Whatcha Cookin'?!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Mackerel... ugh!

The texture is between tuna and salmon, but the smell... the smell!

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Really enjoyed smoke cooking on a Weber, we have a lot of hickory here, my favorite

Jan 25, 2015
We barbeque (or what we call braai) often. In summer time at least once a week :)

I wish I could get the hang of smoking meat. I would love to smoke my own ribs...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Brining is a great help. it adds moisture. Chicken is a favorite, I remove the skin, brine for a few hours, then place on one side of the grill with the small fire on the other side and hickory bark on the other side, (indirect heat) smoke till the internal temp is appropriate and the joints are loose indicating it is cooked.
Have heard of oak being used , haven't tried it, what woods do you have in Australia?

Jan 25, 2015
Brining is a great help. it adds moisture. Chicken is a favorite, I remove the skin, brine for a few hours, then place on one side of the grill with the small fire on the other side and hickory bark on the other side, (indirect heat) smoke till the internal temp is appropriate and the joints are loose indicating it is cooked.
Have heard of oak being used , haven't tried it, what woods do you have in Australia?
I am in South Africa and we have sicklebush, camel thorn tree, and leadwood. They burn for long periods of time and the meat taste delicious :)

Jan 25, 2015
I have a home made smoker that my neighbor gave me but couldn't figure it out. He got it as a present from somebody. Maybe I should try again with chicken and wait with the ribs. I also used charcoal instead of real wood.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
The sausages look interesting, I have made some with and without coriander, there is a difference with coriander being a plus to my taste.

Jan 25, 2015
Coriander can be a difficult taste to get used to. We buy our sausage (or boerewors) from the butchers and they have sausage with and without coriander. They usually use it (coriander) more in the wild buck sausage like Springbok, Kudu etc. It basically mask the "wild" taste.

May 25, 2015
I could slow cook everything. It makes me feel like I am a better cook than I am, the way the flavors mix and the meat falls apart. And, I am not a big cooker or eater for that matter, so when it just “shows up” done, I like it. Give me calories that don’t taste horrible so I can do stuff, lol.
It is quite convenient, let's be honest.

I just love to cook. I come from a family who loves to cook. I barely ever use my slow cooker, but it is very convenient in my busy schedule.

May 25, 2015
This appeared on my memories on Facebook! Shrimp scampi for the win and I remember it tasting delightful.

I'll have to cook it again! Ya'll invited.

;)

83193537_10156402181956887_1146423150368522240_n.jpg

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
In a few minutes I'm gonna pop over a couple towns and follow up on a lead on some goat milk.

See, I look forward to eggnog around this time of year. But this year all I can find in stores is lowfat junk with high fructose corn syrup and spray-dried egg yolks. So I decided to make my own.

Downside is I'm allergic to lactose. Not lactose intolerant, just allergic - sneezing, sniffling, etc. So I'm making my own with some milk that is MUCH lower in lactose than the cow milk in the store.

And that's why I mention it in this thread. I'm about to cook up a batch of boiled custard. Come on over and I'll pour you a mug.

christian74

Oct 1, 2013
Mackerel... ugh!

The texture is between tuna and salmon, but the smell... the smell!

Grilled salted mackerel with white rice? You are missing out Lynx...
So does mackerel sushi - lot of people may not like it for its vinegar marinated texture but it is one of favorites of mine.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
It is quite convenient, let's be honest.

I just love to cook. I come from a family who loves to cook. I barely ever use my slow cooker, but it is very convenient in my busy schedule.
Cooking can be a fun hobby to have trying new dishes and exploring flavor combinations. It’s a wonderful way to give inviting friends over to try them out.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
hmm yesterday made mousetraps.

Havent been cooking all that much its summer so mostly throw things together, like icecream and berries. Cheese and crackers.

Sweetcorn on the cob with butter.

Im planning a bbq one weekend when my sis gets out of quarantine.
Might start a thread on that since I gave away my barbecue bible. Ive got a kettle style bbq, its ok, but from using it a couple of times I must say its not the ideal one. I think its better to have a permanent brick grill in your backyard. I see so many ppl chuck out their rusty gas grills on wheels that its a joke. when they are so expensive in the shops. Plus the charcoal it seems comes from africa. Im like we do we really need to import charcoal from africa?!