what is it like to be priveliged?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I wonder what its like to be priveliged

Doors open wherever you go, never having to suffer anything cos you are always first, never really knowing sorrow or heartbreak but only ' rich peoples problems' like how to spend your fortune!

has anyone had that, must be a nice problem to have...if so what are you all spending your fortune on...do tell the rest of us.

I once went past this huge hole in the ground on my travels, it was a gold mine, to think it was people just kept digging and digging to extract all that gold and now the land there is useless for anything as all the gold is gone if they keep digging the whole ecosystem would collapse.
Although I dont always think about such things everyday, but then where does all the oil and electicrity and water come from that runs everything? I know people who can just buy land or they already have it, but it seems to me when people buy a piece of land they just want to play monopoly on it and put as many trump towers on it as possible to get more money from it

Mikhal

Nov 15, 2019
Kind of off Subject, but kind of not; (My OPINION based off of Gospel) Many Evangelists Here in America are Rolling in Money, living EXTREMELY privileged lives, claiming its what GOD wants. That is contrary to what Jesus teaches. I have made a significant amount of money in my life, but you would not know it. Ive tried to use it in a Godly manner, Bringing people the saving spirit of Jesus Christ.

The Lord tells me that NO Believer should be wealthy AT ALL while there is Hunger, Homelessness, War, etc. Our Brothers and Sisters are suffering as well as those who do not yet know the Lord, Just my 2 cents 😊❤. (Sorry if I Burglarized your post 😬)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
lanolin how many "Gee rich people sure have it easy!" threads have you started now? Five? Eight? Fourteen?

I get the impression you read a lot of fairy tales/romance novels/People magazines where the main characters are rich.

Everybody has his own set of problems, and if you could trade lives with anybody - even a rich person - for one hour you'd swap back to your own life in a New York second.

Of course you won't believe me, and you'll go right on complaining about how good rich people have it, and how nice it would be to be rich... I don't know why I'm wasting the time typing this. Maybe I'm talking to all the other people reading this thread.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Also, one would think a person who works with books as a profession would know how to spell "privileged." :sneaky:

But I'm still gonna use it (sic) in the Thread Mash Ups.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
We periodically get a lot of threads in the forum talking about how horrible rich people are, and how the Bible says that a camel will have an easier time going through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to get into heaven.

And yet, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, and Solomon were all rich beyond our wildest dreams. (Solomon would probably look at President Trump -- and laugh.)

I always wonder if Abraham and Sarah were alive today, would Sarah do her grocery shopping at Walmart, or would they consider a store like that below them?

Before we ask what it's like for the "privileged," I think it's important to define exactly how it should be defined for the context of this thread. This is actually excellent timing -- my pastor happened to mention this site in his sermon this weekend:

https://howrichami.givingwhatwecan....USA&household[adults]=2&household[children]=2

So, may I humbly request that before we talk about "the rich", that we could all take a glance at this site and see where we ourselves stand first? It will ask you what country you live in, how much your income is, and how many adults and children you have living in your household.

Out of curiosity, I plugged in: "Country: USA. Income: $40,000 (as an example of a fictitious family.) Adults living in household: 2. Children living in household: 2."

The results came back that this income qualifies as being 5.3 times the median global income, and would put you in the richest 14% of the global population. It goes on to say that even if you gave away 10% of your income, you would STILL be considered to be within the richest 15% of the global population.

So, may I ask, who are we talking about here when we're asking about "The Privileged"? Those who are in, say, the 14% percentile of being the richest in the world (like this family,) or only those who are in the very smallest percentile?

How much, exactly, qualifies a person as "privileged," and therefore seen as, "one of THOSE people"?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
A cogent point. They do say the average USA garbage disposal eats better than about a third of the world's population.

Hmm... "one of THOSE people" eh? For a song, which would you prefer?

"One of them
One of them
I am glad that I can say
I'm one of them"

OR

"I'm a poor rich man
I'm a poor rich man
All you see
It really happened to me
But I'm a millionaire"

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
What exactly is being privileged? Does it look differently in other countries?

