Who was the mysterious young man?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
In Mark Chapter 15, verses 51 to 52, who was the young man who fled naked as Jesus was arrested?
I never even read that before I am now reading in my KJ Bible.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
In Mark Chapter 15, verses 51 to 52, who was the young man who fled naked as Jesus was arrested?
Mark himself.

The Gospel of Mark is not really Mark's story to begin with. It's the stories Peter told that Mark wrote down as encouraged by Ireneus or someone before he died. Mark was a non-stop companion of Peter's during and after Jesus's ascension into Heaven....Peter often repeated these stories ad-nauseum. And pay close attention to the "Sending of the 12" story and the staff is the big giveaway of what I'm saying is true.
The section in John 8 belongs in Mark's Gospel. (Writing style matches Mark's instead of John's)

In Luke's Gospel he tells how he tried to meet Jesus but was refused without actually naming himself. The apostles and disciples had to write themselves in but used the opportunity to make themselves seem laughable.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Mark himself.

The Gospel of Mark is not really Mark's story to begin with. It's the stories Peter told that Mark wrote down as encouraged by Ireneus or someone before he died. Mark was a non-stop companion of Peter's during and after Jesus's ascension into Heaven....Peter often repeated these stories ad-nauseum. And pay close attention to the "Sending of the 12" story and the staff is the big giveaway of what I'm saying is true.
The section in John 8 belongs in Mark's Gospel. (Writing style matches Mark's instead of John's)

In Luke's Gospel he tells how he tried to meet Jesus but was refused without actually naming himself. The apostles and disciples had to write themselves in but used the opportunity to make themselves seem laughable.
How intriguing.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
The things I revealed about the Gospels require a skill called hermeneutics.
Hermeneutics is a blend of the sciences (history, anthropology, geography and etc) and arts to really understand the scriptures in full context.

2,000+ years ago writing was something very very expensive to do. A Torah scroll (the five books of Moses) would cost the equivalent in excess of $100,000 (us)

So the writing was extremely concentrated and left out obvious details....well they were obvious 2,000 years ago in Egypt which is where he wrote the Gospel and founded several churches while at it.

ST. Mark's Coptic church is still in existence....they have a dedication to speaking in 4 languages things like the Lord's Prayer and fast so much of the year they only eat meat 50 days of the year. A big feast is coming soon on Easter Sunday for them where there will be several meats on the table...and boy howdy will they eat.
The current persecution of the Coptics in Egypt is severe....reminiscent of Black's in the 1950's in the South. (Not good at all)

rrcn

Oct 15, 2023
The Bible doesn’t identify the man which suggests ( to me) that his identity is not important for salvation.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The Bible doesn’t identify the man which suggests ( to me) that his identity is not important for salvation.
Not important for salvation but every word in the bible has importance.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
Not important for salvation but every word in the bible has importance.
That I agree with. There is reason for mentioning him. Reason I do not yet know.

Feb 15, 2024
Victoria, Australia
Everything that took place in the gospel was for a message and a sign:

51A young man, wearing nothing but a linen garment, was following Jesus. When they seized him, 52he fled naked, leaving his garment behind. Mark 14:51-52

The young man followed Jesus but at the point of tribulation he fleed leaving behind his garment.

The garment represents his faith in Jesus Christ, fleeing naked represents leaving behind his salvation in a times of testing.

The one overcoming thus will be clothed in white garments. And I will never blot out his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. Rev 3:5

And those upon the rock are those who receive the word with joy when they hear; and these have no root, who believe for a time, and in time of testing fall away. Luke 8:13

And I said to him, "My lord, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Rev 7:14

The best example of this is Peter denying Jesus Christ 3 times and Thomas needing proof by seeing to believe. Though it is more blessed to not have seen but believed or not to deny Himself, He still returned to them.