Who Justifieth the Ungodly

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
read the next verse, brightfame52

Titus 3:

7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

again ... keep reading, brightfame53

Romans 3:

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Why do you continue to insist that when a person believes, they are not justified by grace? ... or that faith / believing somehow negates God's grace ?

God is very specific in telling us that faith/believing is essential, notwithstanding your obvious contempt concerning faith/believing ...

Romans 10:

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

The words "confess" in vs 9 and the "confession" in vs 10 are translated from the Greek word homologeō which means to voice the same conclusion, i.e. agree ("confess"); to profess (confess) because in full agreement; to align with.

When we confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord, we are agreeing with what we have heard from Scripture. So when we tell someone the gospel, it is important that we speak what is in God's Word concerning the Lord Jesus Christ and salvation. Otherwise, someone may "agree" with us, but if we're mouthing doctrines of men, that person may not be born again, not because they don't want to believe, but because we have misrepresented the gospel ... it is the gospel which is the power of God unto salvation ...

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
I see your opposition to Justification by Grace.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
I understand your post 884 and I understand God's Word concerning justification of the ungodly.

I do not agree with you that the ungodly are justified apart from faith. That is your premise (i.e. that the ungodly are justified before they believe) and I disagree with that because Scripture plainly states that a person is justified by faith.

I agree that the Lord Jesus Christ died for the ungodly ... all mankind.

Christ having died for the ungodly does not justify the ungodly. The ungodly are justified when they believe God's Word Therefore being justified by faith (Rom 5:1).

And keep in mind that it is not the faith of the one who believes which justifies the believer ... it is the object of the believer's faith which brings justification which is why faith is not works ... because it is in Whom faith is placed ... the Whom justifies ... not the faith of the one who believes.

Let's see what Abraham believed:

Genesis 15:

1 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

2 And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.

4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.

5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.

6 And he [Abraham] believed in the LORD; and he [God] counted it to him [Abraham] for righteousness.

Abraham believed what God told him ... that he would have a child and that his descendants would be innumerable.
If you dont understand Justification of the ungodly before God apart from their faith/believing, but solely by the death of Christ for them, then you dont understand that God Justified the ungodly, for the ungodly person is void of Faith.

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
If you dont understand Justification of the ungodly before God apart from their faith/believing, but solely by the death of Christ for them, then you dont understand that God Justified the ungodly, for the ungodly person is void of Faith.
Who is the "us" in Romans 4:25

Romans 4:24 but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness—for us who believe in him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. 25 He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification. ROMANS 4 from beginning to end is about JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH.

Mar 23, 2016
The Lord Jesus Christ in His Resurrection from the dead declares those He died for Justified before they themselves believe. Rom 4:25

25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
There's a reason you refuse to include the context within which the verse sits.

Context = The context of an idea or event is the general situation that relates to it, and which helps it to be understood

(https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/context)

If a statement or remark is quoted out of context, the circumstances in which it was said are not correctly reported, so that it seems to mean something different from the meaning that was intended

(https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/out-of-context)

brightfame52 said:
Now the Lord Jesus Christ as the Head of His Church which is comprised of both OT and NT Believers
nope ... if that were the case, the Lord Jesus Christ would not have told His disciples that He would (future tense) build His church

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The words "I will build" are in the future tense. This means that His Church had not yet been established.

and fyi, the "Rock" upon which the Lord Jesus Christ referred to is the truth uttered by Peter in answer to a question the Lord Jesus Christ had asked His disciples:

Matthew 16:

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

the words uttered by Peter are the "Rock" upon which the Lord Jesus Christ referred to when He told His disciples upon this rock I will build [future tense] my church

brightfame52 said:
they as His Body, He as their Head
a person does not become part of the body of the Lord Jesus Christ (of which He is the Head) until he or she is born again. A person is not born again until he or she believes the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ:

Romans 1:16 KJV - 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it [the gospel] is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

brightfame52 said:
Isa 45:25

25 In the Lord shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory.
replacement theology ... another erroneous dogma to which you cling :cry:

Mar 23, 2016
I understand what your erroneous dogma teaches. I do not agree because your dogma does not align with Scriputre.

