Why do Catholics receive so much hate???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Locoponydirtman

So you think Catholicism is leading people to eternal destruction but at the same time are still friends and happy to have relatives who are Catholic?
maybe they are friends with you because they don't believe that, what's your excuse?
or is it the reason you are friends is because you recognize the essential sameness of your fundamental spiritual brotherhood in your heart, and only see the problem in your mind, in which case it is your theology that needs revision because you've recognised the actual truth but haven't processed it yet?
How ridiculous. Maybe he just don't want to hate them and end his relationship with them. I think that they know he converted away from Catholicism and I am very sure he tells them why when they have conversations. Wow?

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
If i understand this right you consider yourself a Catholic, but don't feel it's fair to be seen as being in line with the most common and predominant aspects of being a Catholic?
Sorry but u must have misunderstood my explanation of what happened in another forum...

Imagine starting a new job. First 6 months everyone is friendly. Then, after learning that you are Christian, one or two people start to hate on you, being hostile when ever you speak about anything simply because u are Christian. It's a form of discrimination.

And im not talking about theological disagreements or criticism of the RCC either

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
Eternal destruction, as in hell?
Seeing we are here which RCC doctrines send Catholics to hell?

WithinReason

Feb 21, 2020
It is unconfessed (to God) & unrepentant sin that brings people to destruction, for it means they have rejected Jesus.

Evil doctrines are of devils that ultimately teach people to continue in sin, such as the Mass (what is called 'Eucharist' [Host]), Auricular Confessional, Indulgences, immortal soul/spirit theology (immortalizes the old man of sin, cannot die), such things like eternal torment which blaspheme God's character, &c.

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
I live in a part of the UK called N Ireland, it has suffered the most bitterest bigotry and sectarianism for 100's of years, and in 1969 "the troubles" started, I lived through all of this, so I have seen this at its worst when so-called "Protestants" go out and murder innocent Roman Catholics and Irish Republicans terrorists, calling themselves the "Catholic Reaction Force" kill innocent Protestants. After "The Good Friday Agreement" the violence greatly reduced, but the sectarianism still continued and has even worsened, and more so from Protestants towards Roman Catholics.

I became a Christian in 1983, and even as a worldling the bigotry, hatred and sectarianism sickened me, so after I became a Christian I determined even more so never to have such in my heart against either, whether they were born again or not, I see the person and not the system they "belong" to. Neither Roman Catholicism or Protestantism has all the Truth, this is something each Christian has to seek out by searching the Scriptures for themselves.
I was most moved by your post my friend.
I don't know much about the Christian wars in N Ireland and i don't want to know because it's just so heart wrenching to see and hear how the evil one has divided us in the past. All I know is that many Christians killed each other over there, more than anywhere else in the world, i think thats probably all i need to know... We should never be enemies but the commandment to love them is something everyone should aspire to

Jun 22, 2020
Australia
what is called 'Eucharist' [Host]), Auricular Confessional, Indulgences, immortal soul/spirit theology
So are you saying they are sins? I don't even know what the last two are and had to google "Auricular Confessional"
I would of thought praying Hail Mary would be the first answer. Thats the one that gives me concern over the salvation of my parents.

Precepts

Nov 10, 2019
Why???

I was born and raised in a Catholic family. I walked away from God into the darkness before coming back...
When I came back to God I had a very basic understanding of Christianity and some false perceptions...
I read the bible and had some and had some serious concerns about the practices of my Catholic parents...
They're Portuguese and have always had a huge adoration for Fatima which I became very uncomfortable about it...
I still am uncomfortable and often pray to God to show them mercy if they have fallen into idolatry.

I joined a Catholic and was met with hostility so started to look for another church...
I thought that there were only a hand full of denominations and that they were all friendly to each other...
The amount of division and hatred was so distressing it often brought me tears...
Learning about God was a joy but learning about Christianity was agonizing...
I became so confused that I just decided to keep going to a Catholic church to worship God...

I joined a Christian forum and for 6 months it was all good. They were all friendly and welcoming...
I don't promote Catholicism, i don't defend Catholicism but people on that forum started to treat me differently...
People became more critical, more hostile and just straight out rude but i had no idea why...

I had changed my avatar to a picture of the Sacred Heart of Christ. Well, little did I know that it was a Catholic thing and little did i know that people would go from being friendly to being obnoxious because of that...

