G
Although I voted for "good character", I'm struggling a bit with this one from both a Biblical and personal perspective.
For example, after their exodus from Egypt, God entered into a covenant with the nation of Israel at Mt. Sinai which was likened to a marriage covenant:
Jeremiah chapter 31
[31] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
[32] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
[33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
[34] And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD; for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
Had Israel shown "good character" up to that point in time?
No, they had not.
In fact, God considered wiping them all out while they were still in Egypt:
Ezekiel chapter 20
[1] And it came to pass in the seventh year, in the fifth month, the tenth day of the month, that certain of the elders of Israel came to inquire of the LORD, and sat before me.
[2] Then came the word of the LORD unto me, saying,
[3] Son of man, speak unto the elders of Israel, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Are ye come to inquire of me? As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I will not be inquired of by you.
[4] Wilt thou judge them, son of man, wilt thou judge them? cause them to know the abominations of their fathers:
[5] And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day when I chose Israel, and lifted up mine hand unto the seed of the house of Jacob, and made myself known unto them in the land of Egypt, when I lifted up mine hand unto them, saying, I am the LORD your God;
[6] In the day that I lifted up mine hand unto them, to bring them forth of the land of Egypt into a land that I had espied for them, flowing with milk and honey, which is the glory of all lands:
[7] Then said I unto them, Cast ye away every man the abominations of his eyes, and defile not yourselves with the idols of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
[8] But they rebelled against me, and would not hearken unto me: they did not every man cast away the abominations of their eyes, neither did they forsake the idols of Egypt: then I said, I will pour out my fury upon them to accomplish my anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt.
[9] But I wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted before the heathen, among whom they were, in whose sight I made myself known unto them, in bringing them forth out of the land of Egypt.
[10] Wherefore I caused them to go forth out of the land of Egypt, and brought them into the wilderness.
Of course, God eventually did overthrow, IN HIS WRATH, 603,548 of the 603,550 Israelite men who came out of Egypt who were 20 years old and upward, and Israel has mostly played the harlot or whore against God since her inception.
With such being the case, it's hard for me to say that God chose Israel because of her "good character" because, throughout most of her history, she's basically displayed none.
When it comes to God, he seems to be totally motivated by his own love regardless of the character or attributes of the ones he is seeking to bestow the same upon.
I've testified about my own failed marriage multiple times here in the past, and, suffice it to say, my marriage greatly mirrored God's marriage to Israel, so, again, it's hard for me to say that "good character" in a woman is a prerequisite for a man to marry a wife.
When it comes to marriage, it may just be that the onus is primarily upon the man to love his wife...even if the same is never reciprocated.
That said, it would be nice to find a truly virtuous woman (Proverbs 31:10).
In all honesty, I was not only a sworn eunuch for the kingdom of heaven's sake before the Lord told me to marry my now ex-wife, but she was also the type of woman that I would have never chosen to marry myself. I knew her from the Bible studies that I was teaching and she was attending, and although I saw some good fruit in her, I also saw plenty of things that basically told me to run away from such a woman. That said, I'm beyond certain that God joined us together, and I'm also beyond certain as to why our marriage ultimately failed.
If yall don't mind, I'd like to add my .02 worth to the conversation... It's some O/T and some Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Jeremiah 29:3-7
The letter was sent by the hand of Elasah the son of Shaphan and Gemariah the son of Hilkiah, whom Zedekiah king of Judah sent to Babylon to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. It said: 4 “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: 5 Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. 6 Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. 7 But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.
and then there is this to consider...
Lynyrd Skynyrd ...
"Mama told me,
When I was young,
"Come sit beside me,
My only son,
And listen closely,
To what I say.
And if you do this, it'll help you some sunny day, oh, yeah.
"Oh, take your time,
Don't live too fast.
Troubles will come,
And they will pass.
Go find a woman,
And you'll find love.
And don't forget, son, there is someone up above.
"And be a simple kind of man.
Oh, be somethin' you love and understand.
Baby, be a simple kind of man.
Oh, won't you do this for me son, if you can?" ..
Sincerely,
RB
I find that many guys who say that are not an example of a truly virtuous man.
If there was an option for what Seoulsearch said - a willingness to trust and obey Gods will, then Id choose that.
It is specific in the intention towards God. The others are about yourself really and dont compare imo.
