Whatcha studying...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
...in the bible, have you found any new nuggets that you'd like to share or discuss?
Not something that I was studying, but something that I heard preached on at an annual meeting in Mt, view, Oklahoma. I had always wondered why (at the second command for Moses to "speak to the rock" on the second occasion of getting water from the rock,which is representative of Christ) God said to speak to the rock. The preacher said the first instruction was to smite the rock, because Christ was smitten only once for our sins. After he was smitten once, then we are to speak to him as our mediator. It excites me when God feeds me spiritual food.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Not something that I was studying, but something that I heard preached on at an annual meeting in Mt, view, Oklahoma. I had always wondered why (at the second command for Moses to "speak to the rock" on the second occasion of getting water from the rock,which is representative of Christ) God said to speak to the rock. The preacher said the first instruction was to smite the rock, because Christ was smitten only once for our sins. After he was smitten once, then we are to speak to him as our mediator. It excites me when God feeds me spiritual food.
I never ever saw that, thanks for sharing this with me today. I think I need to pray more to Him as my mediator, than as just my Savior. Our lives sparkle is Him and His words. I too am fortified in the abundance of His word.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
.I plum forgot. Hayah is the source of the name or title, Yahweh. Yahweh is more or less the gerund form of thaqt verb, Hayah. It is certain you know what a gerund is but for the benefit of al...….

Gerund is the noun form of any infinitive (verb). It may be called nomnative or subjective also.

That said, coupling the meaning of the Gerund Yahweh, we see I Am, transitiv. To borrow form American dialect, it could said I Be.

It is also tranlated as I am that I am because of the lack of a tranitive for of to be in English.

God told Moses to tell the Children of Israel Yahweh has sent me, just as easily I be has sent me.

All of this is dandy but the big revelation for me is that God has said his name to be What He is, and it demostrates that He will manifest Himself as He sees fit.....The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We re revere all and we should, but wemust keep in mnd the prophesy in Zephaniah how God will one day trun to all peples a pure tongue so that we may all call uupon Him by One Name, Title.

Perhaps this prophesy is telling us that we will not know His true Name, Title, until that time. Meanwile He is what He is.

I am over the top with this understanding and I believe all who love God in spirit and truth know this deep down in their hearts.....It is not important to know it consciously,, but it is important to me, and probably to all. when they know all. (No I do not know all nor tdo I pretend toknow much, but I believe I know this much.) God bless you and keep up your good works....Like it or not you are doing the works of God.
I loved this comment, thank you. God Bless you.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I like to believe all who truly love Jesus Christ have at least taken a gander at the Old Testament…...actually I would that all study in depth...
I have found a new state of love and appreciation in the digging I'm of the OT.

Dec 12, 2013
.I plum forgot. Hayah is the source of the name or title, Yahweh. Yahweh is more or less the gerund form of thaqt verb, Hayah. It is certain you know what a gerund is but for the benefit of al...….

Gerund is the noun form of any infinitive (verb). It may be called nomnative or subjective also.

That said, coupling the meaning of the Gerund Yahweh, we see I Am, transitiv. To borrow form American dialect, it could said I Be.

It is also tranlated as I am that I am because of the lack of a tranitive for of to be in English.

God told Moses to tell the Children of Israel Yahweh has sent me, just as easily I be has sent me.

All of this is dandy but the big revelation for me is that God has said his name to be What He is, and it demostrates that He will manifest Himself as He sees fit.....The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. We re revere all and we should, but wemust keep in mnd the prophesy in Zephaniah how God will one day trun to all peples a pure tongue so that we may all call uupon Him by One Name, Title.

Perhaps this prophesy is telling us that we will not know His true Name, Title, until that time. Meanwile He is what He is.

I am over the top with this understanding and I believe all who love God in spirit and truth know this deep down in their hearts.....It is not important to know it consciously,, but it is important to me, and probably to all. when they know all. (No I do not know all nor tdo I pretend toknow much, but I believe I know this much.) God bless you and keep up your good works....Like it or not you are doing the works of God.
Literally---> I am the Self existent and eternal one

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
I read your version and am curious what version it is. I don't read it saying specifically God, which is Christ. If it did, that would hush up that arguement of Christ, being the Father, wouldn't it?
"which is" is in italics (meaning, not in the original Greek)

Some versions say,

"the mystery of God, even Christ"

"the mystery of God, namely Christ"

"the mystery of God, that is, Christ Himself"

etc...

Here are a couple of links:

https://biblehub.com/colossians/2-2.htm [compare the various versions, for Col2:2]

https://biblehub.com/text/colossians/2-2.htm [Col2:2 along with the Greek]

Here's Colossians 1:15-20 (in the Berean Literal Bible):

"15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation, 16 because in Him were created all things in the heavens and upon the earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or lordships or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and unto Him.
17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, firstborn out from the dead, so that He might be holding preeminence in all things, 19 because all the fullness was pleased to dwell in Him, 20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace by the blood of His cross through Him, whether the things on the earth or the things in the heavens."

[bold mine]

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
See also:

John 1:3
Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made.