Some may define my lifestyle as not rich and yet some might define it as rich. I’m just extremely grateful we have everything we need plus a little more.

christian74

Oct 1, 2013
Why would you wonder about what it's like to be priviledged, i.e., rich people never really knowing sorrow or heartbreak but only rich people's problems like how to spend their forture, in the first place? For real? And you think it must be a nice problem to have? I am grateful for the sorrows and the heartbreaks that I have gone through because that's when I was forced to cling on to the Lord more so. I will tell ya, my last work place where some people owned two digit number of Porche, Ferrarri, Bentley while having a mansion with a nice ocean view - they were certainly privileged in the eyes of the world but honestly, as believers, does their life style filled with privileges with no God in it look even desirable? Of course not - you and I know the only thing that matters is knowing Christ personally and meeting Him one day is the only thing for us to look forward to. And frankly speaking I think you are less likely to accept Christ if you have so much in this world - why would I believe in this Christ when I have everthing I need/want in this world? I know you are a person with lots of imaginations and thoughts (and I do find and appreciate some of your 'think outside of the box' thinking and insight in the Bible) but have your eyes on the things above and stop medlling with, and even wondering about, what's desirable according to the world.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
was just wondering as I was reading about this american girl who went on an all expenses paid trip to france with her mother but all she really did was eat, shop, and complain about silly things like that her shoes were too tight and I thought woah people really live like that.

I read a lot of memoirs its not meddling its people telling you random stuff that make it seem like a huge problem for them when its really not. I cant really relate to that, so I just wondered how they went through life somehow thinking heartbreak and sorrow would never happen to them.

i was friends with a lady at church who lived in a huge mansion with her husband who wasnt a believer. It was very difficult for her to reconcile her lifestyle with her beliefs and her husband didnt like it when she got saved and was born again cos she was constantly going to teach Bible in schools and reaching out to those less well off and about instead of staying home living in the lap of luxury and looking after the well off guests who would come to stay in the mansion. ($600 a night) . She suffered from cancer and then died and the husband had to sell the mansion. It sold for something crazy like $4 million and was in the papers, I dont know why I guess papers like to report whenever a property goes for that much.

I just remember her not really wanting to live there at all and preferring something simple. I think she was a bit embarassed by it but also at the same time proud of it as they had kinda built it together but her two daughters who had families of their own did not want it.
It was a really beautiful mansion and though but the upkeep would have tied them to it forever. It got sold to a richer overseas couple (they had to wait ages for a buyer) and the husband went to live on his own in an apartment near his daughter.

I think if her husband was a believer he might have used the proceeds for Gods glory, or the mansion as a centre for evangelism, where people could go and pray and meet, which is what another wealthy man who owned several properties did when he became born again, he just basically underwrote an entire healing ministry and nobody had to pay for anything, everything he gave was free.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I love stories and testimonies like how a rich person got saved and then they did all these things for charity often in secret...like for example, Danielle Steel, famous bestselling author, after her son died she said God told her to reach out to the homeless so she spend once a month going round the streets of san francisco giving out warm clothing and food. She did this for ten years with a team of people, she just underwrote it all. Later she did write a book about it but in no sense do you think she was blowing her own trumpet. when it got too expensive to do this she stopped but that she was able to do this at all was quite a privelige.

or audrey hepburn giving up her acting life and then being ambassador for unicef. Maybe it was a drop in a bucket but she didnt just while away her retirement years in the shelter of her mansion.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I had a very good friend who had his own business, his own plane, had offices in california and hawaii, a house in a very expensive area (same town where Kobe Bryant lived) and he got there by working his backside off. Even though he had all this he was still a workaholic and his type of work required physical labor. He was a very intelligent clear-thinking business person. President Trump actually reminds me a lot of him. I've worked with a lot of business owners and they are very sensible, hard-working and down-to-earth people. Nothing like the hollywood version where they're just wearing suits and ordering people around or whatever. Maybe hollywood executives are that way, I don't know. My friend passed away several years ago.