The poll did not give a choice of 'showing Christian virtues'
Dont know about todays world , 60 or so years ago young women went to Bible colleges to "study" for a husband. For my grandsons accepting the fact, no one truly knows another's heart . I would pray for modest girl, yet willing to speak her mind. One lives with her parents as to honor God. In looking at what we can see, one who makes Godly things like church and family the top of her list . A girl who is willing to accept the headship of Church and husband. Would not hurt if she is prettywell well i just described my grand daughter in law !
Well its like what you said about being "nice"Shots fired.![]()
'Good character' is about 'godly character' or 'godliness' and sums up that area. Good character here isn't about one's personal accomplishments around their personality or likeability.
Not that it really matters anymore in my own life, but "attractive", as in outwardly attractive, was never a big issue with me. In fact, I was always attracted more to the average looking woman. That said, there are certain inner attributes which I've always found extremely attractive in a woman, but, alas, when I think that I've found the same, then the woman is either already taken or just a good actress.
(The bear turns, sits down on the ground, and opens a jar of honey to solace himself)
I havent been through them all but theres still time lol
See most people dont equate good character with godly character. Now that you explained it...Its still a good thing that we are looking to find God in your options although our definitions are different
![]()
To clarify I saw good and godly as two separate things. I thought godly was something to strive for but we can never be at God level. So when I hear someone is good and I havent seen it for myself its just meh. I had been told that good works (from a good character) alone does not get you into heaven. So how can good be what is godly? Theres always the argument is good inherent? How can a society that doesnt know God have good character? If good only comes from God?I get it. What would you call 'good character' that isn't 'godly character'?
Sometimes, my meanings or definitions are broad or can seem contradictory. Eg. I believe that all truly 'good' character is godly and that there's no good character that isn't godly. However, Cornelius was a Roman centurion in the Bible who did not yet know Jesus but who was still godly. That is because people can be 'godly' (I didn't say 'saved') and not know God because all people have God's Nature (not the Christ Nature, which is different) inside them.
Do you have any examples of 'good character' traits that are not godly?
sorry it was a poorly thought out joke which nobody gotLord, she needs saving.
Ive never heard of Gods Nature and Christ Nature. Why are they not the same thing?I get it. What would you call 'good character' that isn't 'godly character'?
Sometimes, my meanings or definitions are broad or can seem contradictory. Eg. I believe that all truly 'good' character is godly and that there's no good character that isn't godly. However, Cornelius was a Roman centurion in the Bible who did not yet know Jesus but who was still godly. That is because people can be 'godly' (I didn't say 'saved') and not know God because all people have God's Nature (not the Christ Nature, which is different) inside them.
Do you have any examples of 'good character' traits that are not godly?
I'm a very open and honest man, so I'm definitely not trying to evade the first part of this question. It's just that there are so many different variables involved in the correct answer to this question that it might literally take me a lifetime to properly answer this. If I had to try to sum it up in a short statement, then I'd say that God is much more concerned about our eternal destinies than he is about us experiencing a "comfortable ride" during this temporal life. In other words, in order to properly prepare us for eternity, God will oftentimes need to deal directly and even severely with our hearts. Sometimes those dealings will come in the form of healings and deliverances, and other times those dealings will come in the form of rebukes and corrections. Without going into any specific details at the moment, I can honestly say that God sought to deal with both me and my ex in both of these areas on a daily basis in order to properly prepare us for the world to come.Why did God join you together, and why did the marriage fail?
This part of your question is much easier to answer.Why did God join you together, and why did the marriage fail?
This is pretty hard to explain in words (but I understand it in my heart), but I'll try (and probably fail terribly in properly explaining it).Which inner attributes do you find attractive in a woman?
I'm finding them just by living my life in this world daily. Sometimes I might find such a woman while at work, or on social media, or even right here on this website (I've privately interacted with quite a few women here).And, if you want to talk about it, where are you finding the women who are taken or acting?

Well, I'll probably get some more "fan mail" (yeah, that was sarcasm) for what I'm about to say because some people seem to have the "gift" of misconstruing everything that I say and actually mean, but here goes:This is how I rate the three foundational facets of a woman by importance but not necessarily in order of importance:
1.) Attractiveness: 20% importance.
2.) Femininity: 40% importance.
3.) Character: 40% importance.
To clarify I saw good and godly as two separate things. I thought godly was something to strive for but we can never be at God level. So when I hear someone is good and I havent seen it for myself its just meh. I had been told that good works (from a good character) alone does not get you into heaven. So how can good be what is godly? Theres always the argument is good inherent? How can a society that doesnt know God have good character? If good only comes from God?
sorry it was a poorly thought out joke which nobody got![]()