
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 8:16 KJV
(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Acts 10:48 KJV
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Acts 19:5 KJV
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Being baptized in the name of Jesus is a reference to water baptism.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah I know. They baptized like Jesus told em to do it.
By his authority.

Even the didache records this, why fight all of church history? At the very least dont be cultic about it and discount the baptism of people who did it ACCORDING TO THE WORDS OF JESUS in Matthew.
The didache is not canon. And it's authenticity as the actual teachings of the apostles is questionable. Especially since it includes various things that go against teachings in the bible.

Komentaja

Jul 29, 2022
What’s the name of the father the son and the Holy Ghost?

“The son “ is t a name is it ? Isn’t the name of the son Jesus ? Or is Jesus name “ the son “ one is a title one is a name
You guys struggle to understand Name does not mean "First name of someone"

Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Corinthians 1:13

When Paul wrote 1 Corinthians 1:13 he was not referring to the wording, “I baptize you in the name of Paul.” No one would of thought that....

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-...us-name-or-in-the-father-son-and-holy-spirit/

Good article here about this.

In short: baptism in the name of the Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit is VALID
baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is VALID
baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ is VALID.

Splitting hairs over this is just cultic behavior and at worst you are being a pharisee preventing others from entering the kingdom because of this obsession.

CS1

May 23, 2012
listen, this sounds more like your own opinion then anything else,
that ok, you think that too, if you realize the Bible is not written in English first and understand the King English that was used in context to Romans chapters 6 to 8 and John chapter 1 and Acts chapters 1 & 2, they are not my opinion.

Komentaja

Jul 29, 2022
The didache is not canon. And it's authenticity as the actual teachings of the apostles is questionable. Especially since it includes various things that go against teachings in the bible.
Thats why I quoted Matthew, which IS canon.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I am not suggesting there is no Power in the Name of Jesus or in the Blood of HIM. Water Baptism done in the name of Jesus is not the invoicing of the name of Jesus but the authority by whom you are baptizing. The act of Baptism is well defined in Romans chapter 6 to 8
Water Baptism done in the name of Jesus is not the invoicing of the name of Jesus but the authority by whom you are baptizing.

Huh? It seems like you’re making it complicated Jesus our lord has a name what’s the name of the lord ? That’s all I’m saying I was responding to a post that said “ baptize in the name of the father son and Holy Ghost “ was trying to make the point that the father isn’t a name the son isnt a name the Holy Ghost isn’t a name

then you explaining it’s not about the name but the authority ….it seems like we’re talking about two different things..

Jesus is the name the lord is the title of authority

anytime the pre sees something it’s a title or object we don’t say “ the Jesus “ because Jesus is his name we say “ Jesus

“ and his titles are many the Lord , ( authority ) the lords name is Jesus

the christ , the Christs name is Jesus

the good shepherd his name is Jesus the bread of life his name is Jesus the word of God name is Jesus , the Son of God name is Jesus ect there is a name ….and there are titles that’s all I eas ever saying “ the Lord “ is a title of authority “ “ “The author and perfector of faith “ also a title the name is singular it’s revealed in the gospel

“The act of Baptism is well defined in Romans “

yeah part of its meaning is explained in Roman’s chapter 6 , Galatians three also , and Colossians 2 ,also 1 peter3 and also scattered in ot prophecy in the form of promise of remission of sins

All I was ever saying here was Jesus is the name “ the son “ is a title such as “ the holy spirit “ the father “ the anything is a title when referring to a persons position or role but they also have a name that embodies all thier titles Carrie’s all the glory and demands it’s due according to the identity of the person

Knowing Who Jesus is os where the authority is rooted his name is his name it was revealed to all the world on the gospel

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, ( he has a name ) justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

CS1

May 23, 2012
Water Baptism done in the name of Jesus is not the invoicing of the name of Jesus but the authority by whom you are baptizing.

Huh? It seems like you’re making it complicated Jesus our lord has a name what’s the name of the lord ? That’s all I’m saying I was responding to a post that said “ baptize in the name of the father son and Holy Ghost “ was trying to make the point that the father isn’t a name the son isnt a name the Holy Ghost isn’t a name

then you explaining it’s not about the name but the authority ….it seems like we’re talking about two different things..

anytime the pre sees something it’s a title or object we don’t say “ the Jesus “ because Jesus is his name we say “ Jesus

the good shepherd his name is Jesus the bread of life his name is Jesus the word of God name is Jesus , the Son of God name is Jesus ect there is a name ….and there are titles that’s all I eas ever saying “ the Lord “ is a title of authority “ “ “The author and perfector of faith “ also a title the name is singular it’s revealed in the gospel

yeah part of its meaning is explained in Roman’s chapter 6 , Galatians three also , and Colossians 2 ,also 1 peter3 and also scattered in ot prophecy in the form of promise of remission of sins

All I was ever saying here was Jesus is the name “ the son “ is a title such as “ the holy spirit “ the father “ the anything is a title when referring to a persons position or role but they also have a name that embodies all thier titles Carrie’s all the glory and demands it’s due according to the identity of the person

Knowing Who Jesus is os where the authority is rooted his name is his name it was revealed to all the world on the gospel

“And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, ( he has a name ) justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”
Not at all

Telling a person they are not saved because they were not baptized in Jesus' name ONLY is a great sin. And an error in biblical understanding.

CS1

May 23, 2012

No, Jesus is the name of the Person. The Lord is the Title and Position HE has.