What is the meaning of Hebrews 4?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Besides missing the point some may miss the boat as well.
I think confusion is used as a DISTRACTION. (As Satan ofyen comes as) so people WONT see the bigger picture of whats important

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Sin may be easy, but God calls it work, that is why he said that they are workers of iniquity. and the wages of such is death. ,meaning paid .
"Workers if iniquity" means sinners..not necissarily always making a concious effort to commit sin...and anyone who doesnt ask forgivenes or repent will die a spiritual death since sin seperates us from God

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
@Shamah....are you a Jew and Jewish? (Yes or no answer..not a 2 pages long answer)

Jul 23, 2018
And i disagree, i still do work iniquity when i sin, what i have been freed from is the law which cursed me, and told me i have to live his way or else, an impossible task i could never attain. (Ps, god also asks us to do works of righteousness, so think about hw he uses the word work in those areas? Did god tell us to rest from doing works of righteosunsess? Using your reasoning?

why would God say he offers us rest, then place us right back under law. That makes no sense.
Man o man.
I am several pages into this thread trying to see where the op is going and i see so many redidulous concepts being flung around like mad.
You and many others have such disgust for " the law".
Wow, this is bizarre. The new covenant EMPOWERS US TO KEEP his commamdments. Not throw them out.
Do a study. It is basic bible 101

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Man o man.
I am several pages into this thread trying to see where the op is going and i see so many redidulous concepts being flung around like mad.
Wow, this is bizarre. The new covenant EMPOWERS US TO KEEP his commamdments. Not throw them out.
In the OT there were 10 basic commands..after Jesus death. There are NEW ones..and more than 10..and yes EMPOWERS us to keep but not base our Biblical beliefs on...

Mar 28, 2016
I would offer the key to understanding that section is on how we define "mixing faith". Seeing those who did not mix faith do not hear the gospel. Mixing faith is believing God not seen called the hearing of faith, this is not of our own selves but is the gift of God giving us ear to hear what the Spirt is saying to the churches.

There are two kinds of Sabbaths . One set aside as a ceremonial law (shadow) as a fast, by which we cannot judge one another with .

This is weekly fast set aside from our regular work by which we can bring the gospel out unto the world as the kind of fast that can drive out demons which the disciples could not cast out (Mark 9:27-29) if the Holy Spirit applies his gospel to the heart of natural unconverted man . this is seeing we can plant the seed and water it. But God alone can cause the growth if any .

The true fast according to parable in Isiah 58 hiding the spiritual understanding from the lost

loosing the bands of wickedness (driving out demons, again which the disciple could not). To make light the burdens of this world being yoked with Christ. Freeing us from the bondage of sin. Giving others our daily bread, the gospel to those who hunger and thirst for the hearing of word of God. Hoping as a living hope the gospel will bring them into fellowship with the believer. Covering them with the righteousness of Christ as a imputed righteousness. to bring the gospel to those in whom we are familiar with. Then the righteous imputed to us will go before us and as a representative glory of God not seen his glory will be shown.

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward. Isaiah 58:6-8

The sabbath rest in Hebrews 4 is not ceremonial in nature , But is as our daily bread(as long as today is today) as a "law of faith" (not a theory of faith) . Every time the Holy Spirit brings the things he has taught us to our mind if we do not deny him in unbelief (no faith) but rather beleive our hearts will be come softened .

Those who do not mix faith (beleive God) in what they hear, their hearts remain hard and do not receive the sabbath rest (softened heart ).

A interesting portion of scripture that I believe does relate the sabbath rest we receive when the Holy Spirit performs the work of softening our hearts..... as those who do beleive God (mix faith)

My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food. But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.Therefore am I troubled at his presence: when I consider, I am afraid of him.For God maketh my "heart soft", and the Almighty troubleth me: Because I was not cut off before the darkness, neither hath he covered the darkness from my face. Job 23: 11-17

Jul 23, 2018
Leviticus 25 New International Version (NIV)
The Sabbath Year
25 The Lord said to Moses at Mount Sinai, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘When you enter the land I am going to give you, the land itself must observe a sabbath to the Lord. 3 For six years sow your fields, and for six years prune your vineyards and gather their crops. 4 But in the seventh year the land is to have a year of sabbath rest, a sabbath to the Lord. Do not sow your fields or prune your vineyards. 5 Do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the grapes of your untended vines. The land is to have a year of rest

You stand corrected for this shows that the word "Sabbath rest" doesn't just refer to the seventh day of the week.
Jesus said man was not created for the sabboth, but the sabboth for man.
I believe you are taking the concept out of the intended realm of the op.
You only demonstrated a parallel

Jul 23, 2018
In the OT there were 10 basic commands..after Jesus death. There are NEW ones..and more than 10..and yes EMPOWERS us to keep but not base our Biblical beliefs on...
The word says the failure of the law was man and that the law was perfect.
The law revealed sin.
Yes there are others. In fact all of us have broken the comandments of omission.
The lack of understanding of the fundamentals of 2 covenants is amazing.
It is a lack of study big time.