Align your dogma with Scripture ... quit manipulating Scripture to align with your dogma.

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
All for whom Christ died are Justified before God by His Death alone, because by His death for them, His blood shed for them, which is the same as His death for them, it makes them Holy, and if Holy, then Justified, and this is true because of this Truth Heb 13:12

Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered [died] without the gate.

This word sanctify means :

to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow

2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God

a) consecrate things to God

b) dedicate people to God

3) to purify

a) to cleanse externally

b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin

c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

Notice ALSO that His Death ensures their renewing of the soul, which is this Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

But the writer of Hebrews here in Heb 13:12 means:

"the expiation of the guilt of sin, which Christ has fully took away; complete pardon being procured, and a perfect righteousness brought in:"

All for whom He died are freed/Justified from sin by His Body Rom 6:7

7 For he that is dead [with Christ] is freed from sin.

This word freed means:

to render righteous or such he ought to be

2) to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered

3) to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

All for whom Christ died is dead . In fact, in the greek it reads " having died"

That occurred [having died] when He died for all 2 Cor 5:14

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

The greek reads " then all died"

2 Cor 5:14

14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;

Its the same principle, as when adam died, all for whom He represented died, and so all for whom Christ represented, when He died, they died.

And this being the case, they are freed or Justified from sin. That is what His Resurrection declares of all for whom offences He died Rom 4:25

25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

So Rom 4:25 here and Rom 6:7 teach the same thing, Justification before God from all sin by Christ's Death alone !

This also is the same as was prophesied to occur based upon His Covenant Death Lk 1:74-75

74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

Also Heb 10:10 confirms that Christ's Death alone Sanctified forever, all those He was delivered in behalf of !

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow

2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God

a) consecrate things to God

b) dedicate people to God

3) to purify

a) to cleanse externally

b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin

c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

Mar 23, 2016
All for whom Christ died are Justified before God
John 3:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

brightfame52 said:
Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Titus 3:

3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.

4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done [Romans 4:1-5 clarifies we are justified by faith and faith is not works], but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

The Lord Jesus Christ died for all mankind ... all the sins of mankind ... those who believe are justified before God.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
John 3:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Titus 3:

3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.

4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done [Romans 4:1-5 clarifies we are justified by faith and faith is not works], but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

The Lord Jesus Christ died for all mankind ... all the sins of mankind ... those who believe are justified before God.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Still All for whom Christ died are Justified before God

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Justified before believing.

That those who Christ died for are Justified before God before believing in Him is seen here in Paul's words Rom 4:5

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

That Justifieth the ungodly is in the present tense, they are in a state of ungodliness, also the definite article precedes the ungodly, so its the whole of the elect, all whom Christ died for, being Justified by His death while they are being ungodly or in a lost state.

And its no where in scripture where the believer in Christ is stated to be the ungodly or in a ungodly state.

Oh Yes they are noted as being ungodly before they believe as when it is said that Christ died for the Ungodly before they believed Rom 5:6

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

It was Christ's Death itself, that Justified them, while they were ungodly in themselves, because He bare their sins Isa 53:11

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

And after that [bearing their sins] He was raised from the dead, which Resurrection declared He and them because of it, Justified before God, Rom 4:25

Hence, His dying for the Ungodly Rom 5:6, the resurrection says that dying for them declared them Justified in Him that bare their sins; And ones act of believing had nothing to do with God raising Christ from the dead, Justifying Him from bearing our sins. 7

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Justified before believing 2

Hence, His dying for the Ungodly Rom 5:6, the resurrection says that dying for them declared them Justified in Him that bare their sins; And ones act of believing had nothing to do with God raising Christ from the dead, Justifying Him from bearing our sins.

