Whatcha studying...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
...in the bible, have you found any new nuggets that you'd like to share or discuss?

J

jaybird88

not so much a new scripture but a new idea. i was taught all my life that we are to test all things against scripture. but the scripture in question doesnt say that, it says test all things. only one example (im aware of) where teachings are tested against scripture when the berean Jews tested Paul. Jesus teaches on false teachers, He says we will know them by their fruits.
i personally have always liked testing a teacher by their actions rather than scripture because i see scriptures often times get twisted to denounce a teacher, some push it even further, ignoring scripture and testing someone against doctrine.
you also have the problem with teachers teaching good things in line with scripture but living lives full of sin and corruption.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Posted this, but it got ignored pretty quickly. I am still reading and learning about this Passage because I believe it reveals more than some folks want to accept.

Colossians 2:2) That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3)In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4) And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. 5) For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6) As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7) Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

P

pottersclay

Studying worship...... studying the beast and the image of the beast......thinking of writing a sermon on luke 7:19.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
Posted this, but it got ignored pretty quickly. I am still reading and learning about this Passage because I believe it reveals more than some folks want to accept.
(y) Colossians 2:2-9 is among my favorite passages.

I really like how the following version puts verses 2-3 (which I believe reads more closely to the Greek):

"2 that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and to all the riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge [epignosin - G1922] of the mystery of God, which is Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and of knowledge."

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

I really like how the following version puts verses 2-3 (which I believe reads more closely to the Greek):

"2 that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and to all the riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge [epignosin - G1922] of the mystery of God, which is Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and of knowledge."

That is a pretty good read. The KJV lists "God" singular, then states "and of the Father, and of Christ..." One God, Two persons......of the Trinity. Friend asked me about the Holy Spirit, and I told him not to worry, the Apostle spent bunches of time talking of the Holy Spirit.

But, this particular passage surely seems to read as if Paul is asserting the Divinity of Christ! Well, in my opinion.

Still doing some study on it though......

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Studying worship...... studying the beast and the image of the beast......thinking of writing a sermon on luke 7:19.
Hope you do well with it. I remember some time back here on CC someone had a Thread questioning why John the Baptist did not know Christ was actually Christ IF he was sent to straighten the path for Him. Can't remember all the comments, but the gist was:

At that time, there were many people going around claiming to be the Messiah, Christ, and so John sent his guys to be sure it was really Christ. He KNEW Christ when he say Him at the river......but, being some distance away, and only getting verbal reports, it can be understood he wanted confirmation. Well, to me anyway.

Are you gonna post it here?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I beliee John was in the Spirit when he asked Jesus if He is the One for Whom he was waiting, and he asked this for the benefit of the crowd to hear the reply.

Here is aalogy, albeit not near perfect. Our Father in Heaven is likened to a candel giving Light. The creation is a mirror. Within the creation, the mirror, is our Father's reflection, Jesus, Yeshua. The light on both sides is the Hoy Spirit.

Come time to remove the first creation, that mirror, only those who came into the light will remain with the Candle, God. This is just a poor rendition of what I believe by the Spirit, and have believed since He came into me.

God inThree Manifestations, blessed is He, amen.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
...in the bible, have you found any new nuggets that you'd like to share or discuss?
Ecclesiastes.
it's hard. many people even today think it doesn't belong in the Bible, and probably a majority think it is only earthly wisdom ((or a completely earthly viewpoint)) being discussed. i think that's probably a result of an incomplete understanding of what Solomon is discussing, and that it probably requires at least a smidgen of presuming to be wiser than the wisest man ever, to read it and think to correct him.
it's hard.

i started a thread about 4:13-16, because i think i see a Messianic picture in it. a few people agreed but the discussion didn't go far.
i started another thread about 7:16, because it's extraordinarily shocking at face value. i think most common interpretations of this are eisegetical and the more i think about it the more amazing the implications are. that thread kind of fizzled too. i'll probably revisit them at some point.

still reading, and listening to various expository preaching on them, taking some, discarding some.
did i say it's an hard book? it's an hard book, both to understand and to stomach. and profound :)

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Ecclesiastes.
it's hard. many people even today think it doesn't belong in the Bible, and probably a majority think it is only earthly wisdom ((or a completely earthly viewpoint)) being discussed. i think that's probably a result of an incomplete understanding of what Solomon is discussing, and that it probably requires at least a smidgen of presuming to be wiser than the wisest man ever, to read it and think to correct him.
it's hard.

i started a thread about 4:13-16, because i think i see a Messianic picture in it. a few people agreed but the discussion didn't go far.
i started another thread about 7:16, because it's extraordinarily shocking at face value. i think most common interpretations of this are eisegetical and the more i think about it the more amazing the implications are. that thread kind of fizzled too. i'll probably revisit them at some point.

still reading, and listening to various expository preaching on them, taking some, discarding some.
did i say it's an hard book? it's an hard book, both to understand and to stomach. and profound :)
I'll tell you this much, I am more intrigued with digging in Ecclesiastes now, thank you. I have always appreciated the transparency of thought it seems Solomon shares with us readers. Who among us hasn't felt moments of despair? He seems to walk His way back to Yehovah, in spite and maybe because of the pure vanity of it all, including the ponderings of the ins and outs of our fallen nature and corrupted world.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014