I think maybe the type of priveledged people you're talking about are celebrities who are rich and hardly have to do anything besides do what they do naturally (sing, act, etc..) to make tons of money.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
mm I dont know I think the younger arty types often complain about their life but im like really, what do you know lol..

I think business people are actually too consumed with building their own business to think of charity as its sometimes it seems like a token gesture for them. And they will actually say this:

I run a business, not a charity!

and while that is true, it then kind of excuses them from being charitable. But of course, you do need to get to a certain point where you are able to be generous. I think if you get to that point and are still stingy and selfish, and arrogant to those less well off, there needs to a change in attitude! we are blessed to be a blessing.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I had a very good friend who had his own business, his own plane, had offices in california and hawaii, a house in a very expensive area (same town where Kobe Bryant lived) and he got there by working his backside off. Even though he had all this he was still a workaholic and his type of work required physical labor. He was a very intelligent clear-thinking business person. President Trump actually reminds me a lot of him. I've worked with a lot of business owners and they are very sensible, hard-working and down-to-earth people. Nothing like the hollywood version where they're just wearing suits and ordering people around or whatever. Maybe hollywood executives are that way, I don't know. My friend passed away several years ago.

I think maybe the type of priveledged people you're talking about are celebrities who are rich and hardly have to do anything besides do what they do naturally (sing, act, etc..) to make tons of money.
did this friend just spend his fortune he made on himself. Just wondering. I mean what did he do with that house did he use it for Gods glory and what did he do with the plane, was he a generous person? Did he give to those less well off? Did he have a ministry?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
did this friend just spend his fortune he made on himself. Just wondering. I mean what did he do with that house did he use it for Gods glory and what did he do with the plane, was he a generous person? Did he give to those less well off? Did he have a ministry?
I only knew him for about a year. I wasn't a christian at that time. We just hung out together. Sort of like drinking buddies I guess. I never asked him about his personal life. All I know is that he was always working and he enjoyed running his company. I don't think it would be fair to hold it against someone if they simply worked hard for the things they have. Most people chose to accept what they can make as an employee and never get rich, but some risk it all to start a business and gamble their life savings on making it and have to dedicate all their time and effort to keep it going.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
One important thing to keep in mind when judging people by how much money they have, and whether they're spending it on themselves or giving it to the poor, is that this might not be publicly known, and might not ever be.

I know if I had a lot of money and were giving it away, it's not exactly wise (in my opinion, at least) to let anyone know what you're doing with it. I've had a couple of friends who went from rags to (working-their-butts-off) much more comfortable places, and the minute they did, everyone and their mother (literally, in some cases) had their hands out demanding their "share." Their attitudes were, "If you have it, that means I'm owed part of it just for being your family member, knowing you, or having less than you do."

And forget trying to have friends, because people will find any and every way to sue you in order to get what they think you "owe" them or anyone else. If I ever had money, I would choose to remain anonymous with it for these very reasons, and that way I would be free to give it away however I wanted without everyone knocking on my door.

The other important thing to remember is that many Christians cling tightly to verses such as Matthew 8:4 -- "When doing good, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing," as well as reminders that we should do good in secret so that we are rewarded by God and not men.

I've seen this taken to the extreme, where those who try to talk about their missions trips and ministry interests were harshly scolded and silenced, being told that they should not be "bragging," but should keep everything between them and the Lord or they would lose their heavenly reward.

To whatever degree someone believes in this is ultimately between them and God alone.

But to judge anyone, even those whom you might think have plenty, on the basis of what they're giving away, seems to be a mistake (in my opinion,) and brings to mind the passage that judging others also brings judgment upon ourselves.

My family might not have had much when I was growing up, but we knew a lot of families who did. I babysat in a neighborhood of very well-off people, including one particular couple from India in which the husband was a doctor, and the wife was a dietician. Their house was two stories, and one part of the entire back of the house was a two-story glass greenhouse-type sun room, complete with a balcony on the master bedroom, and a spiral staircase that led down into the main floor of the sun room. The sun room was designed to make the most of the morning sunrise over a beautiful ravine in the backyard. It was truly incredible. They were very nice people and I have no idea what they did with their money besides the house (but they paid my brother and I well for watching their kids on the occasional evenings they had an event or went out.)