Also we know that those Christ died for are Justified[before God's law and Justice] before they believe, by His Death alone, because they are at the same time, by Christ's death alone, reconciled to God even while they themselves by nature are enemies. Rom 5:10 ! The word enemies is the greek word"echthros" opposing (God) in the mind, as in Col 1:21

21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

At that time believers were unbelievers, however even then as unbelievers they were reconciled to God. That word reconciled katallassō means return to favour with, be reconciled to one

c) to receive one into favour

So understand, because of Christ's Death for those He died for, even while they are in a state of opposing God in their minds with and by wicked works, they have been by God, because of Christ's Death for them, received into His Divine Favour, He is 100% placated in regards to them. He is on a friendly relations with them while they oppose Him and are being unbelievers. How can such then not also be Justified while they are being Ungodly ? They are in the Favor of God !

That word favour means:

to prefer; treat with partiality: The father favored his younger son.

God because of Christ, treats those Christ died for with partiality, with preferential treatment, because others whom Christ did not die for, while they are in unbelief and being enemies, they are already condemned Jn 3:18 and His wrath is abiding on them Jn 3:36 and such have not been received into the favour of God by Christ's Death.

All for whom Christ died were Justified before God with Christ, their Shepherd when He rose from the dead with God being at peace with Him for us Heb 13:20

20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

Yes, when Christ was brought again from the dead after having died for His Sheep Jn 10:15, God was at peace with Him and His Sheep whom He died for, Hence " The God of Peace" Because He is at peace and reconciled to His Sheep by the Death and blood of their Shepherd.

We know this denotes His and their Justification because of Rom 4:25

25 Who[The Shepherd] was delivered for our[The Sheep's] offences, and was raised again for our[The Sheep's] justification.

Hence they [the Sheep] were Justified before they believed.

Now Paul stated the Justification of the Elect or Sheep by God based upon Two premiss:

Rom 8:33-34

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

#1 premise " It is Christ that died " So His Death and #2 He is risen again !

Christ dying and who was raised [ because of our Justification] and this is the basis of His Present intercession !

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Many of the opponents of the Truth of Justification before God before Faith or believing, they appeal to such scriptures that indicate that one is Justified by Faith or through Faith similar to Rom 3:30

30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

or Rom 5:1

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

However as those scriptures are True, those who believe are Justified by Faith, yet no matter how true that may be, it does not contradict nor deny Justification before God, based on the merits of Christ alone, before Faith or before believing. They are mere different aspects of the same Justification to be considered and believed; The Fact of the matter is this, before one can be Justified by Faith which is Justification being declared as True to us by the Gospel, Justification before God had to have existed before that declaration can be given to God given Faith.

Yes, believers are Justified by Faith Rom 5:1 since their Justification has been revealed to them and they now embrace it consciously, but their receiving it consciously is not the Act of God Justifying them before His Mind.

If a King legally acquits a prisoner on Tuesday, and the prisoner receives the good news of the acquittal that following Friday, his receiving it had no bearing on what occurred on Tuesday, he just received the good news of it in his own mind and heart later on that Friday ! Upon his receiving that good news, he becomes acquitted by Faith, he believes in or rests in the message of the good news brought to him by the Kings messenger !

Mar 23, 2016
Still All for whom Christ died are Justified before God
(1) God so loved the world ... iow the Lord Jesus Christ died for THE WHOLE WORLD (all of mankind ... not just some subgroup your erroneous dogma proclaims); and (2) the one requirement to have everlasting life is to believe.

John 3:

Romans 4:

20 He [Abraham] staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

21 And being fully persuaded that, what he [God] had promised, he [God] was able also to perform.

22 And therefore it [Abraham's faith] was imputed to him for righteousness.

23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it [righteousness] was imputed to him;

24 But for us also, to whom it [righteousness] shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ

Mar 23, 2016
That those who Christ died for are Justified before God before believing in Him is seen here in Paul's words Rom 4:5

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
God justifies those who believe. When a person believes, his/her faith is counted for righteousness ... not before a person believes.

brightfame52 said:
the definite article precedes the ungodly, so its the whole of the elect, all whom Christ died for, being Justified by His death while they are being ungodly or in a lost state.
The Lord Jesus Christ died to save the whole world ... all mankind ... not some subgroup ("elect").

