Who else plays guitar?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Share your favorite songs. Tips and tricks. Best sources to improve skills. Favorite instruments. Or discuss what is it about playing a instrument that makes it so fulfilling.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I’ve been playing the guitar, but I haven’t made much progress. I have improved but I didn’t ever make the time to learn songs. I just play my own stuff, by ear. Originals.

I don’t know why, but I didn’t ever find a song I wanted to learn and then I just wanted to play my own songs.

So my method seems to be that I need to learn more chords, so that I am able to have more sounds in my songs. Only problem is I haven’t been able to do barre chords. 😒

It’s a peculiar way to the learn the guitar, but some people think it’s a good idea so that you don’t get stuck in someone else’s lane, and you pave your own style.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I found myself struggling to find a video of songs where they break down the strumming pattern and tempo, and so it’s like “Just do this.” Lol Which I was able to hear a rhythm and replicate it (when a pastor offered me a couple free lessons). He said to feel what he is playing and then I started strumming and it came out sounding just like his (without all the chords).

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I’ve been playing the guitar, but I haven’t made much progress. I have improved but I didn’t ever make the time to learn songs. I just play my own stuff, by ear. Originals.

I don’t know why, but I didn’t ever find a song I wanted to learn and then I just wanted to play my own songs.

So my method seems to be that I need to learn more chords, so that I am able to have more sounds in my songs. Only problem is I haven’t been able to do barre chords. 😒

It’s a peculiar way to the learn the guitar, but some people think it’s a good idea so that you don’t get stuck in someone else’s lane, and you pave your own style.
Learning the basic chords like G,D,C, and A is a good start since 100s of songs only use 2 to 4 chords. Also a bar chord can be surpassed if you know where to Kapo at. By changing the key of the song it can help because different keys have different chords. The chords will sound the same though but will only sound higher or lower. Usually transposing a song to key of G helps.

Learning the tempo is crucial when playing with a band. By yourself it really doesn't matter as long as the song sounds good. Staying in rhythm help the band stay in sync. Which is for me right now is what I am learning after 10 years of playing by myself, now being challenged to play with others. It can be hard because now I do have to think about tempo and strum patterns.

A good app called yousician is kinda cool as it has lessons and songs that play like guitar hero but you are using your guitar and trying to hit the chords at the right times.

Diva

Sep 11, 2018
Share your favorite songs. Tips and tricks. Best sources to improve skills. Favorite instruments. Or discuss what is it about playing a instrument that makes it so fulfilling.
I play violin :)

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Has to be one of my favorite instruments, such beauty in the harmonics and use of the bow to give the sound such a pitch than ignites the mind in awe.

I have never tried to play one but love to listen to them.

Diva

Sep 11, 2018
Has to be one of my favorite instruments, such beauty in the harmonics and use of the bow to give the sound such a pitch than ignites the mind in awe.

Yes... I love it too... :)

up

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
... raises hand... I do😎

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Me too! My introduction to classical music was initially through listening to Pachelbel's Canon and Gigue for 3 violins and basso continuo in D, which is his most famous composition. CBC radio used to play a snippet of it every day as a space/time filler coming up to their 3 o'clock news, and over time it piqued my interest so much I bought an LP with it on it. The rest of the LP was Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and thus began my love of classical music.

I played guitar for many years. One was first put in my hands as an 18 year old but I did not catch the bug at that time. Two years later following a particularly bad heart break a guitar was once again put in my hands, and I was shown a simple chord (A minor) to play and move up and down the neck (to the third and fifth fret and back down to the third to return to the first) while my friends played and sang a song. I got hooked at that point, because the instrument seemed to allow me to tap into and express feelings that needed to be expressed and yet would have been difficult to find words for. For many years after that, a guitar was my constant companion, and those friends and I spent a lot of time jamming together, learning songs from each other, and teaching each other the things we learned on our own. My whole world revolved around making music and hanging out with others whose passion was music.

My favorite artists back then were mostly rock and folk rock artists such as Neil Young, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin... Neil Young's Country Girl, A Man Needs A Maid; multiple songs from the Moody Blues' LPs Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, On the Threshold of a Dream, To Our Children's Children's Children, A Question of Balance, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, Seventh Sojourn... Led Zep's Tangerine, Over The Hills and Far Away; Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage... um, there are far to many songs for me to remember LOL. My repertoire was greatly expanded by the songs my friends taught me, which did include some other genres. You've Got A Friend, songs by Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles' songs (Across the Universe a personal fave), Blackbird, Norwegian Wood, gosh, yes, my life revolved around music for a number of years at that time.