Colossians 2:2) That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3)In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4) And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. 5) For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6) As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7) Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
I think these verses says it all and does so in a manner that encourages we keep going to the word, with a humble teachable stance.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
not so much a new scripture but a new idea. i was taught all my life that we are to test all things against scripture. but the scripture in question doesnt say that, it says test all things. only one example (im aware of) where teachings are tested against scripture when the berean Jews tested Paul. Jesus teaches on false teachers, He says we will know them by their fruits.
i personally have always liked testing a teacher by their actions rather than scripture because i see scriptures often times get twisted to denounce a teacher, some push it even further, ignoring scripture and testing someone against doctrine.
you also have the problem with teachers teaching good things in line with scripture but living lives full of sin and corruption.
I'm thinking the truth lies somewhere in between right? The fruits you speak of need to line up with the scripture as well as the words expressed. I mean, can we exclude one or the other from the testing? Does that make sense? I do agree actions, words, emotions, thoughts, they all need to line up with the word, thus will, of God. I think that getting all nice and tidy in a theological doctrine can prevent learning more. I think we need to keep seeking the truth and that the truth should be bringing us closer to a better nature, in Him.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I beliee John was in the Spirit when he asked Jesus if He is the One for Whom he was waiting, and he asked this for the benefit of the crowd to hear the reply.

Here is aalogy, albeit not near perfect. Our Father in Heaven is likened to a candel giving Light. The creation is a mirror. Within the creation, the mirror, is our Father's reflection, Jesus, Yeshua. The light on both sides is the Hoy Spirit.

Come time to remove the first creation, that mirror, only those who came into the light will remain with the Candle, God. This is just a poor rendition of what I believe by the Spirit, and have believed since He came into me.

God inThree Manifestations, blessed is He, amen.
Wow, what a profound and interesting thought. Thank you for putting it forth to look at. I must admit, I will need to read it again, maybe a couple times, to truly grasp what you are conveying.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014

I read your version and am curious what version it is. I don't read it saying specifically God, which is Christ. If it did, that would hush up that arguement of Christ, being the Father, wouldn't it?

Dec 12, 2013
I have been studying the characteristics of God based upon the use of "be verbs" as applied unto his very nature and the fact he dwells in eternity.....

God IS light
God IS spirit
God IS love

GOD IS the lofty ONE that INHABITS ETERNITY

"IS" is a BE VERB and points to a STATE of BEING.....NOW apply this the very descriptive words used and employed in 1st Corinthians to the resurrected body and some very deep truths or thoughts begin to develop......

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You may be interested to know the verb hayah (to be) in Hebrew is transitive when god uses it.

It means He actively IS not passively. Only God may use this verb in Truth for only God is Self-existing.

Now you may apply this to the verb in each of your quotes if they are fromthe Hebrew.....and it takes on even stronger meaning, I believe.

Dec 12, 2013
You may be interested to know the verb hayah (to be) in Hebrew is transitive when god uses it.

It means He actively IS not passively. Only God may use this verb in Truth for only God is Self-existing.

Now you may apply this to the verb in each of your quotes if they are fromthe Hebrew.....and it takes on even stronger meaning, I believe.
Interesting for sure...the first three are from the N.T. the latter from Isaiah.......what you said reminds me of the Verb in Genesis that gets overlooked....

In chapter one it states and the Earth was without form and void....that is actually a verb and states...and the Earth CAME to be without form and void...most miss this or dismiss it......and I think it is placed there for a reason.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Interesting for sure...the first three are from the N.T. the latter from Isaiah.......what you said reminds me of the Verb in Genesis that gets overlooked....

In chapter one it states and the Earth was without form and void....that is actually a verb and states...and the Earth CAME to be without form and void...most miss this or dismiss it......and I think it is placed there for a reason.

.I plum forgot. Hayah is the source of the name or title, Yahweh. Yahweh is more or less the gerund form of thaqt verb, Hayah. It is certain you know what a gerund is but for the benefit of al...….

Gerund is the noun form of any infinitive (verb). It may be called nomnative or subjective also.

That said, coupling the meaning of the Gerund Yahweh, we see I Am, transitiv. To borrow form American dialect, it could said I Be.

It is also tranlated as I am that I am because of the lack of a tranitive for of to be in English.

God told Moses to tell the Children of Israel Yahweh has sent me, just as easily I be has sent me.

All of this is dandy but the big revelation for me is that God has said his name to be What He is, and it demostrates that He will manifest Himself as He sees fit.....The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We re revere all and we should, but wemust keep in mnd the prophesy in Zephaniah how God will one day trun to all peples a pure tongue so that we may all call uupon Him by One Name, Title.

Perhaps this prophesy is telling us that we will not know His true Name, Title, until that time. Meanwile He is what He is.

I am over the top with this understanding and I believe all who love God in spirit and truth know this deep down in their hearts.....It is not important to know it consciously,, but it is important to me, and probably to all. when they know all. (No I do not know all nor tdo I pretend toknow much, but I believe I know this much.) God bless you and keep up your good works....Like it or not you are doing the works of God.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Just wondering.........

How many people have studied Zephaniah?

How many people have read it?

:)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I like to believe all who truly love Jesus Christ have at least taken a gander at the Old Testament…...actually I would that all study in depth...