Jul 23, 2018
the true Sabbath is only in the Messiah I agree, however it starts in the Sabbath millenium...

The MEssiah was born on the 4th millenium, the sun was created in the 4th day... then:

Hosheyah 6:1-3, “Come, and let us turn back to יהוה. For He has torn but He does heal us, He has stricken but He binds us up. After two days He shall revive us, on the third day He shall raise us up, so that we live before Him. So let us know, let us pursue to know יהוה. His going forth is as certain as the morning. And He comes to us like the rain, like the latter rain watering the earth.”

"After two days He shall revive us, on the third day He shall raise us up"

4+3=7...

the 7th "day"

2 Peter 3:8, “But, beloved ones, let not this one matter be hidden from you: that with יהוה one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”

Is this:

Rev 20:4-6, "And I saw thrones – and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them – and the lives of those who had been beheaded because of the witness they bore to יהושע and because of the Word of Ylohim, and who did not worship the beast, nor his image, and did not receive his mark upon their foreheads or upon their hands. And they lived and reigned with Messiah for a thousand years and the rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended) – this is the first resurrection. Blessed and set-apart is the one having part in the first resurrection. The second death possesses no authority over these, but they shall be priests of YHWH and of Messiah, and shall reign with Him a thousand years."
Ok you finally showed your hand.
No,you are wrong. Jesus is the sabboth day rest.
That is one of the reasons he went around "breaking" their law.
Take a look at his trial. They accused him of breaking the sabboth.
A capitol offence.
The sabboth day is now a person,not a day

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
The word says the failure of the law was man and that the law was perfect.
The law revealed sin.
Yes there are others. In fact all of us have broken the comandments of omission.
The lack of understanding of the fundamentals of 2 covenants is amazing.
It is a lack of study big time.
Jesus being the "law" it refered to..thats my point..Jesus..the law of the NT broke or fufilled the law of the OT..

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
@Absolutely..boy you just came in with 1 fell swoop to tell everyone thier wrong..lol must have had some strong coffee today. :)

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
Ok you finally showed your hand.
No,you are wrong. Jesus is the sabboth day rest.
That is one of the reasons he went around "breaking" their law.
Take a look at his trial. They accused him of breaking the sabboth.
A capitol offence.
The sabboth day is now a person,not a day
And THATS the difference between OT and NT law...sabbeth= literal time frame Sabbeth NT =Jesus/person...

Jul 23, 2018
How can you write all this when you dont even believe in the plan of salvation and you believe that God only loves the saved and only SHOWS his love to the saved by chastening them.. Not that God loves all..sent Jesus for ALL to ALL might come to Him and not perish...yeah..remember THAT thread too...yoire doing the same thing here..you have your own preconcieved agenda :/ NOT COOL!
" mercy triumps over judgement"
Jesus said love is the greatest commandment.
God told David " i will love your son soloman,i will show him mercy. I will not judge him and cast him out as I did saul" (my paraphase)
Sure enough,when Saul blew it, God invoked that very covenant for Solomon's continuance.
In the end we invoke the blood,not performance.
If we love him deeply and then sin,it will break our hearts.
That is the very heart of the matter

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Man o man.
How can this new covenant empower anyone to do anything, isn't that up to the individual to decide not to sin, and this only by the grace of God? I certainly do believe that the 10 commandments are still in effect and that Jesus summed in up in 2 commandments. Without the law there would be no basis for a sin to be committed but a born again believer should not live in fear of losing salvation and focus intently on not committing a sin but rather should focus instead on becoming a humble servant of the Lord. If you are serving God then you are not sinning. A person that just focuses exclusively on not sinning cannot be an effective productive servant as no one really benefits when someone doesn't sin except for not being harmed if such a sin is committed. Just because you don't understand how someone believes spiritually does not necessarily mean that the many others have disgust for the 'law' whatever that is.

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
@Absolutely..so there were a LOT of literal things in the OT that Jesus made "personal" in the NT by His death..no WONDER people were confused..for years they had bern taught and obeyed certain things and Jesus put the kabosh on it all and made it "person form" because His deathe fufilled all the prophecy of the OT...hence no need for animal sacrifices etc...? Yes?

Jewel5712

Jun 22, 2018
How can this new covenant empower anyone to do anything, isn't that up to the individual to decide not to sin, and this only by the grace of God? I certainly do believe that the 10 commandments are still in effect and that Jesus summed in up in 2 commandments. Without the law there would be no basis for a sin to be committed but a born again believer should not live in fear of losing salvation and focus intently on not committing a sin but rather should focus instead on becoming a humble servant of the Lord. If you are serving God then you are not sinning. A person that just focuses exclusively on not sinning cannot be an effective productive servant as no one really benefits when someone doesn't sin except for not being harmed if such a sin is committed. Just because you don't understand how someone believes spiritually does not necessarily mean that the many others have disgust for the 'law' whatever that is.
If im understanding him right.."empowerment" was given through Jesus and the plan of salvation where in the OT that wasnt fufilled yet? I dont know...