What method do you use to approach the bible ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I have no idea what you mean by "post-modern".

In the case of a parable or metaphor, whose opinion is the one correct interpretation? Observing that there are more than one interpretations that are consistent with scripture is not "post-modern." For each interpretations, people will feel compelled differently.

I don't agree with your analysis of 1 Cor 11:19

Let's look at the TPT:

"I’ve been told many times that when you meet as a congregation, divisions and cliques emerge—and to some extent, this doesn’t surprise me. Differences of opinion are unavoidable, yet they will reveal which ones among you truly have God’s approval.[a] When all of your house churches[b] gather as one church family, you are not really properly celebrating the Lord’s Supper.[c]" - 1 Cor 11:18-20 TPT

Footnotes
  1. 11:19 Differences of opinion between believers expose our hearts. Mature ones will overlook offenses and faults in order to maintain the precious unity of the body of Christ. Immature ones will cause splits, divisions, and cliques around their respective opinions. The ones whom God approves are those whose hearts remain pure in spite of petty differences.
  2. 11:20 Implied both in the text and by the cultural context of the day.
  3. 11:20 Paul is implying that it is the Lord’s Supper, not merely a meal for favored ones. Jesus is hosting the meal for the benefit of all every time we gather for communion.
Okay, I've looked at it. What is it supposed to say?

Jan 14, 2021
Okay, I've looked at it. What is it supposed to say?
The TPT footnote speaks to their interpretation:

"Differences of opinion between believers expose our hearts. Mature ones will overlook offenses and faults in order to maintain the precious unity of the body of Christ. Immature ones will cause splits, divisions, and cliques around their respective opinions. The ones whom God approves are those whose hearts remain pure in spite of petty differences."

The TPT interpretation focuses more on the importance of community and harmony rather than on the importance of having the correct answer.

Jun 30, 2021
I make Galatians my authority because it is the founding document of Christianity and it tells me to.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
When i was going through the process of becoming a Christian, I read the Bible like one would read a book.. before reading sessions i would ask God to help me understand what i was reading..

I would encourage everyone to use the same method at lest once in their life time..

The Bible is not a collection of verses.. It is a collection of Books and Letters that should be read as Books and letters in context..

Apr 12, 2021
This seems to be the issue with many 'differences ' . What method are we using ? This is key . Are we seeing even basic reading comprehension fly out the window and 'mystical ' ethereal ' , approaches being adopted instead ? which is the best approach ,and why ?
Thoughts?
The Bible is literal, metaphorical, and allegorical, but not entirely one or the other.

Where the Bible is to be understood literally, use a literal approach.

God's word also uses metaphors to describe realities, such as: "I am the door." Jesus is not saying he is a 3x7 foot oak door on hinges, but that he is whom all must go to to get through to heaven.

Jesus used parables as allegories to describe realities about the Kingdom of God, repentance, who is saved, etc.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The TPT interpretation focuses more on the importance of community and harmony rather than on the importance of having the correct answer.
I agree we should bear with one another and not be puffed up with pride in our knowledge. That doesn't negate the fact that there is a right and a wrong. However, those with a more correct understanding shouldn't quibble over trivial matters.

Post-modernism will have none of this though. Anyone who says they have a more "correct" understanding will be dismissed as old fashioned and stupid.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
The TPT footnote speaks to their interpretation:

"Differences of opinion between believers expose our hearts. Mature ones will overlook offenses and faults in order to maintain the precious unity of the body of Christ. Immature ones will cause splits, divisions, and cliques around their respective opinions. The ones whom God approves are those whose hearts remain pure in spite of petty differences."

So, the Bible should focus on "Can't we just get along" instead of informing its readers of the truth? The Word of God is the correct answer to man's problems, containing the Gospel of Christ, as well as tons of moral living truths.

BTW, the TPT isn't a translation of the Scriptures & has added phrases that's nowhere in the Greek or Hebrew text.
Newer "versions" of scripture should never be blindly trusted as accurate. They are to be "proven" to be accurate, and exposed when they're not.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
The trick is making the time to study and then let the bible interpret itself.

Who is speaking to whom?

What is the occasion ?

What is the subject?

Jun 30, 2021
Galatians 1:9 says everything contrary to it is cursed

I thus accept and reject based on it

If this is wrong and other methods are better then rip out this book from your bible

Jan 14, 2021
I agree we should bear with one another and not be puffed up with pride in our knowledge. That doesn't negate the fact that there is a right and a wrong. However, those with a more correct understanding shouldn't quibble over trivial matters.

