Which gospel should I believe to be saved ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2021
So, if I read this story to someone and they believed this scripture, (with no mention of Jesus Christ and His death, burial and resurrection) would that person be saved?
If they were living during Genesis thru Exodus = YES = SEE Post #48 for clarity

The Gospel was given by God "Here a little and there a little" until the Time was for Him to send the SON.

Whom will he teach knowledge?
And whom will he make to understand the message?
Those just weaned from milk?
Those just drawn from the breasts?
For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept,
Line upon line, line upon line,
Here a little, there a little.”
Isaiah 28

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I tried to read all the posts but it strained my eyes quite a lot but from I can gather there seems to be confusaion about the gospel. For the record repentance is part of salvation because repentance is what brings us to that point where we can receive the gospel otherwise it will be just like the parable where the seeds fall of rocky ground. Second the old testament and the new testament are not the same thing because the gospel was preached under a new covanent with man the one promised in the old testament was given in the new testament it is not a difference in the gospel rather the covenant in which it is under.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the only one that saves any other gospel is not from God and cannot save but in order to receive the gospel into your heart you have to have a repentant heart because something very wise to remember is that there is a difference between hearing the gospel with your ears and hearing it with your heart

Aug 2, 2021
I tried to read all the posts but it strained my eyes quite a lot but from I can gather there seems to be confusaion about the gospel. For the record repentance is part of salvation because repentance is what brings us to that point where we can receive the gospel otherwise it will be just like the parable where the seeds fall of rocky ground. Second the old testament and the new testament are not the same thing because the gospel was preached under a new covanent with man the one promised in the old testament was given in the new testament it is not a difference in the gospel rather the covenant in which it is under.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the only one that saves any other gospel is not from God and cannot save but in order to receive the gospel into your heart you have to have a repentant heart because something very wise to remember is that there is a difference between hearing the gospel with your ears and hearing it with your heart
Dear Brother you are 100% CORRECT on the Two Covenants.

However, the SAME Gospel was Preached by God from Genesis thru to Revelation.

Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”
Hebrews ch4

And what is the "Finished Work from the Foundation of the World"??? = His Sabbath REST = the Gospel of GOD

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Understanding the True Gospel is not easy, thus the below Scripture should concern ALL who profession to be "Christians." Do we understand the Mysterious Plan of God? Has this True Mystery been revealed and placed into our hearts? I used to think that I had firm understanding of the Word of God . . . as it turned out . . . I was utterly clueless.

Ephesians 3:3-6 NLT - "As I briefly wrote earlier, God himself revealed his mysterious plan to me. As you read what I have written, you will understand my insight into this plan regarding Christ. God did not reveal it to previous generations, but now by his Spirit he has revealed it to his holy apostles and prophets. And this is God's plan: Both Gentiles and Jews who believe the Good News share equally in the riches inherited by God's children. Both are part of the same body, and both enjoy the promise of blessings because they belong to Christ Jesus."

So, as we read the OT, if we accept what Paul taught above, we are forced to conclude that we cannot look at Scripture simply at surface level alone, for in by doing so, we will remain ignorant. This also means that the Scripture that DavidTree provided above was elusive to nearly all from times past. Again, Paul explains why below:

Quoting Isaiah 29:10 -

Romans 11:7-8 NLT - "So this is the situation: Most of the people of Israel have not found the favor of God they are looking for so earnestly. A few have--the ones God has chosen--but the hearts of the rest were hardened. As the Scriptures say, "God has put them into a deep sleep. To this day he has shut their eyes so they do not see, and closed their ears so they do not hear."

Again, nearly everyone who read those Old Testament passages, even "back in the day," was not able to recognize the Gospel. However, to whom God shall reveal Himself . . . this is His prerogative, hence Exodus 33:19 (below):

Exodus 33:19 KJV - "And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy."

Ultimately, Grace and Mercy are best expressed through Circumcision of the Heart, for without this specific Circumcision, "Understanding" is most literally impossible. To Understand Scripture, and this applies to all people for all time, the above-expressed Grace and Mercy must be expressed in Spiritual Circumcision BEFORE Knowledge is converted into Wisdom.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
We are not Israel.
We are not Gentiles.
You’re out of options. There aren’t many cases where there are two and only two options, but this is one of them.

There is far more in your post that I could address; it’s replete with erroneous assertions.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
So, if I read this story to someone and they believed this scripture, (with no mention of Jesus Christ and His death, burial and resurrection) would that person be saved?
The Father gave me Jesus one day, and dthe Holy Spirit the following day.

I had not read the Word until that second day when I was led to a book opned face down, I picked it up and began to read. Every letter jumped out to me and every word went straight to my heart. The Book was the Bible and the Prophet was Isaiah.

Previous to this, on many occasions, I had tried to read the Bible and I could not, for it made no sense to me. On that day;;; and ever since, it makes all sense to mw.

So YES, if the Maker of all that is wants a person to come to Him, he will use those verses to bring him on in.

Mar 4, 2020
Are all here aware that Abraham was given the very same Gospel as we. He is the first to have received this good news from God, from Jesus Yeshua.

Read the Old Testament before judging it,, please.
Where does it say Abraham was given the gospel of Christ? I don't recall anything where Abraham was told about the life, death, and resurrection of Christ and the promise of grace through faith, forgiveness of all sins, etc.

Hann57

Jan 2, 2018
Where does it say Abraham was given the gospel of Christ? I don't recall anything where Abraham was told about the life, death, and resurrection of Christ and the promise of grace through faith, forgiveness of all sins, etc.
The gospel of Christ ? I never said that.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The word, Gospel, in the Bible refers to One. Do not fear not understanding this, however if you have faith, hou will believe this.
This is not some kind of dare, no, it is simply trute.