When i started an inquiry thread i got responses like "Catholics are..." or "the Vatican..."
I was either being generalized or i was being punished for the decisions made by the RCC in the past...
Not all Catholics are the same, we aren't robots and we have no authority over the Vatican's decisions either.

Why is that??? Im not saying everyone is like that but there are certain people that are.
They treat you like you a Satanist or something. Why???
It's because they don't obey God's commandments, "thinking to change laws and the times."

jb

Feb 27, 2010
I live in a part of the UK called N Ireland, it has suffered the most bitterest bigotry and sectarianism for 100's of years, and in 1969 "the troubles" started, I lived through all of this, so I have seen this at its worst when so-called "Protestants" go out and murder innocent Roman Catholics and Irish Republicans terrorists, calling themselves the "Catholic Reaction Force" kill innocent Protestants. After "The Good Friday Agreement" the violence greatly reduced, but the sectarianism still continued and has even worsened, and more so from Protestants towards Roman Catholics.

I became a Christian in 1983, and even as a worldling the bigotry, hatred and sectarianism sickened me, so after I became a Christian I determined even more so never to have such in my heart against either, whether they were born again or not, I see the person and not the system they "belong" to. Neither Roman Catholicism or Protestantism has all the Truth, this is something each Christian has to seek out by searching the Scriptures for themselves.
Further to my last post, as regards the reason why this occurs is quite simple, hatred, bigotry and sectarianism occurs in believers and the unsaved because of carnality as they are works of the flesh. 1Cor 3v1-8, Gal 5v16-26.

massorite

Jan 3, 2015
Why???

I was born and raised in a Catholic family. I walked away from God into the darkness before coming back...
When I came back to God I had a very basic understanding of Christianity and some false perceptions...
I read the bible and had some and had some serious concerns about the practices of my Catholic parents...
They're Portuguese and have always had a huge adoration for Fatima which I became very uncomfortable about it...
I still am uncomfortable and often pray to God to show them mercy if they have fallen into idolatry.

I joined a Catholic and was met with hostility so started to look for another church...
I thought that there were only a hand full of denominations and that they were all friendly to each other...
The amount of division and hatred was so distressing it often brought me tears...
I became so confused that I just decided to keep going to a Catholic church to worship God...

I joined a Christian forum and for 6 months it was all good. They were all friendly and welcoming...
I don't promote Catholicism, i don't defend Catholicism but people on that forum started to treat me differently...
People became more critical, more hostile and just straight out rude but i had no idea why...

I had changed my avatar to a picture of the Sacred Heart of Christ. Well, little did I know that it was a Catholic thing and little did i know that people would go from being friendly to being obnoxious because of that...

When i started an inquiry thread i got responses like "Catholics are..." or "the Vatican..."
I was either being generalized or i was being punished for the decisions made by the RCC in the past...
Not all Catholics are the same, we aren't robots and we have no authority over the Vatican's decisions either.

Why is that??? Im not saying everyone is like that but there are certain people that are.
My heart goes out to you for your pain and heart brokenness. I was raised a Catholic but not very strictly and I was saved in a church of Christ even though I had already been sprinkled as a baby. The church of Christ is a weird kind of church that doesn't believe in miracles and doesn't use musical instruments in the worship of Christ. But let me tell you that when I came up out of that water I had a love for everybody that I had never experienced before which was the love of Christ which was of course a "miracle". But I left that church because they tried to teach me stuff that was not according to the bible and they rejected me in a very ugly way when I tried to understand and did not agree with them.
Many years later at the behest of God I spent about 3 1/2 years studying the events, changes and growth of the early and I found some surprising things about the Catholic/Universal church that do not line up with the Word of God so here are a few of those facts. Firstly in the Catholic encyclopedia it say that if you are not a Catholic you are doomed to go to hell. Period with no questions asked. The Catholic leadership has elevated Mary and many other men and woman to a god like level and advocate prayer to these individuals as if they had the same power as Christ does to answer prayer and to perform miracles which is called Paganism according to the Word of God as there is only one true and living God that has the power to answer prayers. I once went on a mission trip to a small town in Mexico named Tula and when I went into the only church in the town I found that a statue of Christ was covered up with a cloth and a priest was praying over a woman on her knees with a big mural of Guadeloupe on the wall behind the priest. The leadership of the church had Christ covered up because they wanted the people to pray to the adopted patron saint of the town for one week in celebration of that "saint".
In about 300 to325 AD the Catholic church adopted pagan ritual into the worship of Christ in their efforts to appeal to the pagans which is why Easter and Christmas as we know them were never celebrated for the first 300 years of the church and Christ has never instructed us to celebrate His birthday because celebrating birthdays was and still is considered to be a pagan practice by Christ and the Jewish leadership and people. Over that last 1500 years the Catholic church has been responsible for many atrocities and paganism within the Catholic church which has more then a billion members world wide and the Catholic church in America is not the same church it is all over the rest of the world.
Just the other day some folks from the BLM movement got together and burned a pile of bibles and the BLM movement is according to their beliefs are antichrist. Do you think that you can become a member of the BLM movement/organization and not be associated with burning bibles and an antichrist person??? No you can not. There is no such a thing as a different thinking member of the BLM movement and if you do think differently then the beliefs of the leadership of the BLM movement they will run you off in short order or worse.
The same applies for the Catholic church. There is no such a thing as separate or different thinking Catholic who doesn't abide strictly by the rules, regulations and doctrinal beliefs dictated by the Catholic leadership. If you do think differently then you are not a true Catholic and if you claim to be a Catholic but think differently and do not abide by the doctrinal beliefs of the Catholic church you are rejected from both sides of the fence because the Catholic church is full of paganism.
My advise to you is get yourself away from the Catholic church and the Catholic bible, turn to a NKJ bible and strictly adhere to what the Word of God says and get yourself hooked up with a nondenominational church.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Why???

