Where are the sun, moon, and stars?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is His love for those who fear Him
(Psalm 103:11)
how great is His love?

to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge
(Ephesians 3:19)

that's pretty great! - greater than can be known

neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation,
will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord

(Romans 8:39)
height cannot separate us from His love; His love is greater than any height -- so if this immeasurable love is as high as the heavens are above the earth, well, the heavens are immeasurably high above the earth. stands to reason from scripture.

Eli12

Jul 3, 2019
Read Genesis 1:1-20 very carefully. Pay particularly close attention to the word 'firmament'.

What exactly is the firmament?

What is this passage telling you about where the sun, moon, and stars are?

What does the Bible actually say?
The firmament on Gen. 1:6-8 was the space between the waters up and the waters covering the primitive planet, since a part of the waters that first covered the planet were lifted into the atmosphere leaving an empty space in the middle. The waters up felt down on the Deluge and there is not more that layer of water holding on the Earth's atmosphere.

During the fourth day the sun, moon and stars became visible through the layer of water (Gen. 1:14-19). Their light came from the exterior of that liquid atmosphere. It looks like even if those celestial bodies were already created from the beginning (Gen. 1:1), their light was not visible on the Earth until the fourth day. That was the way God established in which the future intelligent inhabitants of the planet could count time, recognize seasons, etc.

Nov 23, 2013
I would consider that 'firmament' may represent either the first heaven or the first heaven and second heaven combined as one 'expanse'.

You only say this because you have been taught "vastness-of-space" all your life - it is not a matter of [real] scientific proof.

It is not actually as obvious as you may think.

(BTW - Why are the sun, moon, and stars only literal in Genesis?)

How can you even know with absolute certainty just exactly how far the second heaven reaches?

Other than simply believing what you are told (acting on assumption and blind trust), you cannot know with absolute certainty - because you have not actually conducted your own scientific proof.

So then, it is really a matter of faith...
The text surrounding the sun, moon and stars make them literal. The heaven was literal, the earth was, the light was, everything was literal.

You said "How can you even know with absolute certainty just exactly how far the second heaven reaches?"

Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Gen 1:7 says that there are waters below the firmament (seas) and waters ABOVE the firmament. So that firmament extends from the surface of the earth up to, but not into, the area where the clouds reside.

So what do we call the area ABOVE the firmament?

It's another firmament (expanse). This is the firmament of heaven of which the lower parts of it contain water and expands outward for who knows how far. This, "the firmament of heaven," is where the sun, moon and stars were placed. Agree?

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
The text surrounding the sun, moon and stars make them literal. The heaven was literal, the earth was, the light was, everything was literal.

You said "How can you even know with absolute certainty just exactly how far the second heaven reaches?"

Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Gen 1:7 says that there are waters below the firmament (seas) and waters ABOVE the firmament. So that firmament extends from the surface of the earth up to, but not into, the area where the clouds reside.

So what do we call the area ABOVE the firmament?

It's another firmament (expanse). This is the firmament of heaven of which the lower parts of it contain water and expands outward for who knows how far. This, "the firmament of heaven," is where the sun, moon and stars were placed. Agree?
Nope. Sorry. Try again...

The water above the firmament was not clouds.

It did not rain on the earth until the flood - remember?

The separation of the waters from the waters occurred on day two of the creation week.

The waters above the firmament were just that - above the entire complete whole firmament - as in, all of it.

There is no firmament above the waters that are above the firmament.

The waters that are above the firmament are beyond anything and everything that is called 'firmament'.

So, let me ask again - did God create a 'universe' of vast-but-specific size -- surrounded by an enormous water bubble?

Does the 'universe' have a spherical shape?

Jun 10, 2019
Here’s a bit of it, unless this is fake.

Nov 23, 2013

The separation of the waters from the waters occurred on day two of the creation week.

The waters above the firmament were just that - above the entire complete whole firmament - as in, all of it.

The waters that are above the firmament are beyond anything and everything that is called 'firmament'.

So, let me ask again - did God create a 'universe' of vast-but-specific size -- surrounded by an enormous water bubble?

I'm too tired to discuss it tonight lol. I have to get up early in the morning. I'll be back tomorrow. :)

Jun 10, 2019

On the second day the firmament of heaven was created, before the earth was formed into dry land.

Jun 10, 2019
The most abundant element in the universe hydrogen

Jun 10, 2019
Boiling points
hydrogen
-423.2°F
helium
-452.1°F

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
I'm too tired to discuss it tonight lol. I have to get up early in the morning. I'll be back tomorrow. :)
"No doubt your dreams will be filled with a familiar awareness of the great expanse --- known as the 'firmament' --- in the Twilight Zone..."

;)

(hahaha)

Sleep well...

:)

Nov 23, 2013
"No doubt your dreams will be filled with a familiar awareness of the great expanse --- known as the 'firmament' --- in the Twilight Zone..."

;)

(hahaha)

Sleep well...

:)
So it seems that in your view, the sun, moon and stars reside in the firmament.
Since the water vapor doesn't reside in the firmament, but above it, that means that the clouds are ABOVE the sun, moon and stars

Is this what you're saying?

H

Hevosmies358

Plot twist: The earth is FLAT and the moon sun and stars are UP. Closer than we think and its a dome. Geocentric model and all that.

You was on a boat and saw curvature? Come on bruh. You already know its them FISHEYE lenses doing that.

E

eternally-gratefull

The word firmament

First thing to do is look at definition

Greek raqia - a beaten metal plate, bow, firm form

Alot of people think it is the lower earth autmosphere,

But i believe it is actually the crust of the earth, which separates the fountains of the great deep, or an area of water miles below the surface from which the earth crust sits, and the water above

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
[QUOTE="posthuman, post: 4025042, member: 170505"
how great is His love? [/QUOTE]
Wasn't that a lyric of a song from the 80's?

E

eternally-gratefull

Yeah, that one. Sometimes it's not very deep but that's my bad. :)
Lol its ok, but now i have had the BeeGees In my head all day lol