John 1:10
He was in the world, and though the world was made through Him, the world did not recognize Him.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Zephaniah:

It's only 3 Chapters.
It's KINDA scary.
It's kinda like prophecy.......not of that time, but of when Christ comes.....and the END? Dunno, still working on some of the language and stuff. Old Zeph had a way with words, and, sadly, most of them were in Hebrew....... :)

Dec 12, 2013
Zephaniah:

It's only 3 Chapters.
It's KINDA scary.
It's kinda like prophecy.......not of that time, but of when Christ comes.....and the END? Dunno, still working on some of the language and stuff. Old Zeph had a way with words, and, sadly, most of them were in Hebrew....... :)
You probably won't see this because you have put me on ignore more than once, but the O.T. prophetic books are woven with both current events to the time frames written in and that which is prophetically foretelling future events that will take place at the end of the age....this is what I have learned anyway.....most will not acknowledge that the O.T. contains modern flight, modern weaponry, nuclear war and the destruction of many nations that have only recently been identified and or come into being....verses like the following....

Woe unto the land which is beyond Ethiopia that OVERSHADOWS WITH WINGS

THOSE found will be thrust through with weapons that cause the people to EXPLODE DOWN INTO FRAGMENTS AND PIECES

Destruction from

Under the SHADOW of a CLOUD
With the TEMPEST of a STORM
THAT causes the earth to UNDULATE and QUAKE
BURNS cities with FIRE
MAKES them UNINHABITABLE

etc........

Like I have said....ONE nation is identified by 80 characteristics and is called the HINDERMOST of the NATIONS, the LADY of the KINGDOMS and HER national SYMBOLS are a LADY, WOMAN and EAGLE....13 chapters of the bible and 8 books...woven in with BABYLON as the PRODIGY or DAUGHTER of BABYLON.......

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
You probably won't see this because you have put me on ignore more than once, but the O.T. prophetic books are woven with both current events to the time frames written in and that which is prophetically foretelling future events that will take place at the end of the age....this is what I have learned anyway.....most will not acknowledge that the O.T. contains modern flight, modern weaponry, nuclear war and the destruction of many nations that have only recently been identified and or come into being....verses like the following....

THOSE found will be thrust through with weapons that cause the people to EXPLODE DOWN INTO FRAGMENTS AND PIECES

Destruction from

BURNS cities with FIRE
MAKES them UNINHABITABLE

etc........

Like I have said....ONE nation is identified by 80 characteristics and is called the HINDERMOST of the NATIONS, the LADY of the KINGDOMS and HER national SYMBOLS are a LADY, WOMAN and EAGLE....13 chapters of the bible and 8 books...woven in with BABYLON as the PRODIGY or DAUGHTER of BABYLON.......
Want to know more

Dec 12, 2013
Sure....will get on tomorrow sometime in afternoon....after I help neighbor on his house...feel free to fire me some questions and I will respond.....some very deep truths that quite a few miss or ignore or reject due to a lack of study or honesty with the facts....The word speaks loud and clear if people will listen......

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Just wondering.........

How many people have studied Zephaniah?

How many people have read it?

:)

I think we are living on the edge of that book.

When He talks about Baal worshipers it's false religion that He will destroy and He will cleanse the earth of all men getting rid of wickedness.

Letting all of us know that gold and silver won't be able to save you. Money which is another false God as people put so much trust in it.

I'm sure there is much more to it than I have thought about.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Just wondering.........

He ends the book with hope of a remnant and restoration and I believe that is the earth made new. Where there will be only true worship of the true God no more Baals or false Gods for people to chase after as they will be restored to true worship.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
Kinda mirror my thoughts.......lots there to digest.
It is a book to make one think about what is going on in the world and your own personal life and if you are living according to God's plan.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Just wondering.........

I haven't studied it extensively but have read the book in its entirety 4 times and certain passages quite a few times. It is always good to get into the Word. Last month we completed our entire reading of the bible in order from Genesis through Revelation. It was my 4th complete reading of the bible and the first time read in chronological order. We have started another complete reading a few weeks ago. Our last two bible projects I did the reading and this time Darlene is reading. She decided to read books at random and our first book is Proverbs and we just finished Proverb 26. There are 1189 chapters in the bible so we have 1163 to go. I estimate it will take us about 2 1/2 years God willing.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Destruction from

BURNS cities with FIRE
MAKES them UNINHABITABLE

etc........

I entirely agree with your estimation of the OT in regards to the current time in which we live. Nuclear war in the future is definitely mentioned, talks about pillars of smoke and people melting. You cannot possibly begin to understand about the book of Revelation unless you study the prophecies in the OT regarding end-time events.

Dec 12, 2013
I entirely agree with your estimation of the OT in regards to the current time in which we live. Nuclear war in the future is definitely mentioned, talks about pillars of smoke and people melting. You cannot possibly begin to understand about the book of Revelation unless you study the prophecies in the OT regarding end-time events.
Totally agree....I have said that one cannot have a proper understanding of the NEW (especially the prophesies concerning the end of the age) unless one has a very solid understanding of the Old....and BOTH are need like the sights on a long gun in order to shoot straight......