John 3:

brightfame52 said:
And its no where in scripture where the believer in Christ is stated to be the ungodly or in a ungodly state.
Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

All mankind is ungodly until they are born again ... even those who you call “Elect” are ungodly until such time as they believe the gospel.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it [the gospel] is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth ...

brightfame52 said:
And ones act of believing had nothing to do with God raising Christ from the dead, Justifying Him from bearing our sins.
If God had not raised the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead, then God's Word would fall apart because God made promise in Psalm 16:10 that His Holy One would not see corruption …

Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Acts 13:35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Mar 23, 2016
we know that those Christ died for are Justified[before God's law and Justice] before they believe, by His Death alone, because they are at the same time, by Christ's death alone, reconciled to God even while they themselves by nature are enemies.
nope … Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ

brightfame52 said:
Col 1:21

21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

At that time believers were unbelievers, however even then as unbelievers they were reconciled to God.
Read the verse again, brightfame52:

Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Yet now … not then (whatever point in the past you have determined based upon erroneous dogma).

rightfame52 said:
God because of Christ, treats those Christ died for with partiality ...
:rolleyes:

2 Chronicles 19:7 Wherefore now let the fear of the LORD be upon you; take heed and do it: for there is no iniquity with the LORD our God, nor respect of persons, nor taking of gifts.

Romans 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Ephesians 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

brightfame52 said:
Rom 4:25

25 Who[The Shepherd] was delivered for our[The Sheep's] offences, and was raised again for our[The Sheep's] justification.

Hence they [the Sheep] were Justified before they believed.
nope … again you rip a verse from its context in order to promote your erroneous dogma. Read the verses before and after verse 25 in order to comprehend verse 25.

Romans 4:

24 But for us also, to whom it [righteousness] shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ

Mar 23, 2016
Many of the opponents of the Truth of Justification before God before Faith or believing ...
False premise … in 45+ pages, you have not proven your conjecture is “Truth” and you continue to deny the Truth of Scripture.

brightfame52 said:
They are mere different aspects of the same Justification to be considered and believed
:rolleyes: … more nonsense.

Here’s a verse you need to learn and keep in mind:

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ

brightfame52 said:
The Fact of the matter is this, before one can be Justified by Faith which is Justification being declared as True to us by the Gospel, Justification before God had to have existed before that declaration can be given to God given Faith.

Yes, believers are Justified by Faith Rom 5:1 since their Justification has been revealed to them and they now embrace it consciously, but their receiving it consciously is not the Act of God Justifying them before His Mind.
… wind of doctrine … God warns us about those. He gave us His Word so we wouldn’t be blown about and deceived:

Ephesians 4:14 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive

brightfame52 said:
If a King legally acquits a prisoner on Tuesday, and the prisoner receives the good news of the acquittal that following Friday, his receiving it had no bearing on what occurred on Tuesday, he just received the good news of it in his own mind and heart later on that Friday ! Upon his receiving that good news, he becomes acquitted by Faith, he believes in or rests in the message of the good news brought to him by the Kings messenger !
If you would just read God's Word and believe what is plainly written in Scripture, you wouldn't have to make up all these silly scenarios where you try to make God's Word somehow fit your erroneous dogma.

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!

Mar 12, 2022
Justification of the ungodly is not from the God of Israel:

Exodus 23:7 Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked.
8 And thou shalt take no gift: for the gift blindeth the wise, and perverteth the words of the righteous.

O

Oblio

When we turn to the God of Israel through faith in Jesus Christ, He justifies us.

Mar 12, 2022
If you believe in Him, you keep the commandments, because faith without works is dead. And if you keep the commandments, you are righteous, because he that doeth righteousness is righteous. And if you are righteous, you can be justified, because He will not justify the ungodly.

O

Oblio

I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. I have been saved by believing that accepting Christ's atonement for my sin through His death has imputed to me righteous standing in the Father's sight.
I'm saved by what He has done for me...period. Works are the result of saving faith, not the basis of it.
"…8For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance as our way of life.…" - Ephesians 2:8-10