I became quite adept at following others movements on their instruments, even if they played left handed and upside down. The only piece I taught myself by reading music was Beethoven's Ode To Joy. I used to busk and played that one a lot for the public. I have also attended open mic nights to sing and play, and recite poetry. Yikes. Haha, that was scary, and quite honestly I had to concentrate so hard on what my fingers were doing that it was quite some time before I could sing at the same time, so mostly I played the instrument and did not attempt the stage until many years after beginning to play guitar. I also composed some music :D Not much, but I was desirous of having my poetry put to music, so worked at that for a while also.

I still have two of my guitars :) One is an acoustic guitar I bought over forty years ago :D The other is an electric guitar with a small amp. Last year I played a little bit again after not having played for many years, but my creative endeavors have mostly moved in a different direction these days.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I would love to play guitar and or piano. Maybe someday, I will follow through with said desire. Until then, I love listening. My dear sister friend and daughter play the piano and sing while the their Dad/hubby joins them as he plays the guitar. I so appreciate quietly listening to them as they often sing praise and worship songs. It is such a blessing. If I know the lyrics, I will join them. When they do somewhere over the rainbow, my mr bill singing voice joins them, haha. They are very patient, lol.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Me too! My introduction to classical music was initially through listening to Pachelbel's Canon and Gigue for 3 violins and basso continuo in D, which is his most famous composition. CBC radio used to play a snippet of it every day as a space/time filler coming up to their 3 o'clock news, and over time it piqued my interest so much I bought an LP with it on it. The rest of the LP was Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and thus began my love of classical music.

I played guitar for many years. One was first put in my hands as an 18 year old but I did not catch the bug at that time. Two years later following a particularly bad heart break a guitar was once again put in my hands, and I was shown a simple chord (A minor) to play and move up and down the neck (to the third and fifth fret and back down to the third to return to the first) while my friends played and sang a song. I got hooked at that point, because the instrument seemed to allow me to tap into and express feelings that needed to be expressed and yet would have been difficult to find words for. For many years after that, a guitar was my constant companion, and those friends and I spent a lot of time jamming together, learning songs from each other, and teaching each other the things we learned on our own. My whole world revolved around making music and hanging out with others whose passion was music.

My favorite artists back then were mostly rock and folk rock artists such as Neil Young, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin... Neil Young's Country Girl, A Man Needs A Maid; multiple songs from the Moody Blues' LPs Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, On the Threshold of a Dream, To Our Children's Children's Children, A Question of Balance, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, Seventh Sojourn... Led Zep's Tangerine, Over The Hills and Far Away; Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, Brain Damage... um, there are far to many songs for me to remember LOL. My repertoire was greatly expanded by the songs my friends taught me, which did include some other genres. You've Got A Friend, songs by Simon and Garfunkel, Beatles' songs (Across the Universe a personal fave), Blackbird, Norwegian Wood, gosh, yes, my life revolved around music for a number of years at that time.

I became quite adept at following others movements on their instruments, even if they played left handed and upside down. The only piece I taught myself by reading music was Beethoven's Ode To Joy. I used to busk and played that one a lot for the public. I have also attended open mic nights to sing and play, and recite poetry. Yikes. Haha, that was scary, and quite honestly I had to concentrate so hard on what my fingers were doing that it was quite some time before I could sing at the same time, so mostly I played the instrument and did not attempt the stage until many years after beginning to play guitar. I also composed some music :D Not much, but I was desirous of having my poetry put to music, so worked at that for a while also.

I still have two of my guitars :) One is an acoustic guitar I bought over forty years ago :D The other is an electric guitar with a small amp. Last year I played a little bit again after not having played for many years, but my creative endeavors have mostly moved in a different direction these days.
I for one, would love to hear ya sing and play. Just saying.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I for one, would love to hear ya sing and play. Just saying.
My outgoing message on my voice mailbox used to have part of one of my own compositions on it :D However, over the years as the telephone system has been upgraded and changed so many times, all the original things I had saved there sadly disappeared. I did play a little bit for Bob on Skype. That would have been last spring, before we started using our cams with each other :) I also played a few times before a neighborhood group community church meeting started. Oh, I forgot to mention Heart, songs like Crazy On You and Dreamboat Annie. It was many years before I could hear a song and figure out the key and chords by myself, which I did with some REM songs and songs from Counting Crows' August and Everything After, especially "Mr. Jones." They opened up for Rob Thomas a few years back. My daughter and I went to that concert together :D Oh! And how could I neglect to mention Dire Straits? Mark Knopfler is one of my musical heroes, and so are U2, and of course I knew some of their songs, too. I even attempted to learn Mason Williams' Classical Gas, though I never came anywhere near mastering it :giggle:

But that reminds me, and this is a story in itself, for it while while conversing with a young guitarist online that I first stumbled into doing apologetics online. God really does move in mysterious ways :):):)

up

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I will post a video since no one has yet...just a song that just so happens to be on... so i share...

