"What must I do to be saved", what did Jesus mean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 13, 2019
When the rich man came to Jesus and asked, "what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"

Why was the answer to salvation:
- Keep the commandments
- Follow Jesus

Also, when Jesus visited Zacchaeus and he repented. Jesus said, "today salvation has come to this house".
Why was the answer essentially, "keep the commandments", in response to salvation.

Not an acceptable answer: they were Jewish and had a different means to salvation.

Why? Because before Jesus died on the cross, he gave different answers to Nicodemus and His disciples (also Jewish).
Which were:
- "No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit"
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you."

Why are the answers to salvation inconsistent, unless they are all synonymous or expressed in different ways.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
- "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you."

Why are the answers to salvation inconsistent, unless they are all synonymous or expressed in different ways.
great questions i wish i could answer you but i will look and hope someone else knows how to answer good

i especially care about that verse that suggest you need to have eucharist for eternal life.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you."

i think the answers are different maybe because all these like eucharist, baptism, obedience, belief, are part of christian day to day life so maybe thats why its mentioned all of them.
in acts 2:38 faith isnt even mentioned but we know st.peter didnt just forget faith, he knew faith saves. just didnt say it there.

my honest answer i dont know i hope someone does and can tell us. @Nehemiah6 im looking at u

Jan 12, 2019
When the rich man came to Jesus and asked, "what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"

- Keep the commandments
- Follow Jesus

Also, when Jesus visited Zacchaeus and he repented. Jesus said, "today salvation has come to this house".
Why was the answer essentially, "keep the commandments", in response to salvation.

Not an acceptable answer: they were Jewish and had a different means to salvation.

Why? Because before Jesus died on the cross, he gave different answers to Nicodemus and His disciples (also Jewish).
Which were:
- "No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit"

Ephesians 2 have the answer.

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

The key is to recognize the difference between the 2 time periods

In time past: Gentiles could only be saved as a Jew, meaning they have to be willing to be circumcised and under the Law of Moses (Exodus 12:48). There was no other way a Gentile can be saved.

But now: Both Jews and Gentiles can be saved, by believing in Jesus's death burial and resurrection. Both Jews and Gentiles are equal under the Body of Christ.

Jan 12, 2019
Which were:
You are making an argument from silence here. Just because Jesus did not mention the Law, it does not mean he is saying that believing in him is sufficient for salvation.

He is saying what are the necessary conditions for salvation in the above verses, which does not contradict what he said to the expert in the Law in Luke 10:25-28

Similarly, one should not use John 3:16 to make an argument that obedience to the Law was not necessary for salvation. Jesus was only preaching to the Jews then, and they all follow the Law. They also needed to believe that Jesus was their Promised Messiah, in order to complete their salvation process.

Oct 13, 2019

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

In time past: Gentiles could only be saved as a Jew, meaning they have to be willing to be circumcised and under the Law of Moses (Exodus 12:48). There was no other way a Gentile can be saved.

But now: Both Jews and Gentiles can be saved, by believing in Jesus's death burial and resurrection. Both Jews and Gentiles are equal under the Body of Christ.
Those were in the same time period.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

That doesn't answer the question, because the people named in the OP's examples are all Jews, not Gentiles.

Oct 13, 2019
Can you elaborate on what you mean?
Within the same generation, probably 2-3 years, Jesus gave different answers to the same question, to the same people.

Saying, "Jesus didn't give them the full answer", is a pretty weak argument.

Jan 12, 2019
That doesn't answer the question, because the people named in the OP's examples are all Jews, not Gentiles.
I already answered that everyone needed to follow the law of Moses in time past, which includes the time period of the 4 gospels

Jan 12, 2019
Within the same generation, probably 2-3 years, Jesus gave different answers to the same question, to the same people.

Saying, "Jesus didn't give them the full answer", is a pretty weak argument.
Why is it weak?

People only read Paul into the 4 gospels, that is how they manage to conclude that obedience to the law was not necessary in those passages you used.

But it’s an argument from silence.

Jesus himself clarified in Matthew 5 that the law remains during the entire time he was in the flesh, so it’s not even arguing from silence

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Life is Blood, and Bread is the Body.

We can have no eternal life unless we live on His, and we are malnourished if we do not eat the Bread fro Heaven..(Malnourished unto death.)

Oct 13, 2019
Why is it weak?

People only read Paul into the 4 gospels, that is how they manage to conclude that obedience to the law was not necessary in those passages you used.

But it’s an argument from silence.

Jesus himself clarified in Matthew 5 that the law remains during the entire time he was in the flesh, so it’s not even arguing from silence
I think you keep missing that Jesus gave multiple different answers, to the same people, within the same generation.
Jesus talked about faith, obedience, baptism of Holy Spirit and water, keeping the commandments, etc.