In my own family, my parents always told me that the best way to give was in private, and I was taught that it's no one's business between you and God.

Other people might feel differently, and maybe even think someone with more should be required to prove where and how much they're giving (if applicable.)

But if someone believes that they are to give secretly between them and the Lord without anyone else knowing or finding out, then not only is it not anyone else's business, it's very unfair to judge someone for doing so.

J

Johnjo

Being privileged is living up in the mountains, fishing in a small stream, going hunting, bringing some shine for good luck, driving your own truck, Bocephus singing “A Country Boy Can Survive” while you’re driving a little bit too fast.

That’s being privileged

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Swap out Bocephus for Terry Terrell singing "He still parts the Red Sea for me" and you got yourself a deal! :cool:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
In regards to the thread title, I wouldn't know.
Being privileged is living up in the mountains, fishing in a small stream, going hunting, bringing some shine for good luck, driving your own truck, Bocephus singing “A Country Boy Can Survive” while you’re driving a little bit too fast.

That’s being privileged
Hopefully, I will be living up in the mountains soon.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Two thoughts:

1) It seems to be those with a victim mentality who mainly talk about people being privileged. The rest of us know that long term success is more hard work than luck or privilege (and that being rich does not equal being happy or enjoying life).

2) An ancient and obscure song that I've loved for years (and I swear it used to be on youtube but now I can't find it in search so lyrics from memory as best I can remember them).

(I forget the first line)
Saw the cab go by
When an old man caught my eye
The sight left me standing disturbed

In his bare feet and worn out clothes
He was kneeling in the alleyway
There were tears in his eyes
I thought I'd hear a lonely cry
But I shivered when I heard him pray

Be with the unknown needy
Who are lost in what they own
The homeless in fine houses
The cold in their warm clothes
And help the unknown needy
May they see the truth
And may they find the wealth I've found in you

Now people have said that prayer is for the poor
Who cannot get through life on their own
But that old man showed me
There are needy we can't see
Who's needs lie deep in their souls

Be with the unknown needy
Who are lost in what they own
The homeless in fine houses
The cold in their warm clothes
And help the unknown needy
May they see the truth
And may they find the wealth I've found in you

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
What is it like to be privileged? being materially privileged I guess 🤔 it is wonderful 🤣 ahhh I wish I could live a life like that even just for a week 😂

I am working with rich people...people who drive luxury cars, own apartments and many other businesses. People who dine outside and spend thousands just for a few fancy dishes 😁

They live in a big big house while My house is like half of their kitchen only

I have no car...they got plenty

They shop in one day equivalent to my 1 year salary 😁

Luxury shops are like grocery stores for them

Me the only time I went to a luxury shop was when I asked a lady salesperson inside, about directions because I got lost looking for my friend. That was my first and only 😅

They travel abroad 2-4 times in a month while I only travel back home every after a year or 2 😅. I traveled outside my country to work not for leisure 😂 while they travel for leisure...to play golf,to shop and to see their equally wealthy friends.

They ate,played, sat beside and shook hands with the rich and famous

While, I can only shook the cordon 😂

That's how and what it is like to be privileged materially/financially...

But I heard their stories...they worked hard to get the things they enjoy right now...they got stories of hard work and patience and determination...The got stories of risking what they got...Stories of shorter to little sleep evenings because they worked before the sun rose and worked until they finished their tasks not caring about the time.

I think it is nice...who doesn't want a life like that....where money is not a problem...no one I guess...

But hey! there's one thing I won't exchange with any material or financial privilege this material world... Can give... It is the privilege of being a child of God I got it free 😭 HIS glorious grace is freely given to me 😭 it is beyond wonderful beyond amazing! I may look worn out bruised I may be crawling right now just to make it through but I am still alive...i have Jesus my Father my hope. And whatever this world throws at me I know that God is with me. ❤