Whats your favourite Hymn and why?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
So I was sitting drinking a cup coffee and my mind wandered of into a question. Whats my favourite Hymn and why?

I have to say that mines can change at different times but I always come back to two. They are:

1. Be thou my vision
2. In Christ alone

I think because the words of the Hymn speak to me on my walk with Jesus through up's and down..but also I like the melodies of both. I suppose we need to like the melody along with the lyrical content to become our favourites.

As the Hymns state:

"Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that thou art
Thou my best thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, thy presence my light"

---------------------------------

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand.
In Christ alone! - who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.

I pray that this is my thought every day.

Whats your hymn/s

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
So I was sitting drinking a cup coffee and my mind wandered of into a question. Whats my favourite Hymn and why?

I have to say that mines can change at different times but I always come back to two. They are:

1. Be thou my vision
2. In Christ alone

I think because the words of the Hymn speak to me on my walk with Jesus through up's and down..but also I like the melodies of both. I suppose we need to like the melody along with the lyrical content to become our favourites.

As the Hymns state:

Whats your hymn/s
Definitely " in Christ alone " is one of my favourites.

John146

Jan 13, 2016

1. Be thou my vision
2. In Christ alone

As the Hymns state:

Whats your hymn/s
It is well with my soul
Come, thy fount of every blessing
Great is thy faithfulness
How great thou art

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Holy, Holy Holy.
Was one of the first hymns I learned after conversion.

Holy, holy, holy!
Lord God Almighty
Early in the morning
Our song shall rise to Thee
Holy, holy, holy!
Merciful and mighty
God in three persons
Blessed Trinity!
Holy, holy, holy!
Though the darkness hide thee
Though the eye of sinful man
Thy glory may not see
Only Thou art holy
There is none beside Thee
Perfect in power, in love and purity
Holy, holy, holy!
Lord God Almighty
Oh thy works shall praise Thy name
In earth and sky and sea
Holy, holy, holy!
Merciful and mighty
God in three persons
Blessed Trinity
Oh God in three persons
Blessed Trinity!

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
The Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah.
Because I like it. :)

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Recently came across this ❤️

notuptome

May 17, 2013
"Hallelujah, What a Savior" Philip P Bliss

Fanny Crosby wrote a bunch of very good stuff.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Every one of you have contributed to my soul being lifted up as I sang along with your hymns. Thank you! It has been a long, dry emotional time. Thank you!

My favorite hymns change from day to day.

E

eternally-gratefull

The garden

most likely because it was my dads favorite

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Far too many to even begin to list them........ Seriously, if I began, where would I stop?

The Church of God Reformation Movement has a saying: "If you want to know our Theology, listen to our Hymns."

There is a Hymnal published by the Church that includes our Hymns if any is interested in searching for it.

Images of Hymnal Church of God Anderson Indiana

(Disclaimer)

To be honest, I no longer fully support the Anderson Church, University or the Mid America University in Oklahoma because they have left the true roots of the Reformation Movement and become far too liberal. They have been enticed into the worlds desires to "grow" their churches/congregations by turning to "feel good" religion. Even to accepting LGBTQ rights and people into their congregations. There REMAINS a dedicated core of Churches across the Country that STILL maintain the teachings of the founders of the Reformation Movement, and we are truly a Bible believing/teaching Church.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I would have to say "Amazing Grace."

I learned all the verses and sang it it bars and pubs for years before I was saved. I didn't have a clue what it meant. I just know that when I sang it, I always got such a strong reaction. People would cry, and I had some run outside sobbing. I thought it was all about my great singing. Little did I know that it was the Holy Spirit convicting people to repent and turn back to God.

God finally saved me, and my husband and I went to see a couple I knew, who had witnessed to me and prayed for me. They invited me to sing at their church the next day, which was Sunday morning. Since there was no time to find and rehearse with a pianist, I decided I would sing a capella the one Christian song I knew, which was "Amazing Grace."

I sang it on Sunday morning, and every word and line spoke to me. At the end I was weeping. God showed me what he had done for "a wretch like me," and that the future was filled with hope and singing God's praise.