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Learning the basic chords like G,D,C, and A is a good start since 100s of songs only use 2 to 4 chords. Also a bar chord can be surpassed if you know where to Kapo at. By changing the key of the song it can help because different keys have different chords. The chords will sound the same though but will only sound higher or lower. Usually transposing a song to key of G helps.

Learning the tempo is crucial when playing with a band. By yourself it really doesn't matter as long as the song sounds good. Staying in rhythm help the band stay in sync. Which is for me right now is what I am learning after 10 years of playing by myself, now being challenged to play with others. It can be hard because now I do have to think about tempo and strum patterns.

A good app called yousician is kinda cool as it has lessons and songs that play like guitar hero but you are using your guitar and trying to hit the chords at the right times.
I grew up w/ older sibs who started to learn the piano, guitar, uke, harmonica... Their piano teacher was so strict they decided to stop lessons. But I thot to teach myself up to high school and college.. just searched for music sheets and those they used. Tried the guitar, but my fingers were so weak, so yes I could use say A D E and play simple songs. But cannot play it as in public gatherings, just to sing at home and for a sun school class=). Violin I first tried abt 2 yrs ago, and we've been good friends, but ive played it for a grp of preschoolers only once, at a school event, and not as hard to do left hand fingering as the guitar, well for me. I take this lockdown as a chance to practice abt twice a day, thankfully even w/o music sheets, as I learned it by ear, unlike piano where i'm helpless w/o those=). Was just hoping to start playing w/ others in church, but the lockdown.. so doing what I can to improve while theres time.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I grew up w/ older sibs who started to learn the piano, guitar, uke, harmonica... Their piano teacher was so strict they decided to stop lessons. But I thot to teach myself up to high school and college.. just searched for music sheets and those they used. Tried the guitar, but my fingers were so weak, so yes I could use say A D E and play simple songs. But cannot play it as in public gatherings, just to sing at home and for a sun school class=). Violin I first tried abt 2 yrs ago, and we've been good friends, but ive played it for a grp of preschoolers only once, at a school event, and not as hard to do left hand fingering as the guitar, well for me. I take this lockdown as a chance to practice abt twice a day, thankfully even w/o music sheets, as I learned it by ear, unlike piano where i'm helpless w/o those=). Was just hoping to start playing w/ others in church, but the lockdown.. so doing what I can to improve while theres time.
Yes this lockdown has given me hours and hours of practicing lol

up

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
just pondering...
that the people on hear that play would be spectacular to play one day all together and have multitude of Blessings 😁

up

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
My outgoing message on my voice mailbox used to have part of one of my own compositions on it :D However, over the years as the telephone system has been upgraded and changed so many times, all the original things I had saved there sadly disappeared. I did play a little bit for Bob on Skype. That would have been last spring, before we started using our cams with each other :) I also played a few times before a neighborhood group community church meeting started. Oh, I forgot to mention Heart, songs like Crazy On You and Dreamboat Annie. It was many years before I could hear a song and figure out the key and chords by myself, which I did with some REM songs and songs from Counting Crows' August and Everything After, especially "Mr. Jones." They opened up for Rob Thomas a few years back. My daughter and I went to that concert together :D Oh! And how could I neglect to mention Dire Straits? Mark Knopfler is one of my musical heroes, and so are U2, and of course I knew some of their songs, too. I even attempted to learn Mason Williams' Classical Gas, though I never came anywhere near mastering it :giggle:

But that reminds me, and this is a story in itself, for it while while conversing with a young guitarist online that I first stumbled into doing apologetics online. God really does move in mysterious ways :):):)

thank you so much...

now,
i have this in my head and hears another version... but what a fun song to play... you rock, magentas😎😁😄

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I play guitar, and have been doing so for (ulp) about 35 years. My skills are nowhere near what they could be for that time, but I enjoy it, and I play at church regularly. That said, at home I prefer to noodle and play my own compositions. I started with a cheap Yamaha classical (which I still have) and later invested in a steel-string Larrivee. I just noticed yesterday that my good guitar has a cracked top, so I'll need to be careful with it until I can get it some TLC.

Odelschwanck

Jan 7, 2015
I learned guitar at 14 and messed around with bass at 18 but I'm severely out of practice.