Why can't we do something not command in the Bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Please reword your original post.
He obviously wants to play "twenty questions". My next guess is... does he want to pick his nose?:giggle:

That would be ok, but try to get by yourself, be discreet, and put it in a tissue.;)(y)

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Sister, Paul isn't pitting the Law against the Spirit in chapter 5 or the entire book, saying "the Spirit supersedes the law". He's saying, the Spirit and the Law are in harmony but folks who try to perform cleansing tasks in the law, while STILL being evil to one another, do nothing to save/justify them in the law.

Paul says there IS a law against...:
- Adultery
- Fornication
- Uncleanness
- Lasciviousness
- Idolatry
- Witchcraft
- Hatred
- Variance
- Emulations
- Wrath
- Strife
- Seditions
- Heresies
- Envyings
- Murders
- Drunkenness
- Revellings, etc

...He then emphasizes that ANYONE doing the above will not inherit the kingdom.

But Paul adds there is NO law against...:
- Love
- Joy
- Peace
- Longsuffering
- Gentleness
- Goodness
- Faith
- Meekness
- Temperance

...and then concludes that we should operate by the 2nd list (Spirit), not the 1st list (Flesh) so we don't need to worry about violating the law...EVER.
Interesting , can I ask a simple question ? What exactly are you meaning by saying “ the law “

I’m only asking for clarification because I find this post interesting , sometimes a person is saying “ the Ten Commandments “ to then that’s the law

another person is talking about the law of Moses and all written in his book

another person is talking about all five of Moses books

can I ask what you are saying the law is in the references you are speaking of I mean ?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Interesting , can I ask a simple question ? What exactly are you meaning by saying “ the law “

I’m only asking for clarification because I find this post interesting , sometimes a person is saying “ the Ten Commandments “ to then that’s the law

another person is talking about the law of Moses and all written in his book

another person is talking about all five of Moses books

can I ask what you are saying the law is in the references you are speaking of I mean ?
Context matters, usually five books of Moses.

examples where books of Moses is meant,

1. Matthew 5:17
    Jesus and the Law
    “Don’t even begin to think that I have come to do away with the Law and the Prophets. I haven’t come to do away with them but to fulfill them.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Matthew 5:18
    I say to you very seriously that as long as heaven and earth exist, neither the smallest letter nor even the smallest stroke of a pen will be erased from the Law until everything there becomes a reality.
  3. Matthew 7:12
    Therefore, you should treat people in the same way that you want people to treat you; this is the Law and the Prophets.
  4. Matthew 11:13
    All the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John came.

The Torah contains 613 Laws, commands

Romans 2:15
They show the proof of the Law written on their hearts, and their consciences affirm it. Their conflicting thoughts will accuse them, or even make a defense for them,

Is an example that the moral laws command are written of their hearts.

In many contexts the law is the Torah.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Jesus and the Law
    “Don’t even begin to think that I have come to do away with the Law and the Prophets. I haven’t come to do away with them but to fulfill them.
    I say to you very seriously that as long as heaven and earth exist, neither the smallest letter nor even the smallest stroke of a pen will be erased from the Law until everything there becomes a reality.
    Therefore, you should treat people in the same way that you want people to treat you; this is the Law and the Prophets.

They show the proof of the Law written on their hearts, and their consciences affirm it. Their conflicting thoughts will accuse them, or even make a defense for them,

thank you for explaining it matters to understand how someone is meaning terms I appreciate your explaination

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Jesus and the Law

what are you meaning by law in your post I replied to ?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
what are you meaning by law in your post I replied to ?
I thought I was clear. The first four examples are from context means the Torah aka the first five books of the Bible aka the five books of Moses.

The Romans example the law refers to the moral commands from the Torah are written on people's hearts.

Note: in that culture the mind is in the heart.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

Jesus and the Law

Okay okay I got you now amen mi would just add this to support what you are saying about the morality of the law being imparted by the gospel

“For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭13:9-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

In other words if I love you Christs way , I will not kill , lie to you , cheat you , steal from you ect

but it’s all about what not to do , harming someone is a violation of love therefore sin , cheating on them , stealing ect that’s proof that our love is not right.

the reason we harm others is because our heart isnt right so to correct the morality issue written on our hearts

“For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭7:21-23‬ ‭

so the commandments can be written on our heart but not the Thou shalt nots it’s better aimed for thre heart wherethe problem is

“Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:27-28‬ ‭

the one for the heart is not about doing harm it’s about pre empting the sinful action that originates in our heart and mind

love isn’t only not harming others but it is to reach out and help them like the Good Samaritan that shows the inferiority of the law written on stone because it was external
And only addressed the results of hen issue the gospel word is living and active to change the issue

I agree the morality doesn’t go away it becomes a better path that’s able to
Keep Us as the law could not