Where does the idea of a head pastor come from?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I used to go to a "church" with a lead pastor.
Other people in the 'in-crowd' would also preach.

It was essentially a way for the pastor to reduce his workload by getting other people to do the work he should have been doing.
Or maybe they had read I Corinthians 14 about what to do in church, and also held to the tradition of having a senior pastor. Where does the Bible teach that this should be the workload of the 'senior pastor' or mention a senior pastor at all. Look up I Corinthians 14:26.

Chester

May 23, 2016

It was essentially a way for the pastor to reduce his workload by getting other people to do the work he should have been doing.
Two thoughts:
(1) Your "in-crowd" comment is so sad, but too much true in too many circles! A certain accepted group or circle owns and controls the church!
(2) A pastor's job is to raise up and train others to do the work: nowhere is a pastor told to do all the work. The group I am a part of regularly has all the lay brothers who are willing take a turn at preaching. (Usually about once a year)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

The "in crowd"... do you mean the other elders of the church?

Or perhaps visiting pastors/elders from neighborhood or sister churches? :unsure:

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Hi Folks,

We have to study the etiology of the word "clergy" to understand how a pseudo ruling class arose in the church. I use the term "pseudo" to distinguish the ruling class from those gifted with a legitimate "doma" gift of rule from God.

We get the word "clergy" or "cleric" from the Greek word kleros. The word is attached to a grant of inheritance from an estate.
In scripture, you can find it at Colossians 1:12 "..giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light." This is an exhortation to "..the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are in Colosse...". Therefore, the kleros, or clergy, include all of those who are in Christ.

It was not until after 325 A.D., when the church fathers exchanged their heavenly inheritance for one vested in Rome, that we see the division of the clergy and laity (laity is not found in scripture). This was done to create a ruling class, in the church, that mirrored that of the Roman government. Instead of grants of rule given through the doma gifts by God, the Roman church established leadership offices that men could inhabit if they met criteria outlined by the state. For example, in the church, one is recognized as a pastor if they posses the gift given by God. In the Roman way, one can become a pastor by completing seminary and by demonstrating compliance to a certain pedagogy.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I've looked and looked in the New Testament but can't find a justification for a "head pastor" of a church in a position of preeminence over everyone else. Where did this idea come from?
no idea, but if there is a 'head pastor' then there must be a 'foot pastor'

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I would basically agree with you that there is really no mention of any "lead" or "head" pastor as such.

But it is obvious that some of the early church leaders had more authority/weight than others. That is, Peter, James, and John were the leaders of the church in Jerusalem.

And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. (Gal. 2:9)
True, they were probably elders (shepherds or pastors). Right before that in Galatians 2:6 it says:

"And from those who seemed to be influential (what they were makes no difference to me; God shows no partiality)—those, I say, who seemed influential added nothing to me."

They were shepherds but not above anyone else. In 3 John 1:1, John—assuming John was the author—introduces himself as "The elder." In v.9 he says: "I have written to the church about this, but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, will not accept our instruction." Here is an example of someone who was trying to put himself in a position of more importance than the rest. John clearly denounces this behavior.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Perspective and background is always different for different people. In the context of church I like the idea of "governing" better than "oversight." Just like the government takes care of its people (Ha! Hmmm?) so a church leader cares for his church people. "Oversight" to me stinks of someone on top looking down their nose at me!
My perspective and background is the New Testament. It never mentions an office of governor in the church, as far as I'm aware.

The elders and other shepherds are called overseers (episkopois). Not in the sense of being better than anyone but caring for and protecting the flock.

But it's not worth quibbling over.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Paul, an apostle (although not an "Apostle of the Lamb") left Titus in Crete to appoint elders in every city.

So Paul sent Titus to appoint elders. This was an apostle, sending an apostle (for "apostle" simply means "sent one") to appoint elders. Timothy was likewise charged by Paul. Anyone who desires the office of an elder must have the character fitting an elder and be appointed by an apostle.

Unearthed

May 18, 2021
The "in crowd"... do you mean the other elders of the church?

Or perhaps visiting pastors/elders from neighborhood or sister churches? :unsure:
No the in-crowd, as @Chester understood it.
A small-ish group of young-ish people who spend their time brown-nosing the lead pastor in order to gain favor.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I've looked and looked in the New Testament but can't find a justification for a "head pastor" of a church in a position of preeminence over everyone else. Where did this idea come from?
“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:3-4‬ ‭

false teachings and gathering of people deciding how it should be rather than following what’s written and is faithful and true as you have discovered

the true design promotes unity “ two or three with a word speak it , the rest hear it and consider if it’s of worth some would have tongues others would interpret , some dreamed dreams and others understood prophecy , some were gifted to teach scripture others were to pastor the flock the pastor was more of the leader and administrative leader so as not the preacher himself but each had order and gifts

we change Gods word we always do that

de-emerald

May 8, 2021
Each person in christ is given a measure of faith, each gift is considered equally important as the other Gift. such as serving or teaching is equally important as giving.

I think a pastor would know this. I would think a pastor would be Given a bigger measure of faith than a person who is not a pastor. but does that make my faith any less, I would say not. I would imagine in a church you may have a young pastor and a senior pastor. The senior pastor may be retiring and teaching a junior pastor etc.
The young pastor will go to the senior pastor for Guidance whilst starting of. The measure of faith would be higher in a long serving senior pastor. so i guess the term head pastor could come from this.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
You can't find it because it's not there. The role of Pastor has been magnified way above what is biblical. It is a remnant of Catholicism that refuses to go away.

The church should be governed by elders, who are appointed by apostles. That's not so easy these days, of course. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of churches in China were founded by Watchman Nee, an apostle indeed and who followed the Bible pattern, not traditions of men. The church in China has prospered in spite intense persecution. If one leader is imprisoned, others can take his place because the church there is not a one man band.

Francis Chan is on the right track. He rejects the megachurch model and founds home based churches. Christians have much greater motivation to grow because they can't depend on a pastor to live their lives for them.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Would an elder, as mentioned in Acts 14, be considered a pastor?
Elders should be able to teach. The idea of one man preaching and teaching continually is not biblical. Pastor burnout is a thing because too much emphasis is placed on his role. People seem to have the attitude that because they pay him, he is theirs 24/7. It's just wrong.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Some scholars attribute formal Church governance to the Constantinian Church. Prior to that, there were Elders and Deacons but not the strong central organizations we see in todays church. There are some who claim that the Constantinian Church was a requirement for Governmental control.

Fascinating if controversial issue.
The catholic church structure remains even if a lot of doctrine has changed. It puts the church in a straitjacket, promotes people who are not chosen by God and hinders people who are gifted by God. As a 1950's firebrand put it, "They call themselves Pillars of the Church. In reality, they are columns holding out revival". I think it was Bob Harrington.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
I absolutely agree about church structure hindering God's truth.