But when asked specifically, "how do I get saved", the answer was more consistently: keep the commandments.
We also have to ask, if Jesus came to create a new covenant, why would He re-teach the old one in His time on earth? He didn't. He brought the law to its ultimate standard.
The old law required to keep the commandments for salvation (faith), and to sacrifice an animal for forgiveness.
In the same way I believe, the new covenant requires to keep the commandments for salvation (faith), and Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for ultimate forgiveness.
Throughout the Bible and entire existence of life, the central theme is "good vs evil". Then if the primary feature of the old covenant is holiness, then surely it remains in the new covenant. .

The most consistent thing Jesus preached about was keeping the commandments. Not about hyper-grace and faith.

The question remains and here it is practically. If someone from the modern church asked Jesus, "how do I get saved", and Jesus said "keep the commandments and follow me", He would surely be called a heretic.

Jan 12, 2019
I think you keep missing that Jesus gave multiple different answers, to the same people, within the same generation.
Jesus talked about faith, obedience, baptism of Holy Spirit and water, keeping the commandments, etc.

But when asked specifically, "how do I get saved", the answer was more consistently: keep the commandments.
We also have to ask, if Jesus came to create a new covenant, why would He re-teach the old one in His time on earth? He didn't. He brought the law to its ultimate standard.
The old law required to keep the commandments for salvation (faith), and to sacrifice an animal for forgiveness.
In the same way I believe, the new covenant requires to keep the commandments for salvation (faith), and Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for ultimate forgiveness.
Throughout the Bible and entire existence of life, the central theme is "good vs evil". Then if the primary feature of the old covenant is holiness, then surely it remains in the new covenant. .

The most consistent thing Jesus preached about was keeping the commandments. Not about hyper-grace and faith.

The question remains and here it is practically. If someone from the modern church asked Jesus, "how do I get saved", and Jesus said "keep the commandments and follow me", He would surely be called a heretic.
Ooh now I see where you are coming from.

I believe you lean more towards red letter Christianity?

Oct 13, 2019
Ooh now I see where you are coming from.

I believe you lean more towards red letter Christianity?
Never heard of that til now, and after researching it, no that's not what I lean towards.

Oct 13, 2019
Then why not follow Paul, the apostle that the ascended Christ chose to reach you?
Because Jesus said, "follow me", not "follow Paul".
If you know what Jesus says, then you will know Paul is only supporting what Jesus said in his own way, not adding to it. Regardless, that's an odd thing to say, as though Paul said something different to Jesus?

Jan 12, 2019
Because Jesus said, "follow me", not "follow Paul".
If you know what Jesus says, then you will know Paul is only supporting what Jesus said in his own way, not adding to it. Regardless, that's an odd thing to say, as though Paul said something different to Jesus?
Are you aware that Jesus was not sent to the gentiles during the 4 gospels?

As I have quoted from Ephesians we had no hope and no Christ until the Jews rejected their messiah, romans 11:11

So don’t insert yourself into the 4 gospels, just like you won’t do that for Malachi or Haggai

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

- Keep the commandments
- Follow Jesus

Which were:

Actually this is where translations make a difference..

Matthew 19: KJV
16 "¶ And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"

The guy had a Works salvation mindset.. Asking what Good thing he could Do to secure eternal life from Himself.. Jesus response can only be understood if we know that Jesus was going to go through a process to cause the guy to understand he was not going to achieve eternal life by doing some good deeds..

Jesus went through the Law to convict the man that he failed the Law but the guy thought he had kept the Law without fault ( which is delusional ) So Jesus established in the guys mind that he Must be Perfect to attain eternal life for himself.. And the guy walked away with great sorrow because he could not be perfect..

20 "The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? {21} Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. {22} But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions."

But even in the above passage Jesus indicated the Way one could have eternal life when He said to the man "come and follow me". Only followers of the LORD Jesus Christ will be saved..

So there is no way a person can attain entry into eternity with God by their own deeds because all human beings are incapable of perfection.. After the young man walked away in sorrow the apostles where also devastated because they too understood how they where unable to be perfect.. Jesus then replied to them as follows..

24 "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. {25} When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? {26} But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

Jesus was pointing to the Way we imperfect human beings where going to be saved.. Not by the good things we humans will do but by the Good thing the Perfect LORD Jesus was soon to do on the cross..

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

- Keep the commandments
- Follow Jesus

Which were:

"Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." The Book of the Acts of the Apostles chapter 16 verse 30

Oct 13, 2019
Are you aware that Jesus was not sent to the gentiles during the 4 gospels?

As I have quoted from Ephesians we had no hope and no Christ until the Jews rejected their messiah, romans 11:11

So don’t insert yourself into the 4 gospels, just like you won’t do that for Malachi or Haggai
Still a weak argument. Let's agree for a second that Jesus only came for the Jews. How would anything He said change for a gentile, especially for a gentile who converts to a Jew?
The message of Jesus doesn't change with Paul. If you were a gentile in that day, how would you be saved? Would you have to wait for Paul to be born?
Jews were supposed to be a light to the world. If they were a light, what light would the show the gentiles? The light of Jesus and His teachings? Or would they say, "you're a jew, go to Jesus", or "you're a gentile go to Paul"?