Why Do Christians Ignore Most of the Old Testament Rules?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I like lip flappin, but it does get tiresome at times.
In my neck of the woods folks say flappin your jaws…….almost forgot that.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I like lip flappin, but it does get tiresome at times.
I know but the lip flapper does get so tired of people putting God down for speaking to us through OT people and almost gunning it for the law that is our guide.

I'll make a deal. Stop the complaining because the world runs by God's laws and I'll stop complaining about people complaining!!!

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The divisions are artificial and not specified in Scripture. They are one man's interpretation only.
i've heard lots of people talk about dividing the law into segments. it's probably the most common way the law is viewed among Christians today. almost always the next thing they say is that the believer is not under one or more of the segments but is still under the other segments.
but i've never read anywhere in scripture of the law being spoken of this way. i have heard people say that when the scripture uses the singular word 'law' what it really means is only one of these artificial subsets, but it's simple not what the Bible actually says. it always boils down to one of these artificial divisions which, as far as i can tell from reading the Book, are of human origin. because the Bible doesn't ever talk about it as being segmented this way -- as far as i'm aware.

e.g.

(civil law)* Sometimes overlapped with the moral laws*
doesn't this statement reveal the distinction of 'three subsets of the law' as arbitrary?
if you were doing math, and you supposed there are three classes of some set of vectors, and you found even one instance of a vector that didn't neatly fit your 3 classes, you'd have proven that the supposition of 3 classes is incorrect. smh..

the next thing that inevitably happens when you point this out is that you get accused of loving iniquity and living lawlessly.
which isn't necessarily true, at all.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
there are only two kinds of laws:
  1. laws that fit neatly into one of the categories
  2. laws that don't

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I know but the lip flapper does get so tired of people putting God down for speaking to us through OT people and almost gunning it for the law that is our guide.

I'll make a deal. Stop the complaining because the world runs by God's laws and I'll stop complaining about people complaining!!!

I am not comoplaining. If yo look at many of my posts I implore those who say bey love Jesus to learn from Him, and, it falls on deaf ears most of the time.

As for the OT, I also remind folks that the OT contains the NT, the problem is that instead of making at least the OT plus at least the Gosepels and Revelation one book, man has divided them into two books, this should not be.

Also I ask people to hear Jesus when He teaches how the law is to be obeyed under mercy...

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
doesn't the tithe fit all three of these 'divisions'?

it's civil as it is a requirement as taxation.
it's ceremonial as it is brought like offerings and given before priests.
it's moral as it is meant to support the poor and the levite who, like the poor, has no wealth of his own.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
I truly believe the Bible was written in a certain way that one cannot just skim through and understand the message. Like when your grade school teacher asked you to read a book and toll you she would know if you only read the Cliff’s note version.

What many casual readers and some experienced readers, with blinders on, do not get is that there are 2 covenants. The first ends at Jesus death on the cross.

Jesus death and reserection changed the universe!
It is the most important event in history!
The law and it’s meeting revolves around that event!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I truly believe the Bible was written in a certain way that one cannot just skim through and understand the message. Like when your grade school teacher asked you to read a book and toll you she would know if you only read the Cliff’s note version.

What many casual readers and some experienced readers, with blinders on, do not get is that there are 2 covenants. The first ends at Jesus death on the cross.

Jesus death and reserection changed the universe!
It is the most important event in history!
The law and it’s meeting revolves around that event!
You are absolutely right about one thing, no one can just read and interpret the Word. What is understood from the reading thereof is only because it has been revealed by the HOly Spirit, by God.

No man will ever know all of it, just what God knows each needs to know for his individual walk with Jesus Christ. No one is capable of robbing our Father, Yahweh, of truth and true knowledge and wisdom, it must be received of HIm.

Repeating the re-requisite to entering the Kingdom from Jesus, unless we turne and become as children, we cannot enter the Kingdom of God. This means not by being a theologian, anyone can do this, or a scientist, anyone can do this als. Not even appp0roaching God as an adult for He is the Father of Children not fellow adults, next to Him there are none.

If this sounds odd, pray about it, and ask God as the Father hearing a child ask.

7seasrekeyed

You cannot reason with anyone who claims to love Jesus yet will not hear him.