Hann57

Jan 2, 2018
The Gospel is very, very difficult to understand, which is why virtually no "christians" talk about it.

Here is the best description of the Gospel that I've ever heard:

1) The Purpose of Christ
2) The Work of Christ
3) The Effect of Christ

I've never heard of a "pastor" preach on the Effect of Christ, for if they did, they'd have to preach the Work of Christ. And again, who teaches the Work of Christ. Oh, yes . . . they teach the Purpose of Christ, hence virtually all Christians know John 3:16. But do they relate the Purpose of Christ to the below? I've never heard of anyone promoting the below verse:

1 John 3:8 NKJV - "He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil."

So, how does Jesus do that, exactly? Who knows the answer to this? DavidTree, who posted above knows, but who else?

It isn't enough to describe the Gospel through simple chapter titles, like the three points above. And no . . . those three points are NOT the Gospel, but only descriptive words. However, the Gospel is to be explained, and again, this is the plight of today's modern-day church and their horrific leaders and teachers (today's example of yesterday's Sadducees, Pharisees, and teachers of the law). It isn't enough to simply say, "The Gospel is the Good News of Jesus Christ!" But I have actually sent out emails to pastors across America, and each of them do two things:

1) They merely describe the Gospel of Christ . . . they cannot explain it.
2) Once I show these high-end "pastors" that they can [only] describe the Gospel, they scatter like flies in a tornado. Pathetic, it is Truly pathetic.

To finalize, if you're Truly interested in learning about the Gospel, send me an email at [email protected] and I'll share more. I promise to place you on a more wholesome path that will make your head spin (in a good way). The Gospel can be explained . . . wholly, by Scripture alone. And once you see these three points above, fully explained by Scripture alone, you won't need to be taught by humans anymore . . . the Spirit will take over and you'll be your own "man" or "woman," whichever you might be.

Respectfully . . .
I don't understand the gospel. I believe it. So I too am saved like those before me since Paul preached it.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If anyone understands Jesus through Paul or from anyone, that person believes, as long as he knows Jesus is Lord.

Hann57

Jan 2, 2018
Hanns57 ---you said -----Repentance has nothing to do with salvation.

I say ---again show the Scripture that says Repentance has nothing to do with Salvation

You make all these claims but you show no proof in scripture -----
Not here to debate. You were shown the gospel you must believe to be saved.

2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
2Th 1:9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

John146

Jan 13, 2016
If they were living during Genesis thru Exodus = YES = SEE Post #48 for clarity
So, you are saying the gospel message was incomplete? Bottom line, Paul's gospel was about the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus for sins. No other partial message is acceptable.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Romans
10:9 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10:10 For a man who believes in his heart can be justified; If you admit it, you can be saved.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
1 Peter 4:6
(NKJV) For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Dec 9, 2011
There is more than one gospel in the Bible.

The gospel God preached to Abraham.

Gal_3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Gal_3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

The gospel of the Kingdom.

Mat_4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

The everlasting gospel.

Rev_14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

Obviously we don't know the everlasting gospel because it is a future gospel.

And the gospel Paul preached.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Obviously all of the gospels are different.

God was dispensing his grace at different times to different peoples.

Abraham at that time was given the gospel " In thee shall all nations be blessed ".

Rom_4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

God was proclaiming the gospel to the Jewish Nation through Abraham.

Rom 15:8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

Israel was promised their kingdom of heaven would come to this earth.

Most of Israel did not accept Christ as their Messiah and her kingdom gospel that was preached by the Lord Jesus Christ.

The gospel Jesus preached is not our gospel.

We are not Israel.
We are not Gentiles.

Rom 15:9 And that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.
Rom 15:10 And again he saith, Rejoice, ye Gentiles, with his people.
Rom 15:11 And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people.
Rom 15:12 And again, Esaias saith, There shall be a root of Jesse, and he that shall rise to reign over the Gentiles; in him shall the Gentiles trust.

Anyone who is not saved is lost, Paul when he got saved was sent to the Heathens.

Gal 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
Gal 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Paul was given the gospel by Christ to give to us.

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

This is the gospel you must believe to be saved.

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
Romans 10:6-9
King James Version

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down [from above]:)

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, [even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
I don't understand the gospel.
That is a massive, colossal problem and most definitely an indictment against today's modern-day "church."

And because you plainly say that you do not understand the Gospel, it is highly unlikely that you're able to knock on a person's door and share it.

Unbelievable.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
If anyone understands Jesus through Paul or from anyone, that person believes, as long as he knows Jesus is Lord.
Uhhhh . . . whoa there. Satan believes that Jesus is Lord. Oh my goodness . . . .The perilous condition the "church" is in.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My reference is Jesus, Himself. He told a young man tht if he believed He is the Son of God he would be saved. This is the Gospel, for believing Jesus means doing, not simply lip service.

Yes, even the demons believe and tremble, but my reference is only to men.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Repentance has nothing to do with salvation. Someone told you lies.
Why not trust in what Christ has done for us, He died for our sins.
Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
“Repentance has nothing to do with salvation. Someone told you lies.”

actually they heard the truth

“I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭13:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

then of course from Paul

“And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭17:30-31‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:25-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Without repentance one has this

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:26-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

if we are serving sin without repentance we’re serving satans will and will receive satans rewards that’s a terrible position you’ve argued yourself into that “the need for sinners repentance is a lie “

sort of shows the roots of your doctrine and the fallacy it shouts