Post-modernism will have none of this though. Anyone who says they have a more "correct" understanding will be dismissed as old fashioned and stupid.
Aside from a direct divine revelation, how does one proceed to determine the most correct answer if not by testing interpretations against scripture?

Jan 14, 2021
So, the Bible should focus on "Can't we just get along" instead of informing its readers of the truth? The Word of God is the correct answer to man's problems, containing the Gospel of Christ, as well as tons of moral living truths.
The main takeaway should be that there are multiple interpretations of the passage. The first interpretation presented was not a necessary interpretation. I happen to find the TPT interpretation more compelling than the one that was mentioned in this thread.

If I made an assumption that something was necessarily true when it wasn't, I would want someone to correct me too. I would rather be proven wrong so that I can be more correct in future.

BTW, the TPT isn't a translation of the Scriptures & has added phrases that's nowhere in the Greek or Hebrew text.
Newer "versions" of scripture should never be blindly trusted as accurate. They are to be "proven" to be accurate, and exposed when they're not.
I believe I correctly called TPT an interpretation. If you read their mission statement, they say as much. They attempt to bring scripture into a readily understandable parlance because of differences in cultural nuances between then and now. An example is in the parable of the talents they translate it as "a million dollars". It is similar to listening to a sermon in some cases, and the footnotes give insight into the translators' reasoning and references to source material. Even they don't think their work is perfect as they have made revisions to their works. By all means, take TPT with a grain of salt, but it has its uses. I don't agree with everything TPT says, but it adds perspective that may help lead to what someone finds to be the most compelling answer.

Picking on TPT is beside the point, either the interpretation of that passage stands on its own merits or it doesn't.

Jan 14, 2021
Galatians 1:9 says everything contrary to it is cursed

I thus accept and reject based on it

If this is wrong and other methods are better then rip out this book from your bible
Interestingly, curses aren't always a bad thing:

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:" - Galatians 3:13 KJV

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
which is the best approach ,and why ?
1. The Bible is to be read and studied in its plain literal sense, as much as possible (95-99% of the time). That does not mean that there are no layers of deeper and spiritual meanings which may also be noted.

2. There are also metaphors, figures of speech, proverbs, parables, symbols, and types, which need to be recognized, based upon Gospel truth and Bible truth.

3. The meaning of some words may not be perfectly clear unless one consults a concordance or lexicon, and also takes the context into account. A text without context is a pretext. Also certain concepts, such as justification by grace through faith, are not common to human understanding. They are believed by faith.

4. Readers need to understand that there is a continuity from Genesis to Revelation. At the same time the Bible is not a textbook of theology, and not everything is stated explicitly. Many things are implied and must be spiritually discerned.

5. Doctrines must be established by comparing Scriptures with Scriptures, while keeping in mind the character of God and Christ, and Gospel truth throughout. At the same time we are commanded to be doers of the Word and not hearers only.

6. Those who are relatively new to the Bible should try and learn rather than expound their own ideas, particularly in the area of eschatology (Bible prophecy). Prophecies are a critical part of divine revelation.

7. Christ is the heart and soul of the Bible, so one must look for Him in the most unlikely passages. Many Bible characters are "types" of Christ.

8. Prior commitment to the teachings of certain denominations or teachers should not be allowed to interfere with what is actually revealed in the Bible. The traditions of theologians and denominations often undermine the truth.

9. Words, (even singularity or plurality) can establish truth. So words must be treated with respect. And that is why the King James Bible should be the sole Bible to rely upon (using as many Bible study tools as necessary e.g. Bible Hub).
Many modern translations have played fast and loose with words, as if they do not matter. Therefore meanings and even doctrines have been changed.

10. The Bible is a divine revelation and a spiritual book. Therefore it can only be comprehended with the assistance of the Holy Spirit, who gave the words, and actually selected them in the original manuscripts. And without the New Birth, no one can see or enter into the Kingdom of God.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I approached the bible by studying the new testament, putting as much of it to memory as I could. I was told Christ made a change, so it was silly to learn how it was before Christ when Christ told us how it was now.

Someone insisted that was a backward way to approach scripture, I should try approaching it from the standpoint of learning the Torah so I knew the God that scripture told us about. I spent several intense years studying Torah and at the same time how the Torah was fulfilled in the new testament. It was absolutely wonderful.

Now I study scripture through a concordance, exploring all scripture has to say about any one subject like love, salvation, works, rewards, grace, etc.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
My method is to read the Bible from beginning to end, a page at a time.
I use a bookmark if I lose my place.

I look at the words. I read silently in my head.

pretty simple really. I think about what God is saying in the scripture as I read.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

pretty simple really. I think about what God is saying in the scripture as I read.
I read the bible from beginning to end too.