Pray for all souls, it is our due. God bless you and all, amen.
it seems 'law abiders' congratulate themselves on doing what no one has ever been able to do and congratulate themselves on self sanctification

just how far down your nose do you have to look to imagine you play any part in being righteous?

pray for all souls? no actually Jesus prayed for those who have come to Him and God sanctifies us through His Spirit...not through the law that has never ever made one person righteous.

to state those who actually believe that Christ was sent by God to die for us that those who believe in Him will have eternal life, believing He has removed our sins as far as the east from the west make false claims, is reckless and the self righteousness revealed in such a statement is by far, one of the worst I have seen in this forum

not bad enough you want to push the law rather than Jesus, you have to make a mockery out of the actual salvation God has given to us through His Son

so you go ahead and pray...but start with your own soul which may be in jeopardy

no one has ever stated what you and others here try to say...which is we think we can sin all we want and still be saved

why is it that you cannot acknowledge the truth but would rather put forth the same old lie over and over?

7seasrekeyed

Just how in the world could you come up with the conclusion that God worked for 4,000 years, until Christ came in the flesh, to make you feel guilty!!! God's purpose for us is to live on with Him, God established the world to work toward this as soon as man rebelled and knew sin. From THIS you get God wanting you to go on a guilt trip?
you honestly win the award in this forum, and that is no small thing, for utterly and completely misunderstanding what a person wrote

I don't need to stick up for dcon, he can answer for himself...but your absurd rendering of what he actually wrote, is in a class all by its little self :rolleyes:

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
no one has ever stated what you and others here try to say...which is we think we can sin all we want and still be saved
At what point during our daily sinning do we forfeit salvation?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
you honestly win the award in this forum, and that is no small thing, for utterly and completely misunderstanding what a person wrote

I don't need to stick up for dcon, he can answer for himself...but your absurd rendering of what he actually wrote, is in a class all by its little self :rolleyes:
It is obvious you have never actually read my posts on how the law is under grace so there is no communicating with someone of your caliber

When you have learned from Jesus Christ on this subject come back and call me more of your choice names...

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I see Jesus saying, if you love God and love your neighbor, you have fulfilled the Law. Of course He said that to people still living under the Law.
Another of your monumental condemnations of the Wisdom of God. You have just said if you love you are under the law……..wow, that is something else.

If you love you fulfill all the law..........remember love contains all of the law and commandments we should obey....but that probably makes yu think a person us under the law and not save by the mercy of our Father, right?

Earnestly talk to our Father and ask Him....

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Why do certain people mix law and grace and teach salvation by "grace plus law, faith plus works?" :unsure:

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Another of your monumental condemnations of the Wisdom of God. You have just said if you love you are under the law……..wow, that is something else.

If you love you fulfill all the law..........remember love contains all of the law and commandments we should obey....but that probably makes yu think a person us under the law and not save by the mercy of our Father, right?

Earnestly talk to our Father and ask Him....
I think you look for ways to insult me (and others). Any itty-bitty thing you can sink your fangs into is fair game. What I see is your misunderstanding of my posts.

I tend to do short posts
Short posts tend to not be always succinct. But correct, none the less.
Jesus DID say what I call the 'love law" during His ministry which, in case you missed it, was under the OLD covenant of Law.
It does fulfill the Law.

Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and [a]foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

I said nothing wrong.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When you post anything contray to what Jesus Christ teaches, I will tell you, first with patiene, but if the error persists in calling itself truth, I must be firm……..that is tough love not nothing more nothing less.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I think you look for ways to insult me (and others). Any itty-bitty thing you can sink your fangs into is fair game. What I see is your misunderstanding of my posts.

I tend to do short posts
Short posts tend to not be always succinct. But correct, none the less.
Jesus DID say what I call the 'love law" during His ministry which, in case you missed it, was under the OLD covenant of Law.
It does fulfill the Law.

Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

I said nothing wrong.
The life of discipleship flows out of the new command, to love one another as He loved us (John 13:34), which Paul refers to as the "law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2). Love fulfills the law (Romans 13:8-10). (y)

Mar 28, 2016
I would suggest there are two kinds or types of laws. Even within the three that some one offered Civil, Moral and Ceremonial . The written law or letter that kills and the law of faith, the unseen understanding that which heals .Together they make the perfect law .

Christian are under the law of God.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
It is simple for the believer to understand which laws are t be obeyed because they coincide with Love..

I oud easily list dome of them now as I have so many times before but all who do indeed follow the law of the Spirit know them when confronted with a choice to obey.

The Ten Commandments are there, and there are many more.

I could again list just some of the hundreds of laws Jesus Christ fulfilled but again, they fall on dears that do not hear, and when they read tehWord they do with eyes that do not see.

When the law was removed from stone it was engraved on the hearts of all who believe God. Although it is not thought of as a law, every Word from the muth of Christ must be obeyed. Actually the Father did command us, unless you think He suiggests aything, when He said this is my Beloved Son, hear Him

The worst thing i HAVE DONE when posting in the threads is to beg and plea for those who say they are saved by Christ to hear Him, learn of Him, and obey HIm…...