I sang that song many more times, and each time, God would bless me with the knowledge of Christ's death on the cross, in order to save me, and the world.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
I would have to say "Amazing Grace."

I learned all the verses and sang it it bars and pubs for years before I was saved. I didn't have a clue what it meant. I just know that when I sang it, I always got such a strong reaction. People would cry, and I had some run outside sobbing. I thought it was all about my great singing. Little did I know that it was the Holy Spirit convicting people to repent and turn back to God.

God finally saved me, and my husband and I went to see a couple I knew, who had witnessed to me and prayed for me. They invited me to sing at their church the next day, which was Sunday morning. Since there was no time to find and rehearse with a pianist, I decided I would sing a capella the one Christian song I knew, which was "Amazing Grace."

I sang it on Sunday morning, and every word and line spoke to me. At the end I was weeping. God showed me what he had done for "a wretch like me," and that the future was filled with hope and singing God's praise.

I sang that song many more times, and each time, God would bless me with the knowledge of Christ's death on the cross, in order to save me, and the world.
You've reminded me how much all those Christmas songs came to life for me after I was filled with the Holy Spirit.
All my life they just sounded like boring old religious songs. I preferred the songs about Santas & solstice. :rolleyes:

The Holy Spirit changed that forever. I could hardly listen to one without crying afterwards.
Joyful tears of a grateful heart, not sadness.

Oct 19, 2020
The Old Rugged Cross

I was fortunate to grow up in the Church witnessing Saints of God 2 and 3 Generations before me. There was some hard difficult times in the early 1970's and people flocked the Church for help in many ways. And one of the most sung songs of that time was [the Old Rugged Cross]. As a very young boy, I remember watching those people as they worship God. It really seems the Church lost its know how to Worship as a Congregation once the [old timers and preachers] passed on. Today's Music is definitely Blessed, but back in the day, you would hear them crying out for God in the songs. We also called them the [Prayer Warriors] of the Church.

I wish I could spend just [literally] 5 minutes in that atmosphere one more time again surrounded by ALL of those "Loved Ones."

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
One of my favourites is "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty". Although it has archaic phrasing, it's meaningful to me for several reasons.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The Old Rugged Cross

I was fortunate to grow up in the Church witnessing Saints of God 2 and 3 Generations before me. There was some hard difficult times in the early 1970's and people flocked the Church for help in many ways. And one of the most sung songs of that time was [the Old Rugged Cross]. As a very young boy, I remember watching those people as they worship God. It really seems the Church lost its know how to Worship as a Congregation once the [old timers and preachers] passed on. Today's Music is definitely Blessed, but back in the day, you would hear them crying out for God in the songs. We also called them the [Prayer Warriors] of the Church.

I wish I could spend just [literally] 5 minutes in that atmosphere one more time again surrounded by ALL of those "Loved Ones."

On a hill far away

Stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame.

And I love that old cross
Where the dearesst and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

And I'll cherish the old rugged cross.
"Till my trophies at last I lay down.
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

I love this, but do not recall any of the other verses. So many folks sung this. Tennessee Ernie Ford stands out in my recollection, but just everyone sang it and san it well. Thanks for the blessed memory and God bless you.

Oct 19, 2020
On a hill far away

Stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame.

And I love that old cross
Where the dearesst and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

And I'll cherish the old rugged cross.
"Till my trophies at last I lay down.
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

I love this, but do not recall any of the other verses. So many folks sung this. Tennessee Ernie Ford stands out in my recollection, but just everyone sang it and san it well. Thanks for the blessed memory and God bless you.

Amen!

notuptome

May 17, 2013
There is a Fountain. William Cowper.

There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Immanuel's veins.
And sinners plunged beneath that flood lose all their guilty stains.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Shandy

Sep 12, 2020
Such wonderful hymns you have all posted. Thank you for lifting my heart.
So many favourites. My all time favourite
I come to the Garden alone.
Other favourites
How Great Thou Art
Here am I Lotd
I also lobe the song
One Day at a Time Dear Jesus

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

1. Be thou my vision
2. In Christ alone

As the Hymns state:

Whats your hymn/s
“turn your eyes upon jesus “

because it is all scripturally sound lyrics and really speaks the gospel message