Pengwyn

Jun 16, 2021
I read it with the sunday class I go to, but also from start to end on my own!
Even before becoming a member of the faith, I valued the bible, as with any other religious text, because it does provide a view into the past. The culture etc.

When reading start to end on my own, i go very slowly, because I am reading it in multiple languages. I go over any differences, and I meditate on the passages, and try to take a lesson from everything I read. I write my thoughts down in a notebook immediately after.
When I go into bible study then, I also like to hear others takes on what they believe should be taken from it. If I feel like I've missed the point, or lost touch with the point, I like to go back to it, until I feel like I've understood it. Since I'm really new, its nice to have people who have been understanding and reading for years, whereas i have only been doing it for a small bit.

Apr 12, 2021

That's a perfectly efficient method. 👍

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
This seems to be the issue with many 'differences ' . What method are we using ? This is key . Are we seeing even basic reading comprehension fly out the window and 'mystical ' ethereal ' , approaches being adopted instead ? which is the best approach ,and why ?
Thoughts?
Precious friends, I read through God's Precious Word at least
once a year. Half of it I read backwards, making it interesting
the new things I "see" doing so. {knowing "the end" first?}

Deep "study" is an entirely Different matter, using:

(1) “Let ALL things be done Decently and In Order!”
(
1 Corinthians 14:40 KJB!)

(2) Study ALL Scripture Rightly Divided! :

Study to shew thyself Approved unto God, a workman that
needeth not to be ashamed, Rightly Dividing The Word Of Truth!”
(
2 Timothy 2:15 KJB!)

(3) Never Ever add to, Or take away From, God’s PURE And Holy Word!
{ Including "God's Contexts!,"
[Prophecy] Rightly Divided from [MYSTERY]! }
(
Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32; Proverbs 30:5-6; Revelation 22:18,19 KJB!)

(4) Be noble students :

These (in Berea) were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in
that they received The Word with all readiness of mind, and
searched The Scriptures daily, Whether Those Things Were So!”
(
Acts 17:11 KJB!)

(5) Build Sound Doctrine, God’s Way! :

(5a) “For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept;
line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little!”
(
Isaiah 28:10 KJB!)

(5b) Find ALL Related Scriptures For A Specific doctrine! :

ALL Scripture Is Given By Inspiration Of God, And Is
Profitable For Doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for
instruction in righteousness : that the man of God may
be perfect, throughly furnished unto ALL good works!”
(
2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJB!)

(5c) Compare ALL Related Scriptures to learn and know a
Specific doctrine! :

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s
wisdom teacheth, but Which The Holy Ghost Teacheth;
comparing spiritual things with spiritual!”
(
1 Corinthians 2:13 KJB!)
{Comparing Scripture With Scripture!}

Simplicity” in CHRIST! (2 Corinthians 11:3 KJB!) Amen?

(6) The Best "Interpretive" Commentary On The Bible Is :
The BIBLE Itself!

NEVER ever interpret The Many Plain Scriptures
by the "few" difficult verses, But, ALWAYS Always
Interpret
the few Obscure/Difficult/Dubious verses
By ALL Of The MANY Plain and Clear Passages Of
God’s Pure And Holy Word!
+
ONE Final Excellent Rule for Knowledgeable Bible study! :

(7) In order to Honor The Father And The SON (John 5:22-23 KJB!),
in Preparation For Judgment, Always keep {Uppermost} in mind :

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do,
do ALL to The Glory Of God!” (
1 Corinthians 10:31 KJB!)
-----------------------------------
And then we ALL, who are "Called Into Fellowship With
God's SON, The LORD JESUS CHRIST" (
1 Corinthians 1:9 KJB!), And,

"Endeavouring For The Unity Of God's Spirit In The Bond Of
PEACE!..." (
Ephesians 4:3 KJB!), can obey God's Exhortations! :

...speak...the things which become Sound Doctrine!”
(
Titus 2:1 cp "SAME mind And judgment!" 1 Corinthians 1:10 KJB!)
Amen?

Would the Results of following All of God’s Rules Above Be:

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in
love, and unto all Riches of the Full Assurance Of Understanding,
to the acknowledgement of The Mystery Of God, and of the Father,
and of CHRIST!” (
Colossians 2:2 KJB!)?
---------------------

Precious friend(s), Please Be Very RICHLY Blessed!

Apr 12, 2021
Method? Seated, preferably, but not too comfortably. Just enough so that my spine is aptly supported and enough that I will not think it a fine place to nap. Though if I did nap, it would aptly be while meditating in my Lord's words. ❤