Whatever Happened to the Ten Commandments?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 17, 2020
Where do you find that the ten are do not agree with what is written in our hearts? If you love the Lord you want to live as the Lord tells us, and of course, to love man each law would be followed. It is the truth that sin causes death. If someone pointed a gun at you, would it be wicked for a person to help you get away? You are saying it is wicked and being forced to escape that death.

The Lord gave us protection in Christ, He makes us as if we obeyed the law. Wouldn't it be completely foolish to purposely disobey? Would it be "force" if a person helped another stay from disobedience?

I don't see how Christ, even, can help you if you believe in sinning and do not want to stay away from it. Christ will not force you to accept His righteousness.
The Ten required no action motivated by love. Dead people keep them perfectly. The Two Great Commandments are love in action. Doing unto others as love would do.

Jan 17, 2020
You don't realize it now however, I pray one day you do. All that you said there makes zero sense.
Take some time with it. Read it again. Live the Sermon on the Mount and experience it.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The Ten required no action motivated by love. Dead people keep them perfectly. The Two Great Commandments are love in action. Doing unto others as love would do.
"Dead people keep them perfectly" seems erroneous given that Jesus said, "So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach."

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It's the Two Great Commandments written in the heart, not the Ten. The Ten were aimed at wicked unbelievers forcing them to act good or die.
How would it be possible for a wicked unbeliever to act good when there is no good inside of them? The two Great Commandments were a summary of the Ten Commandments.

Jan 17, 2020
How would it be possible for a wicked unbeliever to act good when there is no good inside of them? The two Great Commandments were a summary of the Ten Commandments.
God forced the wick to not do certain things under threat of death. Abraham, Abel. Job and others did not need this. They had the two great commandments in their hearts.

Jan 17, 2020
"Dead people keep them perfectly" seems erroneous given that Jesus said, "So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach."
He told the wicked to do nothing in the Ten Commandments as far as the moral law went. Don't steal, don't covet etc. But love makes you do loving things for others.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You can sin while keeping the Ten Commandments. Not possible with the Two Great Commandments. Why? You can not steal from the hungry by not taking their bread. But at the same time, you steal from them by not feeding them as you feed yourself. Get the picture?
I tend to agree with you on this point. You may do no harm to anyone by keeping the Ten Commandments but perhaps nothing good to those around you. I believe that these might be sins of omission by neglecting the least of your brother's and sisters. You cannot covet or steal from those that do not have anything. To do nothing, if able and capable, to those in need is indeed a sin.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
God forced the wick to not do certain things under threat of death. Abraham, Abel. Job and others did not need this. They had the two great commandments in their hearts.
Yes, this seems to be the case.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
He told the wicked to do nothing in the Ten Commandments as far as the moral law went. Don't steal, don't covet etc. But love makes you do loving things for others.
Jesus amended what they had been told. For instance, being angry amounts to murder, and lusting amounts to adultery.

Jan 17, 2020
Jesus amended what they had been told. For instance, being angry amounts to murder, and lusting amounts to adultery.

He taught the Two Great Commandments in saying that. Showing the Jews what it takes to keep the Ten Commandments.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
So how do we harmonize Jeremiah who says the New Covenant will replace the Ten Commandments?
That is not really what Jeremiah said. The Ten Commandments are the critical component of the Old Covenant as well as the New Covenant. The difference is in where and how they are written, and how they become effective.

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: (Heb 8:10)

Jun 10, 2019
Especially because they would have no interest in what the Bible says about commandments. unbelievers don’t believe a word of the Bible.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
When I read posts here on the law I understand most who deny obeying those remaing laws...on the hearts of all who believe, have never learned just which laws make up Love. These people who choose to ignore what Jesus teaches on the law yet have the veil of MOses preventing their seeing with clarity preferring to deny our Lord's taching on how to obey theLaw and His Example.

Some will say over and over again, "not again," but these same will say the same exclamation when hearing the Gospel over and over again. Truth that is eternal is always worthy. Ask Jesus.
I think that's why that type of professed belief isn't actually genuine. The great attention getter in a Christian Bible discussion forum is to argue the converse of scripture.
The Ten Commandments/Ten Words of God are grounded in love. As Jesus said,
"...You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
For some traditions I think the blockage to understanding is the foundational word, Love.

L

Locoponydirtman

The problem with most humans is that they want to figure out the thing to do because having faith is just too nebulous. So if it hop on one foot and turn around three times, people are good with that but to just believe and have faith is too questionable, because we all doubt ourselves, when we want to be assured. And just trusting isn't very reassuring.
But Jesus gave is assurance, he gave us his word, and his sacraments, his supper, and baptism, by this we know it is him that is the worker, and giver of the will and the do.
So what do we do with the ten commandments? I call them the ten aspired to characters.
What do we do with all of the law. For example: the law speaks of an ox that gores. This teaches us about managing our animals and pets so as not to harm other folks and their animals. Not that we should follow all the rituals and cutting them in half and all that stuff, but don't let your dog bite someone, don't let your horse kick someone, don't let your animal be a danger to others, simple enough. None of this is that hard, love God because he loved you, and love everyone else because God loves you.

7seasrekeyed

oh my

every single one of the commandments illustrate love because every single one would have put someone else first

Jesus stated that the commandments were summed up in loving God and your neighbor as yourself

this insanity of fighting over whether or not they are to be obeyed, or worse, thinking Jesus gave new commandments is just a sick pastime IMO