Its sad when Christians hate catholics and not Catholicism. And not know how to separate the two . We should grieve over people who choose to go into Catholicism. It is a false Gospel and a false Jesus they teach. I'm not saying all are not saved , but this would be inspite of the teachings and not because of it .

Mar 28, 2016
Its sad when Christians hate catholics and not Catholicism. And not know how to separate the two . We should grieve over people who choose to go into Catholicism. It is a false Gospel and a false Jesus they teach. I'm not saying all are not saved , but this would be inspite of the teachings and not because of it .
Yes we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, the things seen, but the unseen spiritual things.

Catholisicim hates sola scriptura .(all things written in the law and the prophets) . They have their own written source of faith (Catechism of the Catholic Church CCC) The law of the fathers as oral traditions of corrupted mankind.

Those kind of fathers making the Bible without effect. A carbon copy of the Pharisees with Sadaucesss. No faith coming from the scripture alone .

In that way no man can serve two teaching masters as Devine

They think they are saved from not having to be a "born again" Christians . A idea that does not come under their belief system . They have no confidence in Christ not seen.

If some are believers its a very dark place.

Jul 9, 2020
I think Catholics are Christian. I don't think their "Hail Mary's" mean they're worshipping Mary. I think protestants do basically the same thing with how they hold jews up on a pedestal. It feels like hypocrisy to me. I think what we're seeing is a case of picking at the spec in your brothers eye, while ignoring the log in your own eye.

Listen, NOBODY has it all figured out 100% correctly. Every single one of us who gets to heaven is gonna see "wow, I was right about this and wrong about that." Catholics are right about some stuff and wrong about some stuff. Same with protestants. It's just very easy to bash the Catholics because they're the biggest Christian group. If Episcopalians were the biggest, then everyone would nitpick on their idiosyncrasies.

@PC123, I think it's very interesting that you posted this subject about how people hate Catholics in light of your signature:
"The further people stray from the truth
the more they will hate those who speak it"

Perhaps part of the reason that some people hate Catholics so much is because the Catholics are speaking some truth???

BTW, I am not Catholic.

Precepts

Nov 10, 2019
Further to my last post, as regards the reason why this occurs is quite simple, hatred, bigotry and sectarianism occurs in believers and the unsaved because of carnality as they are works of the flesh. 1Cor 3v1-8, Gal 5v16-26.
So, it's not because they don't keep God's commandments and seek to change God's laws and times, which they did?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It is unconfessed (to God) & unrepentant sin that brings people to destruction, for it means they have rejected Jesus.

Evil doctrines are of devils that ultimately teach people to continue in sin, such as the Mass (what is called 'Eucharist' [Host]), Auricular Confessional, Indulgences, immortal soul/spirit theology (immortalizes the old man of sin, cannot die), such things like eternal torment which blaspheme God's character, &c.
Perhaps the specific term "auricular confession" has some Catholic bent to it, but Scripture tells us plainly to confess our sins to one another. There is power in doing so; it removes the shame and fear that others might find out. The Catholics have made a silly, unbiblical ritual of it though.

As for eternal torment, that is taught in many Christian churches as well.

Dec 6, 2019
So, I was a RCC, but after the priest abuse thing, I just dont know. But, I dont hate any religions. I think many have something to offer. I am a Christian, but I believe God is far greater than anything I can understand and that we continually learn and grow.
I was taught it is faith and works and I know Protestants say you cant work your way into Heaven ... I agree. but the thing is it is also said that when you are born again you change and you just naturally become a better person.
So is there really an argument there ... kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg. (not that simple). the point is that whether you think that being Saved is an ongoing thing dependent on what you do OR that you are saved on a particular day in a particular moment? Call it not sinning and call that works to not sin?
I dont know. Do the differences really matter? It would be nice we catholics and protestants could just unite and accept one another.
thats all.

K

kaylagrl

I think Catholics are Christian. I don't think their "Hail Mary's" mean they're worshipping Mary. I think protestants do basically the same thing with how they hold jews up on a pedestal. It feels like hypocrisy to me. I think what we're seeing is a case of picking at the spec in your brothers eye, while ignoring the log in your own eye.

You're seriously mistaken. No one prays to Jews. No one asks a Jew to intercede to the Father for them. Hail Mary's are simply wrong. There is no one, man nor woman, between us and Jesus. We can go directly to the throne because of the cross. No pope, no Mary, no priest, no preacher.

Listen, NOBODY has it all figured out 100% correctly. Every single one of us who gets to heaven is gonna see "wow, I was right about this and wrong about that." Catholics are right about some stuff and wrong about some stuff. Same with protestants. It's just very easy to bash the Catholics because they're the biggest Christian group. If Episcopalians were the biggest, then everyone would nitpick on their idiosyncrasies.
The great pity is, Catholicism started out on the right path. But greed and power took over. Yes, they are correct about some things, but the things they are wrong about will have eternal consequences. So it's important to let people know the truth.

Perhaps part of the reason that some people hate Catholics so much is because the Catholics are speaking some truth???

BTW, I am not Catholic.
I don't know anyone who hate Catholics. But I know people who totally disagree with the doctrine and try and show Catholics the truth. That being said I'm sure there are people who hate Catholics because of the child molestation issues. But I don't count that against all Catholics. The people who did it are the ones responsible, and the people who hid it. But when I'm on secular forums I do see people that are very angry about the abuse of children and that it was covered up by the church.

Mar 28, 2016

@PC123, I think it's very interesting that you posted this subject about how people hate Catholics in light of your signature:
"The further people stray from the truth
the more they will hate those who speak it"

BTW, I am not Catholic.
They have another written teaching authority that they call Devine. It makes the word of God without effect. No man can serve two teaching authorities as Master (one) .

I would agree so much that not all heresies as personal opinions of gleaning the truth of the bible are damnable or judgeable. Only those that deny Christ has bought them. . Paying the full price of their sin . Catholics clearly do despite to the Grace of God.

1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

In that way oral traditions are acceptable except for the ones that clearly do; "despite to the grace of God" The grace by which we were bought with a price. . His own Spirit life .

They would have the pew sitters that must seek the approval of their fathers ,what they call vereable ones (worship-able) .Those who lord it over the faith of others. They teach that somehow some entity they call Mary alone received the fulness of grace .And everyone else a unknow remnant of grace . And therefore they must offer their sufferings (anything) as partial payment while still having the breath of life. . and continue after in a unknown place called "purgatory" sufferings a unknow amount pain or remnant of time.

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

From that. . . the fruit of that kind of heresy that denies the grace of God .

A carbon copy of the Pharisees with Sadducees .Just different names same kind of fathers that lord it over the faith of others.

Galatians 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
So you think Catholicism is leading people to eternal destruction but at the same time are still friends and happy to have relatives who are Catholic?
maybe they are friends with you because they don't believe that, what's your excuse?
or is it the reason you are friends is because you recognize the essential sameness of your fundamental spiritual brotherhood in your heart, and only see the problem in your mind, in which case it is your theology that needs revision because you've recognised the actual truth but haven't processed it yet?
This is an inane, senseless comment, without meaning.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
All of the many that do not teach to solely trust in the death, burial, and resurrection of God in the flesh, in the form of His Son